The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Thesh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Trump condemns 'evil racism' in Charlottesville.

Clearly it's shameful that the president of the United States had to be forced into condemning fascist-saluting racists and KKK members (is it just me or did 400+k US citizens die defeating the fascism these 'patriots' are celebrating?) but I'm heartened that he was forced to say it...

Too little, too late.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:

Clearly it's shameful that the president of the United States had to be forced into condemning fascist-saluting racists and KKK members (is it just me or did 400+k US citizens die defeating the fascism these 'patriots' are celebrating?) but I'm heartened that he was forced to say it...

Too little, too late.

While I agree with you, I take it as a slight political victory in that Trump is realizing that his "moat" is disappearing, and that he needs to start actually being a leader should he want to be re-elected in 2020.

Under "normal" circumstances, I don't think Trump would have changed his message. So I see this as an improvement.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:

Too little, too late.

I'm not implying some form of moral high-ground for the misogynistic, racist, self-centred, immature, half-wit shitbag. I'm just pleased that public opinion still has some power over the behavior of the orange man-child the USA elected president.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm UTC

It is notable that 35 hours passed between his "too little too late" tweet and the next one (going back to Washington to work on military and trade). Somewhat unusual for him, and the tweets following the break came through in quick succession on 'safe' subjects with comparatively little to object to.

(Including petulantly rebranding the protest resignation as basically "I don't care that he doesn't want to be my friend, 'cos he smells and needs to take a bath to clean up his own stinky stink!"...)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:
Thesh wrote:

Too little, too late.

I'm not implying some form of moral high-ground for the misogynistic, racist, self-centred, immature, half-wit shitbag. I'm just pleased that public opinion still has some power over the behavior of the orange man-child the USA elected president.

Well, an unidentified source at Fox News says he's considering pardoning Joe Arpaio, which would be Trump deliberately showing that actions speak louder than words and thus is doing everything he can to flat-out endorse Nazis. So, let's wait and see what happens.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm UTC

“After we made the reservation, we spoke to a woman who was very nice to us. We told her that we are Jewish and she said that not many Jews stay at the hotel,” the father of the family staying at the hotel told Israel’s Channel 2.

“We were shocked,” he said of encountering the first sign. “None of us went to the refrigerator because we didn’t want there to be an argument but the day after that, the sign at the entrance to the pool suddenly appeared and that was a real embarrassment.”

The man said he attempted to contact the hotel’s manager but she was not at the hotel.

“It’s very strange,” he said. “Even the goyim can’t understand [why these signs are here]. There is a really nice group of Jews here from all over the world — there are barely any Israelis. Everyone is acting really respectfully. This is a very weird phenomenon. This is anti-Semitism that we had never been exposed to before.”

Ruth Thomann, the manager of the hotel, confirmed the signs had now been removed. She insisted that many Jews visit the hotel, particularly at this time of year, and they are very welcome.

The TV report said the hotel was popular with ultra-Orthodox Jewish guests from around the world because it was usually very accommodating to their needs.

The hotel management told Channel 2 it meant no harm by the signs. “There was no anti-Semitic intent and the signs were removed,” it said. “We have no problem with Jewish guests at the hotel.”

The hotel explained why, it said, the signs related specifically to Jews.

“The sign on the freezer was hung because only Jews used the workers’ refrigerator,” it said. “The sign regarding the showers was hung after two Jewish girls entered without taking a shower, ignoring a sign addressed to all guests. Therefore, a specific sign was hung to focus their attention on this.”

Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:45 pm UTC

They have a Jewish people only refrigerator?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

I think it's space in the main hotel refrigerator set aside for people who are really, really fussy and won't eat a cheese sandwich that's been within 2 miles downwind of a place that meat was cooked less than 48 hours ago, or something, so they have to bring their own food for the entire trip, in which case they probably ought to have a milk-products fridge and a separate meat-products fridge, as well as separate plates, bowls, cutlery and so on.

I know at least one family that does that, but none that have gone as far as having two separate dishwashers. I think above a certain temperature it stops counting, or something. (Luckily for one young lady, my soul is already doomed, so it's alright to get me to open the fridge door, thereby turning on the fridge light, which is symbolically lighting a fire, which is work, which is prohibited on the Sabbath, and remove the bulb from that light so that she'll be able to open it later to get something out.)

Maybe they can use the one big fridge if everything's in airtight containers.

Now I wonder what they do about the "no yeast during Pesach" rule. That'd require them to have two separate kitchens if they were going to keep serving leavened bread and yeast-based wine to other guests.

Kind of makes me appreciate Pastafarians more, although their rum habit wouldn't mix well with Ramadan.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:12 pm UTC

I'm neary as much shocked by the spelling on the sign. Might explain the lack of thinking which clearly went into its creation.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

speising wrote:I'm neary as much shocked by the spelling on the sign. Might explain the lack of thinking which clearly went into its creation.

"Neary" as much? :wink:

speising

Re: The Darker Side of the Newsum

Postby speising » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
speising wrote:I'm neary as much shocked by the spelling on the sign. Might explain the lack of thinking which clearly went into its creation.

"Neary" as much? :wink:

Yeah well ima typin on this ipad in a forum, not on a publicly visible sign of a hotel. And i'm not writing "although" instead of "also(?)".

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:07 pm UTC

Silly, nationalist citizenship laws trip up a sixth government official in Australia.

Or at least that's how it looks to me, a non-Australian. I'm interested to hear what the Aussies here think.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... resentment
TLDR even the Republican politicians condemning racism are complicit in racism.
What role do white nationalists play in feeding and aiding those goals?

Anderson: Oh, they are absolutely essential to it. When Trump began his campaign saying that Mexicans are rapists and criminals, he was sending the signal to those white nationalists that it was now their day, that they could begin to act and to say the things that they felt had been forbidden for so long because of the change and the norms brought about by the civil rights movement.

Bouie: They also serve the purpose of distancing people from the everyday, more policy-based instances of racism and racial discrimination. So, in the wake of Charlottesville, you've seen Republican officeholders, excepting the president, condemn the white supremacists in Charlottesville, condemn the violence, explicitly label the white supremacists as white supremacists. But these lawmakers who did this, whether it's Orrin Hatch of Utah or Marco Rubio of Florida or Cory Gardner of Colorado, none of them have spoken up against voter suppression regimes in Republican states.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 pm UTC

Great. The KLF are back.

The band that are so far up themselves they thought it an artistic statement to burn £1M, rather than, say, donating it to charity, feel we need them again. Oh, and there was that bollocks with the machine guns.

This is my generation so I feel qualified to comment. They wrote some catchy but trite shit, but they were douchebags then, they're douchebags now. Ignore them and they'll go away.
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

I dunno, anybody who hates Britart can't be all bad.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Great. The KLF are back.

The band that are so far up themselves they thought it an artistic statement to burn £1M, rather than, say, donating it to charity, feel we need them again. Oh, and there was that bollocks with the machine guns.

This is my generation so I feel qualified to comment. They wrote some catchy but trite shit, but they were douchebags then, they're douchebags now. Ignore them and they'll go away.

Wait, what's so terrible about burning money? All that does is basically create deflation for the remaining pounds, basically allowing the government to just print more money consequence free. So effectively, they just donated a million pounds to the treasury.

Well, other than the cost of running the printing presses I suppose, but that's not really that big a deal.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

And we want to give money to the Treasury? I used to work for the Treasury. I wouldn't trust them to rum a whelk stall. Are you enjoying the £6.2bn you've spent on two aircraft carriers that are regarded as strategically obsolete and, oh, don't have any aircraft?

No, what pisses me off is that Cancer Research, MND, UNICEF, name your charity, would have done immediate good with it. But these twats want to burn it to make a statement. Well, fuck them. I hope they have to declare bankruptcy in 12 months.
Spoiler:

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

Careful, you sound like a small government Republican, or someone who thinks they are somehow noble for tax evasion :P.

The UK (and US) is broke, so no matter what, more money does need to go to taxes to pay off the massive debt.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:03 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Careful, you sound like a small government Republican, or someone who thinks they are somehow noble for tax evasion :P.

The UK (and US) is broke, so no matter what, more money does need to go to taxes to pay off the massive debt.

Citation needed on the broke part. Japan and Greece are closer examples. Or at least you need to define stuff.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:09 am UTC

You do realize that the current national debts of both countries is around 80% of GDP, right? And with the baby boomers about to retire, it's going to get much, much worse.

Luckily for the US the debt is measured in dollars, so it's not a doomsday scenario for the US, but it is a doomsday scenario for everyone else that depends on having that debt on their books *cough*China*cough*

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You do realize that the current national debts of both countries is around 80% of GDP, right? And with the baby boomers about to retire, it's going to get much, much worse.

Luckily for the US the debt is measured in dollars, so it's not a doomsday scenario for the US, but it is a doomsday scenario for everyone else that depends on having that debt on their books *cough*China*cough*

Immigration, Trump's and session's efforts not withstanding, should blunt the Babyboomer's fall. https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52480
This mostly shows substantial challenges requiring more money/cuts. The cuts/taxes get worse as politicians stall, which of course they will. I don't see anything about going broke. This only applies to the US( sorry Britain). I'd be more curious how Japan will deal with it's debt, its at 200% of gdp, and nobody is crying yet. Maybe they'll finally end their cultural and political refusal of immigrants. They hate immigrants and have lots of debt, but they actually don't let immigrants into the country. They're sorta like us but further into the future.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 am UTC

Jumble wrote:And we want to give money to the Treasury? I used to work for the Treasury. I wouldn't trust them to rum a whelk stall. Are you enjoying the £6.2bn you've spent on two aircraft carriers that are regarded as strategically obsolete and, oh, don't have any aircraft?

No, what pisses me off is that Cancer Research, MND, UNICEF, name your charity, would have done immediate good with it. But these twats want to burn it to make a statement. Well, fuck them. I hope they have to declare bankruptcy in 12 months.

What makes you think they actually burned it? If it were me, what went into the fire would be a bunch of dollar bills and a whole lot of newsprint.
In all fairness...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 am UTC

... or a bunch of old bills that the Treasury was going to destroy anyway, which they got permission to burn on camera. Still sounds dickish.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

Man shouting 'Hitler was a good man' attacks Jewish girls in Hackney with glass bottle

There were 47 reported anti-Semitic hate crimes in Hackney, home to Europe's largest Orthodox Jewish community, in the first six months of this year.

The figure was the highest in the last five years and more than seven times the number reported in the first half of 2013, according to data compiled by the Community Security Trust.
Muslims in Bradford receive letters threatening acid attacks and to 'kill scum'

Letters seen by the Guardian included an image of a sword and the St George’s flag with the slogan “kill scum Muslims”, followed by a threat on women who wear full-face veils reading: “We are now going to do acid attacks on anyone who wears the funny black masks around your square & Bradford & other places.”

Their arrival came days before a planned demonstration by the far-right English Defence League (EDL), which also coincides with celebrations for the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.

Organisers said Saturday’s march, through Keighley and Bradford, will “protest against militant Islam”, with the group calling itself a “non-racist organisation”.

Community organisations have reported spiking levels of Islamophobic incidents in the wake of the terror attacks in Westminster, Manchester and London Bridge, as part of a rise in hate crime since last year’s EU referendum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sp3dIyNA2A

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

idonno

Postby idonno » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

Is there some consequence to killing these? The fact that they can just spray to keep them out after Katrina would seem to indicate the ecosystem doesn't actually need them. It looks like a pretty easy target for mass extermination.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31 pm UTC

They are an invasive species, so it's not a question of whether we should exterminate but rather whether we should not.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:They are an invasive species, so it's not a question of whether we should exterminate but rather whether we should not.

And how would you logistically accomplish this? Send valuable boats to kill ants instead of rescue people? Remember, if you get too close, you get swarmed by angry venomous stinging ants.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

Was answering the ethics, not the logistics.

As for logistics, mass production and release of that fly that parasitizes them?

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:27 pm UTC

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:30 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Was answering the ethics, not the logistics.

As for logistics, mass production and release of that fly that parasitizes them?

Funny thing, soap kills 90%of floating colonies because it's a surfactant. They sink and drown. Unfortunately, it kills helpful insects via drowning and doesn't spread far. Putting you at risk of angry swarming ants. Not very related, but cool. And it only works while the area is flooded.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

Lengthy flooding is also an anti-ant effect. (They can't survive weeks afloat!) Maybe we need to increase the amount, frequency and duration of flooding. If only there was a way for us humans to do that.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Lengthy flooding is also an anti-ant effect. (They can't survive weeks afloat!) Maybe we need to increase the amount, frequency and duration of flooding. If only there was a way for us humans to do that.

I heard that if you pave over all wetlands, fields, and riverbanks, you can extend and expand flood zones by several feet in height. And then there's these rumors that you can cause the climate to change on a global level. It'll make storms more intense so it'll flood harder and longer. That'll teach them ants.
I honestly hope the Trumps get swarmed by fire ants. Not that any of them will even get close to a flood zone. It drains too many resources protecting them, and the Trumps are too uppity to ever get dirty.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 am UTC

sardia wrote:And then there's these rumors that you can cause the climate to change on a global level.
Please stop spreading that Mexican hoax. Everyone knows that coal is the only way to defeat the Muslims. And once the Chinese get a hold of our health care system, North Korea will collapse, and we don't want that. Who else can we make such a Beautiful Deal with?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

idonno

Postby idonno » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:38 am UTC

sardia wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:They are an invasive species, so it's not a question of whether we should exterminate but rather whether we should not.

And how would you logistically accomplish this? Send valuable boats to kill ants instead of rescue people? Remember, if you get too close, you get swarmed by angry venomous stinging ants.

Just arm some military drones with poison and make it a training exercise.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 am UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -to-harvey
As a reminder when you want to help those suffering from Hurricane Harvey or any other disaster, do not donate to the Red Cross. They'll steal a quarter of everything you give on internal expenses. They've gone downhill since their new management has focused on profits and increased fundraising instead of helping people. They, like Trump, are doing nothing but mining the goodwill of the American People.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 am UTC

The Red Cross also fundraises for money "for" a particular crisis, but the money they raise does not go "to" that crisis. All donated money goes into a general fund, and is not earmarked for any particular purpose. (This is why so little of the vast sums of money raised "for" Haiti after the earthquake actually ended up in Haiti. The Red Cross regards every catastrophe as a fundraising opportunity, but feels no obligation to make payouts proportional to the money raised "for" any particular catastrophe.)

Also, it is always better to donate blood to your local blood bank on a regular basis than to participate in Red Cross mass blood drives whenever there's a disaster. The Red Cross doesn't actually give any of that blood to victims of the disaster they are collecting blood "for"--they just sell the donated blood they collect, and use that money to reduce the portion of monetary donations that goes to overhead, so that they look better.

Most of what the Red Cross does is take donated blood and sell it to health care providers. Of the more than $3 billion that the Red Cross spent last year, two-thirds was spent not on disaster relief but rather on the group's blood business.

The charity spent $2.2 billion on the blood business, most of which went to employee wages and benefits. By contrast, the charity spent $467 million, or 14 percent of total spending, on its famous domestic disaster response programs, including the expensive Sandy relief effort.

Nonprofit experts say that in combining the blood business spending with disaster relief spending, the Red Cross is painting a confusing picture of its operations for donors.

"It probably has the effect of making the Red Cross look better than it actually is," says Jack Siegel, a lawyer who runs the consulting firm Charity Governance.

If the Red Cross split its blood business from the rest of the charity, "their ratios would look worse. So they don't want to do that," says Borochoff of CharityWatch.

Link

I hate that the Red Cross is so problematical, because I will probably need their services myself someday, and I would like to support them, but...nope, too many red flags. No pun intended. I donate elsewhere.

K-R

Postby K-R » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:The Red Cross also fundraises for money "for" a particular crisis, but the money they raise does not go "to" that crisis. All donated money goes into a general fund, and is not earmarked for any particular purpose. (This is why so little of the vast sums of money raised "for" Haiti after the earthquake actually ended up in Haiti. The Red Cross regards every catastrophe as a fundraising opportunity, but feels no obligation to make payouts proportional to the money raised "for" any particular catastrophe.)
And why should they? Putting aside any other issues with the Red Cross, this seems like an entirely sensible way of doing things.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 am UTC

K-R wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:The Red Cross also fundraises for money "for" a particular crisis, but the money they raise does not go "to" that crisis. All donated money goes into a general fund, and is not earmarked for any particular purpose. (This is why so little of the vast sums of money raised "for" Haiti after the earthquake actually ended up in Haiti. The Red Cross regards every catastrophe as a fundraising opportunity, but feels no obligation to make payouts proportional to the money raised "for" any particular catastrophe.)
And why should they? Putting aside any other issues with the Red Cross, this seems like an entirely sensible way of doing things.

I agree. The part of ObsessoMom's post you quoted read like a ringing endorsement of the Red Cross to me.

As long as the Red Cross uses fair criteria to decide how much money to spend on any particular disaster, at least. If the criterium used is "how many white people are affected" then of course that is a problem. But I don't think we have reason to think they are doing anything like that.

An important problem is that for disaster relief you have to start giving aid immediately, but donations will take a few days to start coming in. So you have to you spend money raised for the previous disaster to help with the current one.

A lot of spending is not related to any particle disaster either. Training people is just a generic expense.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Return to “News & Articles”