What if Brazil became a superpower?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Imikulate
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 am UTC

What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Imikulate » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers#Brazil This link provides some insight into potential superpowers that might emerge in the 21st century.

People like to focus on China becoming a superpower. Some might go so far as to make allusions to another cold war with China. (Although I wouldn't mind another space race) But what of the other potential superpowers? I chose to name this thread about Brazil specifically since they seem to be the least thought of when it comes to potential superpowers.

In this thread we discuss the consequences, implications, and effects on the world if there were many so-called "super-powers". Our current suspects seem to be the USA, China, Russia, India, Brazil and the EU.Feel free to propose any other countries or organization you believe are potential superpowers that should be included in this list.

Some questions to get the discussion started:

1. Within this list of suspects the only party without nuclear weapons is Brazil. Do you think Brazil would develop nuclear weapons to solidify it's position as a superpower? Should they?

2. China has been increasing military spending recently. American already has insane military spending. Would the emergence of even more superpowers lead to another, much larger, arms race?

3. Globalization. Would the greater integration of all of the worlds economies "devalue" military strength and greatly increase the value of "soft power"? (diplomatic and economic influence)

4. With further globalization, I argue, there will be demand for a common, international language. Currently English is considered the language of business. Do you think that English will remain the common international standard language? Perhaps a language will be specifically designed for this purpose?

5. All of these potential superpowers have different cultures. Some may be more alike then others, but they are all different. Would you consider culture and cultural influence an important part of being a superpower?

6. Within our list of "suspects" I would say that Africa and the Middle East are underrepresented. What nations or organization, if any, do you think are potential potential superpowers in these regions? Could this region of the world become a hub for proxy wars between the superpowers?

7. Some Americans seem to be thinking of China similarly to how they though of the Soviet Union. Do you think that America's previous experience with the cold war has left them looking for a suitable rival to fill the hole left by the Soviets? Would their past affect the way Americans might view Russia if it were to return to super-power status?

8. During the cold war the Reds and Blues has a bit of a "space-race". Would the emergence of superpowers increase the pace and scale of space research and exploration?

Manabu
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Manabu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 am UTC

Too many questions at once... I will quickly answer some:

1 - They already enrich uranium to 20+ levels, and could make an nuclear bomb if they really wanted to. But I doubt it. In part because I agree with your point 3.

3- As people gets to know each other, depend on each other, mixing with each other, the economic and "moral" price of wars become exponentialy higher. I belive in peace by those ways. Steven Pinker has an good talk on that: The myth of violence. See it on TED.

4- There is already an working and very well proven constructed international language: Esperanto. If it will finally cach-on as USA loses it hegemony? No-one knows and coud be exended in an full topic (probably already has been before).

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 am UTC

Imikulate wrote:4. With further globalization, I argue, there will be demand for a common, international language. Currently English is considered the language of business. Do you think that English will remain the common international standard language? Perhaps a language will be specifically designed for this purpose?
There is so much invested in knowledge of English that I suspect it will be the common language of humanity for the foreseeable future, just like there is so much invested in gold that I suspect gold will be the hoarding resource for the foreseeable future.

Imikulate wrote:6. Within our list of "suspects" I would say that Africa and the Middle East are underrepresented.
The benefit of knowledge is that you can reject false options. Why would you expect there to be a global superpower coming from Africa or the Middle East?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Manabu wrote:1 - They already enrich uranium to 20+ levels, and could make an nuclear bomb if they really wanted to. But I doubt it. In part because I agree with your point 3.

I think it's important to mention that both Argentina and Brazil developed their nuclear weapons capability under military governments, and quit them as soon as democracy returned. There is clearly stil a temptation, simmering through in their nuclear submarine projects for example, but the situation is very different from the days that theyawere actively developing weapons.

That also points out the silliness of "superpower" talks. Brazil's ambitions of pwoer and influence are mostly local, and Argentina is their main rival. I am sure they like the US to stay out of their affairs, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest they intend to have a military rivalry with the US anytime soon.
Last edited by Zamfir on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Sometimes I wish the US would actually act like a superpower. Why the hell are we giving foreign aide? Superpowers should receive tribute, not pay it!

User avatar
lutzj
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am UTC
Location: Ontario

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby lutzj » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Sometimes I wish the US would actually act like a superpower. Why the hell are we giving foreign aide? Superpowers should receive tribute, not pay it!


We already do that via Hollywood :twisted:
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:49 am UTC

lutzj wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Sometimes I wish the US would actually act like a superpower. Why the hell are we giving foreign aide? Superpowers should receive tribute, not pay it!


We already do that via Hollywood :twisted:

Ripping off Spanish films to make 'indie' blockbusters is not 'receiving tribute'.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Where did this idea came from that the US doesn't demand tribute? Germany and Japan literally have to pay the US for the bases in their country, based on the arrangement of post-ww2 occupation. This went a bit over board in the first gulf war, when Japan and Germany were simply told to send cash to US to pay their share in the war.

That left a bad taste with all parties, the US felt like mercenaries and the allies felt humiliated. So direct payments are of the table again, nowadays Germany and Japan send support troops and supplies instead of cash.

Weapons sales are another typical channel. Countries like Saudi Arabia basically have a yearly target which they have to buy in US armaments in order to stay friends. Ever noticed how godawful many jet fighters they have, many of them not even flying? They paid list price for all of them. It's more subtle in other countries. But every time the Dutch government here complains that Joint Strike Fighters are getting expensive and behind schedule, a squad of US diplomats and air force officers come down to remind our politicians and officers of the importance of the Atlantic relation, and what a shame it would be if we bought other jet fighters.

A lot of such relations are friendly. People pay the US through a variety of channels to keep the relationship good. And in return the US provides military support, and doesn't hinder you bad in international agreements or doesn't bring democracy to your country. But it's not that different from paying tribute,just a bit more subtle.

And of course, sometimes things went too far, outside the realm of subtlety, but I guess people know those examples good enough. The subtle channels are probably more important anyway.

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

I would have thought the use of the almighty green-back as the world's reserve currency was a much more direct, if subtler, way of exacting tribute. The economic benefits to the US of the dollar's use throughout the world are huge. The rise of a rival reserve currency could seriously impact the US's ability to finance itself.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby sardia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

You mention space and race a lot, is somebody hoping for a desperate rivalry in order to spur innovation and technological development?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Yes! The EU has a higher GDP than the US, so get the ESA up an running already! Even India is starting to outpace the ESA. Sadly, many US politicians (and indeed, many regular people) think of this when they hear about space exploration.

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

ESA is only being outpaced in terms of manned exploration. Which, if you talk to any serious space scientists, is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. ESA prefers to concentrate on missions with some real scientific pay-off. Well, except Galileo. That's just copying the Yanks with a thin cover of "security concerns".

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Sadly, many US politicians (and indeed, many regular people) think of this when they hear about space exploration.
As Deep_Thought mentions, that is an accurate characterization of manned space missions. NASA's mission is apparently PR for science, not actual science.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Adam Preston
WINNING
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Adam Preston » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

The USA should be proud of what they have accompalished with their influencing position of Democracy and military aid.

Back to the original topic, I believe that if Brazil were to become a superpower, tensions may arise over perhaps the global share of profit and finance, Brazil may "steal" industry from developing nations, but I highly doubt that because of the cheap costs of labour. But i must admit this topic is a curious one.
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Bean_Delphiki
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Bean_Delphiki » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Will Brazil become a superpower?...

<sigh>

Egypt owns Brazil. For all of the intelligent folks on this forum, your ability to remain willfully uninformed is troubling. There is no Brazil. Stop looking at the globe on your desk and start understanding the planet.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Based on what evidence? Please provide a link or something, that shows how much Brazilian debt Egypt owns (or however you define "owns").

Also, if that's the case, you are saying the US is paying Egypt to buy Brazil? Huh...

Bean_Delphiki
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Bean_Delphiki » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:50 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Based on what evidence?


Sorry, this is not a peer-reviewed journal. You'll need to find the evidence yourself. But here's a hint: it's not all about who owns who's debt. Debt-ownership is a bitches game. Stop watching the news with your brain turned off. The people with real power are (counter-intuitively...apparently) the people who OWE the debt, not the people who OWN the debt. The people who OWN the debt just collect a check on the first of the month...if the people who OWE the debt feel like it's in their interest to pay it. That...is power.

CorruptUser wrote:Also, if that's the case, you are saying the US is paying Egypt to buy Brazil? Huh...


Shit dude, grow up. When the fuck did I say that the US is paying for shit? There are lots of people on the planet with power...who don't give 1 single fuck about the US. Stop looking for Wall Street conspiracies and start understanding the globe. You a an American citizen (probably), that doesn't make you somehow special. The world does not turn at the behest of the United States of America. Don't let your ego as an American make your think that everything starts with us. President Obama can not solve all the world's problems by decree,

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:07 am UTC

1) Welcome to XKCD. If you make a claim, back it up.

2) Egypt is historically the second largest recipient of US foreign aide (currently, Iraq and Afghanistan receive more). Therefore, anything it owns is subsidized by the US.

Bean_Delphiki
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Bean_Delphiki » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Egypt receives US aide to:

A) Counterbalance any benefits they would get by declaring war on Israel (Egypt would lose, but it would be messy...and the Egyptian would STILL get a domestic power bonus for the effort)

B) Allow Egypt to purchase American-made arms...it's a backdoor subsidy to the military industry.

Bean_Delphiki
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Bean_Delphiki » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:20 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Egypt is historically the second largest recipient of US foreign aide (currently, Iraq and Afghanistan receive more). Therefore, anything it owns is subsidized by the US.


Look at the assumption in your sentence:

--Because they are the second largest recipient of US foreign aide...that the US owns their ass and anything their ass touches. If America gives you the second most money that they give anybody else, then clearly they own everything about you.

Well shit...I'm personally dumfounded that they don't have the fucking bald eagle on their currency ("In God we trust"...anybody?). Can we get George Washington carved on the pyramids? We clearly own their entire nation because they are the second largest recipient on US foreign aide! They and all the other nations on earth start and stop at the bounds of US foreign aide. We are just so fucking awesome...I bet we wear sunglasses at night.

User avatar
olubunmi
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby olubunmi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 am UTC

Bean_Delphiki wrote:Will Brazil become a superpower?...

<sigh>

Egypt owns Brazil. For all of the intelligent folks on this forum, your ability to remain willfully uninformed is troubling. There is no Brazil. Stop looking at the globe on your desk and start understanding the planet.


Wait what? Where do you base that on? I'd really like a link here, because I can't find anything to back up that claim.

Other than that, I don't see Brazil becoming a superpower any time soon, I'd rather compare them to Turkey in terms of diplomatic might: Key to the region they're in, and becoming more powerful, but a long shot from being a superpower.
Brazil is large, but not very rich, and they still have a lot of domestic problems.

If any superpower emerges besides the US, it'll probably be China, or the EU.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Delphiki,

1) Egypt is heavily subsidized by the US. Therefore, anything they bought is subsidized by the US. That doesn't mean the US owns Egypt, but that the US is helping Egypt in whatever it does, directly or indirectly.

2) You STILL haven't backed up your claim. Your response "I don't need to provide evidence, you sheeple need to open your eyes" is not particularly persuasive.

Headshrinker
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:18 pm UTC
Location: My location has been known to fluctuate

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Headshrinker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Bean_Delphiki wrote:B) Allow Egypt to purchase American-made arms...it's a backdoor subsidy to the military industry.
Why not just sell the arms cheaper in the first place? its quite a strange theory that I do not follow. Would you explain or.....
Bean_Delphiki wrote:Stop looking for Wall Street conspiracies and start understanding the globe.


Bean_Delphiki wrote:The people with real power are (counter-intuitively...apparently) the people who OWE the debt, not the people who OWN the debt. The people who OWN the debt just collect a check on the first of the month...if the people who OWE the debt feel like it's in their interest to pay it. That...is power.
countries have to honour a promise. If they do not they will have a lot of trouble with negotiations in the future. Not to mention people will do what they can to recover their money. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375388/Britain-sue-Iceland-3-5billion-country-voted-reject-plans-repay-debt.html The UK also used anti-terror laws to stop the iceland withdrawring its assets from the UK despite this not being their purpose.

Bean_Delphiki wrote:Shit dude, grow up. When the fuck did I say that the US is paying for shit?

well
Bean_Delphiki wrote:Egypt receives US aid


Bean_Delphiki wrote:Egypt owns Brazil. For all of the intelligent folks on this forum, your ability to remain willfully uninformed is troubling. There is no Brazil. Stop looking at the globe on your desk and start understanding the planet.
HMMM true. In their defence secret government orders are hard to keep up with.
Its still kinda irrelevant to the question don't you think?

To summarise YOU think, and please correct me, that Egypt owns Brazil. Brazil is a pseudo state, The US is paying Egypt to not declare war on Israel and to give them weapons, and a debtor has more power than a lender.

Bean_Delphiki
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Bean_Delphiki » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:03 am UTC

olubunmi wrote:Wait what? Where do you base that on? I'd really like a link here, because I can't find anything to back up that claim.


CorruptUser wrote:2) You STILL haven't backed up your claim. Your response "I don't need to provide evidence, you sheeple need to open your eyes" is not particularly persuasive.


No soup for you.

If you cannot handle information without a wikipedia citation, that is a problem. If you believe the rantings of every asshole on the internet, that is a problem (doesn't seem to be y'alls' problem, but just for the sake of completeness of argument...) But regardless, you will get no citation out of me. Does that mean I am lying? Does that mean I am telling the truth? There are no clues and there are no sheeple.

CorruptUser wrote:1) Egypt is heavily subsidized by the US. Therefore, anything they bought is subsidized by the US. That doesn't mean the US owns Egypt, but that the US is helping Egypt in whatever it does, directly or indirectly.


NO!!! Or to say it simpler: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The US is helping the US, directly and indirectly. Whatever Egypt does to help itself is secondary (from the US perspective), and gives state department folks heartburn. However, they have to live with this heartburn because Egypt has power...THAT'S WHY WE'RE GIVING THEM MONEY!!!!! We don't just ship dollars around the world for the fuck of it. We don't care about the ability of their people to eat (if we did we'd send beans, not dollars), and we don't care about their government...we care about their power.

Headshrinker wrote:To summarise YOU think, and please correct me, that Egypt owns Brazil. Brazil is a pseudo state, The US is paying Egypt to not declare war on Israel and to give them weapons, and a debtor has more power than a lender.


Yes.

Headshrinker wrote:countries have to honour a promise.


No...they don't. Countries tend to do whatever they think will benefit them.
People have to honour their promises....or else nobody will believe them...and bad things will happen. BUT. People do not always honour their promises, and sometimes this benefits them.

Headshrinker wrote:HMMM true. In their defence secret government orders are hard to keep up with.


True that. But not all power is limited to governments, or more correctly not all power flows from the government down (however, people who possess power tend to find positions in government).

Headshrinker wrote:Why not just sell the arms cheaper in the first place? its quite a strange theory that I do not follow. Would you explain or.....


Huh? Because when you sell things cheaper you make less profit. I guess I don't understand the question.

User avatar
Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 am UTC

Bean_Delphiki wrote:But regardless, you will get no citation out of me. Does that mean I am lying? Does that mean I am telling the truth?


It means you are deliberately failing to provide any evidence for your claim, and therefore any reason for anyone to pay any attention to it.

NO!!! Or to say it simpler: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ahh, screaming. The most effective debate tactic.

The US is helping the US, directly and indirectly. Whatever Egypt does to help itself is secondary (from the US perspective), and gives state department folks heartburn. However, they have to live with this heartburn because Egypt has power...THAT'S WHY WE'RE GIVING THEM MONEY!!!!! We don't just ship dollars around the world for the fuck of it. We don't care about the ability of their people to eat (if we did we'd send beans, not dollars), and we don't care about their government...we care about their power.


Ummm, you think the US is sending Egypt...tribute? And that there is no true humanitarian aid (You're simply wrong on factual counts - we DO send food as well as money to people so they can eat. But I guess all that food and money we send to Africa is...because we're afraid of them. Not to mention that sending food to poor countries - like many of the impoverished African nations - has actually been found to HURT in spite of good intentions)? And that the US cares about power but not government? And that:

Headshrinker wrote:Egypt owns Brazil. Brazil is a pseudo state, The US is paying Egypt to not declare war on Israel and to give them weapons, and a debtor has more power than a lender.


And you don't want to provide any citations for any of that?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Bean -

This is not the place for petty insults, the refusal to elaborate, explain or cite your claims nor (more specifically) the right place to drag threads way off topic with little rants.

So, little picture: You're ejected from this thread.
Big picture: You've been spoken to about this before and you're officially out of rope

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby IcedT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Back on topic: I don't know if Brazil will become a "superpower" in the way we normally use it (a hegemon with global military and economic reach), but their rise as a major economy and regional power seems inevitable. It'll be interesting to see the results of major economies developing in the southern hemisphere, not just in Brazil but in Nigeria, Indonesia and elsewhere.

Algrokoz
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 1:36 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Algrokoz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

I just wantde to point out to the OP that Brazil has nuclear power plants. Therefore, they could with very little effort, transform said fissile material into a bomb. Any country with a nuclear reactor can do this, hence the reason we do not want Iran to have nuclear power plants at all. Delivery of said bomb to the intended target is an entirely different story (a la North Korea that has nukes but no sufficiently long-range rockets.)

Sharlos
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:26 am UTC
Location: Straya

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Sharlos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Algrokoz wrote:I just wantde to point out to the OP that Brazil has nuclear power plants. Therefore, they could with very little effort, transform said fissile material into a bomb. Any country with a nuclear reactor can do this, hence the reason we do not want Iran to have nuclear power plants at all. Delivery of said bomb to the intended target is an entirely different story (a la North Korea that has nukes but no sufficiently long-range rockets.)

Brazil is planning on investing into their space launch capability. I read an article where they had (or were going to) begin constructing a launch location not far from the equator in Brazil.

User avatar
Huojin
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:23 pm UTC
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Huojin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

1. Brazil and Nuclear Weapons
Yes, Brazil once had a secret project to develop nuclear weapons during the 1970s and 80s. But they dismantled the programme in the 1990s and signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and are regulated by the IAEA. They wont make nuclear weapons, they have no real need to, and would see massive international condemnation, on a greater scale than Iran, if they were to begin a nuclear weapons programme. So no, they won't make them. This question is more or less dealt with.

2. China-US Arms Race & Global Arms Race
More superpowers != More arms race. The US and Russia provide plenty of military hardware for people in their spheres of influence, and China and the EU already build some things for themselves to supplement arms from other sources. Nations like India and Brazil aren't at a level yet where they have native technology that will match developments in the US and elsewhere. China and the US are in an arms race of sorts, yes, but it is very definitely a game of catch-up for the Chinese. And whilst the People's Liberation Army is portrayed as being increasingly powerful and up-to-date, it's a vast organisation, and most of it is still poorly armed.

3. Globalisation and Military Strength
Military strength is increasingly unimportant. It still holds some significance, like in conflicts between developed and less developed nations (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.), but in clashes between developed nations, nuclear weapons are all that really matter. Additionally, major conflict between the USA and PRC is unlikely, they're too closely tied together economically for a war to be feasible for either side.

4. Universal Language
People have already tried this before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_auxiliary_language#History), the most well-know of the international auxiliary languages probably being Esperanto. They haven't been hugely successful, and I think natural languages, not designed languages, will always have the edge, and English is too deeply ingrained in cultures across the globe to be discarded as the global language.

5. Culture
Culture doesn't have a huge amount to do with being a superpower, really.

6. Middle Eastern and African Superpowers
No, not really, no. Africa and the Middle East will likely always remain behind the rest of the world. Africa in particular has suffered too much at the hands of colonialism and everything that has stemmed from it, what with countless wars, civil wars, dictatorships, cultural and ethnic divides, and so on. The Middle East is nearly as bad, though some nations have recently turned over new leaves, in a way, and may become more developed, it's doubtful they will ever gain superpower status. Israel is the only Middle Eastern nation that has power, but they are an island of a persecuted religion and people in a sea of Arab/Muslim hate against them, so whilst they are certainly powerful in their own way, they wont reach superpower status.

7. China the new USSR
There's a reason that games like Homefront used North Korea instead of China. Chinese and US economic ties are too strong, so whilst they're in competition in terms of arms races, in a way, there's no real ideological battle or huge tensions with China. The Chinese might claim to be communist, but we all know that they're hardly the USSR. So no, a Second Cold War is extremely unlikely.

8. Space Race
China and Russia and the like all have plans to reach the Moon and Mars and things like that, but they're all a long way away, by which time, who knows, the US might be out of this economic downturn and looking space-ward again. But the Space Race was really just an extension of the Cold War, and with the lack of a lengthy battle between two opposition ideologies, I think it's likely that there'll be more cooperation between governments in going anywhere. And exploration and innovation certainly wont be on the scale and pace of the Space Race.


Also, for the record, I don't think Brazil will become a superpower, at least not any time soon. They have a fairly strong economy, but only while they're chopping down swathes of rainforest and drilling all that oil. There's little else they have going for them, with massive poverty, crime, and so on. It'll be a long while before Brazil gets anywhere near the West. And even then, they're not influential enough beyond South America, which is already America's sphere, to really count.

Mambrino
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 pm UTC
Location: No we don't have polar bears. Except in zoos.

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Mambrino » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Huojin wrote: Additionally, major conflict between the USA and PRC is unlikely, they're too closely tied together economically for a war to be feasible for either side.


However, not all political leaders care if a war is a feasible thing or not. Both World Wars were very insensible things to do in purely economical sense, at least for the European powers concerned.

Mordrorru
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby Mordrorru » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Culture doesn't have a huge amount to do with being a superpower, really.


Saying a society's culture doesn't have a huge amount to do with being a superpower is like saying an artist's personality has nothing to do with his art.

Culture can have a huge impact on superpower status, from whether a nation even wants to be a superpower to how they behave as a superpower once they get there.

One thing many people disregard is the burdens of being a superpower. Sure, being a superpower means you're probably at the height of your power. But that also means having to do all the things that, by definition, being a superpower means you have to do. That means supporting your allies. Funding a large and modern military. Being forced to get involved in almost every issue because your interests are spread so wide. Getting involved in the issues that don't directly concern you, but because they concern your allies. Sure, being a superpower has its perks, but the costs of being one are also immense. Power and responsibility and all that. That's why China, even today as the #2 economy in the world, continues to insist that it's "still a developing country," so that it can run away from all the responsibilities that admitting to being a developed country would mean.

User avatar
freakish777
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Re: What if Brazil became a superpower?

Postby freakish777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

olubunmi wrote:Brazil is large, but not very rich



Define rich?

Over the next decade Brazil is projected to have the 5th largest GDP, thanks in large part to their abundant natural resources (crude oil, iron, nickel, gold, uranium, timber all stuff they have).


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests