Poland Grants Pastafarians Right to Register As a Religion

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Poland Grants Pastafarians Right to Register As a Religion

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:46 am UTC

"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

CorruptUser

Re: Poland Grants Pastafarians Right to Register As a Religi

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

And just in time for Pastover!

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

I'm sure government officials are giving the 'farians the benefit of the doubt, and the 'fairians are just doing their absolute best to keep a straight face during all of this.

It's insincere.

(edited for clarity)
Last edited by philsov on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

Every religion that has ever been conceived has been consciously contrary to the established religious beliefs of the culture.

From what I read in the article, they now have a two month extension to submit the paperwork. I hope they put something forward this time.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

It's going to be hilarious in a couple of hundred years when people forget that it was started as a parody and they actually believe in Pastafarianism. Just like the mormons or scientology.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Sleeper

Postby Sleeper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

Jediism has had some success in being recognized, too.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:It's going to be hilarious in a couple of hundred years when people forget that it was started as a parody and they actually believe in Pastafarianism. Just like the mormons or scientology.

Scientology was a parody that forgot the joke. It's unclear whether L Ron started believing his nonsense, realized what was going on but found out too late to escape, or actively intended to create the horror that we know today.

Not so sure about Mormonism. It was founded by a convicted con artist so it's probable that it was a scam at the start.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:14 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Scientology was a parody that forgot the joke. It's unclear whether L Ron started believing his nonsense, realized what was going on but found out too late to escape, or actively intended to create the horror that we know today.

Not so sure about Mormonism. It was founded by a convicted con artist so it's probable that it was a scam at the start.
Huh. I was less sure about Mormonism.

Some L Ron quotes:

-You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.
-I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is!
-Y'know, we're all wasting our time writing this hack science fiction! You wanta make real money, you gotta start a religion!
-Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.
-THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM. You can write that down in your book in great big letters. The only way you can control anybody is to lie to them.

Quotes about him:
He is a fraud and has always been a fraud. … My father has always used the confidential information extracted from people during [auditing] to intimidate, threaten and coerce them to do what he wanted, which often meant getting them to give him money. My father routinely used false threats and [information from confessionals] particularly about crimes people had committed to extort money from them. … My father has always held out Scientology and auditing to be based purely on science and not on religious "belief" or faith. We regularly promised and distributed publications with "scientific guarantees". This was and has always been common practice. My father and I created a "religious front" only for tax purposes and legal protection 'from fraud Claims'. We almost always told nearly everyone that Scientology was really science, not a religion, but that the religious front was created to deal with the government.
-Ron DeWolfe eldest son of Hubbard (born L. Ron Hubbard, Jr.)

Scientology is bullshit! Man, I was there the night L. Ron Hubbard invented it, for Christ's sakes! … We were sitting around one night … who else was there? Alfred Bester, and Cyril Kornbluth, and Lester del Rey, and Ron Hubbard, who was making a penny a word, and had been for years. And he said "This bullshit's got to stop!" He says, "I gotta get money." He says, "I want to get rich". And somebody said, "why don't you invent a new religion? They're always big." We were clowning! You know, "Become Elmer Gantry! You'll make a fortune!" He says, "I'm going to do it."
-Harlan Ellison, in "The Real Harlan Ellison" in Wings

Totally possible he started to believe his own bullshit, but I really don't think if was an accident.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Return to “News & Articles”