Methods of ensuring legal compliance

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

peterdavidcarter

Methods of ensuring legal compliance

Postby peterdavidcarter » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:22 am UTC

I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action?

PeteP
What the peck?

Re: Methods of ensuring legal compliance

Postby PeteP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:54 am UTC

To put it in plainly you want to hack something, right? To remove the information yourself (or am I misunderstanding what the act is about and you are trying to get some information?)

Seriously what do you expect from this question? You gave no information about this so there is no reason for any answer beside reminding you that it remains illegal even if you think they should do something they didn't.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

Yeah, if someone isn't complying with a data protection request, legally (bear in mind I am not a lawyer) your first recourse should be to send them a letter reminding them of your request and saying you are considering legal action if they do not comply. Then if they still do not comply you pursue legal action.

I am almost certain "they didn't comply with a data protection request" would not be accepted as a defence against whatever offence the hack could be considered
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:48 pm UTC

There are also organisations that can help with FOI requests.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:16 pm UTC

peterdavidcarter wrote:I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action?
How much do you like jail?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:32 am UTC

You're on a roll here, peter. Tell us more about your dangerous Internet life!
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:57 am UTC

peterdavidcarter wrote:I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action?

Is there a reason you use a real name as your user name?

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Because my parents named me so?

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

The picture is also of a real Dragon-Bear. After a manner of speaking.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Perfectly reasonable. If you are caught, simply show the authorities a copy of the request.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm UTC

I agree with the others in that your best option is just to send repeated requests to remove it.

I once had a situation where I wanted to get a photo of mine taken down (somebody was using a really crappy version of a photo I put on a forum to sell stuff). I ended up sending like 25 requests to the dude and his webhost, and they did take it down. I became progressively less friendly with each request -- by the last request, I was informing him that I could take legal action against him and would be willing to.

Basically, pester until whatever it is you want done is done.

This thread is alluding to carrying out illegal behaviour, which is not condoned on this board, and hence lock'd.

Return to “Serious Business”