Referendum: Episode two: Catalonia strikes back

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

orthogon

Re: Referendum: Episode two: Catalonia strikes back

Postby orthogon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:18 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Spain should have taken a gamble on the election (and kept quiet about it being unconstitutional), and stop suppressing people, and instead use economics to scare the Catalans into staying.

"Project Fear", you mean? That approach didn't work out too well for the Remain side in the UK.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:"Project Fear", you mean? That approach didn't work out too well for the Remain side in the UK.

It didn't work for the US either, but at least it's not as morally questionable. It's why they're called gambles, sometimes you lose. Well, in Spain's case, there was nothing to really lose. Maybe they were afraid the separatists would gain too much legitimacy if they waited. Which seems wrong since the EU has mostly backed Spain, though I'm surprised the EU ignored the brutality.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm UTC

How many regional subdivisions exist in Europe? How many ways can you subdivide it? I'm just curious. A hundred? More?

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:20 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:How many regional subdivisions exist in Europe? How many ways can you subdivide it? I'm just curious. A hundred? More?

Probably... Switzerland itself has four regional languages with distinct cultures, and the southern German speaking area can easily be split off. Not like the other German speaking areas understand them anyway (really thick accent) :wink: and Switzerland is pretty small. I'm sure most other countries have a couple of subdivisions in them they could think of.
Most of the time we get along though. It helps that we'd be even less relevant if we split up.

Return to “News & Articles”