The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Coyne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:18 pm UTC

sardia wrote:*"I swear that shooter misunderstood my call to lynch them all, it was a metaphor for voting them out"

I'm not sure this is an accurate statement: "metaphor" is an awfully big word for one of these "target the opposition" Republicans to use.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:22 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Angua wrote:Haven't they learnt their lesson from that time they were doing posters of democrats in targets?

Not certain, but my gut tells me..."maybe not".

I've been to TeaBag meetings.
I've seen a mob with 'bloodlust'.

I've seen 'bloodlust' flash through a room like a chemical reaction.
The lid was kept on the violence by a professional motivational speaker.

The seeds of violence had been sown.
Those seeds, like most seeds, grow in the dark and the quiet.
Spoiler:
Therefore; We must encourage Freedom of Speech.
That's how we know who the AssHoles are.
Gabby Gifford was serving her nation
I respect the woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords
Just like Mike Brown, Gabby Gifford was gunned down by a man that had been taught to both hate and encouraged to take action.

You people have Triggered me.
My nation,(I'd jump-ship in a heartbeat.)

Ny nation has had a bad case of Brain Drain.
We have so few intellectuals contributing to the body politic.

Intellectuals have a reputation for being Smart.
It is not smart to put ones head onto a target.

The contrived and scripted 'spat' between Kelly and Trump
remindes me so very much of J. R. Ewing's death and resurrection in Dallas, circa early 1980's.

"The People" will believe damn near anything.
Some will act with passion on those beliefs.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:48 am UTC

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sens ... tigate-it/
While everybody says power corrupts, it's much more nuanced than that. Power does not rise from a few bad apples who scheme to get power. Instead, power comes from those who share, are generous to others, and are empathetic. This makes other people trust them and give them power. Once given power, it makes those generous, empathetic people not generous, and not empathetic. It corrupts the most empathetic and most generous of our society. That's kinda sad. Standard treatments are transparency and accountability.
in an experiment and I have an opportunity to use resources to my benefit to the cost of other people. If I’m simply aware that other people are going to know of my actions, I act in a much more ethical fashion. I avoid the abuses of power. There are studies that show if I have a chance to take resources, and there’s this geometric arrangement of dots that looks like a human face, I take fewer of the resources for myself. I leave more for the public good. It’s very powerful.

There’s a concern right now that the wealthiest in our society are beyond scrutiny. No one even knows who they are, these people making $300 million a year. We don’t know where they live. We don’t know how their wealth generates, and that basic social condition spells trouble, and it spells a greater likelihood for the abuse of power.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:52 pm UTC

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.742074

I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups. I hate pop-ups.

And we hate poster-sized posts, as we have told you many times before. Spoilered by Zamfir
Spoiler:
The United States and Israel signed a defense aid agreement on Wednesday that promises Israel $38 billion over 10 years, from 2019 through 2028.

"We affirm today the unbreakable bond between the United States and Israel," U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice said at the Washington ceremony.

U.S. President Barack Obama issued a special message after the deal was signed, stressing that it demonstrated the U.S.'s commitment to Israel's security in word and deed.

"Both Prime Minister Netanyahu and I are confident that the new MOU will make a significant contribution to Israel’s security in what remains a dangerous neighborhood," Obama said. "The continued supply of the world’s most advanced weapons technology will ensure that Israel has the ability to defend itself from all manner of threats."

Once the agreement goes into effect, there will be a gradual phasing out of Israel’s right to use 26 percent of the American aid to buy equipment from Israel defense industries.

One of the most significant disputes during the bilateral negotiations related to the America demand to stop the arrangement that allowed Israel to spend some 40 percent of the American aid to buy equipment from Israeli defense industries and to buy fuel for the IDF. The senior American officials noted that Israel used around $1.2 billion of the annual aid for these purposes instead of buying advanced weaponry from the United States.

$126.25 per person per year that the US population is now committed to giving to US weapons manufacturers.

Lockheed-Martin apparently own a controlling stake in the White House.

Realpolitik.jpg

TargetRichEnvironment2.jpg

There was some of the usual bullshit about being committed to a two-state solution in there, too, but seeing as they seem fine with one of those states looking like this ...

One-state_solution.jpg

... we can ignore that.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

There's enough to criticize Israel for without conspiratorial fever dreams about them conquering the Levant. It's not a good look.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

No, but it's got a few rivers in it, and fresh water's a precious resource these days.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Your math is off somewhere. $38 billion over 10 years, $3.8 billion a year, works out to $11.80 per US citizen per year. (Not that I am claiming that makes it all better--it still sucks big time.)

(Oh, yes, BTW: I agree pop-ups suck big time, too.)
In all fairness...

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:35 am UTC

Last time I checked, Isreal / Palestine discussions tended to attract banhammers / moratoriums. I'm not exactly sure if meme-pictures (with captions where the letters actually are dripping blood; very subtle, and such a great argument) is the way to start a civilized discussion that won't go downhill even faster than usual.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 pm UTC

Well, here's the nice one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6MdjnH4Nr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJngm-YmEOo

How is the village financed?

Half of its income comes from donations from the eleven International Friends’ Associations around the world. Grants are also received from foundations and international organisations such as the European Union. Some funding is available from the Israeli government and the village collects local taxes from its residents.

A bit like the solar farms in the Iranian desert and the desalination, pumping and UV sterilisation systems powered by them that are inching towards restoring the water flow from Yellow Mountain through Esfahan and refloating their plastic swans, that project apparently gets no US Federal funding, not even $38 of it.

Did you see the line about disagreements being "within the family" in that article? "You gotta unnerstand, Benny, I got an image to maintain here. I got a (D) after my name, I gotta talk a certain way on certain issues, you know? You an' me, we're brothers, I love you, and you gotta do what you gotta do to get those ragheads offa your turf an' I respect that, but when I'm out there bein' the respectable businessman, I gotta talk like I'm takin' a stand. You know I'll never let you down though, Benny, so when you hear me on the TV sayin' those things, fuggedabardit. I ain't gonna stab you in the back."

That's $38bn of ISIS recruitment propaganda you're buying, you know. Saves the Saudis paying for any for a while.

Not allowed to bring that up, of course. Can't ask why the US was targetted on 11 September or why the UK was targetted on 7 July or why Spain was targetted on 11 March or why not Norway, Sweden, Chile, Argentina, Namibia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Jordan, ... because thinking that just maybe they're recruiting from a population that's actually upset about something rather than being Just Plain Nasty is sympathising with terrorists and "you're either with us or against us" no matter how stupid our decisions may be.

I wonder whether you'd be "allowed" to donate $38 of your own money to that project. Lieberman'd probably want you added to the no-fly list if he foudn out you did.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I wonder whether you'd be "allowed" to donate $38 of your own money to that project. Lieberman'd probably want you added to the no-fly list if he foudn out you did
Mambrino wrote:Last time I checked, Isreal / Palestine discussions tended to attract banhammers / moratoriums. I'm not exactly sure if meme-pictures (with captions where the letters actually are dripping blood; very subtle, and such a great argument) is the way to start a civilized discussion that won't go downhill even faster than usual.
Evidently he isn't subject to subtle nudging.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

That includes territory Egypt got ceded by Israel as well as territory outside of Mandatory Palestine; I don't think even the nuttiest revisionists claim that much.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:02 am UTC

So a bit of personal information. I was 2 blocks away from the Manhattan bombing when it happened. In the car, parked; didn't hear a thing. Only found out something was wrong when all the fire trucks and police scrambled past, something to do with searching for a secondary device. Did get to see a few dozen officers on mopeds, which is an interesting sight.

New disdain for the media. Initial reports had things like "the blast could be heard as far away as Hoboken according to locals", which was utter sensationalist bullshit. Like I said I was 2 blocks away and didn't hear it over the traffic and normal city noise.

Most of the stores closed, which I suppose was sensible. Big thing is not to let fear and panic do more damage than the bomb itself. Kind of worried about the election; things like this feed into Trumps "we gotta restore the military blah blah blah" when even the most well funded military wouldn't stop this, short of having a ban on the Internet and cooking pots. Best you could get would be cameras on every corner watching everything, which I suspect we already have anyway and not something I'd be enthusiastic about.

Glad no one was killed, hopefully that one person injured doesn't have any major permanent damage.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:07 am UTC

This weekend's local dark side of the news: you can now pay £40 to jump the queue for NHS appointments.

It's supposed to be "free at the point of use" but it's underfunded, understaffed and overstretched so waiting lists can be rather long, which puts pressure on people to go private.

"Pay £40 and be seen TODAY!"

How?

By bumping someone who didn't pay? "Sorry, Mrs Keegan. That lump on your son's leg will have to wait another six months because Mr Jones paid £40 to have his daughter's cough checked out immediately."

By reserving a share of appointments for people who do pay? "Our next available appointment would have been in December but thanks to the new law it's in February ... unless you want to pay £40 to be seen right now."

Either way, that's going to put pressure on people to pay for appointments, which the government will cite as it being a popular move. Then they can use that to increase it from 10% to 20%, 30%, 40% ...

"Our next available appointment is in March 2023, unless you want to pay £40 to be seen this week."

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:38 pm UTC

Police arrest "lurking clown"

Jonathan Martin, 20, was charged with wearing a mask in a public place and disorderly conduct in Middlesboro.

He was found at about 0100 EST (0500 GMT) on Friday in "full clown costume" and mask crouching among trees by an apartment complex, according to police.

Recent reports of clowns trying to lure children into woods have sparked alarm.

I can't decide if this is from real life or a horror film.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah that doesn't look like the type of clown mask that would have children coming TOWARDS you...

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:15 pm UTC

You're burying the lede, Vahir:
Alleged clown encounters have been reported in recent weeks in North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky.

Clearly, there's a whole cult of them.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:19 pm UTC

A flock of sheep, a pride of lions, a cult of clowns...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm UTC

A clowder of cats...

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 pm UTC

A posse of clowns?
Exit the vampires' castle.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:54 pm UTC

There was a series of clown attacks in France in 2014. But I think that was mentioned before.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:15 pm UTC

I live about an hour away from some of the sightings. My friends who live in those cities in NC have been making lots of jokes.

I wonder if this guy knows anything about the others or if they're all just copycatting.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:51 am UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... rimination
Racial discrimination, it seems, is like the salt that's left in a pot after water boils away — much easier to identify in the absence of the other things. That was one of the big takeaways from a report released this week by the Economic Policy Institute, a think tank in Washington, D.C. Researchers were studying the longstanding black-white wage gap, and their findings were grim: The distance between what white Americans and black Americans earn is larger than it's been in almost 40 years.

I talked to Valerie Wilson, who analyzes race and the economy for the institute. She told me that the wage gap has grown and shrunk over the years and has lingered in both boom and lean times. While it once varied by region — smallest in the Midwest and largest in the South — the gap is now more or less uniform across the country. It's been a chronic blemish on our economy. And the major reason, Wilson said? Not education. Not work experience. Not whether you live on a farm or in a downtown apartment complex. It's discrimination, and it's borne out in the data.

Interesting factoid, the discrimination effect decreases as time increases with an employer. As the employer gets to know the black guy, the discrimination decreases. Of course, it closes off the easiest way to gain wages and status, jumping between employers.
Last edited by sardia on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:04 am UTC

Think you've got the wrong link there, sardia.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 am UTC

US President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology release a scathing report on the state of forensic science--as in, most forensic science is anything but: Most methods are unreliable or have huge error bars; others are right into the realm of pseudoscience.

The Attorney General has rejected all of the Council's recommendations. The FBI and the National District Attorneys Association have also come out strongly against the report--not challenging the science, but accusing the authors of bias.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:30 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:US President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology release a scathing report on the state of forensic science--as in, most forensic science is anything but: Most methods are unreliable or have huge error bars; others are right into the realm of pseudoscience.

The Attorney General has rejected all of the Council's recommendations. The FBI and the National District Attorneys Association have also come out strongly against the report--not challenging the science, but accusing the authors of bias.

So...what about all those people we put in jail based on their testimony? Is this gonna be a repeat of the last time this happened(they let everyone go convicted under substandard pretenses out of jail).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/24/techn ... f=business
Generic large data hacks serve a purpose for state sponsored hacking.
ntelligence services could use this information for a range of things — some trivial and some intrusive. They could match international flights taken by their own officials with those taken by American personnel to the same cities at the same time. They could comb the user names and emails released in a hacking of Ashley Madison, the online affairs site that was breached last year, with the personal Yahoo accounts of government officials and contractors or their spouses, and leak that information online or use it for blackmail.

And they can use the most intimate details of people’s lives — their medical records — to undercut the reputations of prominent American athletes, as Russian hackers did in a release of medical records stolen from the World Anti-Doping Agency that belonged to the gymnast Simone Biles, the tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams and other Olympic athletes.The biggest worry, Mr. Kanuck and other American intelligence officials say, is the impact these data thefts can have on global politics. James. R. Clapper, the director of National Intelligence, warned Senate officials earlier this year that Russia was escalating its espionage campaigns against United States targets.
For example, we could have a senator or attorney general cracking down on Russian assets who needs to be taken down a peg. Go after his wife, or his kids via their social media accounts. Look for a yahoo account that matches via big metadata analysis with say... an Ashely Madison account. Bam, instant blackmail material. Or find a photo of your kids stealing, or doing drugs. A great way to rock someone's reelection campaign.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

sardia wrote:So...what about all those people we put in jail based on their testimony?

And you think that bothers the Attorney General?

I mean, if I'd needed no other indication she was lying (that she was opposed to anything that might discredit forensics, no matter how slapdash or unscientific) that line, "...help juries...clear the innocent..." would have given it away. Since the AG would never-ever-ever-cross-my-heart prosecute anyone who is innocent, you know she's never helping a jury clear anyone.

From her perspective: worthless, non-scientific forensics, and testimony therefrom, is just a means to a justified end.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

That's why the last time it happened, the courts ruled that you had to let them go, guilty and all. Most of the dumb/unlucky ones reoffended, but it was for the best to let everyone go. It happened before, I was checking if it was gonna happen again.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:43 pm UTC

sardia wrote:That's why the last time it happened, the courts ruled that you had to let them go, guilty and all. Most of the dumb/unlucky ones reoffended, but it was for the best to let everyone go. It happened before, I was checking if it was gonna happen again.
Wasn't that related to intentional fabrication of results in the lab rather than a dispute about the validity of a particular forensic technique?

So...what about all those people we put in jail based on their testimony? Is this gonna be a repeat of the last time this happened(they let everyone go convicted under substandard pretenses out of jail).
They stay in jail. Which in a lot of cases might be the desirable outcome. That the AG disputes it is her right. Just as it is ours to disagree. The assertion that she is lying is all well and good. It presumes that the issue is simple or easily solved or that there could be a legitimate position that disagrees with his. It does a Trump in that respect, substituting opinion as fact. The important people in this debate are judges and trial lawyers. Trial lawyers because they will use the report to draw attention to the issue and to judge's, who currently make the call, and who may choose to disallow certain types of evidence after review. Eventually is ends up with SCOTUS and things change.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote:That's why the last time it happened, the courts ruled that you had to let them go, guilty and all. Most of the dumb/unlucky ones reoffended, but it was for the best to let everyone go. It happened before, I was checking if it was gonna happen again.
Wasn't that related to intentional fabrication of results in the lab rather than a dispute about the validity of a particular forensic technique?

They stay in jail. Which in a lot of cases might be the desirable outcome. That the AG disputes it is her right. Just as it is ours to disagree. The assertion that she is lying is all well and good. It presumes that the issue is simple or easily solved or that there could be a legitimate position that disagrees with his. It does a Trump in that respect, substituting opinion as fact. The important people in this debate are judges and trial lawyers. Trial lawyers because they will use the report to draw attention to the issue and to judge's, who currently make the call, and who may choose to disallow certain types of evidence after review. Eventually is ends up with SCOTUS and things change.

Taken as a whole, her statement boils down to, "I don't care if these techniques lead to false conviction." But her first duty is justice, prosecution is second. She is part of the court--that's what being an "officer of the court" means. So to ignore the report because it is inconvenient for prosecution is to shirk her responsibility to the constitution.
In all fairness...

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:48 am UTC

Coyne wrote:Taken as a whole, her statement boils down to, "I don't care if these techniques lead to false conviction."
Maybe so maybe no. But again that is your opinion of what she means. Or that she is doing other than her duty. What you can know is that she has chosen not to follow the recommendations. In any case what she can't do is tell the courts, who are the final arbiters, what to do. They can read as well as she. And they could make the point moot by decreeing that they won't accept it in there courts. I think ultimately she is a prosecutor and she looks at it through that lens. The way forward is to bring science in on the conversation. Do the research and reduce her or the next AG's ability to not pay attention.

Link

Postby Link » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

Phillipine President Duterte proudly compares himself to Hitler.

Of all the batshit over-the-top evil world leaders there have been in past few decades, I can't think of many who'd be so forward about it. Duterte is one scary motherfucker.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

Link wrote:Phillipine President Duterte proudly compares himself to Hitler.

Of all the batshit over-the-top evil world leaders there have been in past few decades, I can't think of many who'd be so forward about it. Duterte is one scary motherfucker.

He's Trump of South Asia. Over the top, big on law and order. He's killing druggies, so the people love him for it. I can imagine the fearfulness electing Trump to do the same thing. Only it's to Muslims and thugs.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

If it was a viable steategy, at least. But killing drug addicts doesn't solve anything. There'll just be new ones in no time.
If you want to eradicate drug addiction, you have to work at the causes, not the victims.

Link

Postby Link » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
He's Trump of South Asia. Over the top, big on law and order. He's killing druggies, so the people love him for it. I can imagine the fearfulness electing Trump to do the same thing. Only it's to Muslims and thugs.
As scary as the idea of Trump becoming POTUS is, I still doubt he'd have the stones to openly say "I'm going to kill every Muslim and every thug in America", and then proceed to actually create death squads to murder people in broad daylight. With populists like Trump, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders, the trend seems to be "lots of bark, very little bite", and they tend to advocate deportation or imprisonment at worst. Duterte, on the other hand, has already drawn blood, and decided he really likes the taste. Bit different, I'd say.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Hey now, tyranny is an improvement over anarchy*. If you have drug addicts overrunning the country, with everyone in fear of constant muggings or rapes or murder, death squads are an improvement. We tried eliminating the death squads in a certain middle eastern country. It... didn't work out too well. Then we reinstated the death squads via the "surge" (seriously), and things actually improved. Then the new government stopped paying them...

*Don't get into that pseudo-intellectual anarchist bullshit; anarchism is just as wrong and intellectually lazy as anarcho-capitalism and libertarianism

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

Oh, hey, speaking of killing people:

Expelled Delhi student 'stabs teacher to death in front of classmates taking exam'

Mukesh Kumar, a Hindi teacher at a government school in Nangloi, west Delhi, was punched and stabbed repeatedly by a student who barged into a classroom during an exam at around 5pm on Monday, according to school authorities.

He was allegedly joined by another student sitting the exam, who left his seat and took part in the attack.

The two pupils, who are understood to be aged 17 and 18, had been warned they would be denied permission to complete an examination due to a lack of attendance, local media reports.

The student who allegedly initiated the attack had recently been expelled, according to NDTV.

It got about 1.5 column inches on page 2 today. That corrupt, greedy professional football bloke got a full page yesterday and that racist drink-driver who hates the English and Jews wanting his new film to be a success got about a page today, plus a half-page photograph. Some guy's been bitten on the penis by a redback while on the toilet again and that got a third of a page, part of which was a large photograph (of a spider, not of his penis). Teacher murdered by a pair of skiving fucks who thought they were entitled to high grades for no work? Eh, whaddaya gonna do?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

Rescue worker cries with joy after digging for four hours to rescue baby girl

Footage has emerged of a Syrian rescue worker breaking down in tears after rescuing a child from the aftermath of an air strike in rebel-held Idlib city.

After digging for four hours, a member of the Syrian Civil Defence, volunteer first responders also known as the White Helmets, carries the girl from the rubble to a waiting ambulance.

The video shows the civilian volunteer clutching the girl to his chest as medics wipe the blood and dust from her face.

She is said to be as young as one month old.

German mayor who wants to accommodate refugees beaten up in suspected xenophobic attack
Mayor previously received several death and bomb threats

Joachim Kebschull, 61, mayor of Oersdorf, was struck on the back of the head with a club or wooden beam on his way to a town hall meeting.

Mr Kebschull lost consciousness and was taken to hospital, German newspaper Bild reports.

Earlier in the day, the Oersdorf mayor received a threatening letter reading: "He who will not hear must feel."

The mayor has received several death threats and town hall has had to cancel two meetings on whether to allow refugees to move into local housing because of bomb threats.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 pm UTC

It takes a special kind of world leader to Godwin himself.

I miss the days where the US could just subtly replace any regime that was causing us problems in one of our allied states...

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:21 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I miss the days where the US could just subtly replace any regime that was causing us problems in one of our allied states...

Yeah that didn't turn out so well most of the time...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:It takes a special kind of world leader to Godwin himself.

I miss the days where the US could just subtly replace any regime that was causing us problems in one of our allied states...

That's because we could install such great leaders as Augusto Pinochet and Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, right?
In all fairness...

Return to “News & Articles”