The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

The Darker Side of the News

Postby Thesh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

Since people generally expect lighter news stories in the ."Other News" thread, I decided to start this thread for news that doesn't necessarily warrant its own thread, but generally leaves you feeling worse or is just plain morbid.

To start out:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/us/texas- ... ash-house/

Over100 people held for ransom rescued from stash house:

One room, where the suspect or suspects are believed to have stayed, had a mattress, fridge and weapons, Cannon said.

"The rest of the house was cordoned off, and it's where the individuals held against their will were staying -- in squalid conditions. There was one bathroom. It was filthy," the spokesman added. "The windows were boarded with plywood, and the doors were dead bolted. You can only enter from outside."

Most of those rescued said they had been at the house for two to four days, but one woman said she had been there 15 days.

Three additional suspects were caught trying to flee the residence, bringing the number of people detained to five.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Heisenberg

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Student gets suspended for trying to get help for a classmate.
The Bayside Middle School student, Adrionna Harris, said she took a razor blade away from another student because he was using it to cut himself. She threw the blade away and told school officials. Then she was suspended for 10 days, with a recommendation for expulsion, according to Virginia Beach news station WAVY.

Note that Harris didn't even have the razor blade in her possession when she went to school administrators. The only evidence this razor blade existed is Harris' own admission of it, when she told school officials what had happened and that she had already thrown it away.
Never talk to cops, Adrionna. And by cops I mean teachers.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

Are you sure that the text isn't mean to say "she was cutting the other student with the razor blade"? Because that's the only context under which that story makes sense to me.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

Fortunately they reversed their initially idiotic decision.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/03/ ... to-return/

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

From the article:
She managed to make her way back into the house but Salmon reacted by flinging her on the bed – he then choked her, pulled open her shirt and grabbed and twisted her breasts.

Okay, wow! Neither one was winning any awards for their behavior up to that point, but seriously? Any chance his sentencing will involve some mental health/anger management counseling?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

Fifteen flamingos found dead at Frankfurt zoo

The birds were killed over two consecutive nights, with their bodies found on Friday and then Saturday. Some had their heads cut off or torn off, while others were stabbed to death, reports Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Zoo director Manfred Niekisch calls this a "shocking incident" and staff are "speechless". It is not clear who or what killed the birds, but stab wounds suggest it was done by humans. Police have referred to "one or several previously unknown perpetrators" and Niekisch believes animals such as foxes or raccoons could have played a role.

Strangely, very little blood was found at the scene. Police say they are considering whether the birds were stolen from the zoo and killed, before their bodies were returned. In 2007, three flamingos at the same zoo died in a similar manner. The seven-year-old case is still unresolved.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

In 2007, three flamingos at the same zoo died in a similar manner. The seven-year-old case is still unresolved.
So there's possibly a serial flamingo killer on the loose.

I don't even...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

Maybe someone was attacked by flamingos as a kid and still hasn't recovered emotionally.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

Would've made more sense if it was geese or swans. Those bastards are evil. Also, dinosaurs. Evil dinosaurs.

Clown stalking NY. That reminds me, if you are going in a dangerous neighborhood, would it make you safer to wear a creepy clown outfit? I get the feeling that muggers and beggars would leave you alone.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am UTC

A year after making a sarcastic comment on Facebook, Justin Carter still faces prison

Last February 14, Justin Carter, then 18 years old, was indicted on a charge of "terroristic threat," a third-degree felony which carries a potential penalty of up to ten years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. The "crime"? A Facebook comment.

Carter enjoyed the online video game League of Legends, and often chatted on Facebook with other players. Internet conversations are not the most civil and polite interactions – occasionally marked by obnoxious verbal jabs, rude but essentially meaningless. In February, Carter got into a verbal exchange with another player, who suggested he was dangerous or crazy. He responded sarcastically, "I'm fucked in the head alright, I think I'ma SHOOT UP A KINDERGARTEN [...] AND WATCH THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT RAIN DOWN [...] AND EAT THE BEATING HEART OF ONE OF THEM."

The comment, made two months after the Sandy Hook school massacre, was screencapped by a Canadian woman who alerted police in Texas. Carter was initially jailed in Austin, but was moved to Comal County when it was determined that's where he actually lived. According to his pro bono San Antonio attorney, Donald Flanary, the police didn't search his house and his father's house until weeks after the arrest. They found no weapons nor threatening documents, nor anything other than the computer used to make the comments. Jennifer Carter has said that her son has "never had any kind of fascinations with real guns or anything. He didn't even own a pocket knife. The only kind of gun he was ever around were those plastic guns you use in video games," according to James Rob*erts of local blog The Horn.

Carter's bond was set at a headline-grabbing $500,000; on July 11, 2013, an anonymous donor paid it. Prior to his release, Carter endured harassment and physical abuse from other inmates, and then, reportedly for his own protection, solitary confinement. He's currently living with his grandmother in San Antonio; the conditions of his bond prevent him from living with anyone under the age of 18, even his two siblings. Additionally, he can't be within a thousand feet of any place children may gather, nor can he use the Internet, so he's been unable to find a job.

In a July 3, 2013, press release, Comal County Criminal District Attorney Jennifer Tharp said that most of the county's cases are resolved through plea negotiations. Flanary said, "They've offered things – but unless they are willing to dismiss it, there is no deal." Jennifer Carter, Justin's mother, confirmed that her son has rejected offers of ten years and eight years in prison. "We don't believe you should say that you're guilty for something that you didn't do," she said. Tharp's press release stated that, in the absence of a plea agreement, Carter's case "will be tried before a jury of twelve Comal County citizens," and that her office has no further comment.

Legally, the case may rest on Carter's actual intentions. Under section 22.07 of the Texas Penal Code, "A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to: cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service," or to "place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury."

Jennifer Carter told me that her son was clearly being sarcastic. "He was not intending to threaten anyone. He was not intending to carry out a threat against a school or children. So, why should he go to jail for that, you know? There's supposed to be free speech in this country. We're supposed to be allowed to say anything we want to, as long it's not a direct threat with serious intent behind it."

Currently, Flanary is working on a writ of habeas corpus denouncing the handling of Carter's case. He says it will include "numer*ous claims of violations of the First and Fourth and Fifth and Sixth and Eighth Amendment rights." Meanwhile, at press time, no trial date had been announced. "Basically, the hearings have just sort of kept going on and on and on," said Jennifer Carter. "They've piled so many motions I just can't keep track anymore." She and her family are trying to stay optimistic. "Every hearing, we hope that it's going to be the one where they go, 'The case is dismissed' or 'We're not going to pursue charges.' But it just keeps going on." Another hearing has been set for March 28.

Flanary commented, "Prior to [Carter's] arrest, I was optimistic that [a case like] this wouldn't happen. Then when I got on the case, I was optimistic that, in a matter of days, it would be dismissed, because it's so stupid. Then after months went on, I was optimistic that after they see us fighting and they see all this press – bad press – that they're going say, 'This is just dumb, and we're going to stop.' That didn't happen. So, am I optimistic that the judge will do the right thing? Sure. But the reality is, we are prepared to go to the highest court in the land, and, if we have to, we will."

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Clown stalking NY. That reminds me, if you are going in a dangerous neighborhood, would it make you safer to wear a creepy clown outfit? I get the feeling that muggers and beggars would leave you alone.

*looks at pictures*

*closes browser tab*

*whimpers under desk*

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Would've made more sense if it was geese or swans. Those bastards are evil. Also, dinosaurs. Evil dinosaurs.

Clown stalking NY. That reminds me, if you are going in a dangerous neighborhood, would it make you safer to wear a creepy clown outfit? I get the feeling that muggers and beggars would leave you alone.
I get the feeling that people are gullible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

Well yeah, the photos are clearly pranks.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Maybe someone was attacked by flamingos as a kid and still hasn't recovered emotionally.

Or maybe someone has finally wised up to just how truly evil those pink bastards are, what with that standing on one leg thing they always do...

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Maybe the killer is just trying to find this person.

Spoiler:

Wow, the tags are broken already. Mod madness?
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

Flamango?

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

i've always been unsure about that.
I think its ridiculous that someone thinks that can make a threat like that, and everything be ok, but the punishment is alittle much.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

I've seen people say far worse in online games than that.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm UTC

I like it when they at least try to be creative with the insults. None of this "u r so gay" nonsense, go all out. Doesn't have to be particularly insulting, just crazy enough to get the other person distracted.

E.g.,
"The fleas of ten thousand dogs infest your pubes!"

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

poochyena wrote:

I think its ridiculous that someone thinks that can make a threat like that, and everything be ok, but the punishment is alittle much.

I think the point was it wasn't a threat. He was in no way serious.

If he was being serious, Freedom of speech isn't applicable.

If he wasn't being serious at all, it does indeed apply. Otherwise we could arrest supervillain actors for saying their lines or other things of that sort.

We can't arrest people for saying things. Only if their words constitute an action themselves (Yelling fire in a theater) or if they imply serious danger.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

poochyena wrote:

Doesn't read like much of a threat. It reads like the sort of drivel young and immature people sometimes write.

Incomplete context is given; it was a Facebook comment, but it doesn't say where - was it a comment on someone's private page or was it a public page?
It's suggested that this was part of an extended exchange of banter/trash-talk between two people.
It's not unreasonable to think that someone unfamiliar with the sort exchanges that sometimes occur online might be shocked (particularly if they read it out of context), and Facebook is used by such people.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

poochyena wrote:

He made a statement that was obviously in bad taste, but it's actually quite a stretch to call it a "threat" to anybody; especially in the context of the discussion it was in.

Local law enforcement over-reacted because they didn't want to appear non-responsive so soon after Sandy Hook; and the local court system made it worse. Now, it's reached a point where it's going to be a huge embarrassment (and one hell of a lawsuit) if he isn't convicted of something so they're going to keep pushing.

The police, either deliberately or negligently, misrepresented what the kid actually wrote when it was presented to the courts. Bail was set ridiculously high for a kid with no prior record, and without any evidence that he was a threat or a flight risk. People are going to lose their careers over this thing unless this kid goes to prison for a significant amount of time.

I for one hope to see him released, free and clear, and that he and his family sue everyone involved into oblivion.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Doesn't read like much of a threat. It reads like the sort of drivel young and immature people sometimes write.

Incomplete context is given; it was a Facebook comment, but it doesn't say where - was it a comment on someone's private page or was it a public page?
It's suggested that this was part of an extended exchange of banter/trash-talk between two people.
It's not unreasonable to think that someone unfamiliar with the sort exchanges that sometimes occur online might be shocked (particularly if they read it out of context), and Facebook is used by such people.

This. One can find far worse (and more likely serious) comments all over facebook, youtube, etc every day of the week.

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Fifteen flamingos found dead at Frankfurt zoo

The birds were killed over two consecutive nights, with their bodies found on Friday and then Saturday. Some had their heads cut off or torn off, while others were stabbed to death, reports Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Zoo director Manfred Niekisch calls this a "shocking incident" and staff are "speechless". It is not clear who or what killed the birds, but stab wounds suggest it was done by humans. Police have referred to "one or several previously unknown perpetrators" and Niekisch believes animals such as foxes or raccoons could have played a role.

Strangely, very little blood was found at the scene. Police say they are considering whether the birds were stolen from the zoo and killed, before their bodies were returned. In 2007, three flamingos at the same zoo died in a similar manner. The seven-year-old case is still unresolved.

It turns out that after doing some actual investigating, they discovered that a fox was responsible. The "stab wounds" were apparently from teeth.

They did not reveal whether or not the fox was a satanist.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

So being attractive makes it okay?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

Phryne would say so.

Spoiler:
Phryne was a courtesan who was on trial in Greece. She stripped naked and said that she was too beautiful to be evil. The court agreed.

Very common theme for renaissance painters. Doesn't hurt that the watershed moment for the renaissance was a painting based on an older painting that was based on Phryne's naked bath time escapades. No, seriously.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

Danish Zoo that killed giraffe now in spotlight for killing four lions.

This might have been "in other news" last time, but the tone might be more appropriate for here.

I can, in some case, understand the giraffe, but I feel the lions are going a bit too far. Killing lions because they might die seems, frankly, a bit nonsensical to me. "There is a decent probability of death. To address this, we're going to implement the solution of certain death."

In any case I'm really not sure this was necessary.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

There is no problem that can't be solved with enough violence, the main flaw being that violence happens to create even more problems that need even more violence...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Violence, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

Eh, the Zoroastrians had it right. Fire cleanses all; set the world aflame and The Master of the Light will purify the land of all the filth. Suffer not the unclean to live. BURN! EVERYTHING WILL BURN! BECOME ONE WITH THE FLAME!

*ahem*

I just love that we actually have a religion that worships a fire god. And oddly, Fire and Earth are holy, while Water and Air are the evil ones (unlike in most depictions, where they are reversed). Oh and that happens to be what all the Abrahamic religions are loosely based on.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

World Vision announces policy to allow LGBT people to be employed by them. Rescinds the decision a few days later after massive blowback from evangelical churches.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

Wait, is that too dark for the other thread? I mean, yeah, that sort of story makes me want to stab people, but it isn't like "100 headless teddy bears found in garage".

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Danish Zoo that killed giraffe now in spotlight for killing four lions.

This might have been "in other news" last time, but the tone might be more appropriate for here.

I can, in some case, understand the giraffe, but I feel the lions are going a bit too far. Killing lions because they might die seems, frankly, a bit nonsensical to me. "There is a decent probability of death. To address this, we're going to implement the solution of certain death."

This is about money. They killed the giraffe for the meat. They killed the lions for the meat and to need l3ss meat.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Danish Zoo that killed giraffe now in spotlight for killing four lions.

This is about money. They killed the giraffe for the meat. They killed the lions for the meat and to need l3ss meat.

It was about money, yes; but they didn't kill the giraffe "for the meat". It was basically a budget issue. They are breeding giraffes, but this one was a sibling to the others they already have, so breeding it with them would lead to potential genetic issues. They don't have the budget to keep it around without breeding it; and they couldn't find another zoo to take it. It would never have survived in the wild, and they didn't have the money to transport it to be released in the first place. So it was put down. Since they were putting it down, the decision to use the meat to feed the lions makes more sense than simply throwing the meat away.

It was a similar situation with the lions. Lions have a social order. The two older ones would have been starved out by the pride, and the cubs would have been killed. Rather than have either of those things happen, they decided to put them down; because they don't have the money, room, or resources to keep a separate group of lions. In this case, like the giraffe, they attempted to find another home for the lions but were not successful.

Neither was a good situation, but these are the types of decisions that zoos make all the time.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

cphite wrote:They did not reveal whether or not the fox was a satanist.

Dammit, I thought for sure it was someone trying to make themselves more fabulous.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

LaserGuy

Re: de Darker Side ah de News

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:29 am UTC

Du Pont heir avoids jail time for raping his three year old daughter. Judge rules that he would "not fare well" in prison. Obvious trigger warning.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:49 am UTC

Copy-Paste:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/du-pont-heir-robert-richards-iv-spared-jail-raping-three-year-old-daughter-1442727

Well, we can't have rich people treated like poor people, now can we?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 am UTC

Well, if the rich could end up in prison like the rest of us, there might be a push for things like "prisoner's rights" and the removal of 3 strikes laws and "rehabilitation". But then the private prisons would stop making money and the judges would stop getting indirect kickbacks! We can't have that...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:27 am UTC

Vigilantism is a nice sounding word sometimes.

Return to “News & Articles”