Ticketed for going 2 MPH under limit in fast lane

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Aikanaro

Re: Ticketed for going 2 MPH under limit in fast lane

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Yeah, but on the other hand, if you notice a long line of cars behind you packed tightly, and you have a shit-ton of open space in front of you, you should probably take that as a clue that you should either speed up or change lanes....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:An exit in the left lane???

There are a couple of those in and around Pittsburgh. It's...confusing.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Derek wrote:

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

The woman should never have been ticketed. She was driving at the speed limit (to within the accuracy of your average speedometer) and couldn't have driven any faster without breaking the law. If there was someone behind her who wanted to overtake then they could have changed lanes and done so. If the police had just waited they could have nabbed all the cars as they speeded up after overtaking her and broke the law.

What a load of old drivel.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:If there was someone behind her who wanted to overtake then they could have changed lanes and done so. If the police had just waited they could have nabbed all the cars as they speeded up after overtaking her and broke the law.
Impeding traffic is bad. And passing in the non-passing lane is also against convention regardless of speed (may also be illegal depending on jurisdiction, possibly correlated with the illegal to drive in passing lane areas). Though a lot of people do it anyway because of assholes that drive in the passing lane so...

Also, isn't the point of traffic laws (ok, well, supposed to be) to improve traffic flow and safety? If one car is making everyone else go around them in an unusual fashion that's a bad thing.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:The woman should never have been ticketed. She was driving at the speed limit (to within the accuracy of your average speedometer) and couldn't have driven any faster without breaking the law.

Not if my 65mph is faster than her 65mph.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Red Hal wrote:If there was someone behind her who wanted to overtake then they could have changed lanes and done so. If the police had just waited they could have nabbed all the cars as they speeded up after overtaking her and broke the law.
Impeding traffic is bad. And passing in the non-passing lane is also against convention regardless of speed (may also be illegal depending on jurisdiction, possibly correlated with the illegal to drive in passing lane areas). Though a lot of people do it anyway because of assholes that drive in the passing lane so...

Also, isn't the point of traffic laws (ok, well, supposed to be) to improve traffic flow and safety? If one car is making everyone else go around them in an unusual fashion that's a bad thing.

What the heck? Are you defending ticketing her? I can't even comprehend what you're trying to say.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Oh, I'd like it if that was illegal everywhere. Though in this particular case I'd just quietly hate her.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

I don't understand why they don't just put different speed limits on different lanes.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I don't understand why they don't just put different speed limits on different lanes.

That would make good sense.

The already have the ability to put up minimum speed limits. Put them up if you want them. And leave more room between the minimum and the maximum than two miles per hour.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:If there was someone behind her who wanted to overtake then they could have changed lanes and done so.

Not sure that I agree with giving her a ticket either, BUT: Whether by law or by common courtesy, if you are in the left lane, and someone comes up behind you, clearly wanting to drive faster than you, you are the one who moves to the right to let them by. Slower traffic keeps to the right. "Slower" being a relative term. That is, are you driving slower than someone else? Then get over to the right.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

What did they ticket her for? Reckless driving?
-Adam

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:What the heck? Are you defending ticketing her? I can't even comprehend what you're trying to say.
I re-read this article (actually, the linked article in the article). It says the citation was for failing to keep right. This was not a speeding ticket (though the citation did mention her speed). If that's not a citationable in MD offense then she should fight this and win...

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

This would be nice if police officers in your country actually maintained common decency in terms what they ticket people for.

You've already got cops giving people ridiculous speeding tickets in the fast lane when their speed is safe (even if above limit). Now people are actually cheering to give cops an excuse to give people tickets for doing the limit.

America's legal system has a few decades' worth of evolving to do before this kind of ticket actually becomes reasonable.
I sell LSAT courses and LSAT course accessories. Admittedly, we're still working on the accessories.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

yoni45 wrote:This would be nice if police officers in your country actually maintained common decency in terms what they ticket people for.

You've already got cops giving people ridiculous speeding tickets in the fast lane when their speed is safe (even if above limit). Now people are actually cheering to give cops an excuse to give people tickets for doing the limit.

America's legal system has a few decades' worth of evolving to do before this kind of ticket actually becomes reasonable.

Xeio wrote:
Роберт wrote:What the heck? Are you defending ticketing her? I can't even comprehend what you're trying to say.
I re-read this article (actually, the linked article in the article). It says the citation was for failing to keep right. This was not a speeding ticket (though the citation did mention her speed). If that's not a citationable in MD offense then she should fight this and win...

see the bit above you. many states have "keep right" laws that state that you can't drive in the left hand lane. you can only use that lane to pass. so, if you're driving around in the left hand lane, they're giving you a ticket for breaking a law completely different than the speed limit law.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

engr

Postby engr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Derek wrote:

Spoiler:

In Pittsburgh it's a bit more complicated...

Spoiler:
Last edited by engr on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

So, in the police's conception, "speed limit" means the bottom limit, and not the upper limit? I guess the Interstate must be a fun place.

What is the punishment for stopping on the road? Death sentence?

Edit: now, I have seen what she was cited for. So, what does Maryland law says about being on the left lane?

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
yoni45 wrote:This would be nice if police officers in your country actually maintained common decency in terms what they ticket people for.

Xeio wrote:

see the bit above you. many states have "keep right" laws that state that you can't drive in the left hand lane. you can only use that lane to pass. so, if you're driving around in the left hand lane, they're giving you a ticket for breaking a law completely different than the speed limit law.

Perhaps, but I doubt they ticketed every vehicle they came across in the left lane that wasn't passing.
I sell LSAT courses and LSAT course accessories. Admittedly, we're still working on the accessories.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:The woman should never have been ticketed. She was driving at the speed limit (to within the accuracy of your average speedometer) and couldn't have driven any faster without breaking the law. If there was someone behind her who wanted to overtake then they could have changed lanes and done so. If the police had just waited they could have nabbed all the cars as they speeded up after overtaking her and broke the law.

What a load of old drivel.

The laws themselves are the problem. The speed limit should vary between lanes; the right lane should be 65mph, strictly enforced (because of traffic merging on and off the freeway). The next lane should be 70mph, strictly enforced as well. The next lane should be 75mph and enforced, but with the provision that you must be passing the people to your right. The next lane should be 80mph with the same provisions. You don't have to drive 80 in the far left lane on a 4 lane freeway, but you must be going faster than the person to your right by a reasonable amount (e.g. if you are doing 76 and they are doing 75, get the fuck over, but if you are doing 76 and they are doing 72mph, then fine, just get over when you are done passing).

If weather is bad, you can do well under the speed limit in the left two lanes, but you must be passing the people to your right.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

engr wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Derek wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Holy shit those signs are confusing. Not just in making it unclear which side the exit is, it's also not very clear which exit you need unless you know the area well ('south street' is not exactly informative). And why are some of the distances in 1/10th of miles and others in 1/4th of miles?

And that second picture has 5 arrows on a 4-lane road. Huh? Also, what does 'exit only' mean? Aren't all highways one-directional? Or do they really have Rotary Supercolliders in the US?

Perhaps this is a case of liking what you're familiar with, but I think our signs are a lot clearer:
Spoiler:

It's immediately obvious which lane goes where, it's also clear what destinations there are, and the road-numbers are very clear. You can even see the distance to the exit.

The arrows going up instead of down was introduced a few years ago, by the way. Before that they also went down over here. But research show that arrows going up are easier to process, and this actually speed up traffic flow by quite a lot.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Also, what does 'exit only' mean?

It means that from that lane you can only exit (i.e. leave the freeway), and cannot continue on the road on which you are currently driving.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

I didn't realize how hard it was to find the actual laws. Anyway, here are the relevant sections (spoilered for length, bold is mine).

As far as I can tell, you only have to keep right on a highway if you are 10mph below the speed limit (assuming driving on a divided highway such as I-95).

I also found this page which is a pretty good, quick read. They are also apparently planning on raising the maximum speed limit to 70 effective October 2013.

Spoiler:
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 21. VEHICLE LAWS -- RULES OF THE ROAD
SUBTITLE 3. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY; OVERTAKING AND PASSING; USE OF ROADWAY

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-301 (2012)

§ 21-301. Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions

(a) General rule. -- On every roadway that is wide enough, a vehicle shall be driven on the right half of the roadway, except:

(1) While overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction, under the rules governing this movement;

(2) Where there is an obstruction that makes it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, but the driver of any vehicle doing so shall yield the right-of-way to any other vehicle that is traveling in the proper direction on the unobstructed part of the highway and is so near as to be an immediate danger;

(3) On a roadway that is divided into three or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic, subject to the rules applicable to these roadways;

(4) On a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic; or

(5) On a roadway that is marked or signposted in a manner indicating that a contrary rule exists.

(b) Special rule for slow-moving traffic. -- On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(c) Roadway with four or more lanes and two-way movement of traffic. --

(1) On any roadway that is divided into four or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic and that provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle may not be driven on the left of the centerline of the roadway, except:

(i) Where authorized by a traffic control device designating a lane to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use this lane; or

(ii) As permitted under subsection (a) (2) of this section.

(2) This subsection does not prohibit the crossing of the centerline of a roadway while making a left turn into or from an alley or a private road or driveway.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 66 1/2, § 11-301; 1977, ch. 14, § 2.

Spoiler:
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 21. VEHICLE LAWS -- RULES OF THE ROAD
SUBTITLE 8. SPEED RESTRICTIONS

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-801.1 (2012)

§ 21-801.1. Maximum limits

(a) General rule. -- Unless there is a special danger that requires a lower speed to comply with § 21-801 of this subtitle, the limits specified in this section or otherwise established under this subtitle are maximum lawful speeds. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed that exceeds these limits.

(b) Specified limits. -- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the maximum speed limits are:

(1) 15 miles an hour in alleys in Baltimore County;

(2) 30 miles an hour on:

(i) All highways in a business district; and

(ii) Undivided highways in a residential district;

(3) 35 miles an hour on divided highways in a residential district;

(4) 50 miles an hour on undivided highways in other locations; and

(5) 55 miles an hour on divided highways in other locations.

(c) Continuation of certain prior limits. -- Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a posted maximum speed limit lawfully in effect on December 31, 1974, is a maximum lawful speed even if it differs from a limit specified in subsection (b) of this section.

(d) Alteration of limits. -- Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a maximum speed limit specified in subsection (b) of this section or in effect under subsection (c) of this section may be altered as provided in this subtitle.

(e) Limits may not exceed 55 or 65 miles an hour. --

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subtitle, a maximum speed limit of more than 55 miles an hour may not be established or continued on any highway in this State that:

(i) Is not an interstate highway or an expressway; or

(ii) Would subject the State to federal funding sanctions under 23 United States Code § 154.

(2) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection, a maximum speed limit of more that 65 miles an hour may not be established on any highway in the State.

(f) St. Mary's County. --

(1) Unless otherwise posted on a public road in a residential subdivision, in residential subdivisions in St. Mary's County, a posted speed limit on a main access road applies to all public roads in the residential subdivision, even if the posted speed limit on the main access road is less than 30 miles per hour.

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection do not apply when a through road traverses a residential subdivision. The maximum speed limit applicable to the subdivision shall be posted on each road exiting off the through road and into the subdivision, along with the posting on the main access road.

(3) A maximum speed limit established under this subsection in a residential subdivision shall be based on the subdivision's road design, motor vehicle traffic, and pedestrian safety.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 66 1/2, § 11-801; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1987, ch. 74; 1995, ch. 493; 2006, ch. 589.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Perhaps this is a case of liking what you're familiar with, but I think our signs are a lot clearer:
Spoiler:

It's immediately obvious which lane goes where, it's also clear what destinations there are, and the road-numbers are very clear. You can even see the distance to the exit.

The arrows going up instead of down was introduced a few years ago, by the way. Before that they also went down over here. But research show that arrows going up are easier to process, and this actually speed up traffic flow by quite a lot.
That's something like signs we have out on highways (image taken from Google maps since I remembered where to look for it) for a 3-lane splitting into two two-lanes.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
A roadsign.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:And that second picture has 5 arrows on a 4-lane road. Huh? Also, what does 'exit only' mean? Aren't all highways one-directional? Or do they really have Rotary Supercolliders in the US?

The arrows on the signs are basically "If you want to go to the location on the sign, you have to be in this lane. (one of the ones being pointed at by the arrows, i.e. it's literally pointing down at the ground, at the lane(s) to be in)"

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Oddly enough, while I think she was wrong, the law doesn't seem to prohibit what she did.

In my opinion, you should keep right (or left in the UK) except to pass slower-moving traffic.

Deliberately blocking speeding drivers from passing you is not only silly and dangerous, it also could well be morally wrong, for various reasons:
They could be an unmarked police car- certainly in the UK, the police are allowed to break speed limits even without blue lights & sirens.
They could be rushing someone to hospital.
More likely, your speedometer could be underreading (in some places, they're required to)- so if you drive at an indicated speed equal to the legal limit, drivers who drive at the legal limit as shown on a GPS will be passing you.

Of course, if you are passing a slower car and a faster-moving one comes up behind you, all you have to do is complete the overtake and move over. You aren't (and shouldn't be) required to speed up. But if you choose to overtake, please do so with a reasonable speed differential. It is far better to briefly exceed the speed limit than to spend ages inching past someone at the 0.1 mph relative speed the limit allows...

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:

In MD, you can pretty much drive in whichever lane. Staying in the left lane isn't a big deal here, so long as you're moving. It's certainly something I do all the time, and have never been ticketed for. However, it is customary not to putter under the speed limit in the left lane, especially on certain roads. 95 in particular is notorious. Folks in the left-most lane are likely going 15-20 miles over the limit, and this is just accepted as normal. In fact, going under the speed limit in such a lane IS dangerous, and could bog down traffic, especially if multiple people are doing this. Rolling roadblock style stunts are a bad idea, even if technically legal.

What most likely happened is this lady violated social conventions of driving, even if she didn't violate any laws, and an impatient policeman got annoyed at her holding up traffic. I agree that the laws should better reflect the actual conventions and conditions of driving on the road, but police here tend not to be overly worried by little technicalities like laws if you're sufficiently annoying.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

From the description of the laws I've seen, she could be doing 56mph in that lane (and less if passing cars due to her "high winds"). She will have to explain to a judge why she was driving in such an unsafe manner (she didn't exercise her right to be silent and gave the cop information that she was intentionally driving slower. Not a good idea if you can shut up without committing "contempt of cop").

NOTE: If you are driving through this section of road without MD tags, you can expect a ticket. I managed to get one for 70.2 (back when it was 55 zone) and the officer was proud of himself for giving me the expensive ticket (but surprised by my MD license and CT plates, I was a field engineer at the time in a rental car). Only time I've ever been pulled over for speeding.

Additional note: I-270 (westbound from DC) is even worse. 55 speed limits in the 8 lane wide road (each way) for about 20 miles until the hilly 2 lane (each way) gets to 65. As you might expect, traffic is somewhere between 70-80, and faster in the 55 zone. In addition, the 65mph areas tend to have 15mph ramps, and they get rather frequent once it turns into US15, I tend to move to the left lane all the way through Frederick regardless if I am passing cars or not.

Thrasymachus

Postby Thrasymachus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Actually, by making the traffic behind her slow down in order to move around her, she's improving traffic conditions for everyone who remains behind her for some time, especially if she's traveling through an area prone to traffic jams. Everybody going faster just makes it more likely that some hiccup in traffic results in a big traffic jam that brings everybody to a near-halt for some time for no apparent reason. Whenever you find yourself in stop-and-go traffic on a highway that has no apparent cause, i.e., no wrecks or obstructions, it's because traffic is (or rather, was)moving too fast given the amount of traffic and the freedom of movement available on those roads. In Orlando, the interstate that passes through has speed limits that vary depending on the time of day, they're slower during rush hour, and higher during non-peak hours, precisely because if they let everybody try to go 65 during rush hour, they'll end up with completely stopped traffic through most of rush-hour.

For any highway that has a left-hand lane and a right-hand lane, and lots of on-ramps and off-ramps on the right hand side, I consider the left-hand lane to be the cruising lane, and the right hand lane to be the acceleration/deceleration lane for traffic entering and leaving the highways. I do this because usually the designated acceleration/deceleration lanes are wholly inadequate to the task without red-lining your engine or stomping the brakes, and many people are apparently uncomfortable actually accelerating or decelerating to the appropriate speed in those fairly narrow lanes even when they are adequate. Multiple lane-changes and or speed-changes to accommodate entering and exiting traffic are more dangerous than annoying some jerk who wants to go 15 mph faster than the limit. No one should feel entitled to pass someone traveling at or very close to the speed limit. If you are traveling faster than someone else who's going the speed limit, then you're breaking the law and should slow down, not bitch that you can't pass them because they're in the "passing lane." Emergency vehicles have their own protocols. If they're traveling to an actual emergency, they should have their lights and sirens going, and traffic should be pulling off to the shoulder to make way for them. Otherwise, they should be traveling the speed limit, the same as everyone else.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

engr wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Derek wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

To make this even better, this is immediately after coming out of a tunnel in which you are not allowed to change lanes. If you're not in the right lane going into the tunnel, you're pretty much fucked. (There are signs before the tunnel telling you which lane you should be in, but if you're not familiar with the area you can still easily make a mistake). Oh yeah, and it's going straight into the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, so traffic is often pretty heavy too.

Here is the satellite view of that area.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:From the description of the laws I've seen, she could be doing 56mph in that lane (and less if passing cars due to her "high winds"). She will have to explain to a judge why she was driving in such an unsafe manner (she didn't exercise her right to be silent and gave the cop information that she was intentionally driving slower. Not a good idea if you can shut up without committing "contempt of cop").

Yeah, that was unwise. Be polite, respectful, and don't volunteer anything. Giving them info to justify writing you a ticket is to be avoided.

NOTE: If you are driving through this section of road without MD tags, you can expect a ticket. I managed to get one for 70.2 (back when it was 55 zone) and the officer was proud of himself for giving me the expensive ticket (but surprised by my MD license and CT plates, I was a field engineer at the time in a rental car). Only time I've ever been pulled over for speeding.

Yeah, they target out of staters pretty hardcore. Those folks are generally much less likely to challenge tickets, and certainly don't vote for sheriff or the like. It's not just a MD thing, but it's especially noticeable here.

Additional note: I-270 (westbound from DC) is even worse. 55 speed limits in the 8 lane wide road (each way) for about 20 miles until the hilly 2 lane (each way) gets to 65. As you might expect, traffic is somewhere between 70-80, and faster in the 55 zone. In addition, the 65mph areas tend to have 15mph ramps, and they get rather frequent once it turns into US15, I tend to move to the left lane all the way through Frederick regardless if I am passing cars or not.

As you get into virginia you'll want to watch out. Driving sufficiently fast can qualify you for reckless driving, and they have *very* substantial fines for that. IIRC, it was somewhere over $2,500 or something. Ridiculous.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Thanks for posting this! I had seen it several years ago but could never find it again.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

The laws linked there are likely not the applicable ones. It isn't just that you're allowed to be 10 under the limit in the left lane. The appropriate law is likely something about failure to yield or impeding traffic flow.

Also

The left lane is not for driving the speed limit. Yes, going over the limit is breaking the law. No, you driving at exactly the speed limit in the left lane doesn't make you righteous or awesome or some other damned thing. You're just getting in the way of other drivers. Traffic laws are there primarily to prevent accidents - this includes the speed limit. Speed differential is a big factor in accidents - which is another reason different limits for different lanes isn't practical.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

yoni45 wrote:
DSenette wrote:

Xeio wrote:

Perhaps, but I doubt they ticketed every vehicle they came across in the left lane that wasn't passing.

cops don't ticket every jay walker or double parked car either....doesn't mean that they're in the wrong when they do ticket someone for breaking a traffic law
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Yea Pittsburgh! I grew up there. The roads in and around the city were laid out by giving a room full of drunken monkeys a few balls of string. After an hour they look at how the string was strewn around the room and made roads based on that.

Also...in Pittsburgh when your GPS is telling you to turn left and that's into a river..it really means turn left 50 feet above you on that road over you that you have to drive 3 miles right to get onto.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Return to “News & Articles”