2 News stories.

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

LjSpike

2 News stories.

Postby LjSpike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 am UTC

Well, America appears to be wanting tighter gun laws, at last.
But undoubtedly the people of the USA will come back with their biggest reason for having guns.
"We need to protect ourselves from the guys with guns!"

And the UK has decided to vote to leave the EU
(Damnit. Why can't I be old enough to vote yet! Its my future them old pensioners are deciding :cry: )

So for once, some news that isn't all about terrorism, or the middle east, or both.
Seriously though. I don't reckon America will successfully tighten gun laws (for the next 50 years at least), and I'm kind of disappointed with us leaving the EU. It'll make me migrating out of Britain to some nice Mediterranean country for like, some point in my life (perhaps retirement when that eventually comes, It'll probably be when I'm 110 with how they keep raising the bar). I guess those countries have to be happy, our pensioners won't be able to move their and steal the water for golf courses, and causing crops to fail (which, funny as it may sound, is a legitimate problem. To be fair, the UK causes more problems for the EU than the EU causes for the UK I reckon).

Additionally, Farage said Norway was thinking of leaving, and called it Nexit, then some other country would leave and it'd be [something]Exit, then Sweden would leave. I presume he'd call it Sexit if we follow this pattern, but he didn't wish to fill us in on what that'd be called.

Tyndmyr

Re: 2 News stories.

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 pm UTC

These are already topics in the news section, I believe.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

LjSpike wrote:Well, America appears to be wanting tighter gun laws, at last.
But undoubtedly the people of the USA will come back with their biggest reason for having guns.

Well... some people in America want tougher gun laws. Oddly enough, none of the new and supposedly tougher laws being proposed by anyone would have stopped the most recent mass shooting, nor any of the other major shootings in the past several years. It's almost as if people who are willing to commit mass murder aren't deterred by gun laws...

Additionally, Farage said Norway was thinking of leaving, and called it Nexit, then some other country would leave and it'd be [something]Exit, then Sweden would leave. I presume he'd call it Sexit if we follow this pattern, but he didn't wish to fill us in on what that'd be called.

NorAway? Swexit?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 am UTC

A friend on another board suggested a list. My favorite was "Departugal."
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

LjSpike

Postby LjSpike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:01 am UTC

cphite wrote:
LjSpike wrote:Well, America appears to be wanting tighter gun laws, at last.

Well... some people in America want tougher gun laws. Oddly enough, none of the new and supposedly tougher laws being proposed by anyone would have stopped the most recent mass shooting, nor any of the other major shootings in the past several years. It's almost as if people who are willing to commit mass murder aren't deterred by gun laws...

NorAway? Swexit?

Well, organised tough gun laws do (in most cases) work well. There is a country nearby the middle east (honestly, I can't remember its name, sorry) which has some of the toughest gun laws, but has a lot of gun crime due to various reasons. Anyway, the main benefit of banning guns, or banning (most) guns is that people who use guns for illegal purposes are easier to catch, or deterred. Hence why in Britain we've only had one school shooting, and its fairly rare we actually have a shooting at all. America however hasn't banned guns and has many many many school shootings alone (although obviously, America may have a few more than Britain, its larger, Britain has only had a single school shooting ever, america has many a year).

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:52 am UTC

Democrats stage sit in over gun legislation
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=116822

British EU referendum
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=113501
He/Him/His Image

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:49 am UTC

That second one already has a thread, so...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
These are already topics in the news section, I believe.

Ayup. Lock'd.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “Serious Business”