The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mutex

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Mutex » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am UTC

Also, Cruz really doesn't need to court racists. They're already voting for him.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:27 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm partially biased because I despise the organic food movement and everything it stands for.

Were you aware that non-Americans/Europeans generally do NOT have a history of raw vegetables such as fresh salads? Turns out that when your crops are fertilized with cow poop, anything that grows on or in the ground MUST be cooked thoroughly. In the West, we began to use synthetic fertilizers thanks to Bosch-Haber, so we began to become accustomed to raw vegetables. The organic movement prefers to use the poop, which is probably better for the environment than tossing it in the river, but means that 1) organic food has shadow land use; there's a cap to how much land can be used for organic farming before they run out of cow shit, and 2) the food should NOT be eaten raw. The infamous 2011 e coli outbreak which sickened 4000 people and caused 50+ deaths was from an organic farm, but you'd never know that from the media. Why? Well, because giant megacorps are making megabucks off of organic food...

Wrong. Salads are documented well from Roman times forward.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... *.html#XVI (Roman)
http://www.medievalcuisine.com/site/med ... feldtsalat (16th century German)
http://www.godecookery.com/trscript/trscript.html (1545 - second course, salatte)

I've got LOTS more, if you care to argue.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 pm UTC

Nah, Not going to argue on this point any more.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Caesar Salad (Roman)
Waldorf Salad (16th century German)

FTFY. :P

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Initially hilarious until you start trying to understand why Cruz thought posting this video would be a vote winner. Was it that O'Rourke was daring to defend a person of colour who had a small amount of drugs found in their house? Or that he didn't immediately take the officer's side despite the facts? Or is it just that someone talking about racial injustice is obviously going to annoy racists, and that's who Cruz is explicitly trying to appeal to?

And the winner is, #3.

From not all that long ago Cruz leads a GOP backlash to ‘Black Lives Matter’ rhetoric. So O'Rourke stands convicted of being a BLM sympathizer "out of his own mouth." Cruz is dog-whistling.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm UTC

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018 ... ls-clients
Government targets 13000 Chinese asylum claims that were processed years ago.
NPR's Planet Money has learned that more than 13,500 immigrants, mostly Chinese, who were granted asylum status years ago by the U.S. government, are facing possible deportation.

Fuck you Trump, now I have to go find out if any of my relatives have asylum claims. The ironic thing is my parents voted for him.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 pm UTC

Wait, what's the reason for this? Is it Trump just being a giant ass, or is he expecting to gain something by acting like a giant ass?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:09 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Wait, what's the reason for this? Is it Trump just being a giant ass, or is he expecting to gain something by acting like a giant ass?

It's either the "rules are rules"sticklers that Trump's administration is pushing, because it's happened to others, like Irish immigrants. They're also doing it just to hurt legal or illegal immigration period. For example, if you make an error on your application, they'll just deport you instead of informing you. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... gEC47lCnX7
So the expected gain is less immigrants, which is a goal of some Populists. At this point, they should go after Trump's wife, and deport her. She definitely lied on her immigration Visa. Her visa was for Einstein or extraordinary value. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tt&ampcf=1

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:41 am UTC

sardia wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/09/28/652218318/thousands-could-be-deported-as-government-targets-asylum-mills-clients
Government targets 13000 Chinese asylum claims that were processed years ago.
NPR's Planet Money has learned that more than 13,500 immigrants, mostly Chinese, who were granted asylum status years ago by the U.S. government, are facing possible deportation.

Fuck you Trump, now I have to go find out if any of my relatives have asylum claims. The ironic thing is my parents voted for him.
Damn It!!
sardia wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Wait, what's the reason for this? Is it Trump just being a giant ass, or is he expecting to gain something by acting like a giant ass?

It's either the "rules are rules"sticklers that Trump's administration is pushing, because it's happened to others, like Irish immigrants. They're also doing it just to hurt legal or illegal immigration period. For example, if you make an error on your application, they'll just deport you instead of informing you. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... gEC47lCnX7
So the expected gain is less immigrants, which is a goal of some Populists. At this point, they should go after Trump's wife, and deport her. She definitely lied on her immigration Visa. Her visa was for Einstein or extraordinary value. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tt&ampcf=1
Chain Migration.
Chain Migration.

She brought her parents.
It's just the same old privilege showing its ugly head.

I don't dislike the woman.
I loth her husband.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:54 pm UTC

addams wrote:
sardia wrote:At this point, they should go after Trump's wife, and deport her.
I don't dislike the woman.
I loth her husband.
I just went looking for the column along the lines of: "Dear Melania, I have a spare room."

Couldn't help thinking at the time that maybe someone else needs that room more than Melania does, but when I went looking for the article ...

When you look at Melania Trump's 'I really don't ... - The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/me ... separate...
22 Jun 2018 - Click to follow. The Independent Voices ... Trump and May have made our countries centres of child abuse. We were told America was a global ...
Missing: spare ‎bed

Melania Trump wears jacket saying 'I really don't ... - The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas › US politics
21 Jun 2018 - First Lady Melania Trump has come under fire for wearing a controversial jacket she while travelling to visit migrant children held in a detention shelter on the US-Mexico border. The army green jacket was adorned with bold, white letters on the back, reading: “I REALLY DON’T ...

Why didn't someone stop Melania Trump from ... - The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas
23 Jun 2018 - A day after first lady Melania Trump stirred controversy by wearing a jacket that ... Whether the first lady anticipated – or was warned – that her ...

Did Donald Trump really have sex with his friends ... - The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas › US politics
4 Jan 2018 - Years before he could boast about the size of his nuclear button, Donald Trump got his kicks by having sex with his friends' wives.
Melania's back. But where has she been? | Hannah Jane Parkinson ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-missin...
5 Jun 2018 - Melania's only contact with the outside world was when she tweeted: “I see ... She's staying in the spare room with the lumpy mattress and the unhung Jack .... The Guardian is editorially independent, meaning we set our own agenda. ... This is important because it enables us to give a voice to the voiceless, ...

Melania Trump looks chic in navy as she and Donald fly to ... - Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Melania ... nnsylvan...
11 Sep 2018 - The first lady, 48, was seen departing for Pennsylvania on Tuesday in a navy ... First lady: Melania Trump looked solemn in navy as she left with her husband to ..... where the Tower of Voices will eventually include a wind chime for each of ..... Lady Gaga kisses 'friend for life' co-star Bradley Cooper as she ...

Embarrassed Barron Trump snatches hand away from Melania | Daily ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Embarra ... y-Melani...
21 Jan 2017 - Embarrassed Barron Trump, 10, was quick to shake off his mother's attempts to hold his hand (pictured) when the world's cameras were ...

Ronald Kessler talks how Melania Trump became a powerful first lady ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Melania ... s-new-bo...
2 Apr 2018 - 'She always seems to have the pulse on the right move and the right person ... An independent thinker, Melania does not necessarily take sides ...

To free or not to free Melania? - Videomuzic
https://www.videomuzic.eu › Home › Fashion
25 Jan 2017 - Different opinion divided press: Spare me the calls to 'free Melania' – she ... Indipendent reports :http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/donald-trump-free- ... made her bed with Egyptian cotton sheets”, but there's something quite haunting about that facial expression. ... I have no sympathy for Melania Trump.

Donald Trump performs double fist pump as he arrives at 9/11 ...
https://www.standard.co.uk › News › World
11 Sep 2018 - The US president was pictured with First Lady Melania Trump as he raised ... Family members of Flight 93, some of their voices breaking, read ...

1,264,810 copies of the Daily Mail sold every day.

The head office is located in Northcliffe House in Kensington, London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Anyone got a spare meteorite impact they're not using?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:31 pm UTC

addams wrote:I don't dislike the woman.
I loathe her husband.
She chose him. She chose him knowing what kind of person he was. That says plenty about her.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:41 am UTC

ucim wrote:She chose him knowing what kind of person he was.

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. Bill Clinton was a very, very charismatic liar. You don't think he managed to fully convince Hillary that he intended to keep his marriage vows?

(I'm not saying she couldn't have sold out and been complicit in some of the other morally questionable stuff that enriched them as a couple. Or that she couldn't have knowingly participated in some of the cover-ups that followed some of his sexual indiscretions. But to say that she knew from the get-go that he would cheat on her, and was fine with it, smells like hogwash to me.)
Last edited by ObsessoMom on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:46 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. Bill Clinton was a very, very charismatic liar. You don't think he managed to fully convince Hillary that he intended to keep his marriage vows?

She's, at the very least, complicit. Though ivanka and Jared are probably worse. It's just upsetting that you hear these commenters insisting that rules are rules. And then you find out it didn't apply to well connected people, and it's all an excuse to rewhiten the country.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 am UTC

sardia wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:

She's, at the very least, complicit. Though ivanka and Jared are probably worse. It's just upsetting that you hear these commenters insisting that rules are rules. And then you find out it didn't apply to well connected people, and it's all an excuse to rewhiten the country.

Sorry, my edit above was ninjaed.

My point is that participating in a cover-up of your spouse's misdeeds after the fact is--although certainly not commendable--not the same as being armed with foreknowledge of the misdeeds they will commit, and choosing to marry them in spite of that foreknowledge.

If you're going to invest energy in hating someone, it should be for stuff they actually had some control over, in my opinion.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:
I loathe her husband.
She chose him. She chose him knowing what kind of person he was. That says plenty about her.

Jose
(tisk...) Don't judge.
Well,...You can Judge him and his creepy ManChild Judge.
But; Not an illegal immigrant that had the chance to pull the Brass Ring.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 am UTC

First (ObsessoMom), I'm referring to Melania, not Hillary. But you knew that.

Second, I'm not implying any foreknowledge of misdeeds. I'm implying knowledge of the character of the person. The Clintons met in law school, were inseparable soon after they met, married each as a first timer, and were at very similar life stages. They navigated life together, as equals. In contrast, Melania was a foreigner, twenty-five years younger, worked illegally in the US, and married a man of power knowing he had divorced his prior wife after divorcing his prior prior wife. Not at all the same.

Pulling the brass ring is one thing, but you are still responsible for all the compromises you make to do so.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am UTC

Yep....
She was Brunching with The Best.
She had every monetary luxury.

She had a beautiful Baby Boy.
Stormy stung, but not much.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:27 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:

(I'm not saying she couldn't have sold out and been complicit in some of the other morally questionable stuff that enriched them as a couple. Or that she couldn't have knowingly participated in some of the cover-ups that followed some of his sexual indiscretions. But to say that she knew from the get-go that he would cheat on her, and was fine with it, smells like hogwash to me.)

also, there is a possibility (albeit small) that they have an open marriage.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
I loathe her husband.

Jose

Perhaps. But he chose to be that kind of person. Thus, responsibility rests primarily with him.

But yeah, it is odd that the anti-immigration followers don't see an issue with her. Eh, hypocrisy isn't much of a lever, seems like.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
ucim wrote:
I loathe her husband.

Jose

Perhaps. But he chose to be that kind of person. Thus, responsibility rests primarily with him.

But yeah, it is odd that the anti-immigration followers don't see an issue with her. Eh, hypocrisy isn't much of a lever, seems like.
White immigrants from non-shithole countries are not a problem.

It is the Brown/Black Flood that will cause the loss of the country.
(sigh...) Haven't you been paying attention?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:55 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:

also, there is a possibility (albeit small) that they have an open marriage.

I'm always suspicious of "open marriages" when one partner is clearly more powerful than the other. It stinks of "either you accept my infidelity or good luck finding another husband as a single mom at your age". That's probably not the case in this particular instance though; I think it was more Hilary saying "I don't give a crap what you do, I just want to be as powerful as possible".

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:also, there is a possibility (albeit small) that they have an open marriage.

I'm always suspicious of "open marriages" when one partner is clearly more powerful than the other. It stinks of "either you accept my infidelity or good luck finding another husband as a single mom at your age". That's probably not the case in this particular instance though; I think it was more Hilary saying "I don't give a crap what you do, I just want to be as powerful as possible".

I... don't disagree, sadly. Both Clintons are quite driven people, and they were always known as 'power couple'. I'm willing to bet some sort of arrangement about his infidelity was made a long time ago.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:Caesar Salad (Roman)
Waldorf Salad (16th century German)

FTFY. :P

Raw salads are generally fine, but never eat a raw waldorf.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm UTC

I'm told they can be pretty salty.

nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:24 am UTC

Sorry, everyone, and especially Jose--I don't know how I managed to confuse Hillary Clinton with Melania Trump. Major stupidity on my part.

I agree that Donald Trump's well-documented history of infidelity before marrying Melania would, indeed, have given Melania a pretty good inkling of what she would probably be in for in the infidelity department.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:25 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:I agree that Donald Trump's well-documented history of infidelity before marrying Melania would, indeed, have given Melania a pretty good inkling of what she would probably be in for in the infidelity department.
The infidelity department is the absolute least of it. Their marital issues are really nobody's business but theirs. I am more talking about the complete amorality, childishness, self-centeredness, pettiness, vindictiveness, and general fuck-you-all-ness of the person she married. And she chose to marry him knowing all this.

Why?

For the bennies? I'd say probably. And what does that say about Melania?

Jose

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 am UTC

I don't think Melanie is nearly as ruthlessly ambitious as Hilary though. She wants as much attention and money as possible, but she doesn't seem to want to actually be forced to have to deal with the headaches of being a governor other powerful politician.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:I agree that Donald Trump's well-documented history of infidelity before marrying Melania would, indeed, have given Melania a pretty good inkling of what she would probably be in for in the infidelity department.
The infidelity department is the absolute least of it. Their marital issues are really nobody's business but theirs. I am more talking about the complete amorality, childishness, self-centeredness, pettiness, vindictiveness, and general fuck-you-all-ness of the person she married. And she chose to marry him knowing all this.

Why?

For the bennies? I'd say probably. And what does that say about Melania?

Jose

O.O.McIntyre,Jan'37 wrote: Someone sends me a clipping from Columnist Lyons with this honey:

“They are telling this of Lord Beaverbrook and a visiting Yankee actress. In a game of hypothetical questions, Beaverbrook asked the lady: ‘Would you live with a stranger if he paid you one million pounds?’ She said she would. ‘And if be paid you five pounds?’ The irate lady fumed: ‘Five pounds. What do you think I am?’ Beaverbrook replied: ‘We’ve already established that. Now we are trying to determine the degree.”
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 pm UTC

Far be it for me to be a Melania apologist, but, to be fair, there could be less base thought processes in play.

Sometimes the partner of an asshole will protest, saying "But they don't see how he really is! He's really sweet with me!"

And sometimes they will see the asshole side and feel like "But I can change him! I can bring out the good I see within!"

I mean, most likely if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is indeed a duck, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable totally writing off Melania in that way without at least some other evidence.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:24 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
I loathe her husband.
I feel that (in a way) the mere question of "is she a good person?" is illegitimate. 99% of the time we're only asking it by virtue of association. And judgement by association is pretty slipshod, even for super informal use.

If she ever runs for an office I'll consider the question (and the question of her intelligence). If I ever come to know her in person I'd consider the question in a very different manner.

If she gets I reality show, I won't watch it because I don't watch reality shows. Guessing badly, this seems the best analogy to why most people care. But (in my impression) there's a faint hint of the question "does she need to be punished for his actions?".
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:And judgement by association is pretty slipshod, even for super informal use. [...] there's a faint hint of the question "does she need to be punished for his actions?".
Normally, I'd agree. But when the association is with somethingn that odious, it has merit. It's like somebody voluntarily marrying into the mafia.

And it's not about punishing her; it's about just how much sympathy she merits for the position she put herself in.

Jose

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 pm UTC

There was an anecdote with Melania in it that I found telling:

The background was some Trump-branded time-share apartment project that had gone bankrupt, with people losing their substantially downpayments. People were amazed - how could the richest man in the world go bankrupt? Turned out, the project had only rented the Trump name but had no other input from Trump. Trump did marketing for the project, and he was some money for that.

Now, the anecdote: one of the scam victims told how she signed her contract during a gathering without Trump, but with Melania. And she had talked to Melania. They had exchanged recipes, Melania had asked in which wing she was considering to buy, and had said something like" how nice, we are planning to take an apartment in the same wing, we will be neighbours. We can taste each others recipes!" What a nice, down to earth woman Melania had been.

Of course, the Trumps were not going to take an apartment in the project. Someone just paid them for a number of marketing talks, and talks with Melania were cheaper than Trump himself. In other words, Melania is just another of the con men family.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:44 pm UTC

She.
She married into a Crime Family.
She is expected to bend herself to The Family will.

Let's go back to wondering about the practices of our employee's work lives. What they do is our Right to know.
We are paying the members of this administration to work against us and keep as many secrets as possible.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:48 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:There was an anecdote with Melania in it that I found telling:

The background was some Trump-branded time-share apartment project that had gone bankrupt, with people losing their substantially downpayments. People were amazed - how could the richest man in the world go bankrupt? Turned out, the project had only rented the Trump name but had no other input from Trump. Trump did marketing for the project, and he was some money for that.

Now, the anecdote: one of the scam victims told how she signed her contract during a gathering without Trump, but with Melania. And she had talked to Melania. They had exchanged recipes, Melania had asked in which wing she was considering to buy, and had said something like" how nice, we are planning to take an apartment in the same wing, we will be neighbours. We can taste each others recipes!" What a nice, down to earth woman Melania had been.

Of course, the Trumps were not going to take an apartment in the project. Someone just paid them for a number of marketing talks, and talks with Melania were cheaper than Trump himself. In other words, Melania is just another of the con men family.

Do you have a source? Not sure how to Google this.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

Good to push for a citation, it turns out the story was about Ivanka and I misremembered. Read the story anyway, it gives an interesting view . You could hire Trump to lie on your behalf, including scheduled lies from his children. Not even that expensive, for a supposed billionaire...

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html
Simms, 50, and Sapol, who went to the same party with her husband, Jeff, remembered meeting Ivanka Trump as waiters served canapés.

"She was joking around that she was my upstairs neighbor, and she could borrow sugar from me," Simms recalled.

A few weeks later, Donald Trump Jr. met potential buyers at a similar event at the U.S. Grant Hotel in San Diego. A Trump Baja newsletter, sent by the sales team to those who put down deposits, reported that he "flew in from New York to purchase a suite at the event and meet with fellow buyers."

In fact, according to court documents, Trump Jr. did not buy a condo at the Baja resort.
[...]
The Trumps did collect $500,000 in licensing fees from developers Jason Grosfeld and Adam Fisher, the principals behind Irongate and P.B. Impulsores.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

At half a mil per lie, that does seem like a reasonable path to becoming a billionaire. Particularly when the family works together to distribute the hard task of lying on a daily basis.

I get paid a lot less for (among other things) not lying. Clearly I've chosen the less lucrative route.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:At half a mil per lie, that does seem like a reasonable path to becoming a billionaire. Particularly when the family works together to distribute the hard task of lying on a daily basis.

I get paid a lot less for (among other things) not lying. Clearly I've chosen the less lucrative route.

The prerequisites you're missing is a rich Daddy to bankroll your life. Now I don't think you need millions of dollars like Trump did but I'm sure somewhere between the first million and the 500th, it helped.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm UTC

Remember all the discord Fake news by Russians caused? Now Americans want in on that action. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/tech ... ation.html
What Right Wing News did was part of a shift in the flow of online disinformation, falsehoods meant to mislead and inflame. In 2016, before the presidential election, state-backed Russian operatives exploited Facebook and Twitter to sway voters in the United States with divisive messages. Now, weeks before the midterm elections on Nov. 6, such influence campaigns are increasingly a domestic phenomenon fomented by Americans on the left and the right.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 pm UTC

Water; Water, Everywhere.
India.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXi_LbYO5k

France.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3exMQjt7bOY
That was two days ago.
Remember two years ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ESo5u4Fu0

USA? Look it up.
The Carolinas and Mexico Beach and Miami.

My point?
The News is dark.
We have more water than we know what to do with, in all the Wrong places.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 pm UTC

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/18/65825548 ... us-freedom
In a case that surprised no one, conservatives/Trump administration are hypocrites when it comes to religious freedom.
One aspect of Warren's defense is based on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, also known as RFRA. At root, Warren is saying that his faith compels him to offer assistance to people in dire need, including immigrants.

Congress passed RFRA in 1993 with an eye toward protecting the exercise of religious beliefs, particularly of religious minorities, by providing narrow exceptions to neutral laws that apply to everyone.

While I'm sure the Trump administration is being hypocritical, I'm not sure if I support the religious guy in this case. Sure he's being a good guy, but the defence here chose is being used for discrimination. We'll see if he wins later this year.

Return to “News & Articles”