The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

oxoiron

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby oxoiron » Thu May 01, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:(his lawyer is "Paul Ryan" too (prominent Republican congressman and vice presidential candidate in 2012, for those forgetting))
I can't tell if you actually believe that or if you are just pointing out the coincidence. I'm pretty sure those are different people.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Thu May 01, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The Castle Doctrine refers to your house only. Someone breaks into your home, you have no way of knowing whether they are there because they are starving or there to rape your family, so you can shoot them. In the garage? No, that's not a potential life or limb scenario.

What if your garage is part of your house?

(Not that I think it matters in this case the guy was just looking for an excuse to shoot people)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 01, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

They went outside to shoot into the garage. It's possible the garage was attached, but it's unlikely that he had reasonable belief that the kid was trying to harm him.

I think this sums up the shooter.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu May 01, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:(his lawyer is "Paul Ryan" too (prominent Republican congressman and vice presidential candidate in 2012, for those forgetting))
I can't tell if you actually believe that or if you are just pointing out the coincidence. I'm pretty sure those are different people.

Oh I know that his lawyer isn't the Congressman. I was just pointing out the coincidence.

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri May 02, 2014 11:11 am UTC

A popular Fort Worth veterinary clinic is under investigation after a family says instead of euthanizing their sick pet the vet secretly kept the dog alive for blood transfusions.

Fort Worth police, the city of Fort Worth and state investigators are involved in the investigation that started when a client of the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic found out his beloved pet, believed to have been euthanized, was alive.

Jamie and Marian Harris said they took their dog, a 5-year-old Leonberger named Sid, to the vet to be treated for a minor anal gland issue.

After undergoing treatment, the family claims Sid had trouble walking and the veterinarian told them he had a bad spine condition that would only worsen. Court documents said the family was told the best option was to put him to sleep. The couple and their son said their goodbyes and said they allowed the clinic to bury Sid on the vet's farm.

Six months later, the Harrises said they received a call from a veterinarian technician, Mary Brewer, who told them Sid was alive and being used for blood transfusions while being kept in a cage most of the day, surrounded by his urine and feces.

"I told her, 'He's still here,' and she's like, 'Can he walk?' and I said, 'Yeah, he's here waiting on you. If you came today, he'd walk out and jump in your car,'" said Brewer.

"It was like getting punched in the stomach and then some," said Marian Harris. "This has rocked our world. My kids are like, 'How does somebody do this?' How does this happen?"

The couple said they went to the clinic, found Sid and freed him.

State and local authorities went to the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic in the 5700 block of Lovell Avenue on Tuesday. Several of the animals there were seized as evidence in the investigation and placed in the custody of Fort Worth Animal Care and Control.

"I'm happy that something can be done and that people are listening, and that they can't get away with it no more," said Brewer.

Sid is home with the Harris family and being treated by other veterinarians. According to the Harrises' lawyer, doctors have determined he has mange, shows definite signs of being used for blood transfusions and shows evidence of being "abusively kenneled."

Neither the veterinarian nor anyone from the clinic has responded to NBC DFW's request for comment. Dr. Lou Tierce told the Star-Telegram the accusations against him are "all a bunch of hooey."

According to the Harris' lawyer the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners will meet in Austin. Although a date hasn't been set, the case is being treated as an emergency.

An investigator from the board is meeting with Fort Worth police and the Tarrant County district attorney Wednesday morning to determine whether any criminal animal abuse charges will be filed.

The Tarrant County Health Department is also involved in the case due to the unsanitary conditions at the clinic, according to the Harris' attorney.

UPDATE:

Camp Bowie Animal Clinic veterinarian, Dr. Lou Tierce, was arrested for animal cruelty after turning himself into Fort Worth police Wednesday night. He is now out on bond.

link

I think the other members of the clinic have to take some responsibility for not blowing the whistle sooner also.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 02, 2014 12:02 pm UTC

So let me see if I've got this straight;

The penalty for murder is death by lethal injection.
The penalty for trespass is death by shooting.
The penalty for resisting arrest is death by shooting.
The penalty for whistleblowing against the government is decades in prison.
The penalty for rape is anywhere from 10 years to a slap on the wrist depending on how white and/or rich you are.

Yeah ...
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 02, 2014 12:32 pm UTC

The penalty for rape used to be the death penalty. Of course, it was only applied to black men who raped white women. And by rape, it was really "any level of consent". That's assuming that the case would even make it beyond strange fruit.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

I should have mentioned Andy Lopez too.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

That's less fucked up, IMO. Kid buys toy that looks like real gun, kid takes off the one thing that identifies it as a toy, kid parades around with what looks like a real gun, police mistake it for a real gun, police reasonably believe that someone is running around with a real gun, police scream at kid, kid out of instinct turns around with gun, police mistake it for life-or-death situation, kid dies.

Don't buy toys that look like real guns. Really, we should have laws on the books stating that toys should never be mistakable for real guns. But that would hurt profits.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Well; he was given a toy gun, and was shot within seconds of the officer getting out of the car, but anyway we went through that late last year in the Police misbehaviour thread so I won't rehash it here.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

This seems to be right up your Alley.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ocent.html

A convoluted case at the very least.
The darker side? Yes. I think so.

Violent Sex becomes murder.
A sexually dominate woman, a subservient man and a cute room mate.

Where the heck did they get a cab driver from the Ivory Coast?
You may enjoy the unraveling of an international murder case.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

solune

Postby solune » Mon May 05, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:with whales, you kill one and have a shit ton of meat (well, more like an actual metric ton, but still, that's a lot of chicken per whale).

It'd be about a 100 tonnes of meat. But you would get close to a ton of shit.

Regarding migration : both buffalo and cows used to be migratory before we put them in pens ; salmon too.
In the south of France, where they used to migrate sheep up and down the moutains, they have started to truck them 200km to winter farms instead.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

So another Kony is running around northern Nigeria, with a group called Boko Haram. So far nearly 300 girls have been kidnapped/raped, and Nigeria is asking the rest of the world for assistance. What can actually be done?

engr

Postby engr » Wed May 14, 2014 3:11 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So another Kony is running around northern Nigeria, with a group called Boko Haram. So far nearly 300 girls have been kidnapped/raped, and Nigeria is asking the rest of the world for assistance. What can actually be done?

For what it's worth, I think it's one of these rare cases where international military intervention (under a request from Nigerian government) may actually be beneficial.
Although the pessimist in me thinks that we will still manage to fuck this up and kill more civilians in the process than we help.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 14, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So another Kony is running around northern Nigeria, with a group called Boko Haram. So far nearly 300 girls have been kidnapped/raped, and Nigeria is asking the rest of the world for assistance. What can actually be done?

We could use our outrageously vast network of spies, satellite photos, and surveillance to locate these people and let Nigeria know where to send the troops. Assuming that those folks are competent and worth what we're paying them, it shouldn't take more than a week, right?

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm UTC

And that's basically EXACTLY how that works.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 14, 2014 3:03 pm UTC

We could just send over a few predator drones. Seems like a good enough use for them.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

You've just got to pitch it right:
Mr. President, hundreds of youth have traveled to a terrorist training camp deep in the forests of Africa. They've converted to Islam and the organization they've joined is working to overthrow our strongest ally in the region. We must take decisive action immediately!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

I can't tell if you are being serious. First of all, while we have thousands of agents (probably), that doesn't mean we have thousands of agents in any particular country. Oh, and the people at the CIA are "officers", the plausibly deniable foreigners are "agents". I'd be surprised if we even had a few dozen agents in Nigeria. And Nigeria is a big place with 175 million people. As for agent effectiveness, there is nothing we can learn from an agent that Nigeria can't learn from it's own people. If Nigeria, what with the 175 million people in it can't figure out where Boko Haram are hiding, why do you think the CIA could?

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 14, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

Because that's what I pay them for?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed May 14, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

Samsung to 243 workers: "Soz for the cancer guys"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/14 ... r_workers/

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 15, 2014 6:28 pm UTC

Junkie arrested one minute and thirty two seconds after release from jail.
Dude called his mom, on the monitored jail phone, and told her to bring heroin when she picked him up. The revolving door of justice at work...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu May 15, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

Mom and son are both in jail charged with felony drug possession.

Go 'merica!
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 15, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

We only catch the dumb ones.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 am UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/us/am ... ?referrer=

Thousands of toddlers are being medicated for ADHD, despite a lack of diagnosis guidelines or research on the effects of the medications on toddlers.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 am UTC

Heisenberg wrote:

We could use our outrageously vast network of spies, satellite photos, and surveillance to locate these people and let Nigeria know where to send the troops. Assuming that those folks are competent and worth what we're paying them, it shouldn't take more than a week, right?

Going back to this...

Nigeria's abilities to handle Boko Haram have been... questioned by some. I'm not an expert on Nigeria in particular, but in some cases you may have a situation whereas the rebels are stronger than the government soldiers they fight. There's also a good chance the rebels have far better... motivation, I suppose.

I can't go link searching at the particular moment, but there are even allegations (to what extent verified I'm unsure) that a local chapter of the military had a bit of a heads-up warning of an attack... and didn't respond, simply because they thought they'd be no match.

On that note... Boko Haram bomb kills 118 in Nigeria.

Thesh wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/us/among-experts-scrutiny-of-attention-disorder-diagnoses-in-2-and-3-year-olds.html?referrer=

Thousands of toddlers are being medicated for ADHD, despite a lack of diagnosis guidelines or research on the effects of the medications on toddlers.

But they're so hyper and disorderly! Toddlers shouldn't act like that!

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Wed May 21, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:But they're so hyper and disorderly! Toddlers shouldn't act like that!

Pretty much, and for anyone under 16 I'd be weary of giving drugs to correct a personality that is still growing. Slap the parents and the kid, tell the kid unlike what you've been told the world doesn't revolve around you. Sure "you are special just like everybody else!"
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 21, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

Friday’s report was the latest to raise concerns about A.D.H.D. diagnoses and medications for American children beyond what many experts consider medically justified. Last year, a nationwide C.D.C. survey found that 11 percent of children ages 4 to 17 have received a diagnosis of the disorder, and that about one in five boys will get one during childhood.

HOLY SHIT!

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:But they're so hyper and disorderly! Toddlers shouldn't act like that!

Pretty much, and for anyone under 16 I'd be weary of giving drugs to correct a personality that is still growing. Slap the parents and the kid, tell the kid unlike what you've been told the world doesn't revolve around you. Sure "you are special just like everybody else!"
Hahahahahah yes because all personality issues for anyone under 16 aren't real and are just the kid being self-centered.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 21, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
krogoth wrote:

Hahahahahah yes because all personality issues for anyone under 16 aren't real and are just the kid being self-centered.

Wary, not "never do it", I think. There are cases where medicine is legitimately needed, but if you're up to 1 in 5 ratios, it seems likely that the behavior being treated is actually reasonably normal. Perhaps more caution is quite reasonable indeed.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
krogoth wrote:

Except we've gone too far in the direction of "little Timmy isn't valedictorian, DRUG HIM UP". If 1/4 people are diagnosed with ADHD, maybe we are being too over zealous with the diagnoses?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm UTC

Diagnosed ADHD here. Coping mechanisms beyond drugs do exist. Drugs are sometimes necessary, either permanently or temporarily, depending on case, but my experience with the doctors was mostly a "throw drugs at it" sort of thing. Essentially permanent drug prescriptions, with frequent, extremely cursory check ups that felt like mostly an attempt to maximize financial gain from handing out addition prescriptions.

That said, the attitude of "just slap the parent and kid" is...perhaps not the most helpful either. Drugs are not everything, but denying that a concern exists is unlikely to be helpful. I'd like to see more comprehensive mental health attitudes than EITHER of these approaches.
Last edited by Tyndmyr on Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed May 21, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

While I think there is some misdiagnosis, I don't think that tells the whole story. My guess is that different cases will have different combinations of contributing factors. Poor diet, like of physical activity, sleep disorders, and bad parenting (which isn't the same as not hitting your kids enough) probably all contribute to the sheer number of cases, and there are probably additional causes on top of those that can't be fully corrected without medication.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 am UTC

I didn't use the word "just" in front of the word slap because I didn't mean it literally. Some people (parents or patients) could do so much better with tips in living, if they would actually follow them, they just need a metaphorical slap to wake them up. As Thesh says, there are many things that can help, sleep-food-exorcise Are common factors in depression that is also on the rise. Those child bootcamps that are on tv sometimes where they take a kid into the outback/farm/camp and get them on better routines. These things could be implemented at home but it's easier to slip into old habits at home. Maybe they have strategy guides.

Not really darker side, but related.
Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrsLrwld7k
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu May 22, 2014 3:27 am UTC

There's a non-negligible chance that sending a kid away to one of this child boot-camp places will only compound the issue, it's going to instill a sense of "You are a problem and we are sending you away" in a child. I also don't think we should neglect the effect of a for-profit health care model on rates of misdiagnosis. There's more than one variable to control for here, and there's no simple solution.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Thu May 22, 2014 5:40 am UTC

That's the parents and tutors fault for failing to pass on information then, "you are not the problem, you have a problem, your parents have a problem."

Much of the issue is lack of knowledge, maybe health class in school that focuses on living, and mental health, rather than just biological health, then?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 am UTC

Speaking of slaps... Quebec man sentenced to 60 non-consecutive days in jail for killing his daughter by slapping her.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu May 22, 2014 7:14 am UTC

krogoth wrote:That's the parents and tutors fault for failing to pass on information then, "you are not the problem, you have a problem, your parents have a problem."

Much of the issue is lack of knowledge, maybe health class in school that focuses on living, and mental health, rather than just biological health, then?

Well we're not even doing biological health properly yet in schools, let's not aim too high, shall we?
May I ask, have you ever suffered from a mental illness? You absolutely don't have to answer that question if you don't want to. But if you have, and even if you haven't, surely you understand that telling somebody "You're not the problem" doesn't really help that much a lot of the time? When the mind is burdened like this, it can and will perform an incredible level of gymnastics to twist any input it receives - in this case, the child may convince themselves that everyone is for some reason lying to them about not being the problem, for instance.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu May 22, 2014 8:31 am UTC

FYI, there is a whole thread on ADHD being possibly over diagnosed.

Also I didn't know one could be jailed for non consecutive days. It strikes me as a less alienating sentence (than consecutive days) that may be appropriate in some cases. The logistics may be complicated.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 am UTC

Carlington wrote:
krogoth wrote:That's the parents and tutors fault for failing to pass on information then, "you are not the problem, you have a problem, your parents have a problem."

Well we're not even doing biological health properly yet in schools, let's not aim too high, shall we?
May I ask, have you ever suffered from a mental illness? You absolutely don't have to answer that question if you don't want to. But if you have, and even if you haven't, surely you understand that telling somebody "You're not the problem" doesn't really help that much a lot of the time? When the mind is burdened like this, it can and will perform an incredible level of gymnastics to twist any input it receives - in this case, the child may convince themselves that everyone is for some reason lying to them about not being the problem, for instance.

I have schizophrenia, mostly under control now though, and I consider myself a functioning alcoholic. I can't resist drinking ('a lot')alone each weekend. Maybe that's just depression. I deal with the first though changes to my thought process, self evaluation and a lot of similar things. The rest, well... we all have things to work on.

I can't really say I agree, I only know how I take things. If you can't point out there is a problem and there needs to be change, how are you going to teach that change?

Return to “News & Articles”