TRIGGER WARNING: OPINION YOU PROBABLY DON'T SHARE

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Game_boy

TRIGGER WARNING: OPINION YOU PROBABLY DON'T SHARE

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:18 am UTC

trigger warnings are the stupidest, most presumptious thing i've ever seen

a waste of everyone's time, protect no-one except those who set out to be offended or broadcast their personal issues, and are a perverse symbol of internet liberal culture; a kind of we're so tolerant we have a whole convention of tolerance to shove upon you

because this thread is likely to offend certain people, I have placed a trigger warning in the title

those who would have a negative reaction to the text therein shouldn't even be reading this

people with genuine private psych issues who are receiving treatment can avoid likely threads by using their brain. unless a thread is intended to troll the content should be clear from the title or first few lines

finally it conflates graphic description of an issue with serious discussion about it. it represents a chilling effect on the kind of topics one can be open about, which is paradoxical to the tolerance culture it arises from.

tldr we can have good discussions without trigger warnings. but since this here thread isn't a good discussion it needs one.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

PeteP
What the peck?

Re: TRIGGER WARNING: OPINION YOU PROBABLY DON'T SHARE

Postby PeteP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 am UTC

Out of interest will it also offend you if I warn arachnophobes when I post creepy spider pictures or is this restricted to trigger warnings?

Also wrong subforum.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:trigger warnings are the stupidest, most presumptious thing i've ever seen

a waste of everyone's time, protect no-one except those who set out to be offended or broadcast their personal issues, and are a perverse symbol of internet liberal culture; a kind of we're so tolerant we have a whole convention of tolerance to shove upon you

because this thread is likely to offend certain people, I have placed a trigger warning in the title

those who would have a negative reaction to the text therein shouldn't even be reading this

people with genuine private psych issues who are receiving treatment can avoid likely threads by using their brain. unless a thread is intended to troll the content should be clear from the title or first few lines

finally it conflates graphic description of an issue with serious discussion about it. it represents a chilling effect on the kind of topics one can be open about, which is paradoxical to the tolerance culture it arises from.

tldr we can have good discussions without trigger warnings. but since this here thread isn't a good discussion it needs one.
Yeah and while we're at it, FUCK spoiler alerts. Fuckin' waste of god damn time!</sarcasm>

Trigger Warnings are a community standard around these parts. It's just how things are done. And I don't think they're as chilling as you make them out to be. All they are is a heads up to people who really don't want to read about or discuss that issue, or who may only want to read about or discuss that issue at certain times or in certain moods. How does that limit discussion? A trigger warning doesn't prevent you from discussing a particular topic...

You're making all sorts of outlandish claims with no support to them whatsoever. You just...don't like trigger warnings. Which is fine! They aren't for you.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Brace

Postby Brace » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 am UTC

You can talk about whatever you like. Your argument is that this particular convention hurts your feelings and therefore impedes your ability to discuss things. This is inconceivably stupid, and in an intense case of irony, for essentially the same reasons as you attack trigger warnings as a convention. If this is the level of discussion that's being prevented by the practice then nothing of value is lost anyway.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 am UTC

tldr we can have good discussions without trigger warnings

We can have good discussions with trigger warnings too - so where's the harm?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:49 am UTC

I respectfully disagree
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 am UTC

This ain't tumblr, you know. Trigger warnings are used pretty sensibly here.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 am UTC

So out of curiousity, can you tell me any two of the things you did wrong here, Game_boy?

No one else answer, I wanna see if he gets it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 am UTC

There are people who have PTSD because of their experiences in wartime. We don't have a culture where it's common to make jokes about, or have detailed discussions of, IEDs going off under overpasses during patrols. If we did, it would be an awful experience for a returning vet to randomly encounter these jokes or discussions while trying to de-stress by reading their favourite comic forum.

One in six women may have PTSD or some symptoms of it as a result of sexual assault. I don't mind taking some precautions to ensure that some twenty million people in the U.S. alone don't get flashbacks that cause a reliving of the original trauma.

(Belial'd. Hope I didn't answer it inadvertently.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:trigger warnings are the stupidest, most presumptious thing i've ever seen
So, something I learned a while back -- the key to having positive, productive discussions is knowing how to de-escalate; learning how to take a potentially sensitive issue, strip away all the unnecessary bits that might lead to an eruption of strife, and try to get at the core of what's actually important. In a sense, this means sanitizing your language; going through your lexicon and ear-marking words that might carry cultural or psychological baggage for a variety of reasons. It also means learning how to make your language as clear and precise as possible.

Language is a complex animal; words mean different things to different people. They also can hurt -- psychologically, emotionally, and even (in some cases) physically! Understanding this is a key component to healthy communication. Part of the reasoning behind trigger warnings is an acknowledgment of this simple fact ('okay, I'm about to talk about a subject and I just want you to know I might use some language that will piss you off / anger you / hurt you').

I understand why you see trigger warnings as counter-productive. But understand our position: You just said trigger warnings are the stupidest, most presumptuous thing you've ever seen -- and you then proceeded to finish your post by saying we need 'good discussions' about trigger warnings. Good discussions don't happen when you use trivial hyperbole (seriously, trigger warnings are the stupidest, most presumptuous thing you've ever seen?), they don't happen when you insult any party that might disagree (see the title of this thread), and they certainly don't happen when you reduce the reasoning of the other parties to a two-dimensional strawman (see the entirety of your post).

What I'm saying is this: If you want to have a positive, productive discussion about trigger warnings and their utility, you need to start by demonstrating you're capable of having such a discussion. I don't think you're there.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 am UTC

Because as we all know, in order to get a opinion across on these forums, you have to post a brand new thread about the thing you claim wastes everyone's time and then be sure to post it in all caps.
Regardless of whether or not you like them just don't be a dick about it.
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 am UTC

Hippo, I love reading your posts, but I HATE cleaning all the shit out of my pants after seeing that avatar.

if only there were a toll-free number I could call to have a miracle product shipped to my door
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Belial wrote:So out of curiousity, can you tell me any two of the things you did wrong here, Game_boy?

No one else answer, I wanna see if he gets it.

Rules 5,12 (probably), and 14 (extreme edition), but surprisingly little of the N&A specific ones

And yeah I could expand my point into a fully justified and well formatted essay but honestly whose opinion would it change?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Why post on the Internet anyway? The sun is still going to explode some day.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 am UTC

What I'm saying is this: If you want to have a positive, productive discussion about trigger warnings and their utility, you need to start by demonstrating you're capable of having such a discussion. I don't think you're there.

I already said in the last line it wasn't a good discussion. I have zero interest in having one, though I am capable of it. For example, trigger warnings are only moderately stupid and fairly presumptuous. But that kind of comment isn't going to get me banned, so why would I make it?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:20 am UTC

I sincerely did not expect an accurate recounting of the rules you'd broken. Partial credit.

Bye.

For everyone else, if you actually want to have a discussion of the utility of trigger warnings, I suggest you try to have it in an even vaguely respectful manner, in a thread dedicated to that topic, in a forum that isn't flagrantly the wrong forum to have it in. (General is a good one, serious business if you must)

Locked.

Private-yet-public Musing: I'll never understand why someone *sets out* to get banned. You'd think you could just leave...

Not enough attention that way I guess?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “News & Articles”