Page 6 of 19

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 am UTC
by Thesh
For those that are interested, there are images of a fragment of the bomb as well as the backpack it was placed in:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -backpack/

That looks like the lid, which seems to be mostly in tact, but just mangled. I wonder if the fact that the bomber used a pressure cooker ended up making it less deadly than if the bomber would have had several pipes taped together. It seems like a stronger casing would allow more of the powder to burn before it ruptured, resulting in a more powerful explosion.

I'm probably talking out of my ass, but the explosion just seemed to have a lot of fire, which is contrary to what I have seen in the past with videos of pipe bombs. I wonder if the bomber chose a powder tailored to magnum or rifle loads, which tend to be slower burning than those tailored to pistol loads (the reason more powerful loads use slower burning powder is because you can use more powder and take advantage of it in a longer barrel, where a lot of fast burning powder is just dangerous).

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 am UTC
by Princess Marzipan
Wednesday wrote:I have never been more proud to say that while I am not *from* Boston (though relatively nearby) I am definitely "of" Boston. Boston is totally in my blood. I've never felt prideful of having come from or lived in any place before, but holy shit am I proud to call myself a Bostonian.

One of friends posted a picture of people posing a bar.

Fuck yes. THAT is the kind of reaction we need to have to such atrocities. "Oh, you set us up the bomb? That's cool, I guess, but excuse me, it's time to have fun."

Not sure if you were talking about that kind of thing or more about the quick responses and medical treatment, but I saw the facebook photo just now and it really resonated with me.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 am UTC
by addams
saintdev wrote:Am I the only one that thought of "What if? #40 - Pressure Cooker" when I saw the headline about pressure cookers?

It wasn't us!
What if it was one or more of us?

Could not be! We are not that kind of weird.
Besides; If we went over to the dark side,
We would take Fluorine.

Damn. Please, let there be No Fluorine.
Crosses fingers. Closes eyes tight and prays.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 am UTC
by Fire Brns
Fantastic Idea wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:Your sentence structure is misleading. You should work on not presenting your opinions as facts so much.

I didn't think I had, they were simple observations.
And being educated is one thing but having hands on experience is another. With concern to the al-queda bomb manual, how many people have successfully cooked a obscure dish after looking up a recipe online? It takes a few tries to get it right.

I don't understand your statement. Do you think that foreign terrorists are the only people who make bombs? Did you see my earlier post containing links to domestic bombers? Once again, you are presenting your opinions as facts. Observations by you personally = anecdotal data. You don't know how well I can make an obscure dish I looked up on the internet (or, in my world, one of my cookbooks. This is a basic and traditional way of learning how to cook things, and lots of people get their recipes right the first time. It's amazing.)

Basically it's kindof driving me nuts that people are so unaware of the fact that Americans make bombs! Americans terrorize each other! Safety is not guaranteed and it's ignorant to think that Americans don't know how to build or use bombs. They need to be taught by the brown people, and not Uncle Jerry, in the barn?

Yes, there have been American bombers but just perusing an incomplete list like this one would find a lot more bombings occur in a handful of countries with great frequency and that tends to be over political strife and low standards of living, not skin color. I'm not saying only brown people are bomb makers as you would wish to imply, I'm simply stating that there aren't enough bombings in the US for there to be experienced (and motivated to terrorize) bomb makers, it doesn't help that if you buy the materials to build an M-80 a visit by the ATF and/or FBI is almost guaranteed.

Fire Brns wrote:Fair enough, crude is a relative term. Personally though from all the bombing accounts I have dug through in the past I don't generally consider a bomb that "successful" unless it kills around 15 people. Authorities are saying the devices were in trash cans, it's more likely they were close to the ground by being pushed down by trash or to remain hidden; trying to make a device specifically for maiming and not murder seems immensely more difficult.

Now this does interest me. You don't consider a bomb successful unless it kills around 15 people. Where did that number come from? Did you just arbitrarily decide on it? Is this a standard for some kind of record keeping for the AP or DHS or something? If not, then I'm glad we are establishing what you think words mean.

The point of terrorism isn't just to cause damage. It's to cause fear. That's why it's called that. If you've got two bombs that detonate, a great many of us, myself included, are going to stand very still and wait for the next bomb. Some of us just keep waiting with our systems on high alert.
How many people does the bomb have to terrify and keep indoors for you to consider it successful? How many businesses destroyed?

The number isn't arbitrary, perhaps it was a bit crude of me to state it that way with such a definitive number. Most newsworthy bombings have body counts in excess of 50 people and those happen in markets. The fact that these bombs went off in the middle of a crowd that normally wouldn't be that dense and still only killed 3 people is a good indicator that the bomb maker was pretty sucky. If you had read the undertone of my message it was "don't worry guys, this idiot couldn't even build a bomb correctly, take some comfort in that." It wasn't supposed to be a thesis paper, this isn't SB.

To address your questions on the "what makes it successful" question:
When bombs do relatively very little damage and only happen in rare cases people have less reason to be afraid, there needs to be a fear of additional deadly bombings. The one part of this event that was happening with this one was the fear of additional attacks, there was no definite suspect, no one taking responsibility, so to the public a indiscriminate mass murderer is still on the loose. That is the terror part of terrorism.

But when additional bombings don't happen and the culprits are caught people will go back to their everyday lives except for the immediate friends and family of the victims. A prime example: The Bath School Bombing was only in the headlines for three days until Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic and then it got pushed to page 7.

And I'd much rather not have this argument here anyway, it's a bit disrespectful to the spirit of the thread.
Edit: If you want to continue in PMs feel free.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:02 am UTC
by Steax
Fire Brns wrote:I'm simply stating that there aren't enough bombings in the US for there to be experienced (and motivated to terrorize) bomb makers, it doesn't help that if you buy the materials to build an M-80 a visit by the ATF and/or FBI is almost guaranteed.


Really? I have no idea how strict it is in the US, but for all I know your average person could just walk in a store and buy most materials required for moderately dangerous explosives. It's the know-how that matters. Does the FBI keep tabs on all companies that sell these things and proactively chase down people who buy materials for them? (It's not rhetorical, I really don't know how it is in the US.)

And what does motivation to terrorize have to do with the existence of other bombings, aside from copycats?

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:13 am UTC
by Thesh
You can buy smokeless powder at any store that sells reloading supplies. I've had 8 pound containers of powder mailed to me via UPS, and they just left it on my doorstep without requiring a signature.

Note, I bought 8lb containers because the fees for shipping hazardous materials is expensive, so buying in bulk saves in the long run (even though I only burn about 3.4oz of powder per trip to the range).

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 am UTC
by Fire Brns
There was a bit of exaggeration on my part. Post 9/11 sensationalism does have the government be more vigilant about things that go boom however. I wanted to get some pyrotechnic supplies for a special firework design but the order was rejected because it could be used to make legitimate explosives (or meth*) and it the website notified me that they were required by law to report the failure of sale to the ATF. I was lucky enough they didn't want shipping information until after that part.

*red phosphorus was one of the components. It's expensive.

And what does motivation to terrorize have to do with the existence of other bombings, aside from copycats?
Double checked, I worded that part you are referencing terribly. I just worked 14 hours, I apologize for not catching that.

There aren't enough motivated to terrorize bomb makers in the US which is shown by the low number of bombings in the US. We have a high enough standard of living that everyday competent people don't get swept up into violent radical groups that like to commit bombings. Our mass murderers tend to be solo or small groups of mentally unstable individuals.
This isn't a scientific observation either, there are many examples anyone could link which would go against this observation. McVeigh for example: he was competent, ideological, maybe a little unhinged but not the level of crazy one would expect.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 am UTC
by Metaphysician
Wednesday wrote:I have never been more proud to say that while I am not *from* Boston (though relatively nearby) I am definitely "of" Boston. Boston is totally in my blood. I've never felt prideful of having come from or lived in any place before, but holy shit am I proud to call myself a Bostonian.


And you absolutely should. The way your city handled itself on every level was admirable. From the runners that ran to the hospital to give blood, to the runners and unwounded spectators that ran to the wounded and stripped off their shirts to staunch wounds, to the competent and professional conduct of the first responders, the hospitals that were prepared for an event like this, and the average citizens in the neighborhood that opened their homes to people in need. In the bedlam, the fear, and the tragedy, the people of Boston have set an example for the entire world.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am UTC
by Technical Ben
Hope goes out to all those involved. Glad to hear the forum members are ok.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 am UTC
by Tyndmyr
Steax wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:I'm simply stating that there aren't enough bombings in the US for there to be experienced (and motivated to terrorize) bomb makers, it doesn't help that if you buy the materials to build an M-80 a visit by the ATF and/or FBI is almost guaranteed.


Really? I have no idea how strict it is in the US, but for all I know your average person could just walk in a store and buy most materials required for moderately dangerous explosives. It's the know-how that matters. Does the FBI keep tabs on all companies that sell these things and proactively chase down people who buy materials for them? (It's not rhetorical, I really don't know how it is in the US.)

And what does motivation to terrorize have to do with the existence of other bombings, aside from copycats?


It's effectively impossible to prevent all combinations of things that can be used to make a bomb, because frankly, it's not that hard. Still, overt explosives are going to be restricted. You're not gonna pick up a block of C4 at the local walmart, but anyone who's had a chemistry class can find stuff at walmart that will go boom. If you're buying a bazillion cart-loads of a really odd combination of things, someone *might* notice and notify someone, but even that's hard to do.

I don't know what it particular this bomb was made of, but odds are it was a fairly simple combo of easily accessible ingredients.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm UTC
by KnightExemplar
Internet Vigilantism has begun.

http://basedheisenberg.tumblr.com/post/ ... the-boston

Lets hope they're actually on to something, and not screwing with innocent people's lives.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
4chan? Screw with innocents for the lulz?

Impossibru!




But yeah I hope they found something. Rather not let the bomber get away...

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm UTC
by Wednesday
It'll be extremely interesting to see if they eventually catch whoever did this. I have my doubts, but there are certainly thousands of photos from that 300 meter stretch of road, and if they can catch glimpses in maybe 150 of those they may be able to use exif data to figure a timeline of when articles were placed nearby, then taken or left, and from whom the incendiary devices came from. I have doubts, but it'd be wonderful if they could figure it out...

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm UTC
by Mighty Jalapeno
My knee-jerk reaction to THAT, though, is if it works, that will be proof that "we need security cameras EVERYWHERE! ALL THE TIME!! FOR SAFETY!!!"

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm UTC
by broken_escalator
Or maybe they'll take it another way, and cell phone cameras will be more protected by laws! I won't hold my breath, though.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 pm UTC
by Wednesday
Yeah, I am going to fight tooth and nail against any increased "surveillance" or searches on the T (subway for y'all). I'm okay with the increase in security on the trains for...about the next week and a half, but past that it's more freedoms unnecessarily taken away. I *think* law enforcement will handle things rationally here, I'm impressed with their reactions so far. I absolutely cannot stand cops, but here they're....actually pretty tolerable.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:15 pm UTC
by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Fire Brns wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:Your sentence structure is misleading. You should work on not presenting your opinions as facts so much.

I didn't think I had, they were simple observations.
And being educated is one thing but having hands on experience is another. With concern to the al-queda bomb manual, how many people have successfully cooked a obscure dish after looking up a recipe online? It takes a few tries to get it right.

I don't understand your statement. Do you think that foreign terrorists are the only people who make bombs? Did you see my earlier post containing links to domestic bombers? Once again, you are presenting your opinions as facts. Observations by you personally = anecdotal data. You don't know how well I can make an obscure dish I looked up on the internet (or, in my world, one of my cookbooks. This is a basic and traditional way of learning how to cook things, and lots of people get their recipes right the first time. It's amazing.)

Basically it's kindof driving me nuts that people are so unaware of the fact that Americans make bombs! Americans terrorize each other! Safety is not guaranteed and it's ignorant to think that Americans don't know how to build or use bombs. They need to be taught by the brown people, and not Uncle Jerry, in the barn?

Yes, there have been American bombers but just perusing an incomplete list like this one would find a lot more bombings occur in a handful of countries with great frequency and that tends to be over political strife and low standards of living, not skin color. I'm not saying only brown people are bomb makers as you would wish to imply, I'm simply stating that there aren't enough bombings in the US for there to be experienced (and motivated to terrorize) bomb makers, it doesn't help that if you buy the materials to build an M-80 a visit by the ATF and/or FBI is almost guaranteed.

Fire Brns wrote:Fair enough, crude is a relative term. Personally though from all the bombing accounts I have dug through in the past I don't generally consider a bomb that "successful" unless it kills around 15 people. Authorities are saying the devices were in trash cans, it's more likely they were close to the ground by being pushed down by trash or to remain hidden; trying to make a device specifically for maiming and not murder seems immensely more difficult.

Now this does interest me. You don't consider a bomb successful unless it kills around 15 people. Where did that number come from? Did you just arbitrarily decide on it? Is this a standard for some kind of record keeping for the AP or DHS or something? If not, then I'm glad we are establishing what you think words mean.

The point of terrorism isn't just to cause damage. It's to cause fear. That's why it's called that. If you've got two bombs that detonate, a great many of us, myself included, are going to stand very still and wait for the next bomb. Some of us just keep waiting with our systems on high alert.
How many people does the bomb have to terrify and keep indoors for you to consider it successful? How many businesses destroyed?

The number isn't arbitrary, perhaps it was a bit crude of me to state it that way with such a definitive number. Most newsworthy bombings have body counts in excess of 50 people and those happen in markets. The fact that these bombs went off in the middle of a crowd that normally wouldn't be that dense and still only killed 3 people is a good indicator that the bomb maker was pretty sucky. If you had read the undertone of my message it was "don't worry guys, this idiot couldn't even build a bomb correctly, take some comfort in that." It wasn't supposed to be a thesis paper, this isn't SB.

To address your questions on the "what makes it successful" question:
When bombs do relatively very little damage and only happen in rare cases people have less reason to be afraid, there needs to be a fear of additional deadly bombings. The one part of this event that was happening with this one was the fear of additional attacks, there was no definite suspect, no one taking responsibility, so to the public a indiscriminate mass murderer is still on the loose. That is the terror part of terrorism.

But when additional bombings don't happen and the culprits are caught people will go back to their everyday lives except for the immediate friends and family of the victims. A prime example: The Bath School Bombing was only in the headlines for three days until Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic and then it got pushed to page 7.

And I'd much rather not have this argument here anyway, it's a bit disrespectful to the spirit of the thread.
Edit: If you want to continue in PMs feel free.

You're talking out your ass and I'm not interested in taking your silly opinions as facts. You've just said the number isn't arbitrary except you've not explained why, just that it was 'crude'. So basically, it is arbitrary. You're making it up.
The bombing at the WTC killed 6 people. 1,000ish were injured, but I guess it wasn't newsworthy?
You have no reason to state that there aren't enough bombings in the US for there to be experienced bomb makers. You have no citation. You're just making things up. And in doing so, you're kind of offending me.
There are upwards of 20 people in critical condition still, and in any other city, they might all be casualties. Would that qualify? There are a great many people who've had their legs blown off. How much farther away from Massachusetts Fucking General Hospital do you think they'd have needed to be in order to be casualties?
This isn't a reflection of the maker, but a testament to our city, our response and our hospital.
Our response and the size of the bombs say nothing about the caliber of this bomb maker that we can ascertain at this point. Perhaps those were the intended casualties. Perhaps it all went perfectly. You don't know.
You're wrong and it pisses me off because you're making people think things that aren't true and that is NOT going to help ANYONE.
If you had read the undertone of my message it was "don't worry guys, this idiot couldn't even build a bomb correctly, take some comfort in that."

No, actually, this is a stupid thing to say. Anyone who can think for more than ten minutes is going to just be angry. Idiot or not- people fucking died, bro. Do you think that calling them an 'idiot' changes anything about how we feel or how we react to a fucking bombing? It's not comforting and it's not something you should say again to someone close to this or any other terrorist attack. Just a recommendation!

You're right. It is disrespectful. I'm glad you're not interested in having this argument here because I'm ok with you not talking anymore.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm UTC
by Belial
Fantastic Idea wrote:You're right. It is disrespectful. I'm glad you're not interested in having this argument here


Second.

Feel free to stay in the thread, I mean, it's your city too, but this chain of conversation should probably stop.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm UTC
by Nylonathatep
More info about the bomb and how it could be made.

Spoiler:
Image


Edit: Spoiler due to large image.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm UTC
by EsotericWombat
EdgarJPublius wrote:On that note, it's somewhat interesting that there doesn't appear to have been any secondary devices targeting first responders. It's possible that the second device was intended to target first responders and simply went off early


This was my initial thought based on hearing that it was one blast followed by another one shortly afterwards (though 15 seconds was certainly enough time for some of the people on-scene to close the distance), but check this out:

Image

The second blast was a block away from the first one, in the direction that the runners were coming from. I'm not quite sure what can be gleaned from that about the bomber's tactics aside from it possibly being an attempt to create a logjam in the race to maximize casualties, but from what I've read I've yet to get a clear picture of to what extent the blasts hit runners as opposed to spectators. Of course, even if there is better information it wouldn't necessarily speak to intent.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
So NBC just interrupted MSNBC and said that the bag that was near the trashcan/mailbox is confirmed to be the origin of one of the blasts. Or rather, the blast came from that area. Might not be that specific bag, but it's looking like it.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
BBC World is saying that there has been an arrest, and so do CNN and Yahoo News, but NBC says no arrest. AJE says arrest, too.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm UTC
by LaserGuy
CNN is claiming a suspect has been arrested in connection with the bombing.

[edit]Crazy ninjas

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
Identification seems to be confirmed, reports of arrest are varied.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 pm UTC
by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-m ... w/51564329
This is Rachel Maddow discussing the bombs and how commonplace these kinds of explosives and attempts are.
I highly recommend it.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:31 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
Very conflicting reports on whether a suspect has even been identified.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:39 pm UTC
by Heisenberg
CNN's reporting an arrest. I heard on the radio they think they have video showing the suspect planting the second bomb.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
CNN is now taking it back. It appears they have identified someone, but no arrest has been made.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm UTC
by Iulus Cofield
RT @kathyreports Sources telling Team 5 Investigates NO arrest but person of interest has been identified in connection with bombings. #wcvb


I'm wondering where "Lingzu Lu" came from. Police don't normally give out the names of suspects, even ones in custody, unless they're pretty sure they'll be able to charge them.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:45 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
Iulus Cofield wrote:
RT @kathyreports Sources telling Team 5 Investigates NO arrest but person of interest has been identified in connection with bombings. #wcvb


I'm wondering where "Lingzu Lu" came from. Police don't normally give out the names of suspects, even ones in custody, unless they're pretty sure they'll be able to charge them.


Lingzu Lu is the Chinese national who was the third victim identified.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 pm UTC
by LaserGuy
In other news, 24-hour media is apparently ridiculously unreliable in cases like these.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm UTC
by JBJ
Iulus Cofield wrote:
RT @kathyreports Sources telling Team 5 Investigates NO arrest but person of interest has been identified in connection with bombings. #wcvb


I'm wondering where "Lingzu Lu" came from. Police don't normally give out the names of suspects, even ones in custody, unless they're pretty sure they'll be able to charge them.

Lingzu Lu was identified as the third fatality. Not a suspect.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
LaserGuy wrote:In other news, 24-hour media is apparently ridiculously unreliable in cases like these.


MSNBC never said they had a suspect in custody or one identified (and indeed, they were pretty adamant that nothing was confirmed despite what other news reports were saying), but unfortunately I was too excited over reports of an arrest from BBC and CNN that I completely ignored them.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 pm UTC
by Heisenberg
Shepherdess wrote:CNN is now taking it back. It appears they have identified someone, but no arrest has been made.
Dammit. I tuned to ESPN radio to get away from all this crap, and they broke in to THAT to say that a suspect was arrested. Fucking media.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
by Iulus Cofield
Shepherdess wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:
RT @kathyreports Sources telling Team 5 Investigates NO arrest but person of interest has been identified in connection with bombings. #wcvb


I'm wondering where "Lingzu Lu" came from. Police don't normally give out the names of suspects, even ones in custody, unless they're pretty sure they'll be able to charge them.


Lingzu Lu is the Chinese national who was the third victim identified.


Oh, I must have misread in my pre-coffee state.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm UTC
by Shepherdess
Heisenberg wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:CNN is now taking it back. It appears they have identified someone, but no arrest has been made.
Dammit. I tuned to ESPN radio to get away from all this crap, and they broke in to THAT to say that a suspect was arrested. Fucking media.


I think they said there will be an FBI press conference at 5, so I assume if things aren't cleared up by then, the FBI will do the media's job for them.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm UTC
by Thesh
For the media, being first is more important than being accurate. Who would watch a news channel if they waited for confirmation on their information before repeating it? All the other stations are putting out new information, factual or not, while you are waiting for your precious confirmation.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm UTC
by Darryl
Heisenberg wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:CNN is now taking it back. It appears they have identified someone, but no arrest has been made.
Dammit. I tuned to ESPN radio to get away from all this crap, and they broke in to THAT to say that a suspect was arrested. Fucking media.

While that would normally work, tuning to a sports station to get away from news of what happened at a sports event just doesn't work.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm UTC
by Princess Marzipan
And the result is that rather than a single accurate account, you end up with dozens of different accounts, with various edits and changes, which make it very difficult for the public to be reliably informed, which is the entire point of the news media!

*puts hand against ear, listens to incoming message*

I'm being told that the entire point of news media is not to inform but to earn money from advertisers. We'll back after the break to discuss this with our panel of experts in whatever they claim they're experts in.

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:16 pm UTC
by Mighty Jalapeno
Image