● On July 12th, Lights for Liberty will shine a light on the horrific abuses of the Trump administration in human detention camps. People will begin arriving at 7pm local time at locations around the nation. At five main locations, legislators, activists, and organizers will speak until 9pm. At 9pm local time, at every detention camp, and in cities, towns, and homes around America, a silent sea of candles will light up the nation.
○ El Paso, TX: where migrants are being housed under a bridge with no running water for months at a time
○ Homestead, FL: migrant child detention facility that has caused mass abuse and neglect
○ San Diego, CA: near the point of entry site from Tijuana
○ New York City (Foley Square) NY: where hundreds of migrants are processed through detention a day
○ Washington, DC (in front of the Capitol building): to demand action from Congress to end human detention and impeach the President.
● The U.S. government is perpetrating unconscionable atrocities upon legal asylum-seekers at sites all around the country:
○ teen mothers and babies held outdoors in “dog pounds”
○ sick and elderly confined to “icebox” rooms for weeks at a time
○ medicine confiscated and medical care withheld
○ children as young as 4 months taken from their parents.
○ LGBTQ and disabled individuals held in solitary confinement
● Refugees are beginning to be moved onto military grounds, where there will be a complete lack of oversight from the media, lawyers, human rights monitors, even drone flyovers.
● Lights for Liberty is being developed in alliance with communities most impacted by the abuse of our immigration system. We’re striving to work in solidarity with grassroots organizations both new and historic, those who are well-funded and those who are on a shoe-string budget.