Orange is the New Black gets gender bent IRL

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Spambot5546

Orange is the New Black gets gender bent IRL

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

http://www.bnd.com/2014/07/09/3295055/e ... g-sex.html

In discussing this with my coworkers, a discussion that included one guy way to interested in what types of restraints or submission the guard may have used, we were wondering exactly why the guard did it. The article claims she was banging the inmate in “with the intent to obtain a personal advantage for herself or another,” but what personal advantage could she possibly have needed from a prison inmate? She's a guard!
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

PolakoVoador

Re: Orange is the New Black gets gender bent IRL

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

Question: wouldn't a male officer be charged with rape or something similar? What does "custodial sexual misconduct" means, legally speaking?

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm UTC

I don't understand the title of this topic in relation to the subject
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

One of the major plot points in OitNB

Spoiler:
Is a male prison guard having sex with a pregnant inmate. In this case a pregnant female guard has sex with a male inmate.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Question: wouldn't a male officer be charged with rape or something similar? What does "custodial sexual misconduct" means, legally speaking?

Silly Polako, women can't rape men. Men always want it.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

I think its basically differentiation between the rape being statutory or not. I imagine prison officials have too much power of inmates for there to legally be consent I presume. So even if both parties wanted the sex, it'd be illegal. I don't know if a man in a similar situation in a woman's prison would have the same wording. It might be.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Question: wouldn't a male officer be charged with rape or something similar?

Past performance would seem to indicate that a male officer would, 90% of the time, be charged with nothing at all.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:Question: wouldn't a male officer be charged with rape or something similar?

Past performance would seem to indicate that a male officer would, 90% of the time, be charged with nothing at all.

Then they need to crack down on it. Guard-prisonner sexual relations shouldn't happen, ever.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Question: wouldn't a male officer be charged with rape or something similar? What does "custodial sexual misconduct" means, legally speaking?

Basically, it refers to the fact that a prisoner cannot legally give consent to a guard or anyone else with that kind of authority over them; the warden, prison staff, etc.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

Vahir wrote:
Belial wrote:

Then they need to crack down on it. Guard-prisonner sexual relations shouldn't happen, ever.

Agreed, but unfortunately if we want to catalog all the things that happen in the american prison system that shouldn't happen to anyone ever, it's a very long list and no one seems super concerned about it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:http://www.bnd.com/2014/07/09/3295055/ex-guard-charged-with-having-sex.html

In discussing this with my coworkers, a discussion that included one guy way to interested in what types of restraints or submission the guard may have used, we were wondering exactly why the guard did it. The article claims she was banging the inmate in “with the intent to obtain a personal advantage for herself or another,” but what personal advantage could she possibly have needed from a prison inmate? She's a guard!

Actually the article says that she provided contraband with the intent to gain personal advantage; the fact that she was having sex with him was a separate issue.

As far as what personal advantage... It could be that the inmate had criminal connections on the outside that she could use. It's also possible that she was using this inmate as a drug connection, or that she wanted to be involved in whatever illegal activities he had going on, and the gifts were her way into that. Or... it could be that she just really wanted to have sex with him, and that that was the "personal advantage" gained by giving the gifts.

As far as why she restrained him... it could be that she wasn't quite horny enough to forget that the man she was banging was a potentially violent criminal, and that he might be using sex as a way of setting her up to be killed or hurt... or, it could be that she just gets off on being in control.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

cphite wrote:or, it could be that she just gets off on being in control.

A prison guard who gets off on being in control? Nah, not a chance.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:http://www.bnd.com/2014/07/09/3295055/ex-guard-charged-with-having-sex.html

Actually the article says that she provided contraband with the intent to gain personal advantage; the fact that she was having sex with him was a separate issue.

As far as what personal advantage... It could be that the inmate had criminal connections on the outside that she could use. It's also possible that she was using this inmate as a drug connection, or that she wanted to be involved in whatever illegal activities he had going on, and the gifts were her way into that. Or... it could be that she just really wanted to have sex with him, and that that was the "personal advantage" gained by giving the gifts.

As far as why she restrained him... it could be that she wasn't quite horny enough to forget that the man she was banging was a potentially violent criminal, and that he might be using sex as a way of setting her up to be killed or hurt... or, it could be that she just gets off on being in control.

Where does it say the man was restrained during sex? I don't see anything in the article about the use of restraints, nor about consent or lack thereof.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 am UTC

It doesn't, it's just something my boss was creepily interested in.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:44 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:
cphite wrote:or, it could be that she just gets off on being in control.

A prison guard who gets off on being in control? Nah, not a chance.

A light hearted way of addressing a Huge problem in the US.
People are drawn to jobs for different reasons.

Prison Guard is one of Those positions.
Those positions require a great deal of Supervision.

I can't remember the Kind of Supervision.
There is a word for it.

One way of providing that supervision is by Testing almost every day.
Not Piss Tests!

Written Tests.
The Test is written into the Job.

Those become records that are frequently compared.
Hey! It's a Job for some little smarty pants and it helps to protect the people inside prisons and the other guards.

It might sound like High Falooten Intellectual Mumbo Jumbo to some folks.
It sounds like Responsible OverSight to me.

People in cages are at high risk.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “News & Articles”