In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby addams » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:28 am UTC

She's a keeper.[/quoteWe Know That!
but..but...but...he might be broken.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:23 pm UTC

I am impressed that a 105 pound woman can carry a man who is at least 50% heavier than herself. Where does she keep the muscles for that?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 pm UTC

The article said he could barely stand and leaned against her as they hiked, so she didn't have to carry all of his weight.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:38 pm UTC

Yes, but their wedding photo shown in the article shows her carrying him in a reversed bridal carry, which implies that she is in fact capable of carrying him at least briefly.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:15 pm UTC

Ah, I didn't see that photo with javascript disabled. I'm not sure how much bigger he is than her; lifting 150% of your body weight like that would likely take some weight training, but if he's closer to 130 then that might be doable with a regular workout routine.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 pm UTC

It's not as if she had to lift him as a dead weight, all the way up from the ground. The groom probably stood on one leg until she was ready for him to throw the other one up to join it for a few seconds, for the photo.

bbluewi

Postby bbluewi » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:39 pm UTC

Of course, given the adrenaline present from the situation, she probably could've towed a small car down the mountain, let alone carry her husband.

(That's only partially hyperbolic.)

solune

Postby solune » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 am UTC

Link wrote:Woman rescues husband from volcano during honeymoon.

Any reasonable interpretation of that quote would assume that the volcano was in eruption, or at least substantially active. After reading the sub-header line, it appears that it was just a mountain, albeit of a volcanic origin.
The article itself is partially responsible for the fake news, by inserting a click-bait link "How many people do volcanoes kill?" in the middle, and another click-bait volcano-related video at the end.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:09 pm UTC

solune wrote:
Link wrote:Woman rescues husband from volcano during honeymoon.

Any reasonable interpretation of that quote would assume that the volcano was in eruption, or at least substantially active. After reading the sub-header line, it appears that it was just a mountain, albeit of a volcanic origin.
The article itself is partially responsible for the fake news, by inserting a click-bait link "How many people do volcanoes kill?" in the middle, and another click-bait volcano-related video at the end.

So I take it you'd vote for, "I slipped on a fruit rind," because, "banana peel," is clickbait?
In all fairness...

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:57 am UTC

And here I was expecting somebody to walk out of the bedroom in nothing but a banana peel. Yeah, clickbait.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

havip

Postby havip » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 am UTC

Maybe it plans to build a human suit that it can use to infiltrate our society?

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:20 pm UTC

Speaking of clickbait, this headline just wouldn't have the same appeal without the word "cannibal" in it:

Giant cannibal parrot once strode the Earth, scientists discover

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm UTC

Well technically, all birds are dinosaurs. Is it really any surprise that giant flesh-eating birds were a thing?

If you want to know more about giant flesh-eating birds, I suggest you look up "terrorbirds" sometime, a prehistoric bird native to the Americas that was thankfully wiped out by early humans. Really, we should be so lucky that humans are the scariest beasts of all, in spite of being soft piles of flesh with no natural armor or weaponry.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Speaking of clickbait, this headline just wouldn't have the same appeal without the word "cannibal" in it:

Giant cannibal parrot once strode the Earth, scientists discover
It reminds me of the other New Zealand Parrot, the Kea.
The Kea is the world's only alpine parrot. Its omnivorous diet includes carrion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

Has anyone else heard of Moscow Mitch?
Do you think his 'nickname' is funny?
Sales from “Moscow Mitch” merchandise exceeded $200,000 in a 48-hour period,
the Kentucky Democratic Party claimed in a Friday press release.

It seems Mitch is seriously Proud of remaking the Highest Court in his own image.
When people feel helpless they often fall back on humor.

The pejorative nickname emerged from Joe Scarborough.
(so weird...Joe Scarborough is a conservative.)

It is a serious issue.
People laugh, anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0HKRzVikk

Edit: (Hee-Hee-Hee...)
Americans can be funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvw4Wo_QZM

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am UTC

Fart pushes Speaker to suspend debate

A heated debate about market stalls was disrupted by a foul smell and furious finger-pointing at a Kenyan regional assembly on Wednesday, local reports say.

"Honourable Speaker, one of us has polluted the air and I know who it is," Julius Gaya reportedly told Homa Bay county assembly.

But the member he accused of farting is said to have replied: "I am not the one. I cannot do such a thing in front of my colleagues."

Hoping to clear the air, the assembly's Speaker Edwin Kakach then instructed members to step outside and take a break from the chamber.

Reports also say he asked officials to bring in air fresheners "to make it pleasant. Get whatever flavour you will find in any office, whether it's vanilla or strawberry. We cannot continue sitting in an environment that smells bad."

Yet the smell is said to have subsided before any such sprays were found, allowing the debate to continue.

Potential use for filibustering..?

link

Link

Postby Link » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm UTC

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 am UTC

I realize that I am super late to comment on this, but I think I know exactly why Ted Cruz said this. Cruz is a libertarian, which means that he believes that spending tax dollars on anything except defense is literal slavery. On the other hand, he want the USA to have a space program for one reason or another. No matter what this reason is, he cannot publicly say it without revealing that he is a hypocrite. His ideology has forced his hand; this ridiculous joke only possible justification he can give.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm UTC

The very notion of space piracy (i.e. theft or hostage-taking for ransom, as opposed to space warfare carried out by enemy governments, or space terrorists who mainly destroy instead of stealing) depends on spaceflight being much cheaper—especially spaceplane-like vehicles that can bring large payloads down from orbit. For the near future, the cost to steal a satellite is more than the salvage or black market value of the satellite—the only worthwhile customers would be rival governments who want the stuff for intel purposes.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah that always bothered me about Firefly, given that the main cast owned a spaceship yet were considered to be poor in a verse with people barely above subsistence level. I mean in one episode they build a fake ambulance from garbage and then apparently they throw it away. If anything, they couldve made a fortune refurbishing stuff in junkyards and smuggling heavy machinery to the outer rim, surely all those people would pay for generators and such thatd help develop their planet's. Instead, they'd rather spend their days smuggling bobblehead dolls, because people love those things.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah that always bothered me about Firefly, given that the main cast owned a spaceship yet were considered to be poor in a verse with people barely above subsistence level. I mean in one episode they build a fake ambulance from garbage and then apparently they throw it away. If anything, they couldve made a fortune refurbishing stuff in junkyards and smuggling heavy machinery to the outer rim, surely all those people would pay for generators and such thatd help develop their planet's. Instead, they'd rather spend their days smuggling bobblehead dolls, because people love those things.
So, finely; I now know the story line of Firefly.
I was never, ever going to watch it.
I am up to steam on Pop-Culture.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah that always bothered me about Firefly, given that the main cast owned a spaceship yet were considered to be poor in a verse with people barely above subsistence level. I mean in one episode they build a fake ambulance from garbage and then apparently they throw it away. If anything, they couldve made a fortune refurbishing stuff in junkyards and smuggling heavy machinery to the outer rim, surely all those people would pay for generators and such [...]

But, would you watch that show?
In all fairness...

solune

Postby solune » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 am UTC

Donald Trump has asked in a private meeting whether it was possible to buy Greenland

(no link because they don't deserve the clicks)

So, this is the first time I find myself outside of the liberal bubble. Everyone on the left is making fun of Trump for not knowing that you can't buy a country. But as far as I know, you can (or at least, a State can). The USA bought most of the midwest from Napoleon's France, and Alaska from the king of Russia.
Since Denmark is a kingdom and not a republic, the land of Greenland belongs to the queen, and may be sold as she wills.

Now, given the state of the relations between Europe and The Donald, there's no way in hell that that's gonna happen, but it's not as absurd as you'd think.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am UTC

Okay!
You win.

That's funny.
---Now.

What if he does it??
Then Greenland will be a State and Porto Rico will not be a State?
Well---That seems just unfair enough for this administration to do,
Spoiler:
(sigh...) The people are the Right color.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:55 pm UTC

If the USA acquires Greenland, then the federal government can claim that the ice sheet melting is either 1: a benefit to the USA because it gives new usable land, or 2: an injury to the USA caused by every other country in the world contributing to global warming, since the majority of emissions are produced outside of the USA.

idonno

Postby idonno » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:59 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:If the USA acquires Greenland, then the federal government can claim that the ice sheet melting is either 1: a benefit to the USA because it gives new usable land, or 2: an injury to the USA caused by every other country in the world contributing to global warming, since the majority of emissions are produced outside of the USA.

I'm pretty sure Trump is perfectly capable of maintaining both stances at the same time.

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah that always bothered me about Firefly, given that the main cast owned a spaceship yet were considered to be poor in a verse with people barely above subsistence level. I mean in one episode they build a fake ambulance from garbage and then apparently they throw it away. If anything, they couldve made a fortune refurbishing stuff in junkyards and smuggling heavy machinery to the outer rim, surely all those people would pay for generators and such thatd help develop their planet's. Instead, they'd rather spend their days smuggling bobblehead dolls, because people love those things.

I don't know how ambulances are disposed of currently but I could do something pretty similar with a school bus and yet it wouldn't worthwhile to transport it to another country for resale. Discarding of evidence after pulling off a major heist is pretty reasonable so there is pretty good reason for them to have just scraped the ambulance.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 am UTC

Ok, serious question. Why isn't more old, obsolete equipment being shipped to undeveloped parts of the world in order to jumpstart their development? I hope the answer isn't as simple/sad as mere security issues.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Ok, serious question. Why isn't more old, obsolete equipment being shipped to undeveloped parts of the world in order to jumpstart their development? I hope the answer isn't as simple/sad as mere security issues.

Are we talking real-world, or Firefly-'Verse? Either way, my money is on a cocktail of "shipping stuff costs money," "industry interests would prefer a few high-dollar sales of new equipment to lots of people paying little or nothing for used," and "blind cultural commitment to strip-down raw-materials recycling vs. repair/reuse."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 am UTC

Lots of old equipment does get shipped? It's a massive business. Especially mobile equipment, like cars and trucks, or excavators, harvesters. But the reasons why it got replaced in the original country are still there in another country. Higher maintenance, reduced reliability, difficult to get replacement parts, newer equipment has better functionality.

There are plenty of places where the mechanics are good at getting a few more years from aging equipment, but they can't work magic. They will only take the gear that has some potential left in it.

That goes double for fixed equipment. If you go through the effort of installing it, you want to expect quite some years of reasonable service left in it. If that's not going to happen, everyone is happier if it goes into the arc furnace.

Edit: to give an impression, take a look here: https://www.foeth.com/en/about-foeth

It's a dealer in old process equipment, here in the Netherlands, which ships mostly to Europe, Africa, the Americas. Look at the gear: it's many decades old, but in good shape and mostly from higher-end manufacturers. Typically sold due to scale increases or plant closings, not because the equipment itself is reaching its technical end of life.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 am UTC

Some used cars are actually shipped from Europe to Africa, but they are shipped by their end user, or by some company that plans to make a profit selling them there.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 am UTC

I'd imagine the maintenance costs or repair costs are a cost of labor issue. An old phone that needs to have the battery and processor replaced is easier to just chuck and buy a new one, but someone in Africa with some parts from other junked phones could repair the thing and have a mobile phone. Same with cars, especially in post-Soviet Russia where mechanics did crazy things with car parts in order to get by with no capital to purchase new cars. Even if you don't need a car, a car engine itself is an incredibly valuable piece of tech if you have the ability to jerry-rig machinery in some sort of scavenger-world/post-apocalyptic scenario. Remember that kid from "the boy who harnessed the wind", who built waterpumps and wind turbines out of trashed bike parts?

Same with all the planets in Firefly. I mean, sure, they won't be as nice as the Core Worlds so long as they keep paying reparations (I assume that that would've been a plot point in later seasons, given, y'know, the post-bellum inspirations and all), but with someone like Kaylee and a bunch of scrap, the outer worlds might've been able to scrape together various hydroponics or that mud-planet might've replaced a lot of the slave labor with heavy machinery.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:52 am UTC

I'd imagine the maintenance costs or repair costs are a cost of labor issue. An old phone that needs to have the battery and processor replaced is easier to just chuck and buy a new one, but someone in Africa with some parts from other junked phones could repair the thing and have a mobile phone. Same with cars, especially in post-Soviet Russia where mechanics did crazy things with car parts in order to get by with no capital to purchase new cars.

Very much for cars, yes. There are countries where used cars are 90% of all car imports. Doesn't mean those cars were at their end of life in the country of origin! If anything, countries try to restrict the import of very old cars, because that is often waste dumping in disguise.

I am not sure about phones. There is definitely a market for used phones that are exported to poorer countries, but there is also a large market in new low-cost phones. More than for cars. Afaik, most people in Africa buy their phone new.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:14 pm UTC

Just a question:
What is a person to Do with usable but unused Cell Phones?
I have managed to have two of them. What to Do? What to Do?

Each phone has a story.
Neither is broken at all.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm UTC

I guess you can try to sell them on eBay?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

addams

Postby addams » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I guess you can try to sell them on eBay?
Nah...Way too much trouble.
I don't use eBay.

I'm thinking a local charity.
There are so many restrictions on what phone can be used with what service company.
That's how I ended up with too many phones. Friends trying to help. (sigh...)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:56 pm UTC

addams wrote:Just a question:
What is a person to Do with usable but unused Cell Phones?
I have managed to have two of them. What to Do? What to Do?

Each phone has a story.
Neither is broken at all.

There are a bunch of websites that will offer you at least something for older phones; basically just Google "sell phone online" and you'll get a list. If you prefer face to face transactions, there are almost certainly local places that will buy them from you. The amount they'll give can vary wildly so it's not a bad idea to inquire at several.

Or, if you're feeling charitable, there are sites like the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence https://ncadv.org/donate-a-phone or Medic Mobile https://medicmobile.org/phone-donations that will either reuse them or sell them and use the proceeds for their operations.

Local libraries and homeless shelters might also take them.

Just be sure to completely wipe the phone and remove the SIM first.

idonno

Postby idonno » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:If anything, countries try to restrict the import of very old cars, because that is often waste dumping in disguise.

Is that really an issue? I would have thought the scrap value of cars would prevent something like that from being a problem.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 pm UTC

idonno wrote:
Zamfir wrote:If anything, countries try to restrict the import of very old cars, because that is often waste dumping in disguise.

Is that really an issue? I would have thought the scrap value of cars would prevent something like that from being a problem.

Not all of the car has value as scrap (such as worn and torn upholstery), and there's costs related to converting "old car" to "scrap materials", like removing and disposing of oil, battery acid, antifreeze, etc.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:49 am UTC

That would impact the part value but I don't think fabric is typically worth salvaging when scrapping a car. The big scrap value of a car is all the metal and that isn't going to change very much without the car becoming something that can no longer accurately be described as a car.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:58 am UTC

idonno wrote:
ijuin wrote:If the USA acquires Greenland, then the federal government can claim that the ice sheet melting is either 1: a benefit to the USA because it gives new usable land, or 2: an injury to the USA caused by every other country in the world contributing to global warming, since the majority of emissions are produced outside of the USA.

I'm pretty sure Trump is perfectly capable of maintaining both stances at the same time.

I'm pretty sure we can maintain our official stance that Greenland is gaining ice, not losing ice.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm UTC

idonno wrote:That would impact the part value but I don't think fabric is typically worth salvaging when scrapping a car. The big scrap value of a car is all the metal and that isn't going to change very much without the car becoming something that can no longer accurately be described as a car.

The problem with "waste dumping in disguise" isn't the scrap metal itself, it's the everything else that doesn't have scrap value. There's costs associated with disposal of all those parts that aren't worth the scrap value, like destroyed upholstery, old motor oil and led-acid batteries. Proper disposal of those materials requires proper infrastructure to handle them, or the willingness to take the ecological hit of dumping them in the local waterways (which is something fewer and fewer developing nations are willing to do).

If the car is relatively new and functional then it could be worth the effort of keeping it running, but for -really- old cars (as posited in Zamfir's post) and/or cars that are so badly damaged as to be irreparable by even the most ingenious of miracle-workers, then the exports of those junkers is effectively one country dumping it's garbage on another -and the exporting country getting paid for it- (since the importing country is 'buying cars').
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Return to “News & Articles”