The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

DaBigCheez

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 pm UTC

Seems like a lot of the "high gun ownership, low gun homicide" states are fairly rural - population more spread out, combined with higher gun ownership for purposes of hunting and the like.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat May 26, 2018 7:27 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Can we all just pretend D.C. doesn't exist, just so I can point at a big, empty space there? Thank you.
I suggest an adjusted weighting for each state based upon the raw value for each neighbour.

(And that there population density thing, too.)

The details I leave up to you (but respective lengths of land border might be a useful start, before considering road-rich boundaries vs those that are Miles And Miles Of Nothing Between Two Massively Nothing States, etc).

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 pm UTC

I'm guessing to get proper weights you are going to need to find the correlation coefficients between the homicide rate and things like population density, poverty rate, property crime, drug use, climate, etc. The details are outside of my comfort zone.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Seems like a lot of the "high gun ownership, low gun homicide" states are fairly rural - population more spread out, combined with higher gun ownership for purposes of hunting and the like.

That did occur to me with Iceland on the previous chart. It's a huge area with about the same population as Liverpool, and sometimes starving polar bears wash up on the coast. They have BIG rifles because sometimes, just sometimes, they NEED big rifles.

Idaho looks like somewhere someone could tolerate being.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm UTC

What happens when you combine an aging demographic with a country awash in guns? Crazy suicidal old people who can't tell friend from foe, and are heavily armed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/heal ... entia.html
The experts suggests a firearms trust, where you take them away when the trustee crosses a red flag, like dementia, or disability. This assumes you have friends and family who care enough to establish something for you. For the loners, we'll find out when they shoot themselves, or others.

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 26, 2018 10:42 pm UTC

oh, yes....
The mean old bastards, armed and determined to survive.

How did this turn into the Gun Thread?
There is a dedicated Thread for that.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sat May 26, 2018 11:49 pm UTC

sardia wrote:What happens when you combine an aging demographic with a country awash in guns? Crazy suicidal old people who can't tell friend from foe, and are heavily armed.
The experts suggests a firearms trust, where you take them away when the trustee crosses a red flag, like dementia, or disability. This assumes you have friends and family who care enough to establish something for you. For the loners, we'll find out when they shoot themselves, or others.

My family took my grandfather's guns (hunting rifles plus a handgun) away when he moved into assisted living and gave them to the police department to deal with. I'm still incredibly, incredibly happy that prior to that, they were in a locked safe and my grandfather had no key (my parents took it away because of dementia).

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:...but do have a different figure which is still useful.
Looking at that chart, I see no relationship between the two variables on the graph. A relationship would have the dots strung out along some path. But these are just all over the place. There are a few interesting outliers but no trend, as you later illustrate with Rexthor, the dog-bearer (and unrelated "data").

quoted in that post, Sableagle wrote:In the United States, the percentage of households with one or more rifles is reported to be

[...]
2004: 21.0%
[...]

In Louisiana, the percentage of households with one or more guns is reported to be

2004: 55.04%
I take it we're not supposed to notice that you're comparing households with rifles to households with guns of any sort? This kind of invalidates any conclusions that would be drawn, such as your "Somehow Louisiana's over double the average...". Because it's not.

Sableagle wrote:Can we all just pretend D.C. doesn't exist...
Maybe they just have bad aim? :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:
sardia wrote:What happens when you combine an aging demographic with a country awash in guns? Crazy suicidal old people who can't tell friend from foe, and are heavily armed.

My family took my grandfather's guns (hunting rifles plus a handgun) away when he moved into assisted living and gave them to the police department to deal with. I'm still incredibly, incredibly happy that prior to that, they were in a locked safe and my grandfather had no key (my parents took it away because of dementia).
I'm glad for you, too. Gun Safes should be Required.
Now...As dark as this is, we have dedicated Threads for chatting about Guns.
Like most folk, I have a lot to say on the subject.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun May 27, 2018 7:29 am UTC

ucim wrote:A relationship would have the dots strung out along some path. But these are just all over the place.
Like I said, try population density, prosperity, income inequality and the like.

ucim wrote:I take it we're not supposed to notice that you're comparing households with rifles to households with guns of any sort? This kind of invalidates any conclusions that would be drawn, such as your "Somehow Louisiana's over double the average...". Because it's not.
Ah. Too many states, too many tables that look too similar, too few spoons.

gunpolicydotnet wrote:In the United States, the percentage of households with one or more guns is reported to be

2017: 42.0%
2016: 39.0%
2015: 41.0%
2014: 31.0%
2013: 37%
2012: 33.1%
2010: 31.1%
55%'s still way above that average.

... so, how about those Afghan interpreters? Are they being thrown to the hyenas or what?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun May 27, 2018 7:49 pm UTC

Holy crap, Obama really did do wonders for gun ownership in the US. His most successful policy to date!

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Holy crap, Obama really did do wonders for gun ownership in the US. His most successful policy to date!

I don't think the figurehead matters in this case, any Democrat would have been painted as the antichrist of guns. The firearms industry struggles whenever there is a Republican in charge. I really dislike the lobbyists for these groups; nobody tells me what to fear, or how many guns I need to stop feeling afraid.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 pm UTC

Are there lobbyists from any particular group that you don't dislike?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 28, 2018 3:47 am UTC

So...

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Tommy Robinson, one of the founding members of the English Defense League, a xenophobic and racist bunch, has been arrested and sentenced to 13 months of prison. The crime is for filming outside the courthouse where the trial for one of the sex abuse rings was occurring. A judge had ruled that the media couldn't report on his arrest.

The guy is an utter prick, but so many things don't make sense, and I think the story is missing key details.

1) He was sentenced almost immediately after his arrest
2) The British are not allowed to report on trials
3) More importantly, the British aren't allowed to report on the details of Tommy's arrest

I mean, the guy is an utter prick and really, whatever happens to him he deserves, but I'm just frightened by the idea that a government can order reporters not to report on something. Other than national security issues, which I don't think this is. Again, I think I'm missing some key details here, because otherwise, well, Airstrip One.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon May 28, 2018 6:56 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So...

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Tommy Robinson, one of the founding members of the English Defense League, a xenophobic and racist bunch, has been arrested and sentenced to 13 months of prison. The crime is for filming outside the courthouse where the trial for one of the sex abuse rings was occurring. A judge had ruled that the media couldn't report on his arrest.

The guy is an utter prick, but so many things don't make sense, and I think the story is missing key details.

1) He was sentenced almost immediately after his arrest
2) The British are not allowed to report on trials
3) More importantly, the British aren't allowed to report on the details of Tommy's arrest

I mean, the guy is an utter prick and really, whatever happens to him he deserves, but I'm just frightened by the idea that a government can order reporters not to report on something. Other than national security issues, which I don't think this is. Again, I think I'm missing some key details here, because otherwise, well, Airstrip One.

It's an exceptional circumstances thing, not a standard occurance. In this case the judge is probably worried that reporting on the details of Tommy's arrest could influence the jurers in the sex abuse trial (hence why the reporting ban is to the end of the sex abuse trial). There's a guideline document on reporting restrictions in UK trials here: https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content ... 2016-2.pdf I'm not sure how I feel about them - the principle of a free press, and the principle of equitable justice are both ones I hold dear, and this is one attempt to decide what to do when they conflict directly. I haven't read the document so I can't comment on whether I think they've got it right.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 28, 2018 2:32 pm UTC

The sex abuse rings were beyond screwed up, mostly because the local authorities intentionally covered them up and let them continue for so long, because the labour party was afraid exposing them would, depending upon your view, alienate their voters or cause a racist backlash. "Group of Pakistanis kidnapping white girls and forcing them into prostitution while the government covers it up" is literally the most racist story a bigot could possibly make up, and yet it happened. And not just in one city either.

And while I utterly despise the EDL, given that the British were already covering up the sex abuse, the whole secrecy around Tommy Robinson's arrest is just beyond suspicious.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 29, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Seems like a lot of the "high gun ownership, low gun homicide" states are fairly rural - population more spread out, combined with higher gun ownership for purposes of hunting and the like.

In general, gun culture is largely rural. Needing to shoot a bear was a normal thing growing up, and happened on several occasions. It has happened exactly zero times since I moved to the east coast, and I have no reason to expect that to change. So, yeah, you do end up with rural populations being much more likely to view guns as merely tools, while urban populations view them differently(symbols of violence or power, perhaps).

Some states have a way to handle this through state law, but yeah, in practice, the mental health system is pretty awful at identifying impending risks.

If you set up a system for yourself/your family, that's excellent. Unfortunately, a lot of humanity is not terribly forward looking, and dementia does have a way of sneaking up on folks.

sardia wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Holy crap, Obama really did do wonders for gun ownership in the US. His most successful policy to date!

I don't think the figurehead matters in this case, any Democrat would have been painted as the antichrist of guns. The firearms industry struggles whenever there is a Republican in charge. I really dislike the lobbyists for these groups; nobody tells me what to fear, or how many guns I need to stop feeling afraid.

This is likely. Clinton was also portrayed as the devil incarnate with regards to firearms. He pushed the original assault weapons ban, and this greatly contributed to polarization. Had Hillary been elected instead of Trump, the same conflict would have almost certainly happened, as people assumed more restrictions were coming.

Fear of restrictions ends up driving a lot of sales and NRA memberships. Both see a big spike whenever it seems like gun regulations have some traction.

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm UTC

How ingenious.
Have you heard Trump's take on Guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgybgEKHHI

If a Democrat had said such a thing....
Of course, he has back peddled.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 pm UTC

addams wrote:If a Democrat had said such a thing....
Of course, he has back peddled.

Trump is not a very diehard Republican. He's just understands which side his bread is buttered on, really. He throws ideas out to see what people bite for, takes credit for anything apparently successful, and ditches the failures hard.

It's worked out pretty well for him so far, I suppose.

If he HAD stuck to his guns(irony intended), I'm sure the NRA would have gone nuts with outrage. When Republican folks have gone full on anti-gun, the NRA gets quite unhappy with them indeed.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:59 am UTC

Hungary considers passing law that would make offering food to refugees a criminal offence

If approved in its current form criminal penalties could be imposed on groups accused of supporting or financing illegal immigration.

As a result those offering food or legal advice or printing leaflets with information for asylum seekers, could be guilty of an offence.

In power since 2010, Mr Orban has campaigned on a platform of fierce hostility to immigration for years - policies that have put him at odds with the EU, which funds Hungary with billions of euros every year.
It may be worth noting that
... because apparently that kind of detail needs pointing out these days.

"It would be very easy to say I'm not targeted. I'm privileged. I'm white. I'm European. But people are in different situations, and I really feel that we have to think twice if we risk our [refugee] friends," says Aliz.

Under the proposal, those who distribute food and informational leaflets, or offer legal advice to asylum-seekers could serve jail time.

The UNHCR has asked the Hungarian parliament to withdraw the measure, claiming that it would "deprive people who are forced to flee their homes of critical aid and services, and further inflame tense public discourse and rising xenophobic attitudes".

The proposed legislation is the latest in a series of draft bills called "Stop-Soros", which aim to curb civil society groups and NGOs working on asylum issues in the country.

The previous Stop Soros bill included a 25 percent tax on foreign funds received by NGOs working on migration. While the new proposal appears to have dropped this provision, the draft legislation now contains language about punitive measures against activists and individuals helping migrants.
Daniel Mikecz, a political analyst at the Republikon Institute, a liberal-leaning think-tank in Budapest, says that focusing on migration has become a winning strategy for the Fidesz government.

"The point is to find conflicts, develop those conflicts where you can have a majority, and migration is such an issue. Most NGOs and civil society groups won't be affected by this law. So the government can say there are some NGOs, some activists, that are working against Hungary's sovereignty," Mikecz says.

The issue of migration is also connected to the government's attempt to stave off Hungary's demographic decline. Liberal democracy as Orban recently said, "has been exhausted" and "fails to deliver".

Orban has instead espoused the virtues of "Christian democracy" by promoting traditional families and an increase in the country's birth rate, to defend against refugees described as "Muslim invaders".

Currently, Muslims make up 0.4 percent of Hungary's total population.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:35 pm UTC

No legal advice? I would be worried about how this could be extended into fascism, except it is already there. Why stop at refugees? If someone is accused of a crime it should be illegal to work as an attorney for them. In fact, being accused of a crime should itself be a crime. Appealing a sentence should be considered contempt of court.

/snark

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:... fascism, except it is already there.
Croatia's far right pushes for vote to curb minority rights

The "People Decide" group said it has collected nearly 400,000 signatures for a vote on a proposal to reduce the number of lawmakers in Croatia's parliament from 150 to a maximum 120, curb the number of MPs representing ethnic minorities and ban them from voting on crucial issues such as forming Croatia's government and the national budget.

The "People Decide" group said it has collected nearly 400,000 signatures for a vote on a proposal to reduce the number of lawmakers in Croatia's parliament from 150 to a maximum 120, curb the number of MPs representing ethnic minorities and ban them from voting on crucial issues such as forming Croatia's government and the national budget.

Like, deja vu or something, dude.

Ugh. *headdesk* I don't want to be around to watch it happen again.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:16 am UTC

Not sure if anybody posted this, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that George Takei is no longer considered a rapist. yay? https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html
It's a shame he had to face false accusations.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:55 pm UTC

Yep.
That's kind of 'old News'.
I do muse about the Stock Market.

Someone is telling the AI what to do.
I have a suspicion, the U.S. economy is being artificially supported.
Like the Power Grid, a Political Reason can set 'things' in motion.

The Stock Market can crash.
Or; The lights might go out.
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/ ... ower-grid/

Who knows What was on the thumb drives Snowden gave Moscow?
I am confident Snowden did not then and does not now know.

He had thousands and thousands of pages.
He wasn't comfortable with us having it.

I'm not comfortable with 'them' having it.
It's digital warfare and we are the losers.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

This is really just a sad situation all around. Thoughts?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 716950002/
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am UTC

One year ago, Protect Our Defenders (POD) Advisory Board member, Major General (ret.) Robert D. Shadley, published a blog called “Eradicating the Cancer of Sexual Assault in the Military” where he discussed the basic steps necessary towards ending sexual assault and harassment.

This month, Major General Shadley has continued his thoughts in his new blog, “Preventing the Growing Cancer of Sexual Assault.”

“While the percentage of perpetrators in any sector is quite small (e.g., 1–2% in the military), these individuals do devastating and life-changing damage to the survivors and negatively impact the organization as a whole. Organizational leaders who avoid taking action to rid the organization of perpetrators do, in fact, allow this thread to grow in diameter, length and strength, resulting in this misconduct being regarded as commonplace and part of the organizational culture.”

In this new piece, Major General Shadley further explores military sexual assault issues, including the role of those in power - and their abuse of power – regarding their response to survivors reporting sexual assault, in addition to the overall impact of this on individual survivors and the military as a whole. Read more here.

Thank you for your support and for being an integral part of our community. We will continue to press forward on reform and look forward to continuing this fight with you.

All the best,

Col Scott Jensen, USMC (ret.)
Chief Executive Officer
I do wonder what their metrics software wil make of it when and if 50 people in 50 states click the link in the email they sent to me.

Anyway, now that it's not his job any more he's started saying something must be done about this problem.

One thing that jumped out at me is that he's gone from "eliminating" the problem to "preventing" its growth. has he lost faith or does he think wider society is even worse than the frickin' army?

Also found this in the mroe recent post:
In April 2015, I attended a symposium that focused on sexual misconduct by priests in the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis in Minnesota. Also, at this same conference, the Reverend Billy Graham’s grandson presented the results of a study conducted by Liberty University. The study found there is more sexual misconduct by Protestant ministers than Catholic priests. The difference is that in Protestant churches the majority of the cases are male ministers on female parishioners, while in Catholic churches it’s priests on young men.
I can't help thinking there's something missing from that last sentence. The other difference, perhaps, or the reason people are more offended by the Catholic priests' actions, or the difference that made one more infamous than the other or something? The reason one kind has been reported more often by victims, or more fervently by the media?

Maybe by "young men" he means teenagers who still have formative years ahead of them and who are therefore likely to be more damaged by it. I don't know. It just jarred when I read it.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm UTC

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 717591002/

Man crushed by his mother's coffin dies. :shock:
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 am UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/worl ... -port.html
Sri Lanka’s president, Mahinda Rajapaksa, turned to his Chinese allies for loans and assistance with an ambitious port project, the answer was yes. Yes, though feasibility studies said the port wouldn’t work. Yes, though other frequent lenders like India had refused. Yes, though Sri Lanka’s debt was ballooning rapidly under Mr. Rajapaksa. Over years of construction and renegotiation with China Harbor Engineering Company, one of Beijing’s largest state-owned enterprises, the Hambantota Port Development Project distinguished itself mostly by failing, as predicted. With tens of thousands of ships passing by along one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, the port drew only 34 ships in 2012. And then the port became China’s. Mr. Rajapaksa was voted out of office in 2015, but Sri Lanka’s new government struggled to make payments on the debt he had taken on. Under heavy pressure and after months of negotiations with the Chinese, the government handed over the port and 15,000 acres of land around it for 99 years in December.

TLDR China sent 'easy' money to a poor country with a big ego. The project was an albatross, and by the time it was all said and done, Sri Lanka had to give up sovereignty on a port that doesn't make any money. But... it's very close to India, a rival to China. I'm not sure if China planned this, or just took advantage of a egotistical moron to get free access to a military/intelligence base.
The moron was voted out of office, but China is backing his brother to run for office.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 am UTC

sardia wrote:The moron was voted out of office, but China is backing his brother to run for office.

Hmmmmmmm. Must need another moron for the next stage of the plan.

Oh, and yes, they probably did plan it, just like the US plans its economic hits.
In all fairness...

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:52 am UTC

It's certainly been eye-opening as I've grown older (and, um, watched the last couple years of U.S. politics) to realize how much of the international influence game boils down to "find some dumbshit who will sign onto whatever exploitative plan you have in mind for his country and promote the hell out of him."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:It's certainly been eye-opening as I've grown older (and, um, watched the last couple years of U.S. politics) to realize how much of the international influence game boils down to "find some dumbshit who will sign onto whatever exploitative plan you have in mind for his country and promote the hell out of him."

I don't think the Chinese planned it, just made the best out of a bad situation. Billion dollar loan went bad? Might as well get a no strings attached military base out of it.

It's funny that we have rules(that don't work that well, but still impede) this kind of corruption, but they only work if Western aid/loans is the only game in town. We ended up driving all these countries into the arms of China, which now owns them.* At worst, the Chinese paid for a military base(china loans money, money pays chinese companies, then forgives debt), with their own money, but funneled it through Sri Lanka. By being able to crash their economy via forcing Sri Lanka to default, China neutralized political opposition to a military base.

*Is very influential.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 pm UTC

Sat 12 Aug 2017:
natraj wrote:btw nazis literally busy murdering people in charlottesville.
Wrd 27 Jun 2018:
Hate crime charges filed in fatal car attack on Charlottesville counter-protester Heather Heyer

Arsehole McShithead, 21, of Maumee, Ohio, was indicted on 30 hate crime charges, including several in connection with the Aug. 12, 2017 attack that left Heather Heyer, 32, of Charlottesville, dead.

Heyer was part of a group counter-protesting a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville when McShithead, driving a black Dodge Charger, allegedly drove into the crowd at high speed. The incident left 19 people injured.

Federal prosecutors said the attack was racially motivated.

"At the Department of Justice, we remain resolute that hateful ideologies will not have the last word and that their adherents will not get away with violent crimes against those they target," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement.

Was that the DoJ giving Trump the finger?

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm UTC

Trump can always pardon him.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:35 pm UTC

In today's bit of nightmare fuel, South Dakota has sentenced a man to death on account of his being gay.

Oh, correction. Today, Charles Rhines' appeal on the basis of discrimination was denied by the Supreme Court. The jurors said that life in prison with other men would be "sending him where he wanted to go".

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

Of course that's discrimination; the courts wont send me to women's prison, the jerks!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 am UTC

speising wrote:Trump can always pardon himself.

FTFY
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 pm UTC

Mass shooting at newspaper.

Media, please, please PLEASE, do NOT report anything except the barest of necessary details about the murderer. Don't give the bastard any more publicity, let their name be forgotten so that no more are encouraged.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Mass shooting at newspaper.

Media, please, please PLEASE, do NOT report anything except the barest of necessary details about the murderer. Don't give the bastard any more publicity, let their name be forgotten so that no more are encouraged.

Some people just specialize in unreasonable. Evidently it was 'okay" for him to nasty-stalk someone, but completely wrong for the news to report what he did.

See a lot of that these days: companies, bureaucracies, politicians, and etc. who have no shame when it comes to committing crimes. But when those acts are reported in the news? Oh, no, we must not have that, it gives us a bad image.
In all fairness...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 pm UTC

Milo also later blamed the media for reporting on his own incitement to violence against journalists.

http://observer.com/2018/06/milo-yianno ... -down/amp/
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “News & Articles”