Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

PhoenixEnigma

Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

There doesn't seem to be a lot of solid information yet, but it sounds like at least a dozen people injured and possibly several killed by a pair of explosions. Most people are speculating it's terrorism, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

http://live.boston.com/Event/2013_Bosto ... _live_blog

Hijacking the first post so everyone can see it: Google has launched a person finder, so if you need to know about someone or you know that someone (or yourself) is okay, this is a good port of call: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions

Also Pervocracy has some good links (blog itself can be NSFW): http://pervocracy.tumblr.com/post/48063 ... n-marathon

-Hawk
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

What the fucking fuck, world.

News articles I saw said no confirmed deaths, but many, many injuries.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

I was waiting for someone to make this thread. It would have taken too long to do on my phone. I know we have a lot of xkcd'ers living in the boston area. Was anyone hurt?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Fingers crossed this was just some kind of accident and not an act of terrorism. My heart goes out to those who were injured, there are some extremely bloody photographs circulating.

Reports are mixed; seems at least 12 people were injured.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Boston marathon twitter account says that it was "two bombs". Boston globe says at least "dozens of people wounded, some of them with dismemberment". Sorry I can't do any links right now.

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Just saw this in the pub. Bloody hell. No groups claiming responsibility yet?

Been looking at the pics. No smoke lie there usually is. God it's horrible.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Patriot's day, tax day, and the city of Boston, all highly symbolic. If it is terrorism it's probably domestic terrorism.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Brace wrote:Patriot's day, tax day, and the city of Boston, all highly symbolic. If it is terrorism it's probably domestic terrorism.

That's quite a leap of logic.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Boston Police have allegedly performed a controlled detonation of a third bomb, so it looks like this was definitely no accident. I agree that it was most likely domestic terrorism, but no reports of anyone claiming responsibility yet.

Edit: Here's a map of the two explosions

AP reports two additional bombs are being dismantled by police.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Okay, maybe not THAT big a leap. I still wouldn't assume anything one way or the other yet.

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Why bomb runners? I don't get it - even the WTC or London Tube are arguably economic targets. This is really affecting me in a way these kinds of stories usually dont.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

My guess is, if the bombs were set near the finish line for the marathon, the targets probably weren't the runners, but the crowds. The marathon is a long (duh) event, and it draws a crowd along the entirety of it, but the finish line is the most crowded place.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Ormurinn wrote:Why bomb runners? .... This is really affecting me in a way these kinds of stories usually dont.

While we obviously can't know for sure what motive they had yet, I suspect you answered your own question there.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

This is true terrorism. The big attacks are scary in a whole different way. Random, small, civilian targeted attacks instill fear in a more insidious and creeping way.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Two confirmed dead, and they're suspecting IEDs.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Looks like two more bombs were found and are being dismantled.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Brace wrote:Patriot's day, tax day, and the city of Boston, all highly symbolic. If it is terrorism it's probably domestic terrorism.

I already made it as well. It just seems domestic. It isn't really a symbol of things the usual foreign suspicious types hate...I'm guessing domestic for sure.

That said, I do hope nobody I know is injured or killed. I know one chap that's a diehard marathoner, hopefully I hear that he was not there/uninvolved soonly.

I assume the runners thing is simply because it's a big event. I can't actually think of a reason why anyone would hate running that much, yknow?

The IED thing seems pretty safe to assume. It'd be much bigger news if it wasn't. Not really a lot of market for commercial stuff like this.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Looks like two more bombs were found and are being dismantled.

Dismantled? Controlled detonation, I heard.

Doesn't Randall live in Massachusetts?

Tyndmyr wrote:
Decker wrote:

I already made it as well. It just seems domestic. It isn't really a symbol of things the usual foreign suspicious types hate...I'm guessing domestic for sure.

That said, I do hope nobody I know is injured or killed. I know one chap that's a diehard marathoner, hopefully I hear that he was not there/uninvolved soonly.

I assume the runners thing is simply because it's a big event. I can't actually think of a reason why anyone would hate running that much, yknow?

The IED thing seems pretty safe to assume. It'd be much bigger news if it wasn't. Not really a lot of market for commercial stuff like this.

My initial reaction when I knew nothing was: Boston is known for being rather liberal. Gay rights, women's rights, abortions are legal. Some right-wing extremist nutjob.

Now I know nothing still, and anything goes. Generic crowd's aren't usually the MO for right-wing terrorists, are they? They usually go for specific places like abortion clinics.
Last edited by Shepherdess on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

roband

Postby roband » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Reading that some witnesses have described injuries consistent with ball bearing bombs. Nasty nasty shit man.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
Ormurinn wrote:Why bomb runners? .... This is really affecting me in a way these kinds of stories usually dont.

While we obviously can't know for sure what motive they had yet, I suspect you answered your own question there.

It's a pretty unusual choice of target. Typically terrorists go for symbolic targets or ones that instill the idea that you aren't safe in your ordinary life, neither which particularly fits a marathon.

I don't envy the police investigating this. Their list of potential suspects must be over a thousand people and I've heard people as far as Kansas City were participating in the marathon, so there's no guarantee the perpetrators are even Massachusetts residents. On the other hand, four bombs (or more) suggests it wasn't a lone psycho either, who would be nearly impossible to track down.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

The Boston Marathon has runners from all over the world [edit: I said country earlier, I meant world], don't they? Flags of different countries littered the road for a bit. As a symbolic target, it has some attributes.

I want my president. I voted for him, I should hear him speak.
Last edited by Shepherdess on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

That's what I'm still wondering: who the heck did this and why? Domestic terrorism certainly seems possible, but I'm not going to wager money on it.

Some people killed and many more missing legs. This is horrible. Glad that some of the bombs failed.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

They just said the fire at the JFK Library was connected. They said it wasn't earlier, but now they say it is.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

I sincerely doubt the marathon itself was a symbolic target. Economic damages, increase fear. That sort of thing.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:They just said the fire at the JFK Library was connected. They said it wasn't earlier, but now they say it is.

JFK sounds like a symbolic target. He was assassinated, after all.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

looks like it wasn't just a fire. It was another bomb. Three alltogether.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

A couple sources are reporting that the BPD has a suspect in custody at a hospital who has shrapnel injuries and was allegedly seen carrying multiple backpacks, but there was no mention of it at the press conference they just held.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

If anyone has useful links, I'll add them to the first post. I've just added a people finder that Google has launched if anyone needs to find out if someone is okay.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:A couple sources are reporting that the BPD has a suspect in custody at a hospital who has shrapnel injuries and was allegedly seen carrying multiple backpacks, but there was no mention of it at the press conference they just held.

I'm not holding my breath. Multiple backpacks is not all that incriminating, especially in the context of a marathon or similar event. Shrapnel injuries indicates that if it was indeed a culprit, they screwed up.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:My initial reaction when I knew nothing was: Boston is known for being rather liberal. Gay rights, women's rights, abortions are legal. Some right-wing extremist nutjob.

Now I know nothing still, and anything goes. Generic crowd's aren't usually the MO for right-wing terrorists, are they? They usually go for specific places like abortion clinics.

The thought occured to me as well, but yeah, you're right. It's as close to a generic crowd as I can imagine...so, I'm gonna stick with domestic, but assume it's something crazier than the usual left/right split. Unabomber hated civilization and urbanization, and hence his targets were kind of random from our perspective. Perhaps it's something like that.

Brace

Postby Brace » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

A crazy fat rights activist >_<
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure most if not all Cambervillains are accounted for.
Randy does, I belive, live in the area again. I have never known him to run a marathon.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:I'm pretty sure most if not all Cambervillains are accounted for.
Randy does, I belive, live in the area again. I have never known him to run a marathon.

Not run, but he could have been a spectator.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:I'm pretty sure most if not all Cambervillains are accounted for.

That is very relieving to know. As soon as I heard I came to the forum first.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:

It's a pretty unusual choice of target. Typically terrorists go for symbolic targets or ones that instill the idea that you aren't safe in your ordinary life, neither which particularly fits a marathon.

Eh, that depends a lot, people can have very different perceptions of events-- particularly if they're the sort to build and deploy bombs. They may have thought it was symbolic, or may have known so many runners that it seemed an attack on "ordinary life". And even if neither of those are true, the very fact that it is causing more of a reaction in some (if not many or most) people than the standard "symbolic" or "everyday" targets is in and of itself an excellent reason to have targeted it. It's about shock value, it's about feeling startled and unsafe. If it is jarring, and if it is more jarring to some people than the "usual" choices of target, then I'd think that'd be their goal met, much better than any target that's so expected you can call it "typical". But theories without data, etc., etc.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Strangely enough, this isn't on the front page of reddit. Even in the world news section, it's pretty buried. http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Belial and I are fine, I am seriously shaken. I worked across the street from the second bomb that went off. A friend of mine is missing, and all cell service in Boston has been shut down, I assume because of police suspicions of triggering devices.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Belial and I are fine, I am seriously shaken. I worked across the street from the second bomb that went off. A friend of mine is missing, and all cell service in Boston has been shut down, I assume because of police suspicions of triggering devices.

I hope your friend is safe.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Wednesday, Belial*, Gmal*, me, Izawwlgood, Sprocket, saranade, H.E.L.e.N., Esoteric Wombat, Spi, Studyinserendipity, natraj*, hendusoone*, Will*, the EGE*, Heather* and meridian are accounted for.

*I see you bein all active on GChat.

I was able to contact a friend on Newbury Street and am getting messages from around the state. However my mom just tried to call and didn't reach me. Cell service *may* work spottily.

Mom and I haven't heard from my sister yet.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Just got in touch with Doogly and Elise, they're okay too.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Return to “News & Articles”