Request for info - UN "first contact" protocol

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Prelates, Moderators General

Request for info - UN "first contact" protocol

Postby stevenf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

In 1991 at a meeting in Buenos Aires the UN adopted a "first alien contact" protocol apparently. Though I have searched to the best of my ability I have been unable to find the details of the protocol - even on the UN website.

Does this mean that the protocol does not, in fact, exist or that it is being kept under wraps or that I have failed to find it?

Can anyone in the xkcd community help please? I would be very interested to read through the protocol, if it exists, and I suspect that others would too.
stevenf

Re: Request for info - UN "first contact" protocol

Postby Chen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

There was talk in 2010 of someone being named ambassador to space or the like by the UN. It turned out to be completely wrong and just a mis-interpretation of what people in UNOOSA were talking about.
Chen

Postby Minerva » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

I don't think we should bother doing this until after we've invented the technology to reanimate Carl Sagan.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman
Minerva

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

stevenf wrote:In 1991 at a meeting in Buenos Aires the UN adopted a "first alien contact" protocol apparently.

If you could source this claim, it might be easier to work out what the meeting decided.

Also, UN documents are pretty notoriously hard to find. They develop a whole lot of information, but finding it is almost always non trivial. They really haven't worked out that the internet exists yet.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Return to Serious Business