The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

I realize that everyone has moved on, but I still want to clarify something I wrote in my last post. When I said I have a interest in sex addiction research, I was not implying that other things that are biological necessities, like food, are not addictive.

I was at the dentist a while ago and the room they put me in had a strange machine in it. It had some interesting words on it that; the kind of words I would associate with particle beams. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they where. I asked the dentist what that machine was and she told me that it was a laser. They use it when a patient has a very bad infection in order to remove the dead or infected tissue. To be clear, that laser beam was in that room just because that is where they store it; I did not need anything cut out of my mouth. On the way home I realized that my dentists had a LASER! It was not one of those wimpy lasers that read CD or something; it was a real, sci-fi, burns-holes-through-stuff, could-probably-kill-a-horse laser! I know that lasers have been used in medical treatment for years, probably decades, but those where all used for super high-tech treatments that were the cutting (pun unintended) edge of medicine. This was a laser used by an average, middle-class, 9-5, average Joe's dentist. Lasers had become so common and mundane that regular people are using them! I can easily imagine a Star-Trek episode that opens with someone getting dental work done and then off-handily mentioning lasers.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:14 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, lasers are old hat. I've worked with carriage mounted industrial lasers a bit.

I'm also putting in a hydro bay next to my 3d printers. Hopefully there won't be any humidity leakage.

I'm looking forward to proper AI, though. That's "the Future" so far as I'm concerned. That and immortality. Give me those, and I give zero craps about so many other things.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

Not news, or particularly new, but a friend is getting her hip replaced this week.

We can replace peoples' bones, folks. Straight up cut the old one out and put a synthetic one in.

Future.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

HES

Postby HES » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

Bones are easy. We're getting damn close to fully functional, controllable prosthetics.
He/Him/His Image

Link

Postby Link » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

In related news, it turns out mechanical circulatory support is comparable to a full heart transplant in terms of patient survival. Article in Dutch.

We are slowly but certainly reaching the point where most of the human body can be replaced by technology. That said, I won't be saying we're living in the future until we can augment the human body beyond its natural limitations.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

In some respects, we already can.

The only reason I do not walk around 100% of the time with dynamic range compression e-muffs on is that people tend to look oddly at me if I'm covered in too much tech.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 am UTC

My understanding is that artificial hearts are also much better in that blood flows continually instead of in violent bursts - so much gentler on the circulatory system, mechanically speaking.

Back on driverless cars - I had no idea there were so many serious players. I thought there were only really two or three, but it seems I was mistaken:

In the race for driverless car technology, Chinese companies are taking big strides competing with the likes of Google and Tesla.

With the Beijing Motor Show under way, the days when the country's domestic car firms was brushed off as mere copycats are well and truly over. And a lot of this year's buzz is around driverless cars in particular.

In past years, innovation might have come from Silicon valley, but Chinese companies are pushing ahead.

"There is a lot more going on in China than many in the West have realised," car expert Prof David Bailey of the Aston Business School tells the BBC.

Who are the big players?
- Changan: Two driverless cars drove more than 2,000km (1,240 miles) from its headquarters to Beijing using cameras and radar to complete the trip in six days - the car firm says it was able to do research on lane-keeping and changing, traffic sign recognition, automatic cruising and voice control.
- Baidu and BMW: A cooperation between Chinese tech giant Baidu and German car maker BMW saw a driverless car drive 30km through Beijing traffic, managing a range of manoeuvres, including U-turns, lane changes and merging into traffic from ramps.
- Geely and Volvo: Chinese owned Swedish car maker Volvo says it plans to test 100 driverless cars on public roads in "everyday conditions". It is thought to be a significant move to establish the Sino-Swedish team at the forefront of development. Volvo is also testing driverless cars in Sweden and the UK.

In addition to these main players there are many others vying for attention. Research in China takes place in car companies, tech firms and at universities.

Last week, entertainment company LeEco made a big splash presenting its concept car LeSee, which at least in the presentation impressed with wide-ranging capabilities.

The company is also investing in the US electric car start-up, Faraday Future, and and is cooperating with legendary British Aston Martin on an electric car project.

So when will it be normal to have a driverless car pull up next to you at the traffic light? "We are probably still one decade away from that," says Prof Bailey.

Yet Changan, Baidu and Geely are right in the midst of research and development, eager to get there ahead of Silicon Valley.

Who will take the lead? Obviously a tough question to answer - but there's a lot to suggest that Chinese companies do not intend to come second.

The tests and trials that are being conducted are very extensive and the experimentation and learning process will be crucial to progress in the field.

But still, it is the US where the technology was pioneered and where a lot of the past innovation has come from.

"The heart and centre of the innovation lies in Silicon Valley," industry expert Prof Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer told the BBC from this year's Chinese-German Car Symposium conference in Beijing. "Silicon Valley is where the automated car will come from."

Yet public attitudes to driverless vehicles are a lot more favourable in China than elsewhere. And the fact that research into the new technology has the backing and support from the government in Beijing might also prove to be a decisive factor.

"So if we see this happen in China, it will probably happen on quite a big scale," says Prof David Bailey.

Motivated by the widespread pollution problems, Beijing has pushed for more electric vehicles and Chinese car makers have responded significantly.

It's quite possible that Google might just find itself trailing the rear lights of a Baidu, Geely or Changan car.

link

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
the article referenced wrote:Yet public attitudes to driverless vehicles are a lot more favourable in China than elsewhere. And the fact that research into the new technology has the backing and support from the government in Beijing might also prove to be a decisive factor.

"So if we see this happen in China, it will probably happen on quite a big scale," says Prof David Bailey.
I wonder what China will do with all the surveillance data these cars will provide, as their cameras inevitably scour the landscape to avoid collisions and to warn the cars behind them of pedestrians and other hazards.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:36 pm UTC

Well, apparently China is just a magical land where everything works the way engineers expect it to, and then you roll out the same technology in the US and you get Teenage Nazi Sexbot.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:46 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Back on driverless cars - I had no idea there were so many serious players. I thought there were only really two or three, but it seems I was mistaken:

Indeed, self-driving (not truly driverless, yet, due to the limitations of legislation) Volvos will be on the streets on London in the near future. London is an especially challenging driving environment so will make an excellent proving ground.

ucim wrote:I wonder what China will do with all the surveillance data these cars will provide

Not this again. You've made your point.
He/Him/His Image

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm UTC

HES wrote:London is an especially challenging driving environment so will make an excellent proving ground.

What a comforting thought for residents of London.

Not this again. You've made your point.

It's a point that deserves reiteration.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

Link wrote:In related news, it turns out mechanical circulatory support is comparable to a full heart transplant in terms of patient survival. Article in Dutch.

We are slowly but certainly reaching the point where most of the human body can be replaced by technology. That said, I won't be saying we're living in the future until we can augment the human body beyond its natural limitations.

That's as simple as increasing the pumping speed, right?

But yeah, most augmentations are still performing poorly. E.g. exoskeletons (if you can even call them that) are only in military development. And most arm prosthetics can only do a few gestures and are slow at it. And most leg prostethics don't even have feet, let alone toes. Also AFAICT there's no actuator input to a prosthetic knee, so you can't kick someone in the crotch stretch your leg horizontally in mid-air for a particular reason.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

Countries already subpoena data from products within their grasp. No need to worry about the hypothetical, it's a reality.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon May 02, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

A Frenchman has flown more than 2 kilometers on a jet-powered hoverboard, setting an apparent new world record.

The Guinness World Records reported on its website that 37-year-old Franky Zapata travelled 2.2km off the French coastal town of Sausset-les-Pins on Saturday at a height of 50m above the surface of the water.

It said a Guinness World Records official was on hand for the flight and determined that it beat the previous record of 275.9m by Canadian Catlin Alexandru Duru last year.

He said the feeling of hovering above the ground was “really peaceful”.

“I open my arms because it helps me control my movements, but when you open your hands and you feel the wind go through your hand and you have nothing under your feet — it’s hard to describe, really. You have to experience this moment in your life.”

Zapata, a jet ski champion, used a craft known as the Flyboard Air developed by his company Zapata Racing. According to the company, the Flyboard Air can fly for up to ten minutes and has a maximum speed of 93mph.

He also holds an earlier Guinness record for doing 26 backflips with a water jet pack in a single minute.

Who knew that the Silver Surfer was French? Or is it the Green Goblin..?

link

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

The clip has been removed from your link, elasto.
Here is one that may do to replace it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tRDCXCO2U

Yes.
That is very futuristic.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

That is Goblin style. The Silver Surfer stands like a wave surfer, with one foot in front of the other and shoulders aligned with the direction of travel.
-Socrates

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm UTC

The jet surfboard: it's fake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSA694titk

There's a better debunk video, but I can't find it now.

Sorry about that. There's a guinness site that claim's it's not fake, but I don't know if that's the official site or not. (And the debunk could be bunk itself). However, It's too easy for somebody to fall off the ch*rpin' thing, so I'm inclined to disbelieve the flight.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 pm UTC

Sounds very much like the debunking video is fake. I mean what is the video trying to say? That they rammed a solid metal rod through his head and are lifting him up with that? Seems ... unlikely.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 pm UTC

Well I'm dubious but here is a second link.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 06, 2016 6:14 pm UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLJ3jCgn84

SpaceX successfully lands again.

More impressively was that this was from geosynchronous orbit. The landing was much more aggressive in this one than the earlier landing, some people are estimating an average approach acceleration of 4 to 5g (40m/s^2 to 50m/s^2), with a brief peak at 12g. There was much less fuel available after the rocket got into geosynchronous orbit. So they needed to approach far more aggressively to compensate.

https://flightclub.io/results/?id=eeaf8 ... &code=JC14

See the blue line in the "acceleration" graph.

The velocity graph is interesting: the final approach started at 268m/s at t=496. Five seconds later at t=501.75, the rocket has landed successfully. 46m/s^2 average deceleration in this period.

EDIT: The 12g figure is a bug in the data. Still impressive in any case.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLJ3jCgn84

More impressively was that this was from geosynchronous orbit. The landing was much more aggressive in this one than the earlier landing, some people are estimating an average approach acceleration of 4 to 5g (40m/s^2 to 50m/s^2), with a brief peak at 12g. There was much less fuel available after the rocket got into geosynchronous orbit. So they needed to approach far more aggressively to compensate.

The velocity graph is interesting: the final approach started at 268m/s at t=496. Five seconds later at t=501.75, the rocket has landed successfully. 46m/s^2 average deceleration in this period.

I … don't see anything in that video, except some flashes and then a landed rocket.
Also, while this is cool, i still don't really understand why this is economical compared to a parachuted drop?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 pm UTC

A parachute big enough would take up a lot of mass I believe.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

I'd just like to note from that YouTube link, the following text:

SpaceX wrote:After launching the JCSAT-14 satellite, the first stage of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket attempted and succeeded an experimental landing on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship in the Atlantic Ocean.

I am heartily pleased by the ships being named in honour of Iain M Banks. Though he could have used the "Just Testing" as a name while in the development phase...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri May 06, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

speising wrote:Also, while this is cool, i still don't really understand why this is economical compared to a parachuted drop?

First is that parachutes don't scale up well. There's limits on how strong you can make a parachute and how fast a parachute drop can slow your vehicle. If your vehicle is moving too fast you can't deploy a chute without destroying the chute. You can reduce the aerodynamic forces on the parachute by making it smaller, but your deceleration is slower, and if you don't decelerate fast enough you're going to slam in to the ground before reaching a survivable velocity.

You could pack various sized drogue chutes to make use of smaller chutes while going faster then stage to larger ones as your velocity declines, but at some point you're packing so many chutes, and the fuel to lift them to orbit and make the entire trip you might as well have just packed fuel for the rockets you're already carrying on the upward journey anyway.

Parachutes also suffer from the square-cube law. For each increase in the linear dimension of your vehicle surface areas increase by the square, mass increases by the cube. If you took the Apollo command module and did nothing but scale it up by a factor of 2, including space dedicated to parachutes, the parachutes would have 4-times the surface area to create drag, but the capsule's mass would have increased 8-fold. You could pack larger chutes, but again you lose internal capacity to those larger chutes. And making the chutes larger increases their own mass, which poses additional problems with material tensile strength as the material at the center of a heavier chute has to work harder to hold it's own mass together against the effects of increased drag.

Also, as pointed out by ijun earlier in the thread:
ijuin wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Rocket thing was an aside. But also seemed mind boggling. As for parachutes, I have to assume the designers considered such an obvious solution, and discarded it because they scale up for crap.

Using parachutes means giving up the precision landing--your descending rocket is going to be drifting on the wind while it is hanging from the parachutes, which could put it up to a kilometer away by the time it's ready to jettison the parachutes. If it drifts by that much at a relatively low altitude (you're going to be a couple of kilometers above ground level at most when the parachutes get jettisoned), then it's going to take considerably more rocket fuel to move it back to the desired landing spot, which negates the mass savings of using the parachute in the first place. Thus, the full-propulsive landing from terminal velocity till touchdown costs the least mass as long as you don't need to spend more than a couple of seconds hovering.

The Apollo capsules splashed down in the Pacific or the Atlantic oceans in part because they're large enough features to hit reliably. Even the Soyuz capsules typically land in the wide open deserts of Kazakhstan. If you're trying to run a for-profit company executing a search-and-rescue for each and every one of your shipments would be costly. Consider if UPS dropped your latest eBay order somewhere in your local metro and you had to go and find it.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 06, 2016 8:08 pm UTC

speising wrote:I … don't see anything in that video, except some flashes and then a landed rocket.
Also, while this is cool, i still don't really understand why this is economical compared to a parachuted drop?

You don't get to control where the parachute lands for one.

Another is that parachutes don't work very well for things that weigh several tons, traveling at faster-than-terminal velocity coming in from space. Remember the numbers? The rocket started to slow down when it was falling at a speed of 260m/s.

Your typical skydiver hits terminal velocity at ~125mph, or 55m/s. Or roughly 5x slower than the speed of this rocket in the last 5-seconds of its descent.

Also, this wasn't just a rocket landing. This was a rocket landing on a robotic platform at a predesignated space in the ocean after launching another platform into geosynchronous orbit.

I … don't see anything in that video, except some flashes and then a landed rocket.

Yeah, it approached at 260m/s (580 mph) until the last five seconds. And yet all the control systems managed to keep the rocket upright the whole time, despite the massive forces involved. ~4.5g or so.

It was easier to see the earlier success, because they took things slow. But I guess now that the algorithm has a few successes... they're going to be testing the limits of their control systems. Plus, its more efficient if you land quicker. Less fuel needed to land, less fuel needed to take your loads into space, less mass on the rocket means less fuel needed to move the fuel around (fuel weighs something after all. F = m x a, and mass is not a constant in rocket science...)

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon May 09, 2016 4:56 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLJ3jCgn84

Are those really from the recent GTO landing? I've been believing the announcer statements that the [re]entry burn was minimal (changed from 2.3km/s to ~2km/s instead of the typical ~1km/s) this data shows a huge entry burn (something like 20tons which was nearly all the remaining fuel), note that the final burn was much hotter and should be over 6g, but 12g is likely too much.

Minimizing the entry burn will likely be critical for recovering the Falcon Heavy. Since the upper stage is pretty much the same as Falcon 9, any delta-v that will be lost in the upper stage (due to more massive cargo) will have to be supplied by the center stage. That means a higher MECO for the middle stage and a resulting bigger entry burn. If you can get away with less of a entry burn, you can recover a bigger center stage.

On the other hand, after jiggling the numbers given on Spacex's recent "apples and oranges" data on Falcon9 and Falcon Heavy (cargo mass given for non-recoverable, prices given for recoverable), I'm guessing that the best price/kg to LEO is going to be one recovering the side boosters but not the center one.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 09, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

There's a note in the post you quoted regarding the 12g error.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 10, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

The Foldit community solved in 3 weeks what scientists could not solve after 10 years. Here is the official paper published in Nature. Nature is one of, if not the, most prestigious journal in the world. I tried playing the game; unfortunately, my computer is too slow too run it.
-Socrates

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 10, 2016 12:45 pm UTC

Crowdsourcing done right.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

If it started eight years ago doesn't it mean this is now the thread to remind us we're living in the past?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 10, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

We're in the future of the past.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

We're so far in the future that the future was eight years ago.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

AffinityDesigner

Postby AffinityDesigner » Tue May 10, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

Seeing things like this (Ehang 184 Passenger Drone) make me realize that the future is now. Plus BMW now has a driver-less car option (not just reserved for Google car bots anymore). These are indeed interesting times.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 10, 2016 3:38 pm UTC

-Socrates

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm UTC

AffinityDesigner wrote:Seeing things like this (Ehang 184 Passenger Drone) make me realize that the future is now. Plus BMW now has a driver-less car option (not just reserved for Google car bots anymore). These are indeed interesting times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65X25g5Lyuk
^^Redundant clip^^
What a great tool to have for Emergency Evacuation.

Oh! Oh! Another use:
Set it up to fetch.
Spoiler:
I've been out on the trail and wished I could call a helicopter.

Some people could.
I was not one that could.

I had to walk my tired self out.
This thing could become standard back country rescue.

This thing could make the trails Noisy during the past dusk rush hour.
Of course, we would need and want strictly enforced No Fly areas and times.

How great is it to fly out, over the trail one has just walked in?
I took a train along a foot trail I had just walked....

It was Great!
This thing is Great, too.
Yes! It is The Future or Almost!
Traffic patterns and rules will need another dimension: Up/Down.

Dr. Sagan would be tickled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTL02N9EHzU
Or; Not.

I may never call my Craft to come pick me up.
I can think about it perfectly well. Off Topic:
Spoiler:
In the clip I submitted, Dr. Sagan said, "...All Third Grade ClassRooms."
The American People seem to be Clambering for YesterYear.

I can see their point, SomeTimes.
Dr. Sagan was Popular TV in YesterYear .

In YesterYear nine year olds were attempting to Master The Square.
There were no Video Games! They had paper, pencil and a Stick!
(off topic)
Snake, Snake, Snake, Snake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5D09s5X6U
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue May 10, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:If it started eight years ago doesn't it mean this is now the thread to remind us we're living in the past?

8 year old news still seemed futuristic to me!

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu May 12, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

Speaking of old news, here's a fucking web page.

Just a reminder of one core element of webpages: words.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 12, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

tl;dr

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri May 13, 2016 3:17 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Speaking of old news, here's a fucking web page.

Just a reminder of one core element of webpages: words.

It was actually interesting, despite lack of cruft. I've seen webpages these days where there's advertisements and...I couldn't find anything else. All cruft.

Whizbang wrote:tl;dr

Short attention span, huh? Well the web does a great job of teaching that.
In all fairness...

Return to “News & Articles”