4channers are terrsts

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Prelates, Moderators General

4channers are terrsts

Postby Jacque » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

Or at least their anonymity is scary.

Media fear-mongering is taken to a new high. Don't these people have any real news to broadcast, I mean seriously, it's like a never ending loop of celebrity gossip and FUD.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby hyperion » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

As usual (for fox news) this report is one-sided. The guy asked anon to raid his girlfriend's myspace, because she had recently left him. So anon decided to raid him instead. Now he plays victim.

Moral of the story: Anonymous is not your personal army.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby Kles » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

I actually half way agree with this. I'm not a fan of "Anonymous" at all.
Kles

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

^ Until I saw the video, I did not know ANYWHERE NEAR how dramatised Fox News is. It's incredible.

EDIT:
scrollbar thing at the top of the page wrote:Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Prove It and Win Tickets to the Show!

EDITEDIT: That scrolling bar is an "Alerts" bar.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby Jacque » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:^ Until I saw the video, I did not know ANYWHERE NEAR how dramatised Fox News is. It's incredible.

EDIT:
scrollbar thing at the top of the page wrote:Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Prove It and Win Tickets to the Show!

EDITEDIT: That scrolling bar is an "Alerts" bar.

I liked the dramatization of the vans blowing up.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Kles wrote:I actually half way agree with this. I'm not a fan of "Anonymous" at all.

Me neither, it's a completely retarded site with a scary group mentality. Same with 4chan etc (to the extent that they do that kind of shit).
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.
fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby Bondolon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

But... that's not fox news, it's just a fox television station (you know, the ones that show martin, that 70s show, the simpsons, and moesha) that has a news program.
Bondolon

Postby lorenith » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:07 am UTC

Fox is like that all the time, but I am curious about the later thing they posted, of the whole family getting death threats and stuff over mail/phone and stuff.

Then again fox is a really icky news station and been known to fake stuff up for the sake of it. :?
lorenith

Postby Bondolon » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:50 am UTC

lorenith wrote:Fox is like that all the time, but I am curious about the later thing they posted, of the whole family getting death threats and stuff over mail/phone and stuff.

Then again fox is a really icky news station and been known to fake stuff up for the sake of it. :?

Again "Fox 11 News" != "Fox News"
Bondolon

Postby zenten » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:55 am UTC

Bondolon wrote:
lorenith wrote:Fox is like that all the time, but I am curious about the later thing they posted, of the whole family getting death threats and stuff over mail/phone and stuff.

It is the same company though, you would imagine that the news standards are pretty close.
zenten

Postby Bondolon » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:59 am UTC

zenten wrote:
Bondolon wrote:

It is the same company though, you would imagine that the news standards are pretty close.

Fox 11 is a Los Angeles television station. The news programs that appear on it are roughly of the same quality as other regular television stations that have news programs. Fox News is independent of any affiliate station. They don't have much to do with each other.
Bondolon

Postby zenten » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Bondolon wrote:
zenten wrote:
Bondolon wrote:

Fox 11 is a Los Angeles television station. The news programs that appear on it are roughly of the same quality as other regular television stations that have news programs. Fox News is independent of any affiliate station. They don't have much to do with each other.

So all the local news in Los Angeles is that bad?
zenten

Postby joeframbach » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:23 am UTC

I was going to comment on how RG didn't end his post with "- RG>"
Then I realized that zenten is using the same avatar as RG and I was slightly confused. What's up with that?

Anyway, I haven't watched the local Fox News on TV in a while, so I'm out of that loop. I am still curious, though, how that situation works.
xxv/♂/♫
joeframbach

Postby Dr. Venture » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:54 am UTC

The report sounds like something from 1995, with all the talk of "hackers". According to Network News, anyone who can open up a web browser is a hacker hell bent on blowing up sports stadiums.
Resident super-scientist.
Dr. Venture

Postby Aglet » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Some of my favorite phrases from the video:

"they use their secret websites" (meaning 4chan, apparently)

"we found an underground hacker website" (he gestures to a monitor that's open to Wikipedia

"they do it for what they call 'lulz'"

No matter what you think of 4chan, this is hilarious.
Aglet

Postby lorenith » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:06 am UTC

Eh, it *is* Fox news though, on one of the local channels, they do that in a lot of places actually. :p Like in the Dallas area its "Fox 4 News" most of the day its public television that isn't remotely related to fox, and at night channel for changes into Fox 4 (local news coverage) with the crazyness and the fox shows and all that. The little story from that website was done in the same terrible style as most fox news is done in too.

I'm STILL curious about that mom saying her whole family was getting death threats.
lorenith

Postby Chocceh » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

The truth is, Anon is a stupid creature that can't be damned to do much of anything because everyone is anonymous and it's way too hard to organize anything. You have very little to worry about Anon unless you're incredibly annoying or you're so stupid you're asking for people to invade (security holes, etc.). Very rarely they'll go out of their way to do things.

The video is horrible. If there's one thing a Fox reporter should never utter, it would probably be, "Anon gets big lulz."
Okay
Chocceh

Postby william » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

4chan is proof of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. In general, the more anonymity a forum allows the more fuckwads it gets.

For example, this forum allows no anonymous users. Ergo it gets very few fuckwads.

Slashdot allows anonymous cowards but puts restrictions on them that registered users don't have. It gets more fuckwads than these here fora but fewer than 4chan and such.

Then there's 4chan. Its motto is "Anonymous does not forgive". You get hounded into the ground for not being anonymous. It sucks.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby Spot » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

william wrote:4chan is proof of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. In general, the more anonymity a forum allows the more fuckwads it gets.

For example, this forum allows no anonymous users. Ergo it gets very few fuckwads.

Slashdot allows anonymous cowards but puts restrictions on them that registered users don't have. It gets more fuckwads than these here fora but fewer than 4chan and such.

Then there's 4chan. Its motto is "Anonymous does not forgive". You get hounded into the ground for not being anonymous. It sucks.

That's why I consider it to be the gutter of the internet.
Spot

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

4chan is proof of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. In general, the more anonymity a forum allows the more fuckwads it gets.

Let professor Gabe explain

//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.
fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby Castaway » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:39 am UTC

I can't watch the video right now, but it sounds like that guy got pwn3d. I cannot wait to watch. I love 4chan. I can't agree with everything (or even most of the things) Anonymous does, but I like how degenerative it is.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat
Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

I'll watch the video later, I just have a strong desire to post Serious Cat.

This adds nothing to the conversation. NOTHING!
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Spade of Fate » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

They are basically aiming to get people scared.

Annon isn't a hacker anyway, he can do crappy DDoS by having a whole lot of himself to go on a wobsite but not much else. I suppose he has a few script kiddies but that ain't much.

I rather like 4chan and its "admit your are an asshole too" mentality but I don't agree with all they do either, but now this was "truly epic lulz", hearing a news anchor saying that was worth its salt. Besides wasn't such a thing as alt.tasteless back in the days? Why does Fox News start this only now?
Spade of Fate

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

I am fine with this topic being here, but I feel the need to remind you all of the existence of SB rules: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=2896

AKA:There will not be any more posts consisting of "lulz"
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby Karhan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

There are often two sides to every story, this case is no exception.

To put it simply the people here that don’t like Anonymous and the “Chansâ€
Karhan

Postby Spade of Fate » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

I can stand myself after going to the chans, it is no trouble at all.

Why would I bother myself? It isn't me who did it, it is a whole group of people, thus I am excused.

Yes, I know it.

It works though. That and moral relativism.
Spade of Fate

Postby KicktheCAN » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:57 am UTC

I loved the random video of the van exploding and that they attributed the bomb threat thing as some massive group effort by anonymous. I think the most 4chan really does is occasional raiding of websites, which now apparently counts as unspeakable international terrorism.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby zenten » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Why am I reminded of the Stanford Prison Experiment?
zenten

Postby semicolon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:05 am UTC

4. CP. They like CP...

A small minority of them like CP. But since it's anonymous, and since *chan is known for hosting every other horror of the world, people tend to post CP there. It still gets promptly removed, though. Unless you're talking about loli. Loli isn't CP. Loli doesn't count.
5. Ironically the Chans has a large furry community, which /b/ hates… and loves. Welcome to 4chan/7chan/420chan.

Why is this a bad thing? Either you take issue with furries themselves or you take issue with the fact that the chans claim to hate people who actually make up a large portion of their userbase. Which, to me, is more of an advantage than anything. Lots of furry vs. anti-furry stuff on the chans has been very entertaining.

I'm not sticking up for the *chans or anything (I'm an active user, but I'm not going to pretend like they're positive influences on society. Nor am I going to claim that they're all that destructive, either), I just wanted to respond to these two things.

Edit:
6. The kid who had his Identity protected was a kid named Alex Wouri (proof : http://www.itsoverninethousand.com/proo ... lex-wuori/ ). Some time ago he made a post talking about how he believed that terrorists were indeed righteous in their attempts in destroying the western world. And that president Ahmadinejad was a hero who stood up to the evil America by supporting terrorists.

Jesus, the name of that website is It's Over Nine Thousand. I guess he thought, "hey, I'll take an overplayed, idiotic joke that was only funny once (in the original video), and make it the title of my website! So anyone who comes to my website and gets the joke will go, ha ha ha, I get that joke! That's from 4chan! The website! Ha ha ha!" Ewwww.

Edit2: Oh yeah, the Rules 1 and 2 thing was just a stupid Fight Club joke that everybody except the people who were around when the joke originated decided to interpret literally. I don't mean to take that whole elitist "god the fucking NEW USERS RUINED EVERYTHING" approach, but it kind of lends itself to the situation. 4chan is basically entirely focused around elitism.
semicolon

Postby Vaniver » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

4chan is basically entirely focused around elitism.
4chan- the site for you if you can only be elitist when no one knows any details about your actual life.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Return to Serious Business