/b/ visitors...

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

bookishbunny

/b/ visitors...

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

The /b/ site has been mentioned many, many times for its 'objectionable content' and whatnot. However, in another thread, it was basically characterized as a place for freakishly disturbing "snuff-films" to be aired. It was emphasized that these acts are IRL. So, if this is true, why would one frequent such a site? Surely there are other places to get the other types of entertaining, 'sick' material (which, I admit, can be funny). I understand the futility of a boycott, or any other such action, but I just wonder if visitors to the site feel morally compromised when they use it. I mean, if there are actual violent murders occurring and being aired, especially of the nature described elsewhere in the fora, how does that make you feel as a visitor to the site?

As a side note, I don't know if I buy the whole IRL thing, but I've never been to the site since I only have Internet access at work. I'm going on the word of another xkcder. I sincerely hope they are mistaken.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Anything and everything terrible and wrong finds its way to /b/. Other than camwhores, I don't really know of any content that is actually produced for /b/, since it's 100% anonymous and there is no credit or possibility of profit.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

wocket

Postby wocket » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

When I visited /b/ (a long long time ago....), that stuff was very much in the minority. It was there, but easily scrolled past. I don't know if that's changed or not, but really, most of the time on /b/ what you're going to find are ridiculously stupid "Desu!" floods.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

hmmmm, I guess I haven't been there very often, maybe only a couple of times, but the few times I went I didnt see anything like the horrors that get mentioned. I just looked for funny pictures of cats, lol. and other assorted, odd, posters.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

wocket wrote:When I visited /b/ (a long long time ago....), that stuff was very much in the minority. It was there, but easily scrolled past. I don't know if that's changed or not, but really, most of the time on /b/ what you're going to find are ridiculously stupid "Desu!" floods.

yeah, pretty much my experience.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

wocket wrote:When I visited /b/ (a long long time ago....), that stuff was very much in the minority. It was there, but easily scrolled past. I don't know if that's changed or not, but really, most of the time on /b/ what you're going to find are ridiculously stupid "Desu!" floods.

The whole "scrolling past" people being tortured and killed beyond anything Hannibal Lector would ever do doesn't feel just a little "off"?
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

I've frequented /b/ for years, and what that post you're referring to said was mostly an exaggeration. I haven't seen a lot of the stuff he mentioned.

wocket

Postby wocket » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Once, a guy I knew linked me to a /b/ thread entitled "What's the worst thing you've ever seen?"

I didn't talk to him for weeks.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

I also can't help but wonder how much is faked. Is believing what is shown there, in certain cases to be not real just an exercise in denial? I'm not talking about what psychopaths do to animals, but to non-consenting people.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

It's the internet. If not on /b/, it'll be somewhere else. It's voyeurism.

For the record, I went there once, and I ain't never going back. I think it blew some fuses in my brain.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

I just got on /b/, to try to get an objective idea of how much OH GOD MAKE IT STOP stuff you'd see if you just went there randomly. Wasn't really anything. I didn't go into any threads, (/y/ and /u/ and /d/ and /v/ > /b/) but the only bad thing I saw was some woman who looked like her head got run over by a truck, and one of her eyes was hanging out. But it wasn't very gory, and it looked fake.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:It's the internet. If not on /b/, it'll be somewhere else. It's voyeurism.

For the record, I went there once, and I ain't never going back. I think it blew some fuses in my brain.

Could you please clarify how "it's voyeurism" justifies or discounts anything? "It's exhibitionism" doesn't justify killing somebody for a thrill.
I'm not calling for a ban or anything. I'm just wondering how people feel brushing against this kind of activity while they pursue more innocuous entertainments.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:I just got on /b/, to try to get an objective idea of how much OH GOD MAKE IT STOP stuff you'd see if you just went there randomly. Wasn't really anything. I didn't go into any threads, (/y/ and /u/ and /d/ and /v/ > /b/) but the only bad thing I saw was some woman who looked like her head got run over by a truck, and one of her eyes was hanging out. But it wasn't very gory, and it looked fake.

Awwww. You smoothed my feathers. Really, though, even if it wasn't fake, I understand people have a fascination with gory violence. Even though I think there is something wrong with a person who films the dead bodies after an accident, that is still a far cry from torture/murder. I just wanted to make sure folks knew I understand the difference. :)

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

I agree with bookishes general point, but i really dont think its as bad as people make itseem.

There are times when its terrible and times when its not bad at all, i guess. I happen to have only hit it on the "not at all" by happenstance.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

It's not justified, and it shouldn't be discounted. It's sick.

I just meant that there's nothing to be done about it. On the internet, nothing is taboo. It's a consequence of the internet being basically uncontrolled. I just try and stay away from the crazier parts.

I don't think it should be censored, if that's what you're asking.

I don't think that people are actually committing crimes and taping them for the express purpose of posting to /b/. These things just find their way there.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

It seems that you are under the impression that the "snuff films" constitute a majority of the content on /b/. Now, I'm certainly no veteran (by choice), but in my experience, there is very little video of "snuff". In fact, I've never seen a video of someone being murdered or tortured or whathaveyou. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some weird shit on there, but most of it is rather humorous (though a non-standard sense of humor is required). Its mostly pedo-bears, TRICKED.gif's, furry things with penises and copypasta.

bookishbunny wrote:Surely there are other places to get the other types of entertaining, 'sick' material

Are you saying that its ok these things are on the internet, but they shouldn't be on /b/? Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking here.

bookishbunny wrote:I understand the futility of a boycott, or any other such action, but I just wonder if visitors to the site feel morally compromised when they use it.

I'd say the vast majority of people who go there are aware of the content and are visiting the site specifically for that content, other than the poor souls who blindly follow links or unexpectedly get their eyes raped with an image.

There are a plethora of sites which only serve up the images from /b/. I'd say i've gone through well over 1000 images (very conservative estimate, btw), and (like I said before) I have yet to come across an image of someone being murdered.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

I've seen people being killed on CNN before. Does that make CNN worse than /b/?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

@Tankengine:

I am drawing a distinction between "people being tortured and killed on film" films and "everything else" films. I only single out /b/ because that's the one that was brought to my attention by you guys. As I stated in my first post, this is not about censorship, but about how it feels to go to a site where (if it's true) people are being tortured and killed for the entertainment of others, even if it is in a relatively small minority of the posts. I don't know where you got the idea that I thought that was what the majority of /b/ was.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

Is there actually proof that genuine snuff gets put on /b/? As opposed to say unplanned film of people dying, and fake stuff?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I've seen people being killed on CNN before. Does that make CNN worse than /b/?

Is the journalist staging the killing?

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

No, but I'm not convinced there is any planned killing on /b/ either, considering that any image is going to have to be hosted, and tracking down who put it up is usually rather easy for law enforcement to do.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Is there actually proof that genuine snuff gets put on /b/? As opposed to say unplanned film of people dying, and fake stuff?

My point was specifically pointed towards the IRL scenario. I have already expressed skepticism about its validity. My question is about it being real and, if so, would that make the visitors just as comfortable with it.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

zenten wrote:

No, but I'm not convinced there is any planned killing on /b/ either, considering that any image is going to have to be hosted, and tracking down who put it up is usually rather easy for law enforcement to do.

That was what I was thinking. However, the claim that it's real came from another poster, and that is what prompted my original post. I hope it's not. But people are sneaky an horrible, and not everything happens in a country where law enforcement gives a damn.

edit 'cause I forgot a word.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

So, I must be missing out on some of the really gruesome stuff.

...PM?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:So, I must be missing out on some of the really gruesome stuff.

...PM?

Twasbrillig whited out some descriptions in this thread:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=40

Check second page.

Ceilingcat

Postby Ceilingcat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

You're behind the times. These things don't happen on /b/ anymore, since it sucks nowadays. You can't even get a good gore thread going without people freaking out.

AZwicky2

Postby AZwicky2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

I think that the users who classify it purely as a gore site, with murders being aired daily and committed for the express purpose of putting them on /b/, are exaggerating. Not to be forgiving, because there is a some stuff on there that is very offensive.

There are pictures of limbs and bodies etc, The same stuff that is found on Rotten.com, although I am fairly sure that the posters behind these pictures are just taking them from a different internet source and reposting them. However, In all the time that I have been on /b/ I have never seen a murder being committed.

The majority of the images are just funny pictures.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:15 am UTC

Ceilingcat wrote:You're behind the times. These things don't happen on /b/ anymore, since it sucks nowadays.

Yes, they do. As do CP threads.

With regards to 'snuff' films: I haven't seen any murders, but I have seen many suicides and lots more disgusting shit. Just yesterday I saw a meth addict cut himself open and pull out his intestines.

Just don't go there.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Thematic-Device

Postby Thematic-Device » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:41 am UTC

semicolon wrote:I've frequented /b/ for years, and what that post you're referring to said was mostly an exaggeration. I haven't seen a lot of the stuff he mentioned.

I've skimmed it on several occasions, and have yet to see anything horribly scarring.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 am UTC

1) Not a single snuff film has been found yet
2) 4chan is only useful for taking down racist radio hosts and that's it.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 am UTC

lurk moar
i hurd u liek mudkips???

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:41 pm UTC

william wrote:1) Not a single snuff film has been found yet
2) 4chan is only useful for taking down racist radio hosts and that's it.

That's for that link. I love Snopes. I tried searching for "microwaved baby video", but didn't get anything. Anyhoo, I guess that would open up the question to be hypothetical, but that may be just philosophical masturbation.

As sensitive as I am to violence (really outside the norm due to a past string of events), I can't say anything against the material that involves people doing things to themselves or consenting to have them done. I am more horrified, but can't criticise filmed acts of war, accidents, or natural disasters beyond a purely emotion response (I have accidentally seen grainy stock footage of executions at one time or another and am still haunted). Some people have expressed confusion over that point, thinking I'm lumping all violent material into one category.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:25 am UTC

/b/ rocks. Yeah, it's gross, disgusting, horrible, and wrong. But how can you say no to the Rules of the Internet?

"27. Always question a person's sexual preferences without any real reason.
29. In the Internet all girls are men and all kids are undercover FBI agents."

Baron Patsy

Postby Baron Patsy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 am UTC

I would like to address some things here. /b/ is not a place for snuff films, I have seen I believe one legitimate .gif animated file of someone dying, and various shock pictures are occasionally posted. I've been going there almost daily for going on three years now. The sheer wealth of false information about /b/ floating around is shocking. Right now, for example, on the front page of /b/, there are maybe three camwhore threads and a few anime related ones, as well as a few meme threads. That's all. No CP or shock images. They are posted occasionally, but /b/ is not a repository of snuff films and murders. None of the shock images posted on /b/ are home made, they are always taken from sites like Rotten or the now-defunct Ogrish.

Sorry for ranting a bit, but people's general ignorance regarding what /b/ is actually like is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Baron Patsy wrote:Sorry for ranting a bit, but people's general ignorance regarding what /b/ is actually like is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

/b/ is terrible and you know it, and most of the rest of this thread has pretty solidly defused the notion that people are murdered for the sake of entertainment on /b/.

Besides, it's not your job to inform people how great /b/ is. Remember rules 1 and 2? Yes yes, we're all breaking them right now, but if someone can't handle cp or gory crap, they SHOULD be scared away from /b/ since if they do there there is a high chance that they'll eventually be exposed to such content.

I would again like to stress that all of /b/'s original content is photoshops, text, and camwhores. People don't kill for /b/.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Baron Patsy

Postby Baron Patsy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 am UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:
Baron Patsy wrote:Sorry for ranting a bit, but people's general ignorance regarding what /b/ is actually like is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

/b/ is terrible and you know it, and most of the rest of this thread has pretty solidly defused the notion that people are murdered for the sake of entertainment on /b/.

Besides, it's not your job to inform people how great /b/ is. Remember rules 1 and 2? Yes yes, we're all breaking them right now, but if someone can't handle cp or gory crap, they SHOULD be scared away from /b/ since if they do there there is a high chance that they'll eventually be exposed to such content.

I would again like to stress that all of /b/'s original content is photoshops, text, and camwhores. People don't kill for /b/.

I'm not trying to inform people of how great /b/ is, I'm just sick of seeing people stating blatantly false things. I don't appreciate your combative attitude, either. I was perfectly friendly in my post, I see no need for a negative attitude.

You attack me at the beginning of your post because it has been "solidly defused" that people are killed for entertainment on /b/, yet you restate that at the end of your post.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:00 am UTC

I'm not trying to inform people of how great /b/ is, I'm just sick of seeing people stating blatantly false things.

Fair. I just thought it seemed like you were being overly defensive, when the points you brought up had already been made.

I don't appreciate your combative attitude, either. I was perfectly friendly in my post, I see no need for a negative attitude.

I didn't mean to sound like an asshole, but that happens sometimes on the Internet. Rereading, I definitely came across as harsher than I had intended.

You attack me at the beginning of your post because it has been "solidly defused" that people are killed for entertainment on /b/, yet you restate that at the end of your post.

I thought some of my points where going in a direction of /b/ being nothing but disgusting crap, and just wanted to make sure that my post didn't come across as touting /b/ that way.

Sorry for the overly harsh welcome.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 am UTC

Just spent some time looking through ten pages of /b/. Weird layout, and there have to be more than ten pages, but I can't find it.

Lots of stupid pointless stuff. Lots of random porn. Long string of blowjob pics. Quite a bit of Zelda porn. Perhaps two disgusting things: something resembling a dogs anus leaking semen, and some chick with half a dozen pens in anus. Oh, and that other woman with two anuses (ani?).

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:Lots of stupid pointless stuff. Lots of random porn. Long string of blowjob pics. Quite a bit of Zelda porn. Perhaps two disgusting things: something resembling a dogs anus leaking semen, and some chick with half a dozen pens in anus. Oh, and that other woman with two anuses (ani?).

That... that's pretty representative.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Memo

Postby Memo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:Weird layout, and there have to be more than ten pages, but I can't find it.

Actually, no. 4chan is a imageboard and its contents are automagically pruned by the script, limited by the number of pages (or posts? Ages since I had a look at Wakaba). So there's no 'archive'.

I'm not a /b/tard, I prefer /v/ideogames and /p/hotography but I've to say that /b/ is for (non-conventional) fun. If there's gore it was lifted from a gore site, not actually made for /b/. The same happens for most images in /b/.

The only original content /b/ produces are photoshop memes, copypasta and camwhores. And half the camwhores are fake.

I think that most /b/tards take /b/ as non-serious fun. Only visitors who get shocked could think that anything in that site is said seriously. Or as /b/ tag-line says: "Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.".

Return to “Serious Business”