Trainman

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Buddha

Trainman

Postby Buddha » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 am UTC

I was watching Robot Chicken and a thought came to mind. If a man was hit by a subway train in New York City, and pinned there by the train, such that he could live out a natural lifespan, but only if the train was not moved, what would they do?

p.s. "they" could mean whatever you want it to.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, I not a recognized authority in any field, nor am I a credible source.

Duban

Re: Trainman

Postby Duban » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 am UTC

That depend entirely on the person trapped under the train. The importance of quality of life is one of those things that is entirely subjective. Just think of it as a less extreme example of someone with "locked in" syndrome where they're conscious, but physically unable to even lift a hand. I wouldn't want to live like that, but I'm sure there are many people who would choose to live wherever possible and that's fine too.
Last edited by Duban on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Interesting dilemma, though real-world solutions simply can't apply. There is no way in hell "they" would be able to tell, on the scene, that the currently living man would die if the multi-ton train were removed from its place on top of him. They'd pull it off, he'd die, they'd do an autopsy and discover that removing the train was what finished him off.

And then they'd say "if we'd known that, we'd have rigged up some way to maintain the needed pressure on the required spots on his body, then removed the train." Or something like that.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 am UTC

I once read about a patient at Bellevue Hospital in NYC. He fell off a roof onto a bus, then fell off the bus and got hit by a car. Bad day for him, really.

Anyway, they ended up giving him over a hundred units of blood (plus cell saver). He bleed out his entire blood volume several times over, and was basically bleeding just as fast as they could pump more blood in.

(He survived btw, walked out of the hospital a month later).

Return to “Serious Business”