The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:How long do you think the Tesla will be able to keep playing Space Oddity?

Station To Station? Slow Burn and Time Will Crawl, Day-In Day-Out for Golden Years. Under Pressure, though, maybe just One Shot until Tonight, Miracle Goodnight, then it's Time.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm UTC

I'd imagine the vacuum and radiation of space would damage the radio or other components. If not, the car's battery should last for quite some time before the radio drains it.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 pm UTC

Wasn't it supposed to go towards Mars, but is now en route to the asteroid belt?

They'll need to have a fix for the car's SatNav before the next launch.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am UTC

They'll need to have a fix for the car's SatNav before the next launch.

I think that they won't launch this car again, but keep it up there.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:57 pm UTC

Hmm, an 'accidental' launch towards the Asteroid Belt, eh? The billionaire techno-maverick with his own private space program looks more and more like Malenfent in Stephen Baxter's Time. Any news on GM squids?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

It is definitely a good thing it was a Tesla put up there. Can you imagine how hard it would be to have to change the oil every 15000km?

Also keep an eye out for ads which will soon be able to mention that their cars, on average, have a very impressive range on a single charge.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:It is definitely a good thing it was a Tesla put up there. Can you imagine how hard it would be to have to change the oil every 15000km?

Also keep an eye out for ads which will soon be able to mention that their cars, on average, have a very impressive range on a single charge.

Lol
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:33 pm UTC

How do I upvote this?
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm UTC

Like this: :lol:
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:Also keep an eye out for ads which will soon be able to mention that their cars, on average, have a very impressive range on a single charge.
Considering the fuel used to get it into space, what's the MPG rating?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:06 am UTC

ucim wrote:Considering the fuel used to get it into space, what's the MPG rating?

Jose

Getting better every second! I don't know how fast it is going, but for a first approximation I'll use the 11.2km/s from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity, so let's say about 25,000 MPH, the thing has been up there for a couple days now hasn't it? so maybe a million miles or so, While I didn't look very hard, I couldn't find the fuel load in gallons, but I'd bet 100,000 gallons is in the ballpark.
While by todays standards 10MPG is pathetic, for a grossly overpowered muscle car it's not so bad, and by the end of the month it will make a Prius look like a fuel guzzler.
At least it isn't running on electricity from a coal fueled power plant. :roll:

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 am UTC

IIRC, the original moon landing was something on the order of six inches per gallon. The moon is about 240000 miles away, and it took nearly 1 million gallons of kerosene, oxygen, and hydrogen to get there and back.

1 ft per gallon if you ignore the oxygen.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:IIRC, the original moon landing was something on the order of six inches per gallon. The moon is about 240000 miles away, and it took nearly 1 million gallons of kerosene, oxygen, and hydrogen to get there and back.

1 ft per gallon if you ignore the oxygen.

Something don't seem quite right about your figures. According to my calculations it was not 240,000 miles to the moon but 1.267 billion feet. While I'm not saying that that is good mileage, it seems like about 1267 ft to the gallon.
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 pm UTC

Oh woops, stupid me.

nicholasbrooks

Postby nicholasbrooks » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:It is definitely a good thing it was a Tesla put up there. Can you imagine how hard it would be to have to change the oil every 15000km?

I totally agree with this, battery range is the #1 concern of EV buyers. This study on tesla and their range is pretty interesting https://www.autolist.com/tesla#section=news&s=a i guarantee that as soon as most car makers on average can boast a 500+ mile range we will see commercials everywhere (and people actually driving them!)

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

That's one of the reasons I really love having a Chevy Volt. On average I stay within a pretty small radius, so my electric range of 40-50 miles gets me through most of the time. But then I also have an 8 gallon gas tank and somewhere in the realm of 40mpg, so I can still take road trips and not have to worry about things like finding charging stations along the way.

Aside from the price one of the main reasons I didn't really want a Tesla was because I know I take long trips occasionally and I didn't want to deal with those logistics.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm UTC

The robot uprising has begun.

SAN FRANCISCO — A woman in Tempe, Ariz., has died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on a public road.

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode happened on Sunday around 10 p.m. The woman was not publicly identified.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 pm UTC

"...but the theory is sound!"
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:"...but the theory is sound!"

How many non-autonomous cars hit pedestrians yesterday? I imagine the number is a lot higher than 1.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm UTC

According to a quote from Uber, and of course we should wait to see the footage for it to be confirmed, she stepped out of the shadows right into the car's path. Pretty much impossible to program an autonomous vehicle to avoid killing someone in that situation.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 pm UTC

But how many are on the road?

Most people are not axe wielding maniacs named Steve. If there were equal numbers of Steve's and not Steve's, and everyone not Steve killed more than everyone Steve, we could argue that axe wielding maniacs named Steve are less dangerous than the average. But if there is only one Steve and he killed one person, he is far more dangerous than the average.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But how many are on the road?

Most people are not axe wielding maniacs named Steve. If there were equal numbers of Steve's and not Steve's, and everyone not Steve killed more than everyone Steve, we could argue that axe wielding maniacs named Steve are less dangerous than the average. But if there is only one Steve and he killed one person, he is far more dangerous than the average.

Or Steve is a lumberjack and Not Steves are hippies jumping under the tree/Axe as it falls.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 pm UTC

Except I don't jump in front of trees, but I do walk across streets, so I'm going to care more about one than the other.

And off topic, but hippies chaining themselves to trees; good or bad?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But how many are on the road?

Even if you corrected for the relative distribution of autonomous/non-autonomous cars, I'm pretty sure the autonomous ones are still safer even with this one death.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Except I don't jump in front of trees, but I do walk across streets, so I'm going to care more about one than the other.

You're not suppose to jump in front of cars without looking both ways for traffic... So says big auto AI. It could be that the woman did everything right, and the car is a murder bot. But I'd bet that it's the pedestrian's fault. Maybe 80% since it's not Tesla nor bad street conditions.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

I think we have the same bias in that we agree that Tesla is better than Uber. Uber comes across as being run by assholes that would make a fortune by releasing a murderbot and then justify themselves with pseudo-libertarian nonsense about free markets.

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm UTC

Tempe police Sgt. Ronald Elcock said local authorities haven’t drawn any conclusions about who is at fault but urged people to use crosswalks. He told reporters at a news conference Monday the Uber vehicle was traveling around 40 mph when it hit Helzberg immediately as she stepped on to the street.

The pedestrian was crossing without a crosswalk, at 10PM (so presumably in the dark), and was hit "immediately" which sounds like a situation where a human driver may not have been able to avoid it either.
Of course, between the cameras and all the other data recorded by the vehicle, plus the NTSB coming in to help investigate, there should be a solid determination of fault before too long.

I liked this quote also from that article:
“We should be concerned about automated driving,” Smith said. “We should be terrified about human driving.”

(link)

UPDATE just after I posted that, I found this article which, while not an official ruling yet, does support the assumption that it wasn't vehicle error:
Police have viewed footage from two of the vehicle’s cameras, one facing forward toward the street, and the other inside the car facing the driver. Based on the footage, Moir said that the driver had little time to react. “The driver said it was like a flash, the person walked out in front of them,” she said. “His first alert to the collision was the sound of the collision.”

She added, “It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode [autonomous or human-driven] based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway.”

speising

Postby speising » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

i'd like to know why the car went 40 in a 35mph zone.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm UTC

35 is "around 40"
He/Him/His Image

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

Yep. I mean, I'll rag on autonomous driving from sunup to sundown, but in fairness, the number of drivers who actually travel at the speed limit and not 5-over is just plain statistically insignificant.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:44 pm UTC

The same day this happened almost 3,000 other people also died in car accidents.

“We should be concerned about automated driving,” Smith said. “We should be terrified about human driving.”

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Except I don't jump in front of trees, but I do walk across streets, so I'm going to care more about one than the other.

If a human sees someone walking on a sidewalk that is not near any crosswalks and frequently looking over their shoulder, they could by stopping near the pedestrian, flashing their high-beams and slow down if the pedestrian runs across, or slow to a speed that is easier to stop at.

If a AI sees someone walking on a sidewalk that is not near any crosswalks and frequently looking over their shoulder, it would consider this data irrelevant and would continue operating as if the pedestrian was not there. Sure, someone could program the AI to respond differently in this situation, but there is no way for a person would be able to predict every situation that could possible happen.

P.S. [The relationship between humans and the environment] is a complex, multifaceted issue that requires extensive study just to begin to understand, so any binary question on this issue is inherently inaccurate. Fun fact: substitute the bracketed section to get my opinion on political parties, abortion, campaign finance, taxes, the Middle East, terrorism, gun control, racism, Islam*, methods to generate energy, college costs, sexism, and hate speech. Pretty much everything except Trump.

*By this I mean how some people use Islam to justify actions and institutions that many people find objectionable (e.g. women cannot drive).

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

elasto wrote:The same day this happened almost 3,000 other people also died in car accidents.

The accidents-per-mile ratios do NOT look good for the autonomous vehicles so far, and consider that the autonomous vehicles are mostly driving in ideal conditions, not snow, rain, crowded areas... Self-driving cars work great in the lab but they are a long ways off working in the wide variety of conditions in the real world. (Just like every other so called AI 'breakthrough' that we're told is gonna happen)
lol everything matters
-Ed

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm UTC

duckshirt wrote:The accidents-per-mile ratios do NOT look good for the autonomous vehicles so far

Citation? Everything I've read says the opposite, even including this accident - and it seems like this particular accident would have occurred with a human driver too.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:Yep. I mean, I'll rag on autonomous driving from sunup to sundown, but in fairness, the number of drivers who actually travel at the speed limit and not 5-over is just plain statistically insignificant.

yeah, for humans, sure, but it's strange that the autonomous car was programmed do emulate this.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 pm UTC

I'm guessing that it probably tries to match the speed of the vehicles around them so as to not impede traffic.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

speising wrote:i'd like to know why the car went 40 in a 35mph zone.

Answer "it's a car".

Blending in with human driving straight up requires at least some minor rules fudging to not be disruptive. People drive marginally over the speed limit pretty frequently.

This doesn't seem like something caused by the autonomous driving. More of "the autonomous driving was unable to prevent this accident", while probably doing pretty good at preventing many other accidents. Unassisted drivers hit pedestrians in shadow on non-crosswalk areas all the time.

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 pm UTC

If the speed limit is actually 35 there, it was a relatively recent change. By following the Google Street View of that road, at the time they took street view images last (July 2017) then the last speed limit sign passed by the car (and therefore the "posted" limit at that point) was a 45mph sign just a few hundred yards before. Perhaps it was recently changed and the data was not yet updated?

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:20 am UTC

elasto wrote:
duckshirt wrote:The accidents-per-mile ratios do NOT look good for the autonomous vehicles so far

Citation? Everything I've read says the opposite, even including this accident - and it seems like this particular accident would have occurred with a human driver too.

In 2016 there were only 1.16 fatalities per 100 miles. Uber and Waymo claim 2 million and 4 million miles so far respectively, so that's 1 fatality in 6 million between the two. Related article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 0de21ad97a

And in addition, autonomous vehicles are mainly driving in ideal conditions, not rain/snow/fog where they are still not good.
lol everything matters
-Ed

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:50 am UTC

elasto wrote:

Maybe I'm just misreading their role, but...I mean, there *was* a human driver behind the wheel in this case, and they were unable to prevent the accident, yes? Not actively piloting the car, but there, among other things, to potentially take over in the case of an impending accident?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Return to “News & Articles”