Ebola thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Ebola thread

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 am UTC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102037055

Spoiler:
First confirmed case of Ebola confirmed in the United States: CDC
Javier E. David | @TeflonGeek
5 Hours Ago

The United States now has one confirmed case of Ebola, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday, marking the first domestic appearance of the deadly virus that has ravaged swaths of continental Africa.

The as-yet unidentified patient is located in Dallas, officials say, effectively confirming a statement issued on Monday by Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. The organization said that an unnamed patient was being tested for Ebola and had been placed in "strict isolation" due to the patient's symptoms and recent travel history.

In a press conference, CDC Director Tom Frieden said the patient in question had been traveling in Liberia, where he may have contracted the disease. He returned to the United States on the 20th of September, after which he sought care.

Frieden attempted to assuage concerns about Ebola's contagious effect, saying that the virus was only spread through direct contact, and was not airborne. He vowed that officials would contain a potential spread.

"It is certainly possible that someone who had contact with this individual...could develop Ebola in the coming weeks," Frieden said, but added that "there is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here," Frieden said.

In response to a question, Frieden added that "a handful" of people, including family members, may have been exposed to the patient prior to his seeking treatment.

In early September, four U.S. aid workers treating the outbreak in Africa were diagnosed there, and transported back to the U.S. for treatment after falling ill. This case, however, is the first known in which a citizen was stricken by the virus and diagnosed domestically.

The recent outbreak is widely considered by experts to be the deadliest in history. In recent days, global health professionals have warned that the strain of Ebola was becoming more virulent, and that governments around the world needed to step up their response. The World Health Organization has estimated that at least 3,000 have died since the first outbreak was identified in Guinea six months ago, and more than 6,500 cases have been confirmed.

Last week, the head of Doctors Without Borders told the United Nations that the virus "is winning." Separately, the CDC warned that between 550,000 and 1.4 million people in West Africa could be infected with Ebola by January 2015. Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea are among the countries most badly affected by the virus.

First domestically diagnosed case, anyways.

Umm...some good guidelines in general to live by, which may soon become even more important:

0. Don't vomit on people. Don't be vomited on.
1. Don't sneeze directly on people. Don't get sneezed on. Though this is an unlikely way for Ebola to be transmitted, saliva is a bodily fluid too.
2. Don't bleed on people. Don't get bled on.
3. Wear a condom. Ebola has been found in the semen of survivors for I think up to two months after...well, surviving.
4. Don't shit on people. Don't get shat on.

This might not be the case that spreads Ebola to the US in a permanent way, but I'm convinced that world-pandemic Ebola is inevitable.

EDIT: Removed a dumb question.

Changed title to make this the general ebola thread

-- Zamfir

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Ebola comes to the US

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

Rule no 3 should include no kissing and sweating clauses.

Do we really need two threads on the same outbreak?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:This might not be the case that spreads Ebola to the US in a permanent way, but I'm convinced that world-pandemic Ebola is inevitable.

The countries struggling with Ebola are some of the poorest countries in the world.
Nigeria has had incidents but of orders of magnitude less and appears to have things under control - Nigeria is poor but much better off than Liberia.

The fact that Ebola requires contact with bodily secretions to spread, coupled with its virulent nature, means a serious global pandemic is unlikely.

Brace

Postby Brace » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

I'd suggest "quite possibly" - it's not just "two threads about Ebola." The other thread is a little more focused on the reasons Ebola spreads so rapidly in countries without the same sort of healthcare/sanitation/government infrastructure as the US, and then there's the discussion on how "Western" nations should assist Guinea/SL/Liberia (Money? More money? How much money? Send doctors? Send MORE doctors? Send troops to secure borders/assist with creation of treatment centers?) That leads to discussions of isolationism/racism/elitism in general and how we view Africa as some monolithic entity that can go screw itself as long as their problems don't pop up in our backyards. (Not my personal position, but I've found it to be common in general)

Now, we have a case of uncontrolled introduction into a nation with that infrastructure, whose doctors have been saying for a long time that Ebola can't spread as easily here as it does there. I tend to agree with them, and I'm not panicking because of (currently) one case in Texas, but it is both a cause for concern and a very important test for just how well our "well-developed" society can handle this. As Brace points out, the atrocious attitudes toward the poor (who are generally at highest risk for transmission) in the US would seem to have a significant impact on whether this case blooms into something we can't handle because we won't address the larger societal problems in our "greatest and best nation God has ever given man on the face of the earth." (sarcasm most definitely intended) Nigeria seems to have handled their outbreak; if no further cases arise, the outbreak there will be considered "over" on 20 October, with 20 cases and 8 deaths, which I'd say would be pretty damned successful. Will the US really be able say the same? I certainly hope so.

I hope that makes sense. Also, I apologize if I said anything offensive. I was not trying to, but I'd welcome any correction if appropriate.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

I don't know, I just feel like these are both threads about the same outbreak, as well as the fact they're both episodes about the US in that outbreak.

Kind of seems a bit off to have a new thread just because it's in the US. It turns the problems in West Africa into 'other' and separate from anything in the West, and I feel they should have more connection than that. The US was helping with an epidemic in West Africa, and now the fact that they are helping before they got a case on US soil is particularly relevant to the fact that they were helping in the interests of themselves and the rest of the world, not just West Africa.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm UTC

We'll make this the general Ebola thread.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:18 am UTC

Angua wrote:Rule no 3 should include no kissing and sweating clauses.

But that would rule out fun stuff. But then, so does rule 4.

Djehutynakht

Re: Ebola thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:01 am UTC

Ebola isn't fun.

In the US we'll probably be fine though, just in due to the general principle of CDC sees Ebola = CDC goes into swarm mode to immediately isolate this person and track every single contact.

Honestly, for this individual Liberian man, coming here was probably a very, very good thing.

Survival rates in Liberia are... low. Very low. Like 30% or so.

As far as I know, US-treated cases have a 100% survival rate. So even though he's caused a bit of a panic, being here probably has helped his odds dramatically.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

Survival rate for developed countries and Ebola is not 100 percent. Don't confuse small sample sizes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Liberia is going to prosecute the gentleman with Ebola in the US if/when he recovers.

This could have interesting implications for airport security health checks, I would imagine.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

What's interesting is he didn't just lie about the questionaire, but the contact he had with sick people.

I'm curious to hear from him what the deal was. If he was fleeing in fear, or hoping to get to America for better treatment, I can sort of sympathize. If he was just being willfully negligent, then, eh, yeah, this is pretty serious. Or, you know, a country just covering it's own ass politically.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:29 am UTC

If he had answered yes, they may well have not let him leave. (Isn't that the point of the questionnaire?)

Either way, he is now receiving world class treatment for a highly lethal virus, that is a very good outcome for him personally.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:53 am UTC

Possibly, but that is why they need to prosecute him though. To try to encourage people to answer honestly, otherwise there is absolutely no point.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:01 am UTC

What's the maximum sentence in this case?

Frankly, I'd guess that a few years in jail, even a Liberian jail, would be much better than dying a slow, hemorrhagic death.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 am UTC

Survival rates in a Liberian jail probably aren't very good either. Difficult decisions for everyone all round.

When do complete quarantine regulations get set in? Its beginning to sound like they might be appropriate. Glad its not my call.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:25 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Angua wrote:Rule no 3 should include no kissing and sweating clauses.

But that would rule out fun stuff. But then, so does rule 4.

Really all those rules, depending on what you're into.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:58 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What's interesting is he didn't just lie about the questionaire, but the contact he had with sick people.

I'm curious to hear from him what the deal was. If he was fleeing in fear, or hoping to get to America for better treatment, I can sort of sympathize. If he was just being willfully negligent, then, eh, yeah, this is pretty serious. Or, you know, a country just covering it's own ass politically.

I read this as "he's been charged for lying, but if he was lying I'm sympathetic. If he wasn't lying, by god he deserves what's coming to him"! I know that's not what you said, but I still found it funny.

What are the chances the US will extradite him to Liberia, anyway?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:02 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I read this as "he's been charged for lying, but if he was lying I'm sympathetic. If he wasn't lying, by god he deserves what's coming to him"! I know that's not what you said, but I still found it funny.
You should have read it as 'If he was afraid for his life, and fleeing to the US in hopes of receiving treatment for the lethal, horrible disease he was exposed to, then I'm sympathetic. If he didn't want his vacation ruined because he was around a sick relative, and he didn't think he was sick, then we've got a problem'.

Djehutynakht wrote:Frankly, I'd guess that a few years in jail, even a Liberian jail, would be much better than dying a slow, hemorrhagic death.
Would it though? (I mean, yes, but man, I would not want to go to Liberian jail of all places)

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I read this as "he's been charged for lying, but if he was lying I'm sympathetic. If he wasn't lying, by god he deserves what's coming to him"! I know that's not what you said, but I still found it funny.
You should have read it as 'If he was afraid for his life, and fleeing to the US in hopes of receiving treatment for the lethal, horrible disease he was exposed to, then I'm sympathetic. If he didn't want his vacation ruined because he was around a sick relative, and he didn't think he was sick, then we've got a problem'.

Hence the "I know that's not what you said".

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

They're going to have to do a remake of the Velveteen rabbit, but with Ebola instead of Scarlet Fever. (I hear there was a movie, but it didn't have scarlet fever as the reason for the burning?)
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29481069
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

Oh good, it may have spread to the DC area: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Patient-With-Ebola-Like-Symptoms-Being-Treated-at-Howard-University-Hospital-278025181.html

If confirmed, I have no doubt people will start promptly losing their GD minds.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

I saw that. Surely they should have waited for confirmation before reporting it? Nigeria is not the most likely place to catch ebola (not that the hospital itself shouldn't be taking precautions just in case, but reporting to the media seems over the top).

I'm already seeing people on facebook posting as though this is a confirmed case :P
GNU Terry Pratchett

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

Angua wrote:They're going to have to do a remake of the Velveteen rabbit, but with Ebola instead of Scarlet Fever. (I hear there was a movie, but it didn't have scarlet fever as the reason for the burning?)
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29481069

Oh FSM, the feels.

A young African family with five kids gives the youngest son a stuffed rabbit as a toy. The boy grows attached to the toy, insisting that the rabbit is real. When no one else is around, the rabbit moves and talks to the boy, taking him on wondrous adventures in the savannah, which are filled with mythical beasts and glorious cities. When his siblings show up to take him home, it's revealed to be anthills and other so forth, and the rabbit is the stuffed rabbit.

A few months later, Ebola strikes. The boy, his father and 3 of his siblings are slowly dying. Their mother is taken away, screaming, by the eldest son, as most of his family is locked in, half conscious. Every day, a person slides some food/water in for the survivors to eat. The rabbit acts as the boy's nurse, giving him the food. The boy slowly recovers; the rest of his sick family do not. The whole house is disinfected, and all their belongings are gathered up to be burned. The boy cries as his stuffed rabbit is among those shoved in the bag.

Later, his mother and older brother tell him something amazing; they saw the rabbit leap out of the bag with their own eyes. The rabbit thanked them, and told them it was time for him to go with the other rabbits of the savannah. Years later, the boy sees a group of rabbits, and sheds a tear.

The end.

Screenplay by Bill Watterson.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

Wow....

That is totally better than anything I could have imagined.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Wow....

That is totally better than anything I could have imagined.

Get the casting and directing right and release it in December and you've got a guaranteed Oscar on your hands.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 am UTC

Not sure if the MSF (Mediciens sans Frontiers, aka Doctors without Borders) should be in there. If they do, they appear in the child's fantasy as knights that the rabbit gathered to help save the family. The knights and their squires tap everyone with healing staves. The boy and one of his sisters are picked up by the squires and placed on a horse, the other two siblings are left behind. The rabbit tells him not to worry, he will stand guard over them the way he did over the boy. He and his sister are taken to a bazaar where various pages and courtiers poke and prod them, asking them questions, as the boy slowly recovers. His sister is whisked away to 'another kingdom'.

Also, the ending story that is told is changed to the rabbit turned the rest of the family into real rabbits, where they would play in the forests.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:28 am UTC

The old one liners are still useful.
Knowing when to stop is an important Skill.

Many pieces of Art have been ruined by their creator.
It was Done! Why did you keep messing with it??
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Hate to be a downer but I can already see the sequel to your movie. The rabbit is a carrier and is the vector for the disease spreading it across the countryside to villages far and wide creating a mass epidemic. Velveteen Rabbit 2: Patient Zero.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:25 pm UTC

Personally I'd want an updated version of Poe's Masque of the Red Death.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

Easy for us to laugh.
Do you know what a fast acting, 90% fatal Hemorragic would do to Humanity?

It might not be funny to those with the genes to seroconvert.

It's sort of too bad the survivors are so normal.
It takes all the fun out of...."ahhh! Two heads are Not better than One!"

I am not following the details.
That requires Thinking.

I am impressed with reports of advancements in All viral treatments.
In my lifetime a Dx of a virus was a statement of, "There is nothing we can do."

Those people were turned over to the Nursing Staff.
Some did ok. Some died. I had a virus. Didn't you?

One day soon, we may be getting Ebola Vaccine before going into the Sub-Sahara.
Everyone there should be vaccinated, First!

I wonder what Those vaccines will give us?

If Pertussis vaccine gave us Autism;
Will Ebola vaccine give us Bad Breath?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

addams wrote:If Pertussis vaccine gave us Autism;

Can you show me any verifiable evidence that any vaccine has ever given anyone Autism?

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
addams wrote:If Pertussis vaccine gave us Autism;

Can you show me any verifiable evidence that any vaccine has ever given anyone Autism?

Me?
I'm still trying to verify Garlic Breath.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I saw that. Surely they should have waited for confirmation before reporting it? Nigeria is not the most likely place to catch ebola (not that the hospital itself shouldn't be taking precautions just in case, but reporting to the media seems over the top).

I'm already seeing people on facebook posting as though this is a confirmed case :P

The news has assured folks that it's "only Malaria". Which, yknow, sounds a bit funny, but still.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Angua wrote:I saw that. Surely they should have waited for confirmation before reporting it? Nigeria is not the most likely place to catch ebola (not that the hospital itself shouldn't be taking precautions just in case, but reporting to the media seems over the top).

The news has assured folks that it's "only Malaria". Which, yknow, sounds a bit funny, but still.

How interesting.
What kind of Malaria?

There is one kind that Sucks so bad, it is not spoken of in polite company.
Internet Posters are famous for Tromping all over any semblance of civility.

We can discuss it.
Grave Signs....

Did you ever study Grave Signs?
Do you know Why we call those, Grave Signs?

Spoiler:
Because, Sweet Cheeks;
It is time to begin The Grave.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Evidently they're pushing ZMapp production into overdrive. There was a neat NPR piece on the ethical quandary of crisis medicine like this. I'd be curious to hear what more medical people have to say about it.

jano

Postby jano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

First case of Ebola infection outside Africa : a nurse in Madrid was infected while treating a missionary.
http://www.libertaddigital.com/ciencia- ... 276530051/
Spoiler:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

I was wondering what had happened to that. At least malaria is pretty treatable.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “News & Articles”