Baroness Thatcher dead

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Re: Baroness Thatcher dead

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:I really like this text, HungryHobo. But I'm really put off by the source... Harry Potter fan-fiction?? :?
Even if it's "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" and contains stuff like this (thanks for removing the surrounding Harry/Hermione discussion, btw), I'm really torn as to whether I can even give it a try...
I think the quotes above are pretty good evidence that just because it's fan-fiction doesn't mean it has nothing to offer. Don't give in to the genetic fallacy.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

I didn't say it was crap, I said I was put off, which is a fact.
I did go and read it in the source, and every mention of the names Harry or Hermione made me wince. There's a reason I didn't read any HP and didn't even see all the movies.
But I'm still considering it.
I'll check and see if there's enough density of good content for me to get over that. I have no idea how that will works out.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

The guy has non-HP-themed website, that's the lesswrong.com that hungry hobo mentioned.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:I didn't say it was crap, I said I was put off, which is a fact.
I did go and read it in the source, and every mention of the names Harry or Hermione made me wince. There's a reason I didn't read any HP and didn't even see all the movies.
But I'm still considering it.
I'll check and see if there's enough density of good content for me to get over that. I have no idea how that will works out.

basically he uses the hpmor stuff to pull in readers.

I find the people on the full site a bit... over obsessed with "rationality" for it's own sake ie what should be common sense mixed with some good and worth knowing non-intuitive psych science and math.

there's a lot of genuinely insightful stuff and hpmor made me cry with laughter a great deal.

If you can't stand fan fiction you could try his sort story "baby eating aliens".
spoiler: the whole point is that we're likely to find any humans many generations from now morally repugnant on many levels and they us and any aliens orders of magnitude more so simply because we'll probably have totally different utility functions.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/y5/the_babyeating_aliens_18/
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

Protestors at her funeral could be arrested for causing "harassment, alarm or distress". Given the very nature of protestors at her funeral procession will be upsetting I am not sure how such a policy will work and seems like a move to guarentee clashes between protestors an police a fitting memorial to Thatcher of much as any that will occur inside St. Pauls

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013 ... r-mourners

Return to “News & Articles”