What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

FierceContinent

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

I'm Fiercecontinent and i approve this message.

good one nem.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

rolo91

Postby rolo91 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:16 am UTC

Last-second-before-posting edit:
Im about to go to a funeral, so excuse me if this post has a serious/dark tone.

Here comes my advice:

Living your life slowly is essentially the same as dying early.

Maybe even worse, because you'll have to face remorse about what you've wasted.

That may seem too general, but it can be transformed into something more practical:

Every month, try to count how many time you've wasted in things you didnt really want to do (i.e. wandering around the internet).

Write the results in a visible place. Then, try to make the number smaller every month. The whole phrase, I mean: "this month I lost X time doing Y".
It's even better in a weekly, or even daily basis.

Deciding whether something is worthy or not is simple:

I Spent 120 hours in youtube this month. Does that make me happy or proud?

If the answer is no, then you know what to do next month.

Quite a long explanation, I'm sorry. So for a catchy phrase, refer to the beginning of the post.

Oh, and dont use the android version of chrome to write posts. The fucker has a glitch and erased my whole post just before submitting It ><

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 am UTC

the first one I want to post in the hall leading to the bathroom at work:

if one bathroom is full/door closed use the other one, then let us know that the other bathroom door is closed. (single occupant bathrooms are essentially all unisex)
make sure that the toilet flushes before you leave
if the bathroom door doesn't have a lock on the inside, check the outer handle, 99% of the time it will be auto-locking
please clean the seat off before you leave.
if you may have left the bathroom stinking, leave the fan/light on, please.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

boXd wrote:
krogoth wrote:Taste a meal, before salting it.
No no no, you have it all wrong, buddy. :wink: (I do actually agree with the premise of that comic.)
I thought of that immediately upon reading krogoth's advice. I'm glad you found it and I didn't have to look for it (besides, with your avatar, it is more fitting that you posted it).

My advice:

(1) Before judging others, try to put yourself in their shoes.

(2) Don't assume that by trying to put yourself in their shoes, you did so successfully.

(3) In conclusion, try to not judge others.

(4) For almost everyone, this a hell of a lot harder than it sounds. Don't beat yourself up when you fail, just keep trying. It gets easier with practice.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

wellie

Postby wellie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Advice "for everyone" is a tall order! And consequently an interesting idea.

I think my advice would be: Find your balance point.

It seems to me that everyone with a reasonable amount of education (fairly reliably, everyone on this forum) will have noticed that life is a complicated thing with many shades of grey between black and white; that for every good argument there's often an interesting counter-argument; and that in general, taking things to extremes and refusing to consider alternatives is a Bad Idea.

But there's (of course!) an interesting counter-argument to that idea, which is that the middle ground is not always where the good stuff happens. If you really want to excel at something, you'll need to focus on that thing probably to the detriment of other quite important things. And some of the world's best work is done by people who are passionate or even obsessive about what they do. One person's rational middle ground is another person's hopelessly ineffective mediocrity.

So I believe the answer is for each person to find their balance point... which may or may not be in the centre, just as a good fencing foil is perfectly balanced, yet the balance point isn't halfway along.

I think finding that balance needs to be a conscious thing, a weighing up. Is this thing so important to me that I'm prepared to make sacrifices and take it further than other people? Or could my extreme view be a product of prejudice and thus be urgently in need of a rethink? I suspect we all have our comfort zone but to me, the people leading the most interesting lives are the ones who can find their own balance point on each decision wherever that happens to be, bang in the middle or way out in the tail of the curve.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Don't be a bitter anti-social asshole. It doesn't make me many friends, and it probably won't make you any either.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Laserdan

Postby Laserdan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 am UTC

I think this advice is the wisest thing I ever learned:

It's not as easy and simple as you think, and probably much more complicated than you could suspect. Treat it that way.

Also this:
Thesh wrote:Don't be a bitter anti-social asshole. It doesn't make me many friends, and it probably won't make you any either.

Don't be House-esque. It's cool and funny, but you will end up alone. It's just that I wouldn't give that advice to everyone simply because some people do want to be left alone (I suppose).
"Sobriety is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

Nem

Postby Nem » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Don't be bitter and anti-social is a bit like going up to a depressed person and telling them to cheer up, or an insomniac and telling them to just go to sleep. That thing that you are - just be something else!

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

For any given thing, there will always be people better at it than you, and always people worse. In fact, there will almost certainly be millions of people better at it than you, and millions of people worse: A superiority complex and an inferiority complex will both hold you back - guard against either.

----

There really is no such thing as a stupid question - the only stupid thing is being too proud, embarrassed or closed-minded to learn. Instead, always be proud of wanting to learn.

----

Never be embarrassed to say 'I don't know.'

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:51 am UTC

Raise money to buy the Lamplighter an electric streetlamp.

You kind of have to think about this, I admit. That, and read Le Petit Prince.

KyleOwens

Postby KyleOwens » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 am UTC

Use chopsticks more often. Silverware is a pain in the ass.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Never be embarrassed to say 'I don't know.'
I wish I could get my students to grasp this.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:The reason is not just about food, but also about anything in life, try something before you change it, as it may work perfectly well as is.

But then, you'd end up salting it anyway to make it even better.

maydayp wrote:never think you have the right to dictate to some one what they can or cannot do/be.
or
never think you have the right to expect some one to change for you, just because you think their behavior is wrong.

Just because you think somethings wrong, or it's wrong in your culture, doesn't make it so.

Not everyone is like you, experiences things the same way as you, nor wants to.

just because I'm still alive doesn't mean bullying didn't make me stronger or that the damage has scared over. It doesn't mean that those who aren't alive are weaker then me, or anything like that. Bullying, teasing, etc. is wrong no matter what, even if it doesn't seem to do any "lasting" damage.

Don't tell some one to watch what they say or think before they speak, 'cause when you do, they are thinking "be glad I watch it as much as I do, you wouldn't like what I'd say if I didn't"
I know these sound vague, but I can't really make them less so. The best advice has to be, because otherwise people won't think about it.

Ironic, isn't it?
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

How is that ironic?

There's some advice, learn what irony is.

Explore your weaknesses, either get comfortable with them, or work on them.

Dance more.
mu

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

He gives a piece of advice, but then doesn't follow it himself a few sentences later.
Pretty ironic if you ask me.

And there could be some hidden culture somewhere in the world that has bullying/etc. as something that isn't wrong.
(And even then, teasing isn't always wrong.)
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

If he was encouraging someone to pick on another person while saying bullying is wrong, with the implied meaning being that bullying is fine, pow, irony.

Bender says it best: "The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention", now that is irony.
mu

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Wear sunscreen.
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

induction

Postby induction » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:If he was encouraging someone to pick on another person while saying bullying is wrong, with the implied meaning being that bullying is fine, pow, irony.

Bender says it best: "The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention", now that is irony.

Alternate definition of irony: Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

My advice: get used to the idea that words usually have more than one meaning.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 am UTC

induction wrote:
Max™ wrote:If he was encouraging someone to pick on another person while saying bullying is wrong, with the implied meaning being that bullying is fine, pow, irony.

Alternate definition of irony: Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

My advice: get used to the idea that words usually have more than one meaning.

There's socratic (THE BEST!), dramatic, situational, and cosmic.

Socratic and dramatic are "truly" ironic, situational is iffy because it can't really be called sarcastic, and cosmic is the Alanis type.

Irony is almost always sarcasm as well, the definitions which never overlap with sarcasm are due to misuse of a word. I'm ok with established meanings having some variance, but people using ironic like that damn song (which is more accurately a litany of tragic coincidences) shouldn't be gotten used to.

More advice: read Six Easy Pieces, Six Not So Easy Pieces, and the Cargo Cult Science writings of Feynman. They're excellent, you will learn things you might not have thought you could understand, and Feynman was a rockstar.
mu

DaveInsurgent

Postby DaveInsurgent » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 am UTC

People make way more money than they let on. Don't settle for what you think is alright.

arbyd

Postby arbyd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Just because you think something, doesn't mean you have to say it.

Mostly given to teenagers and other people complaining about too much drama in their lives.

bantler

Postby bantler » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

Learn ping-pong and chess; You're boring at parties.

Impeach

Postby Impeach » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Well, a good piece of specific advice that I could give is this: Don't vote for Obama.
doogly wrote:Silly France, you can't just make up your own definitions for what fundamental human rights are, those are self evident and endowed within humanity by our creator god. Listen to America on this one, we got this shit on lock.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

The best advice I can give everyone:

Don't respond to the post directly above this one.

capefeather

Postby capefeather » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

rolo91 wrote:Living your life slowly is essentially the same as dying early.

Maybe even worse, because you'll have to face remorse about what you've wasted.

There are good and bad aspects to this advice. Obviously, we'd like to be productive, and it helps to be able to pinpoint times when we feel we haven't been productive to our life goals. Yet, you can't be happy if you're always worried about squeezing every second and trying to do everything you supposedly want to do. Some things simply can't be helped. It's not something to regret in general (though I suppose particular things could deserve regret). We all have finite lives.

oxoiron wrote:My advice:

(1) Before judging others, try to put yourself in their shoes.

(2) Don't assume that by trying to put yourself in their shoes, you did so successfully.

(3) In conclusion, try to not judge others.

(4) For almost everyone, this a hell of a lot harder than it sounds. Don't beat yourself up when you fail, just keep trying. It gets easier with practice.

I was worried that this kind of advice would be too broad, but imo it probably is one of the best pieces of advice that one can give. Judgment is ultimately a claim of superiority over others. That is always a dangerous, negative sentiment to give. It is also a claim to some high level of certainty, which is definitely dangerous as it happens to be one of the best ways to be just plain wrong. Negativity is contagious and difficult to stop. It makes people antisocial, and worse, like being antisocial and hating everybody. Instead, we can and should practice discernment. You can tell someone he can't cook or sing or whatever else, without implying that it's a terrible thing that makes him a worse person. Don't be like House, don't be like Simon Cowell, and definitely don't be like those angry political commentators on TV.

I just wish people close to me in my life could realize this one simple truth...

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:The best advice I can give everyone:

Man that is excellent advice.

My advice! Listen to someone who's wrong, and make an effort to agree with everything they say. Maybe they're actually right, in which case you'll convince yourself and change your own mind. If you're right, then you'll understand their position. You'll be more capable of forming arguments against them and persuading both others and them that they are wrong. More importantly: you'll learn to treat them like humans. However wrong someone is, they probably aren't evil, and they might not be stupid.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:30 am UTC

Pingouin7 wrote:He gives a piece of advice, but then doesn't follow it himself a few sentences later.
Pretty ironic if you ask me.

And there could be some hidden culture somewhere in the world that has bullying/etc. as something that isn't wrong.
(And even then, teasing isn't always wrong.)

I love the assumption that I'm a guy. Also I'm not actually contradicting myself. Telling people "Just because you think somethings wrong, or it's wrong in your culture, doesn't make it so." is telling them not to bully etc. people.
also it's been proven, study after study, that bullying etc, is harmful, both in the long term and the short term. Thus it's not a cultural standard, it's a proven fact.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:01 am UTC

maydayp wrote:I love the assumption that I'm a guy. Also I'm not actually contradicting myself. Telling people "Just because you think somethings wrong, or it's wrong in your culture, doesn't make it so." is telling them not to bully etc. people.
also it's been proven, study after study, that bullying etc, is harmful, both in the long term and the short term. Thus it's not a cultural standard, it's a proven fact.
I (think that I) get what you're saying, and I don't think you're far off the mark, but your terms are a bit unclear. You (essentially) said 'Just because you think something's wrong doesn't make it wrong', then went on to say 'But bullying is wrong in all cases'. You didn't clarify you were talking exclusively about cultural norms; you only mentioned cultural norms as an example of why you might think something's wrong. But maybe I think something's wrong because of empirical facts! And valuing empirical facts over feelings can be a cultural norm too. So if a culture values feeling over logic, and someone from that culture asserts that 2+2=5 because it just feels right, is it wrong for me to tell them that they're incorrect?

To put it another way, maybe?--People aren't wrong to value the things they value, and they aren't wrong to feel the way they feel. How you feel is how you feel; what you value is what you value. There is no 'wrong' answer, and telling people they value the wrong things--or feel the wrong way--gets us no where.

The first step to successful communication, I think, is to recognize your partner's feelings and values. So many arguments seem to be rooted in two people failing to recognize the difference in their values--or failing to simply recognize how they feel about something.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:14 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
maydayp wrote:I love the assumption that I'm a guy. Also I'm not actually contradicting myself. Telling people "Just because you think somethings wrong, or it's wrong in your culture, doesn't make it so." is telling them not to bully etc. people.
I (think that I) get what you're saying, and I don't think you're far off the mark, but your terms are a bit unclear. You (essentially) said 'Just because you think somethings wrong doesn't make it wrong', then went on to say 'But bullying is wrong in all cases'. You didn't clarify you were talking exclusively about cultural norms; you only mentioned cultural norms as an example of why you might think somethings wrong. But maybe I think somethings wrong because of empirical facts! And valuing empirical facts over feelings can be a cultural norm too. So if a culture values feeling over logic, and someone from that culture asserts that 2+2=5 because it just feels right, is it wrong for me to tell them that they're incorrect?

To put it another way, maybe?--People aren't wrong to value the things they value, and they aren't wrong to feel the way they feel. How you feel is how you feel; what you value is what you value. There is no 'wrong' answer, and telling people they value the wrong things--or feel the wrong way--gets us no where.

The first step to successful communication, I think, is to recognize your partner's feelings and values. So many arguments seem to be rooted in two people failing to recognize the difference in their values--or failing to simply recognize how they feel about something.
I agree with the text in bold, but it's not what I was trying to say.
Remember to put the bullying part into context:
just because I'm still alive doesn't mean bullying didn't make me stronger or that the damage has scared over. It doesn't mean that those who aren't alive are weaker then me, or anything like that. Bullying, teasing, etc. is wrong no matter what, even if it doesn't seem to do any "lasting" damage.

People like to dismiss bullying as character building, something that doesn't cause lasting harm (sticks and stones...). They like to say things like "oh he was only teasing" when some one is getting verbally bullied. They dismiss it.
What I meant was. Bullying doesn't really strengthen people. It hurts them, and should not be dismissed. That people who don't make it through the bullying are not weak, or what ever, that those who survive are no stronger then those who didn't.
Heck now I add." Even if it did make you stronger, doesn't mean it's worth the damage it causes."
to sum them up together is hard, because when I say them, I'm looking at two different angles, or positions. the first is a global don't judge, the other is, stop with the bullying is just fun and game stereotypes, they are base off of old, incorrect logic. And make it harder for people to get help.
Just because You believe that [insert belief] is right, does not mean you are right. Nor does it give you the right to put down, bully or abuse anyone who disagrees. Not everyone is like you, experiences things the same way as you, nor wants to. And when you Abuse, bully, or put some one down, you are hurting them, and that pain doesn't go away easily. It has lasting damage, as much as or more then most physical abuse or bullying does. And because of the damage it causes, Bullying, abuse, etc. is wrong. It's wrong in a way that transcends cultural barriers, though some cultures might disagree, because of the harm it causes. Because it can destroy people.

basically: Can't we all get get along, accept that people are different, and stop hurting other because of their differences.

sorry if this makes it even more confusing or if I'm rambling on, I do that a lot.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

Note that I assumed the poster who responded to me and said "he said..." knew the correct gender, I tend to avoid defaulting to one or the other without such hints.
mu

Impeach

Postby Impeach » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:The best advice I can give everyone:

Respond how you will but that is still the advice. Either consider it or ignore it.
doogly wrote:Silly France, you can't just make up your own definitions for what fundamental human rights are, those are self evident and endowed within humanity by our creator god. Listen to America on this one, we got this shit on lock.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 am UTC

Whenever possible, make extra payments on your mortgage. Extra payments go directly to the principal.

Mudd

Postby Mudd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:48 am UTC

Save 10% of everything you earn.
When you get a raise, pretend you didn't and save that extra income too.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

Mudd wrote:Save 10% of everything you earn.

this only works if you make enough money to live on, a good percentage of the population can barely afford rent, food, and bills.

bantler

Postby bantler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

maydayp wrote:

this only works if you make enough money to live on, a good percentage of the population can barely afford rent, food, and bills.

If you're poor, Tithe the 10% to your church and let God make up the difference.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

maydayp wrote:

I've seen very few families so poor they didn't have a TV. In fact, I have never actually met anyone who didn't have a TV for any reason other than personal choice or religious belief, and most of those TVs, even among the fairly poor, were fairly decent flatscreens.

I'm not saying that everyone can save massive amounts of money, now. But saving even a little bit regularly, from early in life, will go a long way towards making your retirement comfortable. And saving a bit of money helps build financial self control and planning skills that you'll need once you earn more. Plenty of people in the US earn $100k+ and still have jack-all for savings.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

bantler wrote:Learn ping-pong and chess; You're boring at parties.

Wait, I know chess and it's not a good conversation subject I've learned... but how does ping-pong require learning?

It's kinda like the labeling on a claymore: point towards enemy.
mu

bantler

Postby bantler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:

Wait, I know chess and it's not a good conversation subject I've learned... but how does ping-pong require learning?

Did fight club talk about fighting?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

bantler wrote:
Max™ wrote:

Did fight club talk about fighting?

Well trying to get people to play chess at a party is even less likely to work out well, again in my experience, and no, if you're talking about anything at fight club or about it elsewhere, you're doing it wrong.
mu

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 pm UTC

Oh, of course, ping pong at parties. That's why there are ping pong balls on the beer aisle in Kalamazoo. Because people bring beer to parties, and they also play ping-pong at parties!
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Return to “Serious Business”