The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Not much TO say besides that a regular teleporter seems like it would kill the original, along with being restored from a backup of your mind, and I can't see a way around this from anything anyones posted unless you use a transporter (which by it's nature transfers your mind rather than creates a copy).
It's part of your body, not your clones, and therefore when you're teleporter you die because a new body is made from your atoms, rather than your one being moved across. Your life ends, your clone's begins, cut and paste, etc.

I mean, post why you think that's wrong now and I'll reply, but so far everything we've said can't really be proved wrong since we're disagreeing on the most fundamental part of this (whether your conscious perception of the world ends upon teleportation), and it's equal parts belief and science.
So... in a society with teleporters, is saying you die every time you teleport a meaningful use of the word die? I mean, you're "clinically dead" any time between dematerilazing and rematerializing anyway, but is that an objection to the technology then?

It's obvious you don't have conscious perception during any time when you aren't fully formed at some location. But how is the transported exact copy in any way not you? How does the transportation process differ from, say, sleep or unconsciousness where you are (temporarily) no longer aware?

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Because you're still alive when asleep or unconscious, and have still got awareness on a basic level, if you count knowing instinctually that you need to breathe and keep your heart beating awareness, and I do.
Xeio wrote:So... in a society with teleporters, is saying you die every time you teleport a meaningful use of the word die? I mean, you're "clinically dead" any time between dematerilazing and rematerializing anyway, but is that an objection to the technology then?
Not really, you can use it if you want (I won't, however), but that's not what we're discussing. We're debating whether or not a standard teleporter kills you.
Also, yeah, just because people would be dieing a lot due to a common cause doesn't make the death not count.
Signatures are for chumps.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Shivahn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Because you're still alive when asleep or unconscious, and have still got awareness on a basic level, if you count knowing instinctually that you need to breathe and keep your heart beating awareness, and I do.


Just so you know, you can do this without most of your brain. In fact, your heart "knows" keeps beating after being removed from the body. And sometimes after being cut up. I don't think it's a particularly useful definition of "awareness" or "knowing," and runs into all the problems with other common definitions (as well as becoming messy when discussing transplants.)

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Because you're still alive when asleep or unconscious, and have still got awareness on a basic level, if you count knowing instinctually that you need to breathe and keep your heart beating awareness, and I do.
Ok, yea, I disagree there then. I see no difference between teleporting and going to sleep and waking up as far as being conscious/aware are concerned.

Plus it'd be waaaaaay to convenient to fret something so small that I don't percieve.

On a side note, does this also apply to other scifi oddities like stasis as well where your life signs are effectively stopped for an indeterminate amount of time?

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

I think the relevant difference is that in sleep your brain continues to function, at all levels but in different ways than while awake, and in a teleporter your brain is disassembled and ceases to exist in any way for some amount of time.

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Plus it'd be waaaaaay to convenient to fret something so small that I don't percieve.
There's the problem though, you -don't- perceive anything ever again. You'd die and a copy, completely identical in all but having your own, unique, individual mind, would be made. (but it would have a copy)
You'd die upon the teleportation, unless a method that explicitly transfers your mind was made.
Xeio wrote:Ok, yea, I disagree there then. I see no difference between teleporting and going to sleep and waking up as far as being conscious/aware are concerned.

What Iulus said.
Xeio wrote:On a side note, does this also apply to other scifi oddities like stasis as well where your life signs are effectively stopped for an indeterminate amount of time?
No, you're still alive there, you just stop percieving things temporarily (and start again upon coming out) rather than dying for good.
Shivahn wrote:Just so you know, you can do this without most of your brain. In fact, your heart "knows" keeps beating after being removed from the body. And sometimes after being cut up. I don't think it's a particularly useful definition of "awareness" or "knowing," and runs into all the problems with other common definitions (as well as becoming messy when discussing transplants.)
Ah, didn't know that, but two things:
1) You're still alive, so I'd count it.
2) How does it get messy when coming to transplants?
Signatures are for chumps.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:You'd die upon the teleportation, unless a method that explicitly transfers your mind was made.
You already defined such a thing out of existence because any transfer would cause said temporary void of consciousness...

Box Boy wrote:
Xeio wrote:On a side note, does this also apply to other scifi oddities like stasis as well where your life signs are effectively stopped for an indeterminate amount of time?
No, you're still alive there, you just stop percieving things temporarily (and start again upon coming out) rather than dying for good.
So consciousness is explicitly tied to the atoms that make up your body? You sound inconsistent here, first you say it has to do with being alive (stasis, presumably would stop any such state), but now that even if you aren't technically alive, you'd still be the same consciousness when un-stasified?

If I put someone in stasis, disassemble them, and reassemble them from the component atoms are they still the same person or different? Are you saying that just because they happen to be in one "piece" they're the same no matter what else happens?

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

I'm saying so long as they don't explicitly get killed they're still alive, or, for the purpose of this, in a non-death state, and thus are the same person.
Taking them apart atomically will -always- kill them, which is why a teleporter which can't shift you wholesale kills you, while lightspeed travel doesn't, for example.
Xeio wrote:You already defined such a thing out of existence because any transfer would cause said temporary void of consciousness...
Not any transfer, just ones that don't store your mind and transfer it rather than cut and paste it.

EDIT: Yeah, so long as they remain in one piece and get revived from their original body they're still them, or, rather, so long as it's the original brain (although wear and tear resting in brain damage from the ordeal doesn't make them a different being, it just changes them) it's the same person.
Signatures are for chumps.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Shivahn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Just so you know, you can do this without most of your brain. In fact, your heart "knows" keeps beating after being removed from the body. And sometimes after being cut up. I don't think it's a particularly useful definition of "awareness" or "knowing," and runs into all the problems with other common definitions (as well as becoming messy when discussing transplants.)
Ah, didn't know that, but two things:
1) You're still alive, so I'd count it.
2) How does it get messy when coming to transplants?

Well, I guess the thing is that if your heart is transplanted, it still knows to beat. It gets some signals from the rest of the body, but.. it's actually still your nervous tissue causing the pulsing. Also, if you get a pacemaker, then *that* is what knows to beat, not your brain. And we don't consider you to be aware in the first case, and to be not aware in the second case, so "knowing" how to cause basic functions like that can be neither necessary nor sufficient for awareness.

As for the first point, that just seems... weird to me. You're alive and your heart is beating doesn't logically lead to "you are aware." The circuit for cardiovascular and respiratory functions are ancient and, while they can be overridden by higher functions, they can also proceed with what is presumably little awareness, as they're buried deep in the brainstem. So I'd consider them segregated.
Last edited by Shivahn on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Oh, I thought you meant it raised ethical questions about transplanting organs.
Alright, I'll also concede to that point.
Signatures are for chumps.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

You said this:
Box Boy wrote:Because you're still alive when asleep or unconscious, and have still got awareness on a basic level, if you count knowing instinctually that you need to breathe and keep your heart beating awareness, and I do.

but then you said this:
Box Boy wrote:Yeah, so long as they remain in one piece and get revived from their original body they're still them, or, rather, so long as it's the original brain (although wear and tear resting in brain damage from the ordeal doesn't make them a different being, it just changes them) it's the same person.

and it seems contradictory. How does the stream of consciousness persist through disassembly, if "basic awareness" is what keeps it there? Why do you assume this stream of consciousness even exists, if we can explain people perfectly well without it?

User avatar
Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Qaanol » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

Guys, take it to a new thread please. I strongly suspect discussing continuity of existence falls outside the scope of N&A.
wee free kings

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Not any transfer, just ones that don't store your mind and transfer it rather than cut and paste it.
There is no difference. Once you break something down to store it, you can unstore it as many times as you want. This is like arguing you can only transfer data, rather than copy it, the process is the same either way. So there is no form of teleportation that would not be ruled out by that.

Unless by "store" you mean cut out your brain, put it in a box, and ship it snail-mail to the destination, but I wouldn't call that teleportation anymore..

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Well, I guess the thing is that if your heart is transplanted, it still knows to beat. It gets some signals from the rest of the body, but.. it's actually still your nervous tissue causing the pulsing. Also, if you get a pacemaker, then *that* is what knows to beat, not your brain. And we don't consider you to be aware in the first case, and to be not aware in the second case, so "knowing" how to cause basic functions like that can be neither necessary nor sufficient for awareness.

When you give someone a heart transplant, their heart is no longer innervated - if you exercise with a transplant your heart doesn't actually start beating faster (though it automatically beats more strongly due to intrinsic properties of the muscle). The heart generates its own currents - in a normal person these currents are sped up or slowed down by the nerves, but they don't actually cause the heart to beat.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Shivahn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Angua wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Well, I guess the thing is that if your heart is transplanted, it still knows to beat. It gets some signals from the rest of the body, but.. it's actually still your nervous tissue causing the pulsing. Also, if you get a pacemaker, then *that* is what knows to beat, not your brain. And we don't consider you to be aware in the first case, and to be not aware in the second case, so "knowing" how to cause basic functions like that can be neither necessary nor sufficient for awareness.

When you give someone a heart transplant, their heart is no longer innervated - if you exercise with a transplant your heart doesn't actually start beating faster (though it automatically beats more strongly due to intrinsic properties of the muscle). The heart generates its own currents - in a normal person these currents are sped up or slowed down by the nerves, but they don't actually cause the heart to beat.


Unless I'm horribly misinformed, the beating is kept going (and in rhythym) by the sinoatrial node. Which I think is moved during transplants.

Am I horribly misinformed?

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Diadem » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Box Boy wrote:Well, yeah, I don't think consciousness is anything specially detached to the body or that it's spiritual - but I DO think that being broken down to the molecular level and having those molecules made into an exact replica kills 'you' and creates a new being, albeit an identical one.
This is simply inconsistent though. If consciousness if part of the body, it is part of a perfect copy. So it doesn't kill you. Anyway you keep repeating the same thing, but you ignore all the arguments raised against your position. Please reply to my previous post about AIs and information.

Not much TO say besides that a regular teleporter seems like it would kill the original, along with being restored from a backup of your mind, and I can't see a way around this from anything anyones posted unless you use a transporter (which by it's nature transfers your mind rather than creates a copy).

You're still completely ignoring my AI analogy. Why according to you are humans different from computer programs. Where is this difference? Remember we've already excluded supernatural causes. You're going to have to come up with something physical.

Not much TO say besides that a regular teleporter seems like it would kill the original, along with being restored from a backup of your mind, and I can't see a way around this from anything anyones posted unless you use a transporter (which by it's nature transfers your mind rather than creates a copy).

I think a better word [than killed] would be destroyed. Again, look at a computer program. If I make a backup of a program, then delete the original, have I truly deleted the program? No, I haven't. It still exists. Just in a different location. I've merely deleted the original copy. It's the same for teleportation. Yes I destroy the original, and you may call that 'killed' if you wish. But the person is still there, it hasn't been killed.

Box Boy wrote:I mean, post why you think that's wrong now and I'll reply, but so far everything we've said can't really be proved wrong since we're disagreeing on the most fundamental part of this (whether your conscious perception of the world ends upon teleportation), and it's equal parts belief and science.

No, it's not equal parts belief and science. We already agreed on our beliefs. We both agree that there are no supernatural effects. All the rest is pure science and logic. Mostly logic. The problem is that you seem to fail to grasp the fundamental nature of information, which is that while it is carried by something physical, it is not a physical thing in and of itself, and thus not dependent on the medium. The same information is the same information independent of the location it is stored, and the number of copies.

Qaanol wrote:Guys, take it to a new thread please. I strongly suspect discussing continuity of existence falls outside the scope of N&A.

I'm sure a mod will eventually come along and split it. If they don't then apparently this discussion is ok :)

Radical_Initiator wrote:
zmatt wrote:Molecules are not subject to uncertainty.
They're not?

Well most molecules are too big to be really affected by quantum effects. You can threat them as classical particles. Of course that's an approximation, a pretty good one, but still you wouldn't create an exact copy of your body if you copied it on a molecular level. This might not be relevant, certainly for your muscle tissue etc it doesn't matter. But for your brain, your consciousness? I'd argue that we simply do not know enough about how exactly the brain works and how memory and consciousness are stored to answer that question.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:36 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
Angua wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Well, I guess the thing is that if your heart is transplanted, it still knows to beat. It gets some signals from the rest of the body, but.. it's actually still your nervous tissue causing the pulsing. Also, if you get a pacemaker, then *that* is what knows to beat, not your brain. And we don't consider you to be aware in the first case, and to be not aware in the second case, so "knowing" how to cause basic functions like that can be neither necessary nor sufficient for awareness.

When you give someone a heart transplant, their heart is no longer innervated - if you exercise with a transplant your heart doesn't actually start beating faster (though it automatically beats more strongly due to intrinsic properties of the muscle). The heart generates its own currents - in a normal person these currents are sped up or slowed down by the nerves, but they don't actually cause the heart to beat.


Unless I'm horribly misinformed, the beating is kept going (and in rhythym) by the sinoatrial node. Which I think is moved during transplants.

Am I horribly misinformed?
You're not misinformed, just lacking in a piece of information - the sinoatrial node is made of heart muscle tissue, not nerves.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Shivahn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:06 am UTC

Oh right. Duh. I'm embarrassed :oops:

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Wait, I'm still confused: what the hell is boba fett doing alive after he was eaten by a sarlaac?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Eseell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Re: Boba Fett:
Spoiler:
In the expanded universe Boba Fett is a badass who killed the Sarlacc using his armor's onboard weapons systems, then escaped from its stomach. See The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Eseell wrote:Re: Boba Fett:
Spoiler:
In the expanded universe, Boba Fett is a badass who killed the Sarlacc using his armor's onboard weapons systems, then escaped from its stomach. See The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter.


Spoiler:
So, basically, some writer decided Fett was too good a character to let him die like a bitch, and decided to retcon him out of the inescapable pit.
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Eseell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Eseell wrote:Re: Boba Fett:
Spoiler:
In the expanded universe, Boba Fett is a badass who killed the Sarlacc using his armor's onboard weapons systems, then escaped from its stomach. See The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter.


Spoiler:
So, basically, some writer decided Fett was too good a character to let him die like a bitch, and decided to retcon him out of the inescapable pit.

Spoiler:
Sure, but it's totally worth it because Karen Traviss wrote a bunch of good books that feature him and other Mandalorians.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10186
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby addams » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:21 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110411/ap_on_hi_te/eu_netherlands_sunless_farming
completely indoor farms! :D

So cool and so possible. It could be that one day, high rise apartment buildings could have gardens on the inside and living space on the outside.
Such a nice peaceful life.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Aikanaro
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm UTC
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Eseell wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:
Eseell wrote:Re: Boba Fett:
[spoiler]In the expanded universe, Boba Fett is a badass who killed the Sarlacc using his armor's onboard weapons systems, then escaped from its stomach. See The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter.


Spoiler:
So, basically, some writer decided Fett was too good a character to let him die like a bitch, and decided to retcon him out of the inescapable pit.

Spoiler:
Sure, but it's totally worth it because Karen Traviss wrote a bunch of good books that feature him and other Mandalorians.

Spoiler:
Personally, I really dislike that particular trilogy, though I liked the version of him done in Tales from Jabba's Palace, where it actually explains how he blasted his way out of the Sarlacc. Protip: Don't eat things carrying high explosives and/or wearing jetpacks, it'll give new meaning to the word "indigestion." Also, the version of him in The Last Man Standing is pure awesome. And remember kids, DON'T DO DRUGS, or Boba Fett will be angry!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

quantropy
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:55 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby quantropy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

1: Quantum teleportation is possible
2: Quantum theory is either nonlocal or closely related to consciousness (Bell's theorem (my version))
3: There is no evidence for nonlocal transmission of information
4: Quantum theory has a no-cloning theorem

Conclusion: Transportation of consciousness is possible, but cloning consciousness is not.

User avatar
TheChewanater
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:24 am UTC
Location: lol why am I still wearing a Santa suit?

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby TheChewanater » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

I deleted your post because it broke the thread. Preview next time. -Hawk
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby netcrusher88 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Holy crap what happened to the CSS?

Star Trek transporters do an end-run around the Ship of Theseus problem. According to the TNG Technical Manual the Annular Confinement Beam freezes activity at a quantum level then the thing moves the actual material to a new place, preserving the exact quantum state. It's roughly identical to the way the Stargate works (except those are faster and speedy-thing-goes-in-speedy-thing-comes-out - I think the transporter cancels momentum, or maybe that's only sometimes). If consciousness is tied to the physical body, there is no death - it's never destroyed, just serialized. If it's not - well, same thing. The transporter has more in common with suspended animation than a firing squad.

Personally I like the idea of assembler gates in Stross's Glasshouse. They won't fix the problem, quite the opposite, but they're still cool. They work by placing the subject in suspended animation, then disassembling them at a quantum level after which they can be reassembled, stored, or put in a new body (design of body at the prospective inhabitant's discretion). Or two. Or three or more or whatever. Which are all essentially one person and whose memories can later be merged.

A-gates: fuck philosophy. King Theseus wants an armada.

...I kind of forgot what the thread was about.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
Woofsie
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:11 pm UTC
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Woofsie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:...I kind of forgot what the thread was about.

Hint: It's not what the last 3 pages have been about.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Holy crap what happened to the CSS?

Star Trek transporters do an end-run around the Ship of Theseus problem. According to the TNG Technical Manual the Annular Confinement Beam freezes activity at a quantum level then the thing moves the actual material to a new place, preserving the exact quantum state. It's roughly identical to the way the Stargate works (except those are faster and speedy-thing-goes-in-speedy-thing-comes-out - I think the transporter cancels momentum, or maybe that's only sometimes).


In the new Star Trek movie we learn that the transporter cancels out momentum when Kirk and Sulu are transported while falling from a great height.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 am UTC

Oh gods, who broke the thread?

User avatar
KrO2
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby KrO2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:55 am UTC

Maybe we should get back to reminding Felstaff that we live in the future? Because we do. Did you ever stop to think about how crazy it is that we've been to the moon?

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Shivahn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:29 am UTC

I haven't. But I am communicating using a touch screen device with people in Australia. The device is not plugged into anything. Also it can't weigh more than a few ounces and is about a centimeter thin.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Diadem » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 am UTC

That really hit me a few weeks back (not long after I had just gotten my smartphone). I was sitting in the train, reading the XKCD forum, following the debate between several people about Libya. And I suddenly realized "Wait a sec, I'm here, in The Netherlands, and I'm following a debate between people from all over the world about life events in yet another part of the world. Fuck, but that is awesome".

The best thing is. We've only just begun to scratch the surface. Computers will get faster, better, cheaper. Communication will get faster still. Software will get smarter, requiring less and less input to solve your queries. More and more data will become accessible for more and more people in ever easier ways. The next major step will be integration with your brain. We're already making major steps in this. It won't be long before we can talk to our smartphone using our brain. Imagine how fast we will be able to browse and access information then. I'm in the middle of nowhere, I have no idea where I am, and I'll just have to think "Where am I" and my phone will show me map of my neighbourhood with my exact location. Then I think 'pizza' and it will plot a course to the nearest pizza restaurants, complete with reviews and prices.

The other way around (computers communicating directly with our brain) will probably take a lot longer to develop (if it's possible at all). But we don't even need that to be able to do utterly insanely cool things. Fuck smartphones, and all that hassle of having to get them out of your pockets or bag all the time (with risk of dropping them). Just give me a 3 by 5 inch wristscreen. With terabits of broadband connection to the internet and more computing power than a than the kind of clusters IBM now build, that I can give commands with my mind.

I'm convinced I'll see that during my lifetime.

And that's not enough the most exiting thing. The most exiting things are the things noone has thought of yet, because we haven't even begun to imagine them yet. But in a few decades, we'll have those too.

Hell yeah, we're living in the future. But the future will be even better tomorrow!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Eseell » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:58 am UTC

The flexible wrist-screen thing is happening right now. Because we're living in the future.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Eseell wrote:The flexible wrist-screen thing is happening right now. Because we're living in the future.

OLED monitors are commercially available, right?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Randomizer
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am UTC
Location: My walls are full of hungry wolves.
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Randomizer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:16 am UTC

I tried checking for OLEDs, but couldn't find any. From what I can tell Sony and LG used to have some small ones available for a lot of money, but not anymore. I think there were problems with the lifespan being too short and it being too hard to make large screens. Dunno when companies will be selling this stuff again.

On a different note, no idea what this stuff is good for, but considering I originally thought this video was CGI generated because "no material acts like that", I'd say it's pretty futuristic. :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5Zzm2T ... re=related Here's one explaining how it (ferrofluid) works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvtUt02z ... re=related

Then there's this really cool stuff, memory metal (nitinol), but it's been out for about 50 years and I've only just today heard about it. :|
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby bentheimmigrant » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 am UTC

Eseell wrote:The flexible wrist-screen thing is happening right now. Because we're living in the future.

I like how, with pretty much any new stuff, people are saying: Hey, we're working on this new tech. We should totally strap it to a soldier and see if it makes them better at killing people.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:30 am UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:
Eseell wrote:The flexible wrist-screen thing is happening right now. Because we're living in the future.

I like how, with pretty much any new stuff, people are saying: Hey, we're working on this new tech. We should totally strap it to a soldier and see if it makes them better at killing people.

On the one hand, it's a shame that that's our immediate reaction. On the other hand, that reaction usually speeds along the progress of technology seeing as government funding advances said technology quite rapidly.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Woofsie
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:11 pm UTC
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Woofsie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 am UTC

True, it's just sad that the government is far more likely to fund new technology if it can be used to help kill people.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am UTC

Woofsie wrote:True, it's just sad that the government is far more likely to fund new technology if it can be used to help kill people.

Well, not always.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests