Truth

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

DeadCatX2 wrote:
lukkucairi wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:It's a belief. And I believe it's a poorly defined set of boundaries within a linguistic context.

it's a socially-negotiated construct.

Truth is based on a consensus. If we all agree it's true, then it's true. Truth is malleable and can be changed as the consensus changes.

So, I agree with "socially-negotiated construct".

Not really. Earth flat, existence of ghouls, vampires, witches, sorcerors, wizards, and so on.. lots of people can agree that lots of stuff is true without it having any basis in reality. So, it's true and untrue at the same time, perhaps.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
DeadCatX2 wrote:
lukkucairi wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:It's a belief. And I believe it's a poorly defined set of boundaries within a linguistic context.

it's a socially-negotiated construct.

Truth is based on a consensus. If we all agree it's true, then it's true. Truth is malleable and can be changed as the consensus changes.

So, I agree with "socially-negotiated construct".

Not really. Earth flat, existence of ghouls, vampires, witches, sorcerors, wizards, and so on.. lots of people can agree that lots of stuff is true without it having any basis in reality. So, it's true and untrue at the same time, perhaps.

well, there's a difference between how a rock's existence is true and how a ghost's existence is true - but there are whole complex cultures based upon truths that are only socially negotiated. e.g. pick a religion, any religion.

these ideas are believed by so many people that they take on a truthiness they might not otherwise have had - but they form the basis of a working society, so they have to be taken as "true" at least as much as an arbitrary statement like "x = 9" can be said to be true if the value 9 makes the rest of the equation function.

Return to “Serious Business”