Predator vision

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sockmonkey

Predator vision

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

So, who wants infrared contact lenses?
http://phys.org/news/2014-03-thermal-vi ... -span.html
http://gizmodo.com/graphene-could-give- ... 1545466030
Carbon is the Mary Sue of elements.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Predator vision

Postby Whizbang » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

I think, better than contact lenses which take time and effort to put on, glasses would be better. This would allow you to quickly switch back and forth between normal vision and infrared. I imaging the transition lenses used today would become much more popular if they turned to sunglasses in bright light, regular/clear glasses in regular light, and infrared glasses in low light.

Unless, somehow, the infrared lense doesn't affect regular vision?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Maybe an addon for Google Glass? Tiny infrared camera mounted on the top?

"Glass, activate infrared mode!"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:05 am UTC

This is reminiscent of every single article about bending light with metamaterials jumping right to OMGZORZ INVISIBILITY CLOAK! Considering that IR cameras still generally run to tens of thousands of dollars, I wouldn't hold my breath about anyone packing all that tech into something thin enough to wear directly on your eyeball any time soon.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 am UTC

Well thousands for thermal hunting rifle scopes. Some getting down to $1400ish but really not worth it. Thermal =/= IR.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Predator vision is thermal.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:This is reminiscent of every single article about bending light with metamaterials jumping right to OMGZORZ INVISIBILITY CLOAK! Considering that IR cameras still generally run to tens of thousands of dollars, I wouldn't hold my breath about anyone packing all that tech into something thin enough to wear directly on your eyeball any time soon.

Yes! It drives me nuts that everyone sees a cool tech, and immediately skips over the vast amount of R&D necessary(that may be entirely impractical) to bring it to market. I suppose it's something like the promised hovercars of ages past. Yeah, I guess you CAN make a car sized object hover, but the barriers between that and the Jetsons are....significant.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

So... Infrared contacts are about ten years away?

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Predator vision is thermal.

Yes. However this is IR. You would need several layers and I can't see(no pun intended) how it would work without a processing unit for Thermal.
Therefor this is not for predator vision, just for IR, increasing the range of visible light and even then you'd probably still need a good IR light source.

Interesting note: most cameras already pick up IR light. Try pointing your remote at your phone.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:24 am UTC

Thermal vision eye contacts require cold eyes.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 am UTC

Am I the only one who thought the Predator's constant thermal vision was a massive liability?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Predator vision is thermal.
Yes. However this is IR.
And I'm not questioning the claim that folks have come up with a new way to detect IR. I was taking issue with the immediate leap to predator vision contacts in most of the news stories.

(Yes, I said IR before but with pricing for FLIR-type thermal imaging. Apologies for that mistake.)
---

(he/him/his)

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:22 am UTC

That's why I wanted to make sure the distinction was clear. Many people think they are the same.

IR is basically seeing things with an alternate, normally invisible light.
Thermal detects the heat energy output of an object.
Thermal doesn't work though water or glass, but IR can as long as there isn't glare, but that's the same issue with normal vision.
Thermal is great for hunting/war because it's doesn't need a light source and heat isn't common from non-living non-mechanical objects.
IR is great for pathing in low normal light or when you don't want to be too be too obvious, and is generally better than a spot light if you are looking for something in the dark. But usually it still needs a light source and other people with an IR camera can also detect your light source.

Google glass could fairly easily be changed to an IR filter.

Actually a great use for this IR would be a car window screen, allowing IR night driving.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:That's why I wanted to make sure the distinction was clear. Many people think they are the same.

IR is basically seeing things with an alternate, normally invisible light.
Thermal detects the heat energy output of an object.
Thermal doesn't work though water or glass, but IR can as long as there isn't glare, but that's the same issue with normal vision.
Thermal is great for hunting/war because it's doesn't need a light source and heat isn't common from non-living non-mechanical objects.
IR is great for pathing in low normal light or when you don't want to be too be too obvious, and is generally better than a spot light if you are looking for something in the dark. But usually it still needs a light source and other people with an IR camera can also detect your light source.

Google glass could fairly easily be changed to an IR filter.

Actually a great use for this IR would be a car window screen, allowing IR night driving.

I thought thermal vision measures the heat output by measuring the emission of IR radiation, am I wrong?

On a more immediately applicable note, I'm sure there's quite some telescope and satellite designers excited by the prospect of IR sensors that don't have to be cooled to 4K.

Return to “News & Articles”