Obama's "Call to Service"

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Did your School have a community service requirement?

High School - Yes
24%
High School - No
25%
High School - A sponsored, but voluntary, program of some kind
9%
College - Yes
1%
College - No
25%
College - A sponsored, but voluntary, program of some kind
16%

Total votes: 161

Griffin

Re: Obama's "Call to Service"

Postby Griffin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 am UTC

But then again, mandatory also implies they're, you know, telling you what to do, beyond "Do something".

Parts of this program would be mandatory (the time spent and the general purpose) but other parts (the specific job, when you do, how you do it) would all be voluntary. Since you're the one choosing to do any of the many options, you would be volunteering to do that specific community service, even though you wouldn't be volunteering to do community service in general.

Anyways, I don't think what we have here is so much a logical disagreement as a fundamental one - on multiple levels.

First, the purpose of public schooling.
Second, the role of school age children in regards to "forced labour", and what exactly constitutes forced labour.

Going back and forth stating our opinions on these things isn't going to change anyone's opinions, but can we at least agree that its not the job of the fed to decide?
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Return to “Serious Business”