Distributing Condoms in School

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Malice

Re: Distributing Condoms in School

Postby Malice » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:06 am UTC

You'd have to prove that the condom failed because of the school. Condoms might fail because of a flaw at the factory; they might fail because of the actions of those using it. But unless someone poked holes in them with a pin, it's hard to imagine how they could get screwed up at the school. It's not like the school can test them.

This shouldn't be that much of a problem, anyway, provided that schools are able to buy good condoms and not the cheap-o crap. Which they should be doing anyway.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

superglucose wrote:Learning by mistakes is done in multiple ways. And don't say that I fail to see using a child as punishment is a bad thing when I've SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE! Again you're trying to black-white an issue.

You didn't say the exact opposite. The exact opposite is "no, we shouldn't be okay with just having them 'live with the consequences', because the 'consequences' are a child."
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Or even the minor lesson of a permanent disease that, while it won't kill you, will ruin a great many of your chances at being in a romantic relationship down the road.

I guess that's akin to losing an arm when you learn you shouldn't juggle chainsaws.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Indeed. There's a reason we erase criminal records at eighteen. Mistakes you make when you're still learning shouldn't fuck you over forever.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

I think what he is trying to say is that it's okay to brand someone with an iron but they don't deserve to have the smell of burnt flesh linger with them.

If only there was someway to only give the teenagers stds...

ohhh... Just thought of an analogy/question. Do the kids that get into cars with strangers deserve to be raped and killed? There is a big difference between saying that getting an std is the teenagers fault, and saying that they deserved to get an std. Do you think that the teenagers that had unprotected sex but didn't get infected deserve to be punished with an std?
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 am UTC

Malice wrote:You'd have to prove that the condom failed because of the school. Condoms might fail because of a flaw at the factory; they might fail because of the actions of those using it. But unless someone poked holes in them with a pin, it's hard to imagine how they could get screwed up at the school. It's not like the school can test them.

This shouldn't be that much of a problem, anyway, provided that schools are able to buy good condoms and not the cheap-o crap. Which they should be doing anyway.

Ideally, yes, the school will be protected from liability and a judge would throw the case out pretty quick if it made it to court.
Unfortunately, in today's "Let's go sue everyone else for our problems" society combined with the fact that schools don't have the money nor do they want the publicity of a law suit, they'll simply remove the condoms and settle with the family suing them.

This doesn't even account for the lawsuits that will be brought as soon as the school hands out the condoms for "corrupting the children" or other such arguments.

EDIT: Wow, started reading this and, tired as I am, didn't realize that the last post was from half a month ago.

Return to “Serious Business”