In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:44 am UTC

In Germany, being late is a capital offense.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 am UTC

Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/tech ... -rico.html
Dozens of entrepreneurs, made newly wealthy by blockchain and cryptocurrencies, are heading en masse to Puerto Rico this winter. They are selling their homes and cars in California and establishing residency on the Caribbean island in hopes of avoiding what they see as onerous state and federal taxes on their growing fortunes, some of which now reach into the billions of dollars.

And these men — because they are almost exclusively men — have a plan for what to do with the wealth: They want to build a crypto utopia, a new city where the money is virtual and the contracts are all public, to show the rest of the world what a crypto future could look like. Blockchain, a digital ledger that forms the basis of virtual currencies, has the potential to reinvent society — and the Puertopians want to prove it.
Newly rich cryptocoin guys that definitely aren't scams/bubbles are moving to Puerto Rico to create a utopia...or just avoid income taxes.
I see a lot of talk, but I don't see anyone spending any real(well substantial percentage of their wealth) money.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 pm UTC

Oh goody. It'll be just like Galt's Gulch, only based on bottlecaps!
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:13 pm UTC

sardia wrote:create a utopia...or just avoid income taxes.

Aren't those one and the same to a rich capitalist?

idonno

Postby idonno » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 am UTC

sardia wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/technology/cryptocurrency-puerto-rico.html
Dozens of entrepreneurs, made newly wealthy by blockchain and cryptocurrencies, are heading en masse to Puerto Rico this winter. They are selling their homes and cars in California and establishing residency on the Caribbean island in hopes of avoiding what they see as onerous state and federal taxes on their growing fortunes, some of which now reach into the billions of dollars.

And these men — because they are almost exclusively men — have a plan for what to do with the wealth: They want to build a crypto utopia, a new city where the money is virtual and the contracts are all public, to show the rest of the world what a crypto future could look like. Blockchain, a digital ledger that forms the basis of virtual currencies, has the potential to reinvent society — and the Puertopians want to prove it.
Newly rich cryptocoin guys that definitely aren't scams/bubbles are moving to Puerto Rico to create a utopia...or just avoid income taxes.
I see a lot of talk, but I don't see anyone spending any real(well substantial percentage of their wealth) money.

I can't wait until they find out how much it costs both in time and money to maintain and run a city. If they aren't smart enough to not sink large portions of their own wealth into it, I suspect that many of them are going to go broke. Billions may sound like a lot but building proper infrastructure will blow through that pretty quickly and I wish them luck issuing bonds so they don't have to pay it all up front.

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:07 pm UTC

idonno wrote:I can't wait until they find out how much it costs both in time and money to maintain and run a city. If they aren't smart enough to not sink large portions of their own wealth into it, I suspect that many of them are going to go broke. Billions may sound like a lot but building proper infrastructure will blow through that pretty quickly and I wish them luck issuing bonds so they don't have to pay it all up front.

Imagine their surprise when they figure out they'll have to tax each other to do it. It'll almost equal their shock when they realize they need filthy plebes to live alongside them so actual work can get done.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:13 pm UTC

iamspen wrote:
idonno wrote:I can't wait until they find out how much it costs both in time and money to maintain and run a city. If they aren't smart enough to not sink large portions of their own wealth into it, I suspect that many of them are going to go broke. Billions may sound like a lot but building proper infrastructure will blow through that pretty quickly and I wish them luck issuing bonds so they don't have to pay it all up front.

Imagine their surprise when they figure out they'll have to tax each other to do it. It'll almost equal their shock when they realize they need filthy plebes to live alongside them so actual work can get done.

It's https://xkcd.com/1831/ isn't it?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm UTC

Just do what Manhattan does. Import all the workers during the day, then ship them out at night.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Just do what Manhattan does. Import all the workers during the day, then ship them out at night.

For quite a few seconds I wondered if that could be a Watchmen reference. Also, see Monaco (and presumably many city states).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Just do what Manhattan does. Import all the workers during the day, then ship them out at night.

Unsurprisingly*, this is also what San Fransisco does.

*Both high-priced, built-up urban spaces which are growth-restricted due to geography
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 pm UTC

And Lichtenstein.

I'm not exactly a commie, but I believe that if you do a job that society depends upon to function, you deserve to be included in that society and should be paid a living wage to be a part of it. If you do a job that's necessary for someone else to make money even if society could function without you, even so, if the company "can't afford" to give you a living wage then the company can't afford to pay anyone significantly more than you, and executive pay should be capped at perhaps what the president makes.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:

Unsurprisingly*, this is also what San Fransisco does.

*Both high-priced, built-up urban spaces which are growth-restricted due to geography

I felt like that is what they were doing where I use to live in San Francisco. Bring in working women during the day and at night send them back to... wherever they came from, not like I lived out of the city or whatever, but it FELT like it. I lived in an out of the ways locale to my current jobs though, is what I'm saying, anyways.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 am UTC

iamspen wrote:Imagine their surprise when they figure out they'll have to tax each other to do it.
They don't have to tax each other. They are building a libertarian paradise. Everything can be privately owned and paid for via free market transactions. This will be much more efficient than taxation. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Do you have any idea how much all the infrastructure to ship an entire workforce in and out costs to build and maintain?

CorruptUser wrote:I'm not exactly a commie, but I believe that if you do a job that society depends upon to function, you deserve to be included in that society and should be paid a living wage to be a part of it. If you do a job that's necessary for someone else to make money even if society could function without you, even so, if the company "can't afford" to give you a living wage then the company can't afford to pay anyone significantly more than you, and executive pay should be capped at perhaps what the president makes.

You want to be very careful before tampering with stuff like that. If it moves too much of the income earned into the major city, it could cause surrounding cities/towns economies to shrink substantially and turn the area into a poverty trap for the people who are not fortunate enough to have one of the now higher paying city jobs. This might not be an issue if most people opt to stay and just save money but it is a non trivial risk especially for anywhere that is already struggling. It probably would have been better off if this was set up before the current situation formed but we have to work with what we have and as such we should be careful not to accidentally screw over large groups of people when trying to do good. The benefit may be worth the cost but we need a much better measure of both before being able to determine that.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:21 am UTC

idonno wrote:

Do you have any idea how much all the infrastructure to ship an entire workforce in and out costs to build and maintain?

One of the world's largest subway and rail networks, combined with several fleets of busses and a pair of ferries, a half dozen huge bridges and several tunnels, to say nothing of thousands of miles of road networks and highways and the industrial capacity to mass produce enough vehicles? A metric fuckton, that's how much it costs. The MTA alone is about a third of a billion per year, interestingly pension and benefits cost nearly as much as the base salary, but that's what it is. Manhattan has something like 1.5m residents but during the day it's closer to 4m.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pm UTC

idonno wrote:Do you have any idea how much all the infrastructure to ship an entire workforce in and out costs to build and maintain?

Well, in SF it's the combination of some major bridges (which become tangled messes or parking lots every day during the morning and evening rush, as well as randomly at the drop of a hat), two extensive underground/overground rail systems (BART, which also services the rest of the bay area, and MUNI which is just SF), an also extensive bus system (part of MUNI), as well as informal ride-sharing. Google even has it's own fleet of busses to transport people to/from their campus in mountianview (a very controversial system, as they use city bus stops, but only service google employees).

It's...a mess.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

And practically nothing in Marin!

I'm not looking forward to that.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm UTC

I wonder if we should send those rich guys a copy of Bioshock.

Also, here is a good article to help you understand the scale cities work on. Oh, in case you do not know, the Big Dig was a huge project to rebuild huge sections of Boston's highway system.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm UTC

I drove through that!

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 pm UTC

I worked on that, briefly.

anyone who tells you Boston drivers are the worst.... they are. Hands down, easily the worst. I swear, they see me working on the side of the road with cones, they take it as a personal affront and aim towards them.

And the little old ladies who all you can see is a tuft of white hair through the steering wheel going 65 in a 30 mph construction zone? literally the most dangerous people on the road.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:54 pm UTC

Boston drivers? Oh puh-lease, try driving through Providence, the place that terrifies the beantown boys who were drunk enough to think that Rhode Island was a good place to visit.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

Providence is terrible, I'll admit, mostly because they don't believe in lanes any wider than 9.15 feet and speeds less than 50 mph, but at least in Providence they don't aim for you in a malicious way - they aim for you in a dispassionate, hates everyone kind of way. Boston drivers - those people are malicious. Its like a construction helmet and safety vest is a red flag in front of their bullish tiny brains.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

In Boston, "yield" and "sideswipe" are synonyms.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm UTC

You should have a giant hole around a turn, and a construction worker blocking that hole. If they stay in their lane, it's fine, but too close to the worker and, well. Maybe make that hole full of raw sewage, if you can figure out how to not splash the worker.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

I'd rather have dump trucks full of concrete as barriers. Hit a couple and maybe you won't be so eager to run me over.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm UTC

Is it usually the little old ladies, or is it every Bostonian?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm UTC

Every Bostonian, but little old ladies are the worst of the worst.

That is typical of everywhere, though. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Pu ... ion/810853 Stats that back that up - women over 65 are the worst drivers, excepting teenagers.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:52 pm UTC

Your pdf says that women over 65 show much less fatalities than men over 65? 43% of fatalities-over-65 for 59% of the population-over-65, so about half the rate of the men over 65. And that doesn't account for the grouping error - the women over 65 are on average much older than the men over 65, which will produce a misleading skew.

Assuming that more fatalities implies worse drivers (otherwise the pdf says nothing?) , then surely old men are the worst drivers?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

Edit: Ninja'd ... didn't spot the potential for grouping error too... good point Zamfir.

eran_rathan wrote:That is typical of everywhere, though. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Pu ... ion/810853 Stats that back that up - women over 65 are the worst drivers, excepting teenagers.

I think you've got that the wrong way round:

Motor vehicle crash fatalities were higher for males
than females in all age groups, while the male population
is equal to or less than the female population
in all age groups.

Among the over-65 age group, mean population was 41
percent for males and 59 percent for females from 1996
through 2006. However, the fatalities were 57 percent
for males and 43 percent for females during the same
time period indicating an over-repre­sen­ta­tion of males
in crash fatalities.

That implies that men over 65 are more likely to be killed in a car crash than women over 65 - which even so isn't really the same thing as being worse drivers. It's overall population they're quoting, not population of drivers, so there's no correction for the percentage of people who drive, nor for the number of miles driven, and that data potentially includes passenger, pedestrian and cyclist fatalities as well as driver fatalities (I can't find anything in that report saying it doesn't). It also doesn't account for the fact that older people in on-average poorer health are more likely to die as a result of any given accident than younger people.

Basically, that report doesn't really support any conclusions at all about who is the worst driver, and it's pretty poor form to use such inappropriate data (which if anything supports the opposite of your conclusion) to support a sexist stereotype.

Appopros of nothing that report appears to be going strong for a "least appealing presentation of data" award.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 pm UTC

I think this is one of the issues with Red shirts. In Star Trek TOS, red shirts made up the bulk of the deaths on the show, but also the bulk of the cast. The gold shirts were actually the most likely to be killed, not counting the obscure colors, and none of the deaths in the first few episodes were red shirts.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

Instead of bobcat package contained tiger.
Would not buy again.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/someone-tried-to-express-mail-a-tiger-cub/

(I only find it humorous because the cub was ok.)

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm UTC

I imagine that would be the easiest investigation in US history.

On the news yesterday, there was a report of a chicken that had run away turned into the cops. The cops suspect no fowl play. They urge the owner to pick of their pet quickly, because they do not know how to properly care for a chicken. They are just winging it. (Puns included in original broadcast. It is a good world we live in.)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:On the news yesterday, there was a report of a chicken that had run away turned into the cops. The cops suspect no fowl play. They urge the owner to pick of their pet quickly, because they do not know how to properly care for a chicken. They are just winging it. (Puns included in original broadcast. It is a good world we live in.)

Sadly, broadcast journalists can't win a Pullet Surprise.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm UTC

The Austrian Freedom Party, founded in 1956 by a former officer of the SS, has set up a panel to investigate its own history in the hope of disassociating itself from anti-semitism and racism.

The idea, apparently, is that once people learn all about the history of the Freedom Party, which was founded in 1956 by a former officer of the SS, they'll stop association the Freedom Party, which was founded in 1956 by a former officer of the SS, with anti-semitism and racism.

Seeing this in a newspaper has caused me to look for the article online. I did not find it, but did find these pages:

European Jews Divided on Austrias New Government With Party With Nazi Past Some are appalled by the inclusion of the far-right Freedom Party, but others are willing to wait and see what it will do in power.

The Jewish world is divided over how to react to the swearing-in Monday of an Austrian government that includes the Freedom Party, which has anti-Semitic and Nazi roots. In the Austrian Jewish community, some people say Freedom Party leader Heinz-Christian Strache, now the countrys vice chancellor, deserves a chance to mend the party's ways.

They note that the platform of the new government, which is headed by center-right leader Sebastian Kurz, includes pro-Israel policies and a commitment to fight anti-Semitism.

But the European Jewish Congress has expressed serious concerns about the inclusion of the Freedom Party, noting the outfit's long history of anti-Semitism and xenophobia since its founding in 1956.

Rise of far-right raises fears Austria hasn’t learned from Nazi past

Like Germany’s governments, those of neighboring Austria have acknowledged their country’s role as a chief perpetrator of the Holocaust.

Since the 1990s, Austrian officials have faced up to and condemned how their countrymen and authorities supported Adolf Hitler, an Austria native, and his war of annihilation against Jews.

Yet in spite of this increased sensitivity, nationalism with Nazi roots is making a comeback in Austria: The far-right Freedom Party, or FPOe, which was founded in 1956 by a former SS officer, on Sunday became the only coalition partner of Chancellor-elect Sebastian Kurz’s People’s Party. Kurz ignored the calls by local Jews to drop FPOe.

Amid the ascendancy of far-right populism across Europe, its revival in Austria is seen as particularly alarming, suggesting to many Jewish leaders and liberals a failure by society to learn from its recent history. After all, if a country that does nearly everything “right” when it comes to Holocaust education can fail to inoculate itself from the kind of hatred that makes genocide possible, watchdogs have begun asking, what hope is there for other countries in the region, such as Hungary and Poland, which face rising nationalism amid complicated reckonings with their own Holocaust legacies?

Freedom Party of Austria - what you need to know

The Freedom Party (FPÖ) has long positioned itself as a political "defender of tradition" in Austria. The far-right populists are credited with shifting Austrian politics to the right with a host of actions and demands including:

- A strong anti-Muslim message and long-time call for a ban on face veils, which has since become law.

- Party leader Hans-Christian Strache demanding an end to immigration to the country of 8.7 million, a position that appears to resonate with a broad swathe of Austrians, who took in tens of thousands of asylum-seekers during the European refugee crisis of 2015.

- Strache likening the failed coup in Turkey and subsequent purges to the burning of the Reichstag in Nazi Germany.

- The party following a euroskeptic course and aligning itself closely with Germany's Alternative for Germany and Marine Le Pen's Front National.

Anyway, yes,
Austria's far-right Freedom Party sets up panel to examine its past

VIENNA, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Austria's right-wing Freedom Party, which entered government in December, announced on Tuesday is was setting up a panel of people to investigate its history, a bid to distance itself from anti-Semitism and racism.

The opposition dismissed the plan as a whitewash by the FPO, which was formed in 1956 by a former officer in the SS -- the armed wing of the Nazi party -- and has struggled for years to rid itself of its radical-right image.

Spoiler:
The FPO governs as a junior partner with Chancellor Sebastian Kurz's conservatives after coming in third in elections in October, with 26 percent of the vote.

While proclaiming a clear break with its roots, the anti-Islam FPO has stumbled over Nazi scandals.

A high-ranking local party official who helped lead a far-right fraternity which distributed a songbook that joked about killing Jews resigned under pressure this month.

Chancellor Kurz has vowed to fight anti-Semitism after Israel said it would shun officials from the FPO, which controls the posts of foreign, interior and defence ministers.

"We reject violence, totalitarianism and racism in any form," FPO General Secretary Harald Vilimsky told a news conference.

"We will never forget the dark chapters of Austrian history, and we clearly deny any downplaying of National Socialism," said Vilimsky, a member of the European Parliament group that includes the parties of France's Front National and a Dutch nationalist party led by Geert Wilders.

Nazi Germany annexed Austria in 1938.

A commission of 30-50 researchers led by FPO politician and historian Wilhelm Brauneder will examine the party's past, the FPO's parliamentary group leader, Walter Rosenkranz, said.

The FPO has struggled to divert attention from its close ties with German nationalist student networks, widely seen as a gateway between the political far right and neo-Nazis.

Rosenkranz said he hoped the commission could get access to fraternities' private records.

"We also want to persuade all critics to provide us with everything still slumbering in their archives," he said.

Andreas Schieder, parliamentary leader of the centre-left Social Democrats, called the panel "completely implausible" with Brauneder as its head. Schieder said the commission needed independent experts to do a proper job.

About 40 percent of FPO members of parliament, several FPO ministers and numerous FPO ministry staff - including Vice Chancellor Heinz-Christian Strache - are members of right-wing fraternities, Austria's Jewish community has said. (Reporting by Kirsti Knolle; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

... they'd like you all to stop thinking of them as racist and anti-semitic. They're not anti-semitic at all. They're all utterly convinced that Hitler's attempt to exterminate the Jews was a terrible mistake: right idea, wrong religion.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm UTC

Hey now, pretending you believe that racism is wrong is the first step towards making a less racist society. It's telling the next generation that they arent supposed to be racist, and they will only have unconscious biases rather than overt racism, and then their kids will grow up less racist, and so on.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:26 pm UTC

I don't understand how or in what way that is humorous.
Maybe, you clicked on the Wrong Thread.

That looks more Dark than funny.
Spoiler:
Funny is Canadians having Tea and ending up Naked.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 pm UTC

Did you happen to note what kind of tea does that and where it's sold?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 am UTC

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:where it's sold?

Long Island, presumably.

Return to “News & Articles”