Australia considering China-like Web censorship.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

King Author

Australia considering China-like Web censorship.

Postby King Author » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 am UTC

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/07/leake ... s-the-web/

A leaked "Discussion Paper" from the Australian High Court shows that they're gearing up to allow content providers to sue ISPs into blocking access sites like The Pirate Bay. The content providers would be allowed to sue multiple (read: all) ISPs with a single lawsuit, so as to prevent Australian citizens from changing ISPs to one that hadn't been sued yet in an effort to outrun the censorship.

The High Court is specifically looking to overturn a previous decision that explicitly indemnified ISPs from the copyright-infringing activities of end-users.

I don't know anything about Australian politics, I don't know to what degree their government is run by their corporations, so I don't know if this "Discussion Paper" might legitimately get shot down, or if it's essentially a formality as the Australian government prepares to bow down to content providers and give them the wholesale ability to censor internet access down under. I really hope it's the former.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

WilliamLehnsherr

Re: Australia considering China-like Web censorship.

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:34 am UTC

I'm going to divide my post into an "international" and "Australian" version.

International version:
I'm probably being a tad optimistic, but I don't think much will come of this. There will be a fair amount of backlash, and the government is likely to back peddle on something like this as it's surely not at the top of their agenda. Plus the senate's pretty hostile at the moment, and even a lot of the nutjobs who were elected last year seem pretty sane when compared to the current Liberal party government. If Labor chooses to support this then it's a whole different story, but even though they've supported similar things in the past I don't think they will. If only because they're playing the "everything this government does is wrong" game. When they return to power they'll probably try to introduce something similar, and the libs in opposition will suddenly oppose it. It's how politics works.

Australian version:
I'm sure George Brandis will support my right to be bigoted against this policy.

King Author

Postby King Author » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:29 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I'm going to divide my post into an "international" and "Australian" version.

International version:
I'm probably being a tad optimistic, but I don't think much will come of this. There will be a fair amount of backlash, and the government is likely to back peddle on something like this as it's surely not at the top of their agenda. Plus the senate's pretty hostile at the moment, and even a lot of the nutjobs who were elected last year seem pretty sane when compared to the current Liberal party government. If Labor chooses to support this then it's a whole different story, but even though they've supported similar things in the past I don't think they will. If only because they're playing the "everything this government does is wrong" game. When they return to power they'll probably try to introduce something similar, and the libs in opposition will suddenly oppose it. It's how politics works.

Australian version:
I'm sure George Brandis will support my right to be bigoted against this policy.

Refresh my memory -- what's the whole Liberal/Labor divide like in Australia? Which one hates gays and science?

(Not sure if that "bigoted" thing is a reference to anything; I don't really follow Aussie politics.)
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Brace

Postby Brace » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

King Author

Postby King Author » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:04 am UTC

Brace wrote:The Liberal party is the conservative one in the American sense. Liberal in the sense of classical liberalism, Lockean values, etc, except with a healthy dose of social conservativism thrown in for no fucking reason because apparently people think that's normal everywhere.

Yeah, I understand it's very different outside the U.S. Although I do hear, quite hopefully, that what we call "left" in America is what most societies in the world consider "center-right," and what we call "right" is what most others consider "far-right."

In other words, any time I'm feeling down about how the right-wing politicians in my home country have the government in a vice grip of bigotry, racism, misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, etc., I can take solace in the fact that in most of the rest of the world, it's not so bad. Well, most of the rest of the Western world, anyway. (See topic title, heh.)

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:26 am UTC

King Author wrote:
WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I'm going to divide my post into an "international" and "Australian" version.

International version:

Australian version:

Refresh my memory -- what's the whole Liberal/Labor divide like in Australia? Which one hates gays and science?

(Not sure if that "bigoted" thing is a reference to anything; I don't really follow Aussie politics.)

Pretty much what Brace said. The Liberal/National Coalition is considered centre-right, Labor's considered centre-left. Though both parties have left and right factions, and the right faction is the dominant in both.

Also, the bigoted thing was a reference to some controversy earlier in the year when George Brandis (Attorney-General) was advocating the repeal of certain parts of the Racial Discrimination Act and said that people have "a right to be bigots". I didn't expect anyone outside of Australia to get it.

King Author

Postby King Author » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:
King Author wrote:

International version:

Australian version:

Pretty much what Brace said. The Liberal/National Coalition is considered centre-right, Labor's considered centre-left. Though both parties have left and right factions, and the right faction is the dominant in both.

Also, the bigoted thing was a reference to some controversy earlier in the year when George Brandis (Attorney-General) was advocating the repeal of certain parts of the Racial Discrimination Act and said that people have "a right to be bigots". I didn't expect anyone outside of Australia to get it.

I didn't get the reference, but sadly, I get the sentiment ;_;

You may or may not be aware (<- what a useless thing to say, lol), but the "right to discriminate based on race/sexuality/etc." is taking hold in America again.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

If I recall correctly, Australia loves them some censorship. I mean, they seem to be always banning one game or another.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:If I recall correctly, Australia loves them some censorship. I mean, they seem to be always banning one game or another.

This, pretty much. From over here in the US, they look at least a little control-happy(not that we don't have our own issues).

Also, the descriptor of "china-like" definitely seems to have significant negative connotations by now.

Brace wrote:The Liberal party is the conservative one in the American sense. Liberal in the sense of classical liberalism, Lockean values, etc, except with a healthy dose of social conservativism thrown in for no fucking reason because apparently people think that's normal everywhere.

And ironically, much of that is...not even classically considered conservative. Stuff like creationism, etc isn't that old historically speaking. It's more of a new development than it is actually old values, even if they do prefer to cast the leftists in the upstart role.

Really, liberal/conservative get all sorts of confusing when you consider all the various perspectives on them.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

It's a terrible bit of economics, too.

Because ISPs would then have to 'guess' what they might be sued by, and block pretty much any unknown IP address.

It's a mess, as are most plans to censor the internet.

-Crissa

Return to “News & Articles”