The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

morriswalters

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:You have five posts now, so linkage please!

Here's something.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

the end of the link above wrote:...it's also possible the concept will graduate to the realm of vaporware.
I like that "vaporware" is an upgrade. :)

Cool idea, but even regular high def projection upon curved skin is not impressive yet. Nonetheless, it's a cool idea for less demanding applications.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:02 pm UTC

That shouldn't be hard to do with the hololense, though then it only looks like it's on your arm. The next step would make it look like everyone had a tv on their stomach, telitubbies everywhere!

Really I just want them to make Yu-gi-oh work like the tv show, even if it's only on the small scale on a table, that's what I'm waiting on. Oh! Idea! They need to take the tabletop simulator from steam and combine it with the holo-lense, then you can just download any card game/board game you want to play and not have to have stacks of boxes in the cupboard.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:25 am UTC

G0NZ0 wrote:They made a bracelet called Cicret that can project your tablet/ phone data onto your wrist like a touchscreen. Can't post a video since I am a newb, but looks kind of cool.

You should be able to post links now :)

Props for not complaining about that rule!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:33 am UTC

krogoth wrote:That shouldn't be hard to do with the hololense, though then it only looks like it's on your arm. The next step would make it look like everyone had a tv on their stomach, telitubbies everywhere!

Doesn't Google Glass do that, now?
Only the person wearing the glasses can see it.

Psychiatrists without Tech knowledge
will be diagnosing Schizophrenia right and left, for a while.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:55 am UTC

Not as terrible as the solar roads idea, but it's still going to fall flat on its face.
He/Him/His Image

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm UTC

addams wrote:
krogoth wrote:That shouldn't be hard to do with the hololense, though then it only looks like it's on your arm. The next step would make it look like everyone had a tv on their stomach, telitubbies everywhere!

Doesn't Google Glass do that, now?
Only the person wearing the glasses can see it.

Psychiatrists without Tech knowledge
will be diagnosing Schizophrenia right and left, for a while.

Unfortunately I can't really say how different they are, I don't think Microsoft has said the stats of their product.
On a basic level though google glass gives a heads up display for your phone in front of your face, while the holo-lense gives a full virtual reality overlay to your location, that has full gesture control.
Google glass could be a replacement or addition to your phone, While the holo-lense is a replacement to your tv/computer ect, but you probably wouldn't take it out of the house unless planning on using at another persons house.
google glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXk87IKgCo
hololense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg
edit:
better hololense link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0gM0_vxIM
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:

Not as terrible as the solar roads idea, but it's still going to fall flat on its face.

Isn't "flat on its face" the condition roads are supposed to be in?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

HES wrote:Not as terrible as the solar roads idea, but it's still going to fall flat on its face.
Yep. But than again, if you don't try, you can't succeed.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
HES wrote:Not as terrible as the solar roads idea, but it's still going to fall flat on its face.
Yep. But than again, if you don't try, you can't succeed.

Yeah, but there's such a thing as failing quickly and cheaply. Solar roads, in particular, were trying to scale up fairly rapidly, and, IMO, without doing a great deal of the testing and math to consider fairly obvious issues. Claiming you're just going to "melt the snowfall" with all of your excess power is kind of...ehhh. It indicates you really, really didn't plan it out thoroughly, and the project is uncomfortably close to some stoned guy babbling about 'wouldn't it be cool if?'.

Personally, I've worked a *lot* with plastics, but obviously, details are wildly lacking. We don't know precisely what they're using, though...they claim their source is recycled plastics from the ocean. That's...going to suck. Most of that stuff is not really meant as structural materials, certainly not for highway applications. Even if they replace everything lost through offgassing and get it to a good as new state, affordably, using presumably magic tech, they've got material that isn't going to last very long exposed to the weather*. Worse, they've got a hollow design, with only occasional posts for support. That's...frigging terrible.

Also, putting down foundations isn't just done because asphalt is heavy. It's done because vehicles are heavy. Roads have weight limits and such because driving a semi down a crappy road is hard on it. You need that foundation for support of the vehicles. Just ditching the foundations and using plastic is...really, really bad. Sweet Jebus, they don't even show an anchoring system to prevent it from floating if there's water. It's a hollow plastic container, that crap is not exactly stable.

*Yes, yes, it lasts in the ocean a good while...but in tiny particle form. The actual shapes break down fairly quickly in most cases, and you've got just little bits floating about. That's not terribly good for a road.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

My biggest issue is quantities. There is a lot of volume tied up in a road.

As for the rest of it, you don't need a highway engineer to tell you it's not going to do its job. (But I am a highway engineer, and I'm telling you anyway)
He/Him/His Image

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Your probably right. And most businesses fail. Still I don't have any money in it, so I can look at it with detached amusement.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:25 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Your probably right. And most businesses fail. Still I don't have any money in it, so I can look at it with detached amusement.

Sure. If you don't live in a jurisdiction willing to throw money at such a ludicrous project, there's no real direct impact.

But there's a larger problem of crazy things riding on the coattails of scientific credibility. This is *mostly* not the fault of the scientific community, but instead media, scammers, etc....but such things do impact public perception of science.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:37 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Sure. If you don't live in a jurisdiction willing to throw money at such a ludicrous project, there's no real direct impact.
I believe the city is only supplying a test bed.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:13 am UTC

HES wrote:My biggest issue is quantities. There is a lot of volume tied up in a road.

As for the rest of it, you don't need a highway engineer to tell you it's not going to do its job. (But I am a highway engineer, and I'm telling you anyway)

It is so great having you around.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:55 am UTC

Ooh, ooh. I have a great idea. We can plate all of our roadways with iridium and they would never wear out due to traffic or weather!!! Just build it once and forget it. And it'll even be cheap compared to repaving asphalt every year or two until the sun expands into a red giant.

solune

Postby solune » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Ooh, ooh. I have a great idea. We can plate all of our roadways with iridium and they would never wear out due to traffic or weather!!! Just build it once and forget it. And it'll even be cheap compared to repaving asphalt every year or two until the sun expands into a red giant.

Velociraptors did that and look where that got them. :wink:

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:26 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Your probably right. And most businesses fail. Still I don't have any money in it, so I can look at it with detached amusement.

The plastic roads project is not a start-up firm, but is being run by VolkerWessels, which is one of the Netherlands' largest construction firms (15k employees, 200M euro profit in 2014). Of course none of that means that this is a viable idea, but I do expect it has undergone more critical evaluation than say the solar roads.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:59 pm UTC

Interesting, I've had dealings with their UK division. The important thing with these sorts of ideas is yes, I'm sure it is possible. But practical, economic, and as environmentally sound as they suggest? Not so much.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:run by VolkerWessels, which is one of the Netherlands' largest construction firms (15k employees, 200M euro profit in 2014). Of course none of that means that this is a viable idea, but I do expect it has undergone more critical evaluation than say the solar roads.
You sure you don't mean:
"...but I do expect it has undergone more critical evaluation lobbying than say the solar roads"?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... the-world/

A reminder on how easy it is to get the opinions of people literally around the world through modern social media. The question posed in "Reddit" was... how was the Nuclear Bombs on Hiroshima / Nagasaki taught in your country? As expected, there are many ways for those fateful days to be taught, and it is interesting to see the bias of each country through the responses on Reddit.

It is also interesting to me that the Japanese / American viewpoints seem relatively similar, while the ones that are very different were like... the (alleged) Iranian response.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:55 pm UTC

Elon Musk is scary. A snakelike device which connects the charger to your Model S. Creepy.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Elon Musk is scary. A snakelike device which connects the charger to your Model S. Creepy.

So Elon Musk is going from Tony Stark and Tom Swift to Doc Ock? Not good, man, not good.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Elon Musk is scary. A snakelike device which connects the charger to your Model S. Creepy.

So Elon Musk is going from Tony Stark and Tom Swift to Doc Ock? Not good, man, not good.

Well, we do have a supervillain shortage. Proper supervillains, yknow. The sort that actually invent crazy shit.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

We live in the future.
Some of us do.
Spoiler:
Social issues that bridge the gap between those of us that live in the future
Those of us that live in the present and those of us that live in the stone age

Well...That's for a different thread.
I think, this clip shows us, in the very near future, stepping into our cyborg suits as it suits us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyx0SwNlpPw

I also think some of the wearable technology is very interesting and useful.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

A book with pages that can be torn out to filter drinking water has proved effective in its first field trials.

The "drinkable book" combines treated paper with printed information on how and why water should be filtered. Its pages contain nanoparticles of silver or copper, which kill bacteria in the water as it passes through.

In trials at 25 contaminated water sources in South Africa, Ghana and Bangladesh, the paper successfully removed more than 99% of bacteria. The resulting levels of contamination are similar to US tap water, the researchers say. Tiny amounts of silver or copper also leached into the water, but these were well below safety limits.

Dr Teri Dankovich, a postdoctoral researcher at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, developed and tested the technology for the book over several years, working at McGill University in Canada and then at the University of Virginia: "It's directed towards communities in developing countries," Dr Dankovich said, noting that 663 million people around the world do not have access to clean drinking water. "All you need to do is tear out a paper, put it in a simple filter holder and pour water into it from rivers, streams, wells etc and out comes clean water - and dead bacteria as well."

According to her tests, one page can clean up to 100 litres of water. A book could filter one person's water supply for four years.

Dr Dankovich had already tested the paper in the lab using artificially contaminated water. Success there led to the field trials which she conducted over the past two years, working with the charities Water is Life and iDE. In these trials, the bacteria count in the water samples plummeted by well over 99% on average - and in most samples, it dropped to zero.

"Overall, out of all the technologies that are available - ceramic filters, UV sterilisation and so on - this is a promising one, because it's cheap, and it's a catchy idea that people can get hold of and understand."

link

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:00 pm UTC

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/08/ ... 5000-suns/

Now obviously, there have been plenty of high-efficiency solar projects recently. The part that made this one unique for me was...

Second, to increase heat transfer from the chip to the water, IBM has replaced the dumb ol' water block with a piece of silicon with microfluidic channels. This piece of silicon, which is then stuck to the back of the computer chip like a tiny water block, has thousands of tiny channels that bring the water to within just a few microns of those pesky heat-generating transistors. This massively increases the amount of heat that can be dissipated, plus all of those discrete channels do a lot better job of dealing with chip hot spots (small regions that are more active than others) than the handful of giant channels in a conventional water block.

So in summary, the solar panels get hot because they focus the sun to a single point. Tons of electricity is generated, but the solar panel needs to be cooled down to keep functioning. They run water through the panels by etching water channels through the Silicon Wafers directly :shock: :shock: This is roughly like looking at a computer chip, with a sign that says "Insert Water Here". The water goes through the photovoltaic cells directly, no need for a heat sink.

Anyway, the water is supposed to then be used for something (but the article is a bit vague on that). I do like the innovative use of cell-making technology to create water cooling channels directly on the chip though.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:Really I just want them to make Yu-gi-oh work like the tv show

What, so nobody knows what the cards do?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:24 am UTC

Diemo wrote:

That, and I expect the holograms to send people flying when they explode, duh.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:53 am UTC

krogoth wrote:
Diemo wrote:

That, and I expect the holograms to send people flying when they explode, duh.

I thought the cards sent you to hell The SHADOW REALM if you lost a duel.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 am UTC

The shadow realm is a dub issue for just "death" or "removing the soul", idk I can't even really defend it, if you are going to kill someone why Russian roulette it over a card game, as noted before they just made up a lot of the rules and changed them as they went along, in some of the more recent seasons when a monster dies often they 'explode' doing damage to the owner and literally knocking them off their feet as if the in game life points are dealt as physical damage, and they have schools for learning the game, I mean it's not so hard as to need a dedicated school since most of the rules fit in a manual with a physical size smaller than a crumpet.

Kind of reminds me of the idea I had when I was 12 wondering, what if instead of war countries had chess tournaments to decide the winner. Though it's obvious to me now the many issues with that. But it would be funny to see things resolved that way, generals, solders and the regulations there of etc.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:Kind of reminds me of the idea I had when I was 12 wondering, what if instead of war countries had chess tournaments to decide the winner. Though it's obvious to me now the many issues with that. But it would be funny to see things resolved that way, generals, solders and the regulations there of etc.

Given time, and robotics advancements, this is essentially what will happen.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
krogoth wrote:Kind of reminds me of the idea I had when I was 12 wondering, what if instead of war countries had chess tournaments to decide the winner. Though it's obvious to me now the many issues with that. But it would be funny to see things resolved that way, generals, solders and the regulations there of etc.

Given time, and robotics advancements, this is essentially what will happen.

*cough*
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/techn ... ivers.html
Google laments at the damage human drivers deals to it's autonomous cars as it looks forward to the day it wipes all humans from the road.
“The real problem is that the car is too safe,” said Donald Norman, director of the Design Lab at the University of California, San Diego, who studies autonomous vehicles. “They have to learn to be aggressive in the right amount, and the right amount depends on the culture.”

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 am UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/technology/personaltech/google-says-its-not-the-driverless-cars-fault-its-other-drivers.html
Google laments at the damage human drivers deals to it's autonomous cars as it looks forward to the day it wipes all humans from the road.
“The real problem is that the car is too safe,” said Donald Norman, director of the Design Lab at the University of California, San Diego, who studies autonomous vehicles. “They have to learn to be aggressive in the right amount, and the right amount depends on the culture.”

You say that as if it were a bad thing :? As a bicycle rider, I for one welcome our new mechanical overlords.
Keep in mind, those human drivers are not only damaging Google's cars, they are also damaging other humans.

"Dmitri Dolgov, head of software for Google’s Self-Driving Car Project, said that one thing he had learned from the project was that human drivers needed to be “less idiotic.”"
Now see, he didn't say human drivers need to be wiped from the road, though, granted, it is implied since it is pretty much impossible for human drivers to be less, or indeed, any more, idiotic that they are. .

mfb

Postby mfb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:it is implied since it is pretty much impossible for human drivers to be less, or indeed, any more, idiotic that they are. .
Traffic is so different in different countries - with huge differences in the level idiocy.
I guess in some countries the current google cars would never be able to cross larger intersections. They would wait for a safe way to do so - forever.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:02 am UTC

mfb wrote:I guess in some countries the current google cars would never be able to cross larger intersections. They would wait for a safe way to do so - forever.

I wonder if the programming would include some 'increase aggressiveness proportional to time spent waiting' factor, which I feel like most humans have when they drive. If someone gets to an intersection with constant traffic flowing past, they'll often start out waiting for a gap, but eventually decide that they have to nudge forward until they can create their own space. Would Google cars do something similar?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:41 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Would Google cars do something similar?
... and who would get the ticket if they did?

Jose

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:38 am UTC

Ticketing is an archaic mechanism that will go the way of the dodo. It's a way to punish and discourage supposedly unacceptably risky behaviour that got away with it this time. (If an accident actually occurs, the punishment is usually far more serious than mere ticketing.)

It's a really hit and miss affair though: eg. Often, breaking the speed limit is perfectly safe, and, often, risky behaviour, like driving with too little a stopping distance, isn't ticketable at all...

If behaviour is uniform and predictable across a large population, market forces through insurance costs is a much better mechanism than ticketing: If Google cars are involved in twice the accidents that Apple cars are, they will cost twice as much to insure, and Google will work hard to improve their safety record so as not to lose market share.

(I read a comment from a cyclist the other day who frequently interacts with Google cars and finds them by far the safest drivers on his road, and can't wait for the time they become widely adopted.)

Return to “News & Articles”