The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby addams » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

Has GreenPeace become like a Religion.
Some nice things. Some weird things.

A sense of GreenPeace People are better?
Better than Catholics, because they will abort humans, not seal.
Better than Protestants, because they do Not believe in the Sugar Daddy in the Sky.
Better than Me, because they are Actively Doing Something about IT. What ever IT is.
Better than You, because they would protect you in ways you would not protect you.

GreenPeace Brothers and Sisters of the MissGuided Way!
They take their place next to the rest of us.

At least they get out and See the world they are Fucking Up.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:It's true that (AFAIK) none of the current generation of GM crops really solves any environmental or food supply issues, but there's some truly impressive stuff in development, such as drought resistant rice.

Let's not forget Golden Rice, which contains beta-carotene to help address the massive problem of Vitamin A deficiencies in the third world, which leads to numerous vision problems (especially in children).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:17 am UTC

addams wrote:Has GreenPeace become like a Religion.
Some nice things. Some weird things.

A sense of GreenPeace People are better?
Better than Catholics, because they will abort humans, not seal.
Better than Protestants, because they do Not believe in the Sugar Daddy in the Sky.
Better than Me, because they are Actively Doing Something about IT. What ever IT is.
Better than You, because they would protect you in ways you would not protect you.

GreenPeace Brothers and Sisters of the MissGuided Way!
They take their place next to the rest of us.

At least they get out and See the world they are Fucking Up.

To a certain extent, yes, but to a larger extent I think that if you are going to be publicly and emotively arguing against particular technologies, and furthermore protesting in ways that actively harm the development of those technologies, you are ethically obliged to be properly informed about them, which Greenpeace clearly are not (or worse, they are being deliberately misleading in the way they present the science).

It's difficult for me not to feel strongly about this when my former colleagues (I spent some time in a plant sciences research department) have had their research fields (each of which represents a significant chunk of someone's career) destroyed multiple times by protesters under the banner of Greenpeace. These are people who, I can personally vouch, care deeply about the environment, have thought long and hard about the possible impacts of their research and carry out their research safely with due attention to bio-containment.

addams wrote:Better than Me, because they are Actively Doing Something about IT. What ever IT is.

That is a dreadful argument. ISIS is actively doing something about the political situation in the Middle East, but that's probably not a good thing.

yurell wrote:Let's not forget Golden Rice, which contains beta-carotene to help address the massive problem of Vitamin A deficiencies in the third world, which leads to numerous vision problems (especially in children).

True, I kind of avoided Golden Rice though, because while it's certainly helpful in addressing vitamin A deficiency, it's not the panacea that it was hyped to be (this gets us into another issue entirely, which is the hyping of scientific research both by university press offices and scientists themselves, forced in many cases to do so in order to compete successfully for grant money). Specifically you have to have a fairly reasonable diet (enough fats basically) before you can effectively utilise vitamin A, so you can't just switch out normal for golden rice and solve the problem. It does seem to me to be a good way to actually provide the vitamin A as part of an integrated solution though.*

I wonder if anyone has actually talked to the subsistence farmers themselves, educated them about golden rice, and asked them whether they would be interested in planting and eating it, because that fairly crucial element seems to be be mostly missing from the debate.

*Disclaimer - I haven't done that much reading around Golden Rice specifically, most of this comes from 6-year-old poorly remembered university lectures, so I'm not that well-informed about it.
Last edited by Quercus on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:26 am UTC

yurell wrote:
Quercus wrote:It's true that (AFAIK) none of the current generation of GM crops really solves any environmental or food supply issues, but there's some truly impressive stuff in development, such as drought resistant rice.

Let's not forget Golden Rice, which contains beta-carotene to help address the massive problem of Vitamin A deficiencies in the third world, which leads to numerous vision problems (especially in children).

You mean the illness that currently causes 2m deaths and another 2m cases of permanent disability every single year, keeping large swaths of the world in perpetual poverty? Yeah that's a bit of a nuisance.

If the smegma-drenched hemorrhoid munchers at Greenpeace ran the world, things like Pellagra and Cretinism would be commonplace again. There is a reason you have never heard of these things.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:39 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
yurell wrote:

You mean the illness that currently causes 2m deaths and another 2m cases of permanent disability every single year, keeping large swaths of the world in perpetual poverty? Yeah that's a bit of a nuisance.

If the smegma-drenched hemorrhoid munchers at Greenpeace ran the world, things like Pellagra and Cretinism would be commonplace again. There is a reason you have never heard of these things.

Just for clarity let me say that I wasn't including Golden Rice in the "current generation" of GM crops, because it's not actually in the hands of farmers yet. If you do include it, then yes, GM has already demonstrated the potential to do very good things.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:47 am UTC

Golden Rice is in the current generation of crops. Monsanto provides it for free to thousands of subsistence farmers, unless they make more than $10,000/yr.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Golden Rice is in the current generation of crops. Monsanto provides it for free to thousands of subsistence farmers, unless they make more than $10,000/yr.

Unfortunately, not yet, because it's not yet approved for general consumption in the Philippines, which as far as I can gather is the first country where it will be introduced. Syngenta (not AFAIK Monsanto) and Monsanto have indeed provided free licences to anyone making less than $10,000*, but no-one is actually utilizing that licence at the moment. I quote from a November 2013 article on the official Golden Rice site

Philippine officials have been following GR development and field trials for several years, and Ingo believes that the government will ultimately give "the green light." He expects that deregulation will occur in two phases: first consumption, then planting. The consumption phase will require a two-year study of the impacts of GR consumption on VAD in Philippine children. The study will be conducted by the Helen Keller Foundation for Research and Education (http://bit. ly/1bXh9AX), which has expertise in VAD and blindness. Only after the study will farmers be allowed to plant GR, said Ingo.

So it looks like, if everything goes smoothly, that we're still at least a year away from wide-scale usage.

*Which isn't exactly providing it for free - it just means that they don't have to pay licence fees for using the patent, they still have to buy the initial seed (although it is going to be sold at the same price as existing seed, and has better performance than traditional cultivars, as well as producing beta-carotene, which should help adoption).
Last edited by Quercus on Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:34 am UTC

protesters under the banner of Greenpeace

GreanPeace?

I don't know any GreenPeace people.
I have met people that were using the GreenPeace logo.

My only face to face interaction was with a person that was Faking.
It was strange.

I was being Robbed.
He said he was doing it for GreenPeace.

I gave him some cash.
He went away.

How often do people use the Banner for Fun and Games?
Is GreenPeace taken seriously, anymore?

Has GreenPeace become an icon that casts a shadow we can manipulate and be manipulated by?

I know we need to be careful with GM.
I know about The Butterflies.

Yellow Rice seems like a great idea.
Has it withstood the test of time?

Wait! Wait!
Potrykus has enabled golden rice to be distributed free to subsistence farmers.[45] Free licenses for developing countries were granted quickly due to the positive publicity that golden rice received, particularly in Time magazine in July 2000. [46] Monsanto Company was one of the first companies to grant free licences.[47]

The cutoff between humanitarian and commercial use was set at US$10,000. Therefore, as long as a farmer or subsequent user of golden rice genetics does not make more than $10,000 per year, no royalties need to be paid. In addition, farmers are permitted to keep and replant seed.[48]

That is Really good.
That will Work.

There were protests that were important!
Monsanto did not give a flying fuck about the little farmers.
Some soul was poured into the company.

The dates and Plan A vs Plan B, C-->K may not be readily available.
I know it is hard to believe, but some companies get to making money and forget to care about How.

Monsanto seems to have developed a Heart.
That took some outsiders explaining things to executives.

I'm not clear on the details.
It Just Did!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

I decided to see what Fox News commenters had to say about this, and basically it's Obama's fault for following the Quran instead of the constitution, that it's because Obama is weak, that Obama sympathizes with them and refuses to call them terrorists, and also that we should just nuke the middle east (because it's horrible to kill 130 children, we should respond by killing millions).

Seriously, I don't know why I did that. Sometimes I feel I just need to be reminded about how horrible and stupid Americans on the far right actually are.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm UTC

No, just the ones that comment on Foxnews. I actually blame the way the comment system is set up; the top comment goes to the top along with all the replies which are all shown. Posting the second best comment puts you beneath the chain of the top comment. So everyone posts ONLY in reply to the top. But people also want to make sure they stay on top rather than the second best comment overtaking with it's own crapchain, so they up vote it. The tactic is also to take the dumbest and least original comment and rude it to the top.

A better system is Cracked; only show the first two replies. No infinite chain. Oh and you need to sign in to vote; the comments on the news sites let anyone up vote but only let those who logged in down vote. So if "OBUMMER RAPES PIGS" is liked by 100 but hated by 500, but only 10% of people sign in it will look like it got 50 up votes.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 pm UTC

An update on this:
The attack left at least 141 people dead - 132 of them children - and many others wounded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-30491113
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

Seven attackers. That's pretty scary right there.

The Afghan Taliban have criticised Tuesday's attack as un-Islamic. The group's spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that they were sending their condolences to the families of the children killed in the attack and shared their sadness. The Afghan Taliban are stepping up their attacks in Afghanistan and share roots with the Pakistani Taliban. They usually share the same ideology too.

The wikipedia link on Zabihullah makes this guy seem like a very unreliable source. Although I'm guessing that a major problem here is that the Taliban isn't an organized group with official diplomatic channels.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:The wikipedia link on Zabihullah makes this guy seem like a very unreliable source. Although I'm guessing that a major problem here is that the Taliban isn't an organized group with official diplomatic channels.

I mean, they're somewhat organized. They had (still have?) an office in Qatar for quite some time, whose purpose was to engage in negotiations with the US, Afghan government, etc.

So, I mean, if you can manage a negotiating team, you have to be someone organized and capable of channels.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/world ... .html?_r=0
The United States says that it does all it can through diplomacy, intelligence gathering and even military action, such as a failed commando raid in Syria in July, to try to free hostages. Mr. Abo Aljoud offers a counterpoint to the official government position: one that does not contradict all of Washington’s assertions but indicates systemic gaps in its efforts to free captives. “The policy of no concession has always been there, but we used to interpret it in a much more flexible way,” said Gary Noesner, who retired in 2003 as chief of the F.B.I.'s Crisis Negotiation Unit. “The problem in my mind is that we have devalued negotiation as a tool.”

The biggest complaint are people who provide tips, but are turned down/ ignored until it is too late because it looks like negotiating with terrorists. Even more awkward are people with locations of hostages, but want money and transport to another country. The US automatically turned both of them down as "negotiating with terrorists".

While I'm against the idea of paying ransom, not listening to tips is baffling. It seems the State Department lacks urgency in investigating tips considering the timelines involved. There's also the spectrum of paying ransom. Paying off a tipster that leads to the release of a hostage? What about engaging in a 3rd party country to negotiate for us and exchange prisoners? Is guiding the families who choose to pay ransoms themselves against this rule? All of these the US has said no to, but only recently as of Sept 11. Before 2000, the FBI paid ransoms left and right, following only the letter of the no negotiations rule.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... up/384098/

Apparently the third highest ranking Republican in the House spoke at a meeting of White Supremesists in 2002. You can always count on the Republicans to find the worst of humanity to run for office.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/12/the-house-gop-leader-who-addressed-a-white-supremacist-group/384098/

Apparently the third highest ranking Republican in the House spoke at a meeting of White Supremesists in 2002. You can always count on the Republicans to find the worst of humanity to run for office.

Gee, Thesh;
We seem to have our Dark News mixed up with our Funny News.
Inside the Capitol, he's known as a friendly conservative who is relentlessly on message, a trait that endeared him to party leaders who supported him over more freewheeling, gaffe-prone colleagues.

I think it's funny.

He is 'relentlessly on message'.
The only way to be relentlessly on message is to understand and believe the message or to be a very good actor.

Well rewarded politicians make more than well paid actors.
Politician is not as hard to do, if you believe the message.

How many years did Eric cantor spend in the Graduate School of Congress?
That's an education that Pays Off!
http://www.newsweek.com/eric-cantor-lan ... job-267924

Three million dollars might effect my beliefs.
You? ....

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:20 am UTC

Thesh wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/12/the-house-gop-leader-who-addressed-a-white-supremacist-group/384098/

I'm still pondering his case. Exactly what type of white supremacists (there are a few kinds, technically, although with their decline I think they might all be melding together) were they?

I know this particular Congressman is a Catholic. And, technically, the KKK hates Catholics too (they stand for white protestants). So it's possible it could be an honest mistake on his part. Or, perhaps, his religion didn't happen to play a big factor in this case.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 am UTC

Information on the group can be found here:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... roups/euro

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:28 am UTC

The biggest strike against him is that this isn't an obscure guy or group, 10 years ago this guy ran for governor or something crazy high. That, and hes a grand wizard of the KKK. Unfortunately, the only people who do criticize him are accused of, and stand to gain, politically. So the GOP is closing rank and doing damage control.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

sardia wrote:The biggest strike against him is that this isn't an obscure guy or group, 10 years ago this guy ran for governor or something crazy high. That, and hes a grand wizard of the KKK. Unfortunately, the only people who do criticize him are accused of, and stand to gain, politically. So the GOP is closing rank and doing damage control.

I'll be honest, I couldn't name every candidate for governor in MY district ten years ago. The winner, sure. Random obscure guy without a chance who didn't win? God no. And I certainly don't know who holds what positions in the KKK.

Assuming that someone would automatically know that, and then know any other groups associated with such a person may be a bit of a stretch.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Dozen killed in Paris.

A magazine known for making fun of religion was attacked by (ostensibly) Islamic extremists today.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 am UTC

Yes.
It is dark news.

Even the French don't know who those guys were.
They have work to do.

They have bodies to bury.
They have Families and Friends to support.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 am UTC

addams wrote:Even the French don't know who those guys were.
They have work to do.

While the other eight dead people were not famous, the four cartoonists were, or if not by name at least by their drawings.

(Well Cabu was quite famous even to people not interested to that kind of work).

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

Should probably talk about the Paris shootings in the dedicated thread.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... nt/384273/
Think asset forfeiture is bad enough? Try it when police entrap men who go on legal dating sites seeking adults. The cops post pictures of adults and then reveal they are underaged after they snag someone. Or they ask if a younger sister can join as a honey pot, and then nail them. These stings don't hold up in court, so prosecutors drop the charges. So why bother? Because asset forfeiture. If you're arrested for this crime, they seize your stuff and charge you thousands to get it back even if you're innocent.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

That sounds so cynical one may wonder why they would need to bother with the traps in the first place. Just seize stuff!

Link

Postby Link » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:14 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm UTC

This is not me trying to diagnose someone based on a single news article without knowing anything about her, but I feel that there isn't enough general awareness that Postnatal psychosis is a thing.

Pregnancy and childbith in general seem to be a terrifying process.

huh, according to wikipedia the US doesn't recognise it as a mitigating legal factor (I'm sure it comes up in the court cases, but the article makes it seem that in other countries it's automatically considered or something? I'm not a lawyer).
GNU Terry Pratchett

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

Angua wrote:huh, according to wikipedia the US doesn't recognise it as a mitigating legal factor (I'm sure it comes up in the court cases, but the article makes it seem that in other countries it's automatically considered or something? I'm not a lawyer).

If it's not considered a mitigating factor, then no, it wouldn't be looked at in U.S. courts, because they don't consider it to mitigate the crime.

Which seems odd to me; If someone goes on a psychotic episode, and it can be proven, a good lawyer should be able to argue that there wasn't the mens rea (Intent), and that she therefore can't be held liable, like other people found to be not guilty on account of mental illness.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

Nobody could do that and be considered in any way rational or of sound mind.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:13 am UTC

Angua wrote:This is not me trying to diagnose someone based on a single news article without knowing anything about her, but I feel that there isn't enough general awareness that Postnatal psychosis is a thing.

Pregnancy and childbith in general seem to be a terrifying process.

huh, according to wikipedia the US doesn't recognise it as a mitigating legal factor (I'm sure it comes up in the court cases, but the article makes it seem that in other countries it's automatically considered or something? I'm not a lawyer).

Yes. Angua; Some medical staff don't know.
You may be well prepared to begin to explain and advocate for loads of TLC.

Women that are well cared for can weather that storm and go on to live whole full lives as good moms.
Without TLC and adequate follow up care....well..there are victims.

I was briefed on follow up care.
The care was excessive for most moms.
They were being babied and visited with by Public Health Nurses.

It was Not wasteful.
The healthy moms enjoyed the care.
That additional care catches moms and babies, if they start to fail.

The effort you put into Public Health rarely has flashy results.
They forget to thank you, when they don't get sick.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:49 pm UTC

Hyphernkemberly? That's one hell of a name

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 pm UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/01/to-entrap-an-innocent/384273/
Think asset forfeiture is bad enough? Try it when police entrap men who go on legal dating sites seeking adults. The cops post pictures of adults and then reveal they are underaged after they snag someone. Or they ask if a younger sister can join as a honey pot, and then nail them. These stings don't hold up in court, so prosecutors drop the charges. So why bother? Because asset forfeiture. If you're arrested for this crime, they seize your stuff and charge you thousands to get it back even if you're innocent.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01 ... ogram.html

Well, Holder has ended the Federal Civil Asset Forfeiture program so that's a step; not sure how this affects local departments.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
sardia wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/01/to-entrap-an-innocent/384273/

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01 ... ogram.html

Well, Holder has ended the Federal Civil Asset Forfeiture program so that's a step; not sure how this affects local departments.

It's a step in the right direction.
It's the legal equivalent of walking backwards.

How fucking far do they have to walk backwards fighting the State and Local Laws?
The Feds are not taking your shit, The State, County or City is.

Every one of those principalities have more resources to use to seize and keep a man's property than most men have.
Way back somewhere, a man and his property were innocent until proven Guilty.

It was never much more than an ill executed ideal.
But; Damn It! It was a common ideal!

Why is it no longer a common ideal?
Maybe, The TV has enlightened us to what a bunch go fucking AssHoles we are.
Now; We understand. We see people for what they are.

Fucking Criminals.
One and All.
Spoiler:
It is simply a matter of catching them.
Take all their shit and watch the crime spree.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

Canada is very racist

"'You're that guy running for mayor. You're an Indian,' he said. …. 'I don't want to shake your hand. You Indians are the problem with the city. You're all lazy. You're drunks. The social problems we have in the city are all related to you.'"

It's funny- mostly sad, actually- how many people I know that say how awful the U.S. is for black people, then turn around and call native americans drunks parasites.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

It was only fairly recently I learned that anti-Indian bigotry was a thing.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

The tiny little town (5,000 people) I live in has a thing against, wait for it, Finnish people, specifically the people of Finnish descent who live in the town.

From Wikipedia:
The racial makeup of the town was 98.55% White, 0.19% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population. 19.7% were of Finnish, 13.2% French, 13.0% English, 10.4% Irish, 9.7% French Canadian, 6.5% German and 5.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000

I guess when you get a bunch of white people together with no one to hate, they just start hating other white people.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:The tiny little town (5,000 people) I live in has a thing against, wait for it, Finnish people, specifically the people of Finnish descent who live in the town.

From Wikipedia:
The racial makeup of the town was 98.55% White, 0.19% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population. 19.7% were of Finnish, 13.2% French, 13.0% English, 10.4% Irish, 9.7% French Canadian, 6.5% German and 5.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000

I guess when you get a bunch of white people together with no one to hate, they just start hating other white people.

Seriously? They started turning on the Finns when you have both French and French Canadians? :)

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:The tiny little town (5,000 people) I live in has a thing against, wait for it, Finnish people, specifically the people of Finnish descent who live in the town.

From Wikipedia:

I can't help but imagine the ultimate end of the hypothetical:

" This town is full of totally identical clones, and those clones are ruining everything for all the other clones that are completely identical to them..."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

*people.

When you get a bunch of PEOPLE together. It's not like whitey has a monopoly on the bigotry market.

Return to “News & Articles”