Humanity's Consciousness

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 am UTC
Contact:

Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Solitude » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Greetings!
I've lurked on SB for a long time, but I haven't had a reason to post until now.
Hopefully the lot of you will be able to forgive my lack of prior introduction in light of the topic I have to discuss.

I recently, seemingly independently, had a thought that I am now aware has been considered by a number of thinkers recently, so it is not entirely new in that sense. I will transpose my idea from the stream-of-consciousness instant message log, to post format, leaving my general structure intact.
As such, you'll have to read through the logic before you get to the meat.
As a disclaimer, my terminology is far from perfect, and I have abstracted a lot of this. Correct me please, but don't lynch me for my misappropriation of terms.

Skipping over the quantum bits-of-stuff-that-make-other-stuff that aren't relevant to discussion, every organism consists of atoms.
Atoms join with other atoms to form molecules, but these molecules consist mostly of empty space. The connections between the parts of a molecule are
then held together by a number of strange forces I don't well understand. Molecules then join with other molecules to form compounds, once again mostly consisting of empty space between the individual molecules, and the space between their constituent atoms. These compounds then form proteins, etc, ultimately culminating in a single cell organism. This single cell organism is self contained, having most of or all of the parts necessary to maintain its continued existence, and a drive to survive and reproduce; however, the cell consists mostly of empty space. My emphasis of this will soon be relevant.

Multiple cells can be combined into more complex organisms. Individual cells still contain most of the equipment necessary for their survival, but they give up or outsource other parts for the collective good of the greater organism. A human consists of the right combination of cells that have given up parts of their own autonomy for the sake of a larger being. Individually, none of the parts of a human are conscious. Cells are not conscious, compounds are not conscious, etc, but together, they create a being that has something that that being will refer to as an I. It has a consciousness spawned from parts that have no consciousness. It is still important to realize, at this point, that the human being consists mostly of space. The strange bonds between atoms and the things under atoms are what hold the creature together, but the creature is still mostly empty space on a microscopic level.

Now, a human being, on this level, is very much like the single cell organism. The human being has most or all of the parts necessary for its continued survival (granted, its reproduction requires another human in most cases) and it is driven by the need to survive and reproduce. The primary difference, other than scale, is that the human being has a consciousness. Now, put a group of humans together. A crowd of humans is bound only by social laws, culture, etc; no physical ties hold a group of humans together, very much like the atoms in a molecule, or the cells in a multi-cell organism (following the thought that a human is analogous to a single cell organism, on the right scale).

Here is the difficult part, as I have to make a logical jump that is difficult for me to put into words. As such, I will ask the needed question and leave you to make the necessary connection for yourself.

Ignoring the fact that a human is (seemingly) individually conscious, my question is such:
Does "humanity" have a consciousness? It would seem that we collectively, through our social norms, etc, form a certain type of organism. It doesn't really matter that we are so loosely connected, as I have shown through my previous mentions of the empty space. If humans are analogous to cells in a body, (ignoring individual consciousness) then humanity as a whole could be conscious as a singular entity without any of us individual parts being able to perceive that consciousness. It would exist on a level over our heads. Next, if that consciousness doesn't yet exist, are we moving toward one? This isn't quite the same as a hivemind, but closer to the concept of the overmind presented by Arthur C. Clarke in Childhood's End.
Finally, if this is a reality or a possible future reality, what does it mean for us?

Hopefully my words are clear enough to be understood. I look forward to your comments, and let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Mzyxptlk
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 am UTC

No, I do not think you can equate human civilisation to some sort of consciousness. I have a few reasons for believing this.

Only one of the steps you mentioned (namely, from cell to multicell) carries with it the emergence of consciousness. I don't think you can generalise this to all following steps (multicell to civilisation, civilisation to observable universe?), at least not without some sort of evidence. If f(x) = 2x^3 and g(x) = sqrt(4096x), then even though f(4) = g(4) (and f(0) = g(0)), they are not equivalent (or even remotely alike).

As for the single cell to multicell transition itself, of the group multicellular organisms, only one subcategory is generally recognised to have a conciousness (humans). So even within the group of multicellular organisms, the presense of consciousness cannot be universally applied.

And even if you applied the label consciousness to humanity, I think you're forgetting one step, namely the step from human to human civilisation. Up until very recently (the last 10 years), there was very little contact between different civilisations. Sure, we may have traded a bit with the Chinese and taken slaves from Africa to South America, but civilisations barely mixed at all. It would therefore be more accurate to consider each civilisation a consciousness (though I still disagree, as per 1 and 2).
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Tomo
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Tomo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

This is the plot of Serial Experiments Lain!

I doubt that it is the case, although given the point that if this was true, the individual "cells" would be unaware of it, it's difficult to argue against. It could be possible. The problem with these sorts of ideas is that they can't be proved / there is no evidence for or against them, so they're difficult to discuss usefully.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

User avatar
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.
Posts: 2079
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

Solitude wrote:Skipping over the quantum bits-of-stuff-that-make-other-stuff that aren't relevant to discussion, every organism consists of atoms.
Atoms join with other atoms to form molecules, but these molecules consist mostly of empty space. The connections between the parts of a molecule are
then held together by a number of strange forces I don't well understand. Molecules then join with other molecules to form compounds, once again mostly consisting of empty space between the individual molecules, and the space between their constituent atoms. These compounds then form proteins, etc, ultimately culminating in a single cell organism. This single cell organism is self contained, having most of or all of the parts necessary to maintain its continued existence, and a drive to survive and reproduce; however, the cell consists mostly of empty space. My emphasis of this will soon be relevant.


I'm not sure cell molecules really are that sparse, but it is true that they consist mostly of empty space, because the insides of atoms are mostly empty. To use a generic illustration science teachers like to use, if the nucleus of an atom was the size of this full stop '.', the electrons that make up its 'shell' would be 50 metres away (stolen from here, they never said what atom it was. I assume hydrogen- what's good enough for Dr. Manhattan is good enough for me). Neutron stars are made of neutrons packed tightly together, without the huge spaces we get in matter as we know it. The density of water is about 995 kg/m3, and cells a little more at about 1035 kg/m3 at body temperature (source).

Neutron stars have a density of about 370000000000000000 kg/m3(wiki article). This is what happens when you have no 'empty space.' But from outside atoms, I wouldn't say cell molecules are that sparse. Sure, iron is about 7 times denser, but it's not 35000000000000 times denser. The 'number of strange forces' you speak of that keeps molecules together is the electromagnetic force, which is why chemists concern themselves with electrons as much as they do.

But to answer the question 'does humanity have a consciousness': yes and no. They call it society. It has it's own personality, and it shapes the way its 'cells' do things. But seeing an intellect in it is a bit like seeing a face on the moon or hearing a voice in the wind: humans love to personify things that aren't alive, because so many of our senses are geared towards interpreting the facial expressions/moods/thoughts of others.

Mzyxptlk wrote:Up until very recently (the last 10 years), there was very little contact between different civilisations.


There are three zeros missing from your figure? They call them 'Arabian numerals' for a reason.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7594
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Zamfir » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Solitude, I think I see your point, but I think that using the words "consciousness" or " organism" for humanity, or a civilisation, doesn't add a lot unless you mean that it really shares a lot of characteristics with things that we always call organisms, or of which we always say that they have consciousness.


For consciousness, I don't see that at all. What behaviour does humanity, but not the humans in it, exhibit that conscious people also exhibit? That's the question, and I personally don't think there is much.

Organism is another matter, especially for humanity as a whole, I dont think civilisations have clear enough borders to be called organisms. But humanity does have a some behaviour, growth, consumption, adaptation to its environment, that organisms also have, and that perhaps transcends the choices of individual people. They are certainly beyond the power of any indivdual to really change, and humanity can grow while of its people eventually die, it can consume more even if all people consume less. So perhaps it does make sense to compare humanity with an organism, although perhaps more to something simple, say a fungus, more than to an animal or so.

But I am not sure if we really learn something from that comparison that we could not learn when simply thinking about humanity as humanity. To learn something new from the analogy, we would have to look at organisms, say "hey, this particular behaviour is common in all organisms", and then find out out that there is something like that in humanity too, that we hadn't seen before. I am not sure if such examples exist, but perhaps they do.

User avatar
Indon
Posts: 4433
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Alabama :(
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Indon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I'm inclined to think humanity is kinda hivemindish, yeah. Not so much organism-like, though. Ecosystem, sure (which is a bunch of organisms interacting), but not a single superorganism (which, I might add, is an actual term with an actual, relevant meaning).

The trick is, how do you measure what makes a group more or less hivemindish? The speed at which the group comes to and propagates communal decisions? Perhaps the ability of the community to solve problems? I mean, we can look at a bunch of people and say, "Well, yeah, as a group we're better at doing things than individually," but how can we measure that in a meaningful way?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Image

User avatar
ExistencialElevator
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: The most boring town in Sweden
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby ExistencialElevator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Solitude, you raise a very interesting question. I myself have thought in these areas before, but never come up with such a well formed question. Right now, I do not know weather I believe that humanity make up a bigger consciousness, but I would like to think that it does. I do not know why though. I would like to this to be true. Probably because I am an atheist, but I still have an urge to believe that we are all part of something bigger then ourselves. I have no problem believing that humanity and consciousness was just a coincidence, but it feels better to believe that there is something greater than our pointless lives.
Hit3k wrote:I shall call you PerPer.

suffer-cait wrote:i vote we all call him that, we need a doubles filter on the fora.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby mosc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

This thread is very relevant:
XKCD SB: Evolutionary Psychology

Basically, there is an emerging belief in science that more and more of our underlying behavior patterns are genetic in origin. Since we all share a genetic past, it acts almost as an underlying current of preference in our society. I think Solitude might be reaching for some metaphysical connection between people which I really don't believe in but I think there is more programmed psychology in our DNA than most people realize. In humans, it's less pronounced because we have higher reasoning functions and are easily adaptable. In more simplistic animals though, it is much more dominant. Ants, for example, function as a hive in complex ways that no individual understands. It is the genetic programming of behavior in each of them that allows the group to function on a macro level. Their "collective consciousness" if you like. I think this is very much in humans as well. It's just that it's buried deeper. I don't think we talk to each other with our minds but I think we subconsciously respond to stimulus.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Indon
Posts: 4433
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Alabama :(
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Indon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

mosc wrote:This thread is very relevant:
XKCD SB: Evolutionary Psychology

Isn't that the thread where a bunch of people - myself included - ripped the discipline apart as being one step from outright pseudoscience?

So, not so sure of the relevance it would have, with anything.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Image

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby mosc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

Indon wrote:Isn't that the thread where a bunch of people - myself included - ripped the discipline apart as being one step from outright pseudoscience?

Yes, well, the topic was mostly about some outlandish claims and how overly fluffy and non-scientific psych (evolutionary psych OR regular psych) research is. However, I disagree that the thread "ripped the discipline apart" at all.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Solitude » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 am UTC

But to answer the question 'does humanity have a consciousness': yes and no. They call it society. It has it's own personality, and it shapes the way its 'cells' do things. But seeing an intellect in it is a bit like seeing a face on the moon or hearing a voice in the wind: humans love to personify things that aren't alive, because so many of our senses are geared towards interpreting the facial expressions/moods/thoughts of others.


In regard to that, it's important not to lose track of the idea that our personal consciousness comes out of things (cells at one level, chemicals at another) that aren't necessarily independently conscious or alive, so that isn't too much of a road block. Also, I don't think consciousness necessarily exists for consciousness' sake, but rather as a system for a cooperating group of cells to remain alive as long as possible. (Yes, individual cells obviously die and are recycled while new cells are formed to take their places-- it's the whole that is important, really.) I also do not think that, following this train of thought, that anything "metaphysical" would be going on, but just a logical extension of our collective existence; I do not necessarily think anything "metaphysical" happens in the human mind-- we have just reached a point where our complicated physical neural network can contain itself logically, thus being able to self describe. My thinking, with this concept, is that through culture, social bonds, etc, humanity could potentially reach a state where it operates like that self-describing neural network in our brains. I think that more accurately describes what goes on, rather than trying to use the term "consciousness", with all its associated meanings and interpretations.

I'm not saying I actually believe this, just to clear things up. I am just trying to, with your collective help, work out this thought. I am also not sure how lucid I am right now-- It's 2:30AM, and for all I know, my Wernicke's Area is impaired from sleep deprivation and what I have typed looks like "circle frog orange sun brick" to the rest of you.

Mzyxptlk
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
Mzyxptlk wrote:Up until very recently (the last 10 years), there was very little contact between different civilisations.

There are three zeros missing from your figure? They call them 'Arabian numerals' for a reason.

No, there are not. Context:
Mzyxptlk wrote:Sure, we may have traded a bit with the Chinese and taken slaves from Africa to South America, but civilisations barely mixed at all.

The zero, though definitely an result of contact between civilisations, and quite possibly a cause of major changes in our civilisation, hasn't resulted in European civilisation mixing with Arabian civilisation. Even today, Western civilisation is very different from Arabian civilisation, and the similarities are largely a result of Western imperialism of the last century.

In any case, though perhaps my estimate of 10 years was a bit too low (though not by a factor thousand), the point stands (namely that there is not one human civilisation, but many).

[edit]Typo.
Last edited by Mzyxptlk on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 am UTC

Given how little we know about consciousness (why does altering brain chemistry change consciousness the way it does? Can AI have consciousness? Is the continuity of consciousness and self anything more than an illusion?) I think it would be hard to come to any sort of conclusion here. It seems impossible to explain what humanities consciousness would look and how it would come about when we don't even understand all but the most trivial aspects of our own.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7594
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Zamfir » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 am UTC

hasn't resulted in European civilisation mixing with Arabian civilisation.


Huh? In the middle ages the economy of medieval Italy was completely based on trade with the Arabian world, and Spain was a part of it. 2000 years ago, Arabia and Europe were largely united in the Roman empire. 3000 years ago, what we call western civilisation was Arabia. If you look at the border between (current) India and the middle east, you see a similar picture: there is intensive contact all the time, and the exact border between them shifts from period to period.

Further East this is even stronger. The Indian Ocean has been an active, large-scale trading zone for millenia. Remember that Indonesia is a muslim country, that does tell something about the cultural contacts a long time ago. If we look back and think that Europe had little contact with the rest of the world until the last few centuries, that says more about the relative isolation of medieval Europe than about the contacts between civilisations in the past.

Mzyxptlk
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:Huh? In the middle ages the economy of medieval Italy was completely based on trade with the Arabian world, and Spain was a part of it. 2000 years ago, Arabia and Europe were largely united in the Roman empire. 3000 years ago, what we call western civilisation was Arabia. If you look at the border between (current) India and the middle east, you see a similar picture: there is intensive contact all the time, and the exact border between them shifts from period to period.

Yet Italy is still overwhelmingly Catholic (87%), as is Spain (80%), while Europe is largely a mixture of various Christian and Jewish subreligions (all part of the Judeo-Christian tradition). The Muslim minority in many countries is a result of recent migration (1960s and onwards), not changes in our civilisation. While large part of Arabia and Europe were indeed united in the Roman Empire, that is not in my opinion (convince me) in and of itself evidence for mixing civilisations. On the contrary, the Eastern Roman Empire outlasted the Western Roman Empire by almost a millenium, indicating a high level of independence between the various parts of the larger Roman Empire.

Zamfir wrote:Further East this is even stronger. The Indian Ocean has been an active, large-scale trading zone for millenia. Remember that Indonesia is a muslim country, that does tell something about the cultural contacts a long time ago.

Unfortunately, I am not as familiar with the history of the Far East.

Zamfir wrote:If we look back and think that Europe had little contact with the rest of the world until the last few centuries, that says more about the relative isolation of medieval Europe than about the contacts between civilisations in the past.

As I said to Pez, it's not the contact between civilisations that I am denying. I'm asserting that only very recently a truly global civilisation has started to emerge. This is in fact so recent that it is very hard to analyse objectively, or even to state that it's more than a fluke, and thus this discussion should not be centered so much on humanity's consciousness, but on the consciousness of civilisations.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7594
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Zamfir » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

As I said to Pez, it's not the contact between civilisations that I am denying. I'm asserting that only very recently a truly global civilisation has started to emerge.


Sounds fair. But what would in your opinion be the difference between contact between civilisations, and contact within civilisations? Presumably the latter is what gives a civilisation some organic properties, so if there is intensive contact between two civilisations, what makes them separate enough to make them the fundamental "units", and not for example language zones, or countries, or cities? Especially as civilisations change, and parts that were once in one are later in others.

I wonder whether our historic experience with the relatively sharp division between muslim and christian regions is not an anomaly, that determines our idea of separate, easiliy indentified civilisations far too much. And even that line was never as sharp as people on both sides claimed it was.

Mzyxptlk
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Mzyxptlk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:But what would in your opinion be the difference between contact between civilisations, and contact within civilisations? Presumably the latter is what gives a civilisation some organic properties, so if there is intensive contact between two civilisations, what makes them separate enough to make them the fundamental "units", and not for example language zones, or countries, or cities? Especially as civilisations change, and parts that were once in one are later in others.

I wonder whether our historic experience with the relatively sharp division between muslim and christian regions is not an anomaly, that determines our idea of separate, easiliy indentified civilisations far too much. And even that line was never as sharp as people on both sides claimed it was.

The main differences between civilisations lies within their cultures, in my opinion. At first I thought that it might be reasonable to state that language was a more important indicator, but by that standard, everyone you can communicate with in your native tongue would live in a civilisation closely related to your own. However, though the French do not speak Dutch, their civilisations are about as close to identical as you're likely to find. I think that the fact that our cultures are similar (we all celebrate Christmas, for example) may be a better indicator.

I agree it would be a mistake to think that you can somehow draw lines between civilisations; as with all definitions, there is a large grey area. Civilisations are much harder to define than cells or human beings, because they are an abstract concept, rather than a physical entity (there's a reason people are so attracted to anthropomorphism (love that word)). Though it is reasonable to say that France and the Netherlands share the same civilisation, can the same be said for France and Austria? France and Poland? France and Russia?

[edit]What, love wordfilters to haaate? :|
[edit2]WHAT, wordfilters wordfilters to awesomeification? This is madness!
Last edited by Mzyxptlk on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7594
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Zamfir » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 am UTC

I am really surprised you see Austria as "further away" then the Netherlands. I would personally see Austria as at least as close as France, if not closer. Mainly because of the language, German is for me far easier than French. I personally think that the importance of language is often underestimated, and religion easily overestimated.

I think the grey borders between cultures, or civilisations, make it fundamentally difficult to ascribe a consciousness or organism-status to a civilisation, instead of to humanity as a whole, or not at all.

Mzyxptlk
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I am really surprised you see Austria as "further away" then the Netherlands. I would personally see Austria as at least as close as France, if not closer.

Hmm, maybe you're right. Despite saying I used France as my base case, my head was actually using the Netherlands instead, hence the confusion.

Zamfir wrote:Mainly because of the language, German is for me far easier than French. I personally think that the importance of language is often underestimated, and religion easily overestimated.

German is easier than French for me too, but the real question is if that implies that means my civilisation is more closely related to the German one better than to the French one. (I don't have an answer)

Zamfir wrote:I think the grey borders between cultures, or civilisations, make it fundamentally difficult to ascribe a consciousness or organism-status to a civilisation, instead of to humanity as a whole, or not at all.

I wish you disagreed with me, it makes for much more interesting posts. :(
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

User avatar
bobbo
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:38 pm UTC
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby bobbo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

The OP brings up a very interesting idea. I read this thread last night and have been thinking about it ever since. I do not think that the human race in it's current state is capable of forming an overarching consciousness, but I think in the future it is theoretically possible.

The one thing that is blocking me from saying that it is completely possible (even likely to happen) is the very fact that humans already have consciousness. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am correct in saying that none of the requisite components for creating a human being have their own consciousness. They are not aware that they are making up part of a larger being, have no aspirations, opinions, wishes etc. Humans on the other hand are conscious; they are fully aware that they exist and (probably) feel that they are one complete being (Fleeting thought: Does every being that has consciousness feel that they are a single complete being?). Most thinking humans do not wish to be told what to do with their lives, they wish to keep their freedom. It is this feeling of "completeness" that I feel would stop the human race forming a complete consciousness that would control each member in they way that our consciousness controls our actions right now.

On the other hand, I do believe that a form of "meta-consciousness" could (and does) exist that influences our (the human race's) actions. For example, someone above proposed that consciousness exists to attempt to keep a collection of cells alive for as long as possible. When faced with a life or death situation where you could save yourself, or two random people, your single consciousness would tell your to keep yourself safe and screw the other guys (this is the protect your own mass of cells conscience) while the overarching human "meta-conscience" would tell you to save the other two, as it would help keep the human race more sustainable.

NOTE: I don't really know what I'm talking about and this is my first vaguely deep post on XKCD forums, and have probably just made an absolute arse out of myself. I find this topic very interesting, so felt like I had to braindump all my thoughts about it.

User avatar
Kaillan
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby Kaillan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:47 am UTC

If my left finger, or more precisely the cells or one cell in one of my left fingers, decided to conduct an expedition to the moon..maybe more appropriately the upper limits of my ceiling fan? Whilst my right fingers watched avidly and documented the experience for their next generation of cells. I might be a little pissed. Maybe I'd reserve judgment until the shuttle returned and the my left finger survived the ordeal.

I think consciousness as we know it in ourselves, will never manifest in society. The chain has been broken so to speak. However to say we aren't apart of a system or "machine" would be overstepping the affects consciousness as had on us as an organism.

Humans have consciousness through the precise interactions between cells and chemicals, rocks do not. A system of rocks forming a mountain does not a mountain mind make. Why would then a system of humans forming a society a society mind make? Maybe I'm missing a premise, that's pretty poor skills on my part. I see the only factor of OP's original idea the breaches the mold is his perceptions of how our society form what seems to be analogous to an organism.
1) Seems like somebody's becoming aware of the consciousness that lack of awareness is dependent on!
2) I'd like this to be discussed in a bit more depth, even with a full understanding of the human brain there's no reason to say that the concept of consciousness can't be a varied phenomenon, and i'd like to dispel any assumptions that "we've done it before we can do it again." nonsense. Yes we are conscious beings (just...just yes okay?) but does that imply that the systems we work in aren't just related to organisms by virtue of our own nature, not the nature of the system we work in.

User avatar
RealityPlusPlus
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Re: Humanity's Consciousness

Postby RealityPlusPlus » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Of course we do, even if we only do as of now. The very fact that you've put the idea into my head means that I will not only look for them, but most likely see them whether they are there or not. But the fact that the idea is in my head means that it's real in my reality. As for whether there's an actual consciousness between a community of near-monkeys, I would have to start off saying that in all likelihood there isn't a community, but on the off chance there is one, there is most likely a high probability that there is a consciousness between them that they aren't understanding. Perception, then, is the key. And more importantly, perception of perception, and on and on, the point is, if there is a consciousness between the near-monkeys that they are not aware of, can if be aware of itself? For that matter, can they possibly be aware of it if the right things happen? Or does the awareness of the consciousness between themselves disintegrate it? Does realizing a connection destroy the connection? Or merely change it? Does it even affect it at all?

I've heard of this idea before but in a different way, that there is such a thing called mob rule. That when a group of people join together they are capable of doing things that they would never have done individually. Partly because they feel empowered by the others around them, and partly because they feel safe going with the group. "Don't blame me, I was just doing what they did." Perhaps there's a bit of truth in that even on the internet, think Habbo raids. I think the mob rule is more of a primitive form of this expansionist consciousness, that those people who joined in on the witch hunts and the inquisition and the lynchings, and hell, even the stoning, crucifixion, and all those other public killings, humiliations, and punishments were all just the beginning of this child's mindset. This expansionist consciousness has grown to uphold life, and respect it, but there's more, it will keep growing, as long as we the humans continue to live. We will continue to interact with each other, and get better at it.

This idea is closely linked to the idea of collective unconsciousness as well, that we can know things that we couldn't have known, that ideas can be given to one another through genetics, or even subliminal messages we pass to each other through body language without even knowing. Watch Waking Life if you already haven't. It touches on these and many many more wonderful ideas.

There's always so much more going on in the background, and there's ALWAYS more questions to be asked.
When programming your reality, do you use code everyone else can understand?

Sadly, I don't.


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests