The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Sableagle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm UTC

Two teenagers killed and two children among injured in three-car crash on A61

Two teenagers have died and two children are among seven injured after a three-car crash on the A61.

North Yorkshire Police said a black Ford Focus, a black Vauxhall Corsa and a green Volkswagen Bora were involved in the collision near Thirsk on Wednesday at around 9.25pm.

The boys, believed to be 17, died at the scene and five adults and two children were taken to hospital.
Two teenagers killed in crash near Thirsk

Two teenagers have been killed in a three-vehicle crash, police have said.

The pair, both believed to be 17 years old, were pronounced dead at the scene near Thirsk, North Yorkshire Police said.

Officers were called to reports of a collision involving a Ford Focus, Vauxhall Corsa and a Volkswagen Bora at 21:25 GMT on Wednesday.

Seven others, including two children, were taken to hospital after the crash, the force said.
A61 crash: Two teenagers killed in three-car pile-up in North Yorkshire

Two teenagers have been killed in a three-car pile-up in North Yorkshire.

A further seven people, including two children, were injured in the crash on the A61 near Thirsk on Wednesday evening.

North Yorkshire Police said a black Ford Focus, a black Vauxhall Corsa and a green Volkswagen Bora were involved in the collision.

The boys, believed to be 17, died at the scene and five adults and two children were taken to hospital.

Apparently a few other people "can't catch a break" either.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

It looks like there is a series of hate crimes underway in Austin. In the past 10 days there have been two package bombs that killed black people in East Austin. The postal service said that they didn’t deliver the packages, so they aren’t going through the mail.

I’m particularly offended by this — I’m from there! I know that the city has major issues with segregation and gentrification, but I’m disgusted that anybody would do this.

EDIT: It looks like there was a second bombing today! This time it’s an elderly woman...

EDIT 2: On reading another article about the second explosion, I’ve found a bunch of deranged comments on said news articles about how it’s because of the leftists and illegal immigrants and Austin being a sanctuary city and antifa. Ugh. It pisses me off that instead of focusing on the issue that there is a string of bombings that are possibly racially motivated, people are bickering about politics.

I’m hoping the FBI will help investigate — the police department hasn’t had a long-term head since Art Acevedo left for Houston. While I don’t doubt the competence of the interim head, it’d be nice if they got help from people more experienced in this kind of stuff. It’s not like this kind of thing happens every day.

I wonder if they’re linked to the fact that SXSW is going on right now?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm UTC

The perpetrator is likely smart enough to not do more package bombs, now that the police are looking for that. So... what's next? Years ago, someone slipped cyanide into aspirin bottles in stores, which is why they now come with the tamper seals, but it's not too hard to, idk, go into a walgreens and poison some products in other ways.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:14 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The perpetrator is likely smart enough to not do more package bombs, now that the police are looking for that. So... what's next? Years ago, someone slipped cyanide into aspirin bottles in stores, which is why they now come with the tamper seals, but it's not too hard to, idk, go into a walgreens and poison some products in other ways.

I’m not sure. Is it random? Targeted? The victims don’t seem to have anything immediately in common, other than living in East Austin. On an unrelated note, apparently APD hasn’t published a Spanish version of the warning to call 911 if you get a suspicious package — which is idiotic. East Austin is primarily Hispanic, and there are a fair number of Spanish speakers — IIRC, about 20% speak Spanish at home (according to the Census Bureau, it’s 30% speak a language other than English at home)
Last edited by pogrmman on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The perpetrator is likely smart enough to not do more package bombs, now that the police are looking for that. So... what's next? Years ago, someone slipped cyanide into aspirin bottles in stores, which is why they now come with the tamper seals, but it's not too hard to, idk, go into a walgreens and poison some products in other ways.

The commentary on Fox is either full of Russian bots or are awful people. It's either references to gun control, raise the age limit to buy bombs etc etc.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 pm UTC

I’m listening to the press briefing about the third bombing — the victim was an elderly Latina woman. Apparently, she’s stable but in critical condition with life-threatening injuries.

Apparently, the bomb went off when she picked up the package. They’re saying people shouldn’t handle any suspicious package at all. The national response team of the ATF, the San Antonio-Austin branch of the FBI, and the Dallas branch of the FBI are all working together on it with APD.

There have been enough calls that the interim police chief says response may be slow, especially when combined for the need for safety at SXSW. Apparently, they’re bringing in teams from other departments and have even gotten a call from the governor asking if they need help.

The mayor and city manager are also there.

Chief of Police wrote:“There was nothing in that moment [the first incident on March 2nd] that suggested to us that it was anything more than an isolated incident, but with what we know today, we believe that the three incidents are linked.”

They aren’t ruling out any motives, apparently. There aren’t any descriptions of a suspect or a vehicle, so it doesn’t look like there is much to go on.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

East Austin is where black people had to move. It's being "gentrified," meaning existing single-storey houses are being replaced with multi-storey houses and prices are going through the roof, forcing black families out. First two bombings were on single-storey streets, and second one very close to the Texas Civil Rights Project.
It doesn't have to be targetting specific black people with something more than that in common to be targetting black people.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:East Austin is where black people had to move. It's being "gentrified," meaning existing single-storey houses are being replaced with multi-storey houses and prices are going through the roof, forcing black families out. First two bombings were on single-storey streets, and second one very close to the Texas Civil Rights Project.
It doesn't have to be targetting specific black people with something more than that in common to be targetting black people.

Or it could be targeting minorities in general. The area where the last bomb went off is majority Hispanic — like most of the southern part of East Austin. Unfortunately, because the city is so segregated, it’s pretty easy to target attacks like this at minorities. Austin doesn’t really have a big black population — lots have left because of said gentrification.
You can really see how much East Austin has been gentrifying with this map of percent increase in home value between 2010 and 2015. You can really see the degree of economic segregation on this map. (The lower income areas in the north-center and on the stretch from mopac (loop 1) to the lake are because that’s where UT students live).

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 pm UTC

I'm not sure a couple of bombings is enough to draw conclusions about motives from. Being black isn't particularly uncommon; if 3 men were killed most wouldn't assume it was the work of a mysandrist.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 am UTC

Kind of surreal to see my home town getting this kind of attention.

I remember four years ago during SXSW someone crashed a car into a crowd downtown and got a similar level of attention. That turned out to just be a drunk idiot trying to escape police in a stolen car though. I expect this also has little to do with SXSW other than coincidental timing, though package bombs are quite a bit more unusual than drunk driving.

pogrmman wrote:
Sableagle wrote:East Austin is where black people had to move. It's being "gentrified," meaning existing single-storey houses are being replaced with multi-storey houses and prices are going through the roof, forcing black families out. First two bombings were on single-storey streets, and second one very close to the Texas Civil Rights Project.

Or it could be targeting minorities in general. The area where the last bomb went off is majority Hispanic — like most of the southern part of East Austin. Unfortunately, because the city is so segregated, it’s pretty easy to target attacks like this at minorities. Austin doesn’t really have a big black population — lots have left because of said gentrification.
You can really see how much East Austin has been gentrifying with this map of percent increase in home value between 2010 and 2015. You can really see the degree of economic segregation on this map. (The lower income areas in the north-center and on the stretch from mopac (loop 1) to the lake are because that’s where UT students live).

The first bomb is a bit north of what I would consider 'East Austin' it's at the very North border of the 78753 zip-code on property value map, and the median income map shows it as $60k-$75k. And it's too far North to show on the African American population concentration map. On google maps the neighborhood looks like a recent-ish (late 90s, early 2000's) middle-class suburban subdivision, before which it was probably an empty field. Definitely feels like an outlier if the pattern is supposed to be 'low-income/minority dominated neighborhoods and/or areas undergoing gentrification.'
Not that either side of Austin's gentrification debate have been particularly discriminating I guess. It's not uncommon for long-time native Austinite owned businesses to be subject to anti-gentrification graffiti/vandalism, and recent franchises upheld as the sort of valuable businesses that gentrification is supposed to destroy. Maybe that happens everywhere though, gentrification is a complex issue and idiots are common.

pogrmman wrote:apparently APD hasn’t published a Spanish version of the warning to call 911 if you get a suspicious package — which is idiotic. East Austin is primarily Hispanic, and there are a fair number of Spanish speakers — IIRC, about 20% speak Spanish at home (according to the Census Bureau, it’s 30% speak a language other than English at home)

The warning's I've seen also only say not to open strange packages, nothing about picking them up/moving them when that's what seems to actually be triggering them.
(EDIT: Most recent warnings now say not to handle suspicious packages at all, and are going out in both English and Spanish.)

I know several people who do delivery for Amazon and like UberEats/Favor type stuff that are a little concerned they might be mistaken for the bomber while performing their normal duties, since they use their own cars and don't have any kind of uniform. Definitely a situation ripe for all kinds of unfortunate confusion and mistakes.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
I'm not sure a couple of bombings is enough to draw conclusions about motives from. Being black isn't particularly uncommon; if 3 men were killed most wouldn't assume it was the work of a mysandrist.
Being black is more uncommon than being male, and unlike misandrist terrorism, anti-minority terrorism is a real thing. It even happens on a fairly regular basis in one form or another, unfortunately.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
Being black is more uncommon than being male, and unlike misandrist terrorism, anti-minority terrorism is a real thing. It even happens on a fairly regular basis in one form or another, unfortunately.

Austin is 8% black. The odds that 3 random bombs in Austin hit at least 2 black people is (3C2)*(.08)^2*(.92) + (3C3)*(.08)^3, or .018176. Assuming that if the person was indeed targeting black people, well, going to pull some numbers out of my ass here, but let's assume that in such a case each bomb would have a 70% chance of hitting a black person, in which case it's (3C2)*(.7)^2*(.3) + (3C3)*(.7)^3, or .784. Before we continue, we need to know the priors. What percent of psycho murders are hate crimes? According to the FBI, there were 9 hate crime murders in 2016. That seems... low. What was that, the Charleston church murders? But let's say it's 60 hate crime murders each year, out of 12,000 murders. Let's get rid of the drug murders, because I doubt this incident is over drugs, does seem oddly random. So 60 out of 6000, or 1%. So the probability that this is a hate crime against black people rather than just random is .01*.784/(.01*.784 + .99*.018176) or .00784/(.00784+.01799) or about 30%. So 30% chance of hate crime targeting black people, 70% chance random murder.

Of course, this ain't exactly a hill I intend to die on, so if you have any suggestions as to how I should alter the numbers I plug in...

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:The first bomb is a bit north of what I would consider 'East Austin' it's at the very North border of the 78753 zip-code on property value map, and the median income map shows it as $60k-$75k.

I’d also consider it to be further north than East Austin proper, but IDK enough about that part of the city to know what the demographics are like. Though it looks like that area doesn’t have many black people.

It still seem like it could be targeted to minorities though to me. IDK about this guy’s credentials or knowledge of the investigation, but somebody KXAN interviewed said it’s possible the first bomb was a test run...

Whatever it is, it’s still bizarre and confusing to see this happening in my hometown. At least when the crazy dude crashed his plane into the IRS building a few years back, it came out pretty fast what he was up to.

For what it’s worth, it seems like if this were some sort of messed up message about gentrification, they’d’ve gone after some of those new hipstery developments (like those ones on East 6th or the multitude of other ones).

I just think it might have something to do with the victims being minorities — I mean, that’s really the only obvious thing that links them — and, at least in the attacks today, the areas are pretty strongly nonwhite.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am UTC

I though the first bomb Monday might have been a copycat, but two on the same day makes me think the one on the 2nd being a test is more likely. If it *is* racially motivated, might turn out that the first victim had some connection to the bomber and then they moved on to neighbors with denser minority populations.

My suspicion though is that there's either some as-yet unknown connection between the victims, or the attacks are largely random and the victims so far being minorities is a geographical fluke due to the attacks all taking place on the East side.

It's also possible that one or two of the victims were the 'real' targets, and the rest were trial runs or attempts to conceal the actual motive by making it seem like a spree.

There's just not enough information yet for more than wild speculation.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:For what it’s worth, it seems like if this were some sort of messed up message about gentrification, they’d’ve gone after some of those new hipstery developments (like those ones on East 6th or the multitude of other ones).

I just think it might have something to do with the victims being minorities — I mean, that’s really the only obvious thing that links them — and, at least in the attacks today, the areas are pretty strongly nonwhite.

EdgarJPublius wrote:... two on the same day makes me think the one on the 2nd being a test is more likely. If it *is* racially motivated, might turn out that the first victim had some connection to the bomber and then they moved on to neighbors with denser minority populations.

My suspicion though is that there's either some as-yet unknown connection between the victims, or the attacks are largely random and the victims so far being minorities is a geographical fluke due to the attacks all taking place on the East side.
Maybe the first one, being something like the one black family in "a white neighbourhood," was visible as a specific target to someone living, working or visiting there and the others were "black neighbourhoods" in general to target black people in general. Not a protest against gentrification but someone's idea of helping gentrification along ...

... based on some really fucked-up definitions of "gent," that is.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:52 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Of course, this ain't exactly a hill I intend to die on, so if you have any suggestions as to how I should alter the numbers I plug in...
You're counting from all (non-drug-related) murders, but how many of those 6k murders every year are done with bombs? How many terrorism-related murders are done with bombs?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Of course, this ain't exactly a hill I intend to die on, so if you have any suggestions as to how I should alter the numbers I plug in...
You're counting from all (non-drug-related) murders, but how many of those 6k murders every year are done with bombs? How many terrorism-related murders are done with bombs?

The bulk of hate-crime murders have been gun deaths like Charleston, the rare vehicular homicide, etc. When you are getting too far into the superlatives of mail bombs, you aren't going to have credible data. Because there's what, the Unibomber? Ok, so 100% of all mail bombers are deranged environmentalists? No, just restrict it to "murderers other than drug dealers" for simplicity, because otherwise I'm going to point out that the 60 is too high; was 18 hate crime murders in 2015 (half was Charleston), 4 in 2014 and 5 in 2013 from FBI, so it seems more like somewhere in the ballpark "10 hate murders a year" is the normal level. Using 1% as a prior is an overestimate.

The point is, 3 data points is enough to speculate, but nowhere near enough to draw conclusions from.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 pm UTC

https://www.adl.org/education/resources ... ted-states
The anti defamation league notes 150 incidents over 25 years for alt right terrorism alone. This includes any criminals from anti government, KKK, Islamaphobe, anti immigration, anti abortion, and white supremacists.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/u-s-s ... every-year
PBS calls out 300 attacks every year, which in white people terms, would be a 9/11 every decade.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

And how many of those are murder?

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:And how many of those are murder?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wh ... ys-n838896
Last year’s data match historical trends recorded by the ADL. The organization counted 387 extremist-related murders over the last decade: Right-wing extremists were responsible for 71 percent of those murders, while Islamic extremists were linked to 26 percent.
I would take these numbers with a grain of salt, but the seriousness of each threat doesn't match our response.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

So... 39 a year?

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm UTC

I thought this piece on the underwhelming response to the first bombing was interesting. What they say in there about how if the first one had gone off west of I35, there would’ve been a bigger response is most probably true.

Fortunately, the police do have a theory, though it is a bit strange. Because the first two victims were from families that knew each other, the cops think the bomber might have been trying to target a neighbor of the third victim. I really don’t know how much I believe that though. It seems like somebody who went to the effort of building these things would’ve done a better job identifying the target.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the specific bomb materials will be helpful to track them down. That makes me think it was something like a fertilizer bomb. I’ll be interested to see where this goes.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:11 pm UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/p ... paign.html
Voter-profiling company Cambridge Analytica prepared to wade into the 2014 American midterm elections, it had a problem.
The firm had secured a $15 million investment from Robert Mercer, the wealthy Republican donor, and wooed his political adviser, Stephen K. Bannon, with the promise of tools that could identify the personalities of American voters and influence their behavior. But it did not have the data to make its new products work.

So the firm harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission, according to former Cambridge employees, associates and documents, making it one of the largest data leaks in the social network’s history. The breach allowed the company to exploit the private social media activity of a huge swath of the American electorate, developing techniques that underpinned its work on President Trump’s campaign in 2016.
An examination by The New York Times and The Observer of London reveals how Cambridge Analytica’s drive to bring to market a potentially powerful new weapon put the firm — and wealthy conservative investors seeking to reshape politics — under scrutiny from investigators and lawmakers on both sides of the Atlantic.

So if you pay people to take surveys via facebook app, you can get them to secretly agree to giveaway all their private data, along with the data of all their friends. Out of the original 300,000 survey participants, 50,000,000 people had their data stolen. This was then used to power culture warfare and voteforming in the 2016 election. Facebook is investigating, while trying to downplay the significance.

It's a long article, and these GOP billionaires spent a lot of money for this data, and the resulting propaganda campaign. I wonder if they got their money's worth...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

Yes.
Yes, they did.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 am UTC

And this is why Facebook needs to burn and die.

I mean, I fucking knew it was all a scam to get you to sign away your personal information when it started, but they certainly went my predictions one better by selling it out to those fuckers.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm UTC

I am not quite sure what the scandal is here, exactly. This is Facebook's business model, right? They know all this stuff, you pay them money, they do creepy manipulative advertisement for you. It's not a secret, it s their official business model.

Apparently, the Trump campaign didn't have enough money, so they stole enough data to do the targeted advertisement without paying Facebook their cut. I understand why Facebook might not like that, they wanted to get paid for that. But for rest of the world, does it really matter whether your propaganda came with or without the proper payoff to Facebook?

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm UTC

My understanding is that the "stolen" data came from terms of service of an app that they got Amazon Turkers to download. The app mined the profile information of the turkers and their entire list of facebook friends... even if the friends did not agree to have their data taken in such a form. Technically the turker's facebook friends trusted the turker, who then betrayed them by handing their private information to the company running the campaign.

They may not have known this would happen, because it was buried deep in the TOS (or maybe not; maybe the app just did stuff but in any case you are responsible for whatever the app does).

And that is why facebook (and all other services that implicitly promote this kind of behavior) should burn and die.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I am not quite sure what the scandal is here, exactly. This is Facebook's business model, right? They know all this stuff, you pay them money, they do creepy manipulative advertisement for you. It's not a secret, it s their official business model.

Apparently, the Trump campaign didn't have enough money, so they stole enough data to do the targeted advertisement without paying Facebook their cut. I understand why Facebook might not like that, they wanted to get paid for that. But for rest of the world, does it really matter whether your propaganda came with or without the proper payoff to Facebook?

It depends on how scummy you think institutions are. If you are ok with this, does any level of white collar criminality matter? Like how is this any different than the Equifax Breach?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:35 pm UTC

I stopped using FB about 10 years ago, around the time my parents joined and harassed me on every little thing I did and all my 'friends' kept trying to get me to join mafia wars or whatever. I'd delete my account entirely, but apparently you need a social media presence of some form to get a job today. Luckily there's linkedin, which just generates a different kind of spam than FB.

So my question becomes, is my data worth anything to these people?

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So my question becomes, is my data worth anything to these people?
Yep. Just the metadata about your metadata (what kinds of friends you have) lets them build profiles, and those profiles allow them (and their customers) to target you even outside of facebook. Even if you aren't current, your friends are busy tagging you on everything they do.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 pm UTC

So yeah, I agree with Monroe's most recent comic. The problem is not AI's rebelling against mankind, but AI's still working for mankind...

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 am UTC

Really, we need to work on the Singularity happening sooner, rather than later.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 am UTC

I’m home for break, and I’m watching the news right now, and there was just a fourth bombing in Austin. This one was in the southwest part of the city. This is insane.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Really, we need to work on the Singularity happening sooner, rather than later.

That's not going to help matters. Just picture the inevitable: Clippy asking "It looks like you're trying to foment political unrest and destabilization in rival nations. I have some templates that may help..."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm UTC

@pogrmman

According to that article, the two new victims were "Anglo males". Not sure what the connection to the other victims is. Could be a second (or third!) bomber. Or maybe the victims have no connection and it's just a guy trying to make the world burn?

In terms of "traditional" terrorism, the goal is not to kill so much as it is to delegitimize the government by demonstrating just how little they can do to protect you. Two people dead and three injured? That may not seem like a lot of people, but the point is not that 2 people die but that the millions of survivors are aware of how the government couldn't prevent it...

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm UTC

sardia wrote:It depends on how scummy you think institutions are. If you are ok with this, does any level of white collar criminality matter? Like how is this any different than the Equifax Breach?

The difference is that the Trump campaign did the same thing as Facebook itself, namely send targeted ads based on the profiles. While the Equifax hackers (presumably) wanted the information for activities that Equifax would never do, and that users trusted that Equifax wouldn't do.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:@pogrmman

According to that article, the two new victims were "Anglo males". Not sure what the connection to the other victims is. Could be a second (or third!) bomber. Or maybe the victims have no connection and it's just a guy trying to make the world burn?

In terms of "traditional" terrorism, the goal is not to kill so much as it is to delegitimize the government by demonstrating just how little they can do to protect you. Two people dead and three injured? That may not seem like a lot of people, but the point is not that 2 people die but that the millions of survivors are aware of how the government couldn't prevent it...

I do think it’s probably some kind of terrorism. There aren’t links to the other victims. I doubt it’s multiple bombers though — the police say that the internals of all the bombs, preliminarily, appear the same. Either terrorism, or some kind of messed up person.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 am UTC

How can they tell what the internals are of an exploded device?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 am UTC

Because the pieces tend to remain in large chunks, rather than being rendered to dust.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hiddenhistory/4442147038/
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 am UTC

And; There is good old fashion Chemical Analysis.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “News & Articles”