Malaysian Airplanes

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Cradarc

Malaysian Airplanes

Postby Cradarc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 am UTC

What do you think happened to Flight 370 and Flight 8501? Do you think both met the same fate?
Is it mere coincidence that both incidents are affiliated with Malaysia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia_AirAsia_Flight_8501
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Malaysian Airplanes

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 am UTC

Cradarc wrote:Is it mere coincidence that both incidents are affiliated with Malaysia?

Almost certainly.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Yup. Malaysia is an entire country. And an entirely separate country from Indonesia. Two accidents across two different countries do not really make a trend.

Unless you can prove some sort of connection between Malaysia Airlines and Indonesia Airlines... but as far as I can tell they're two separate companies entirely.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 am UTC

http://shoebat.com/2014/12/30/pilot-ind ... hristians/

Make of this what you will. I should add that the focus of the article is on both planes being deliberately abducted, not on the tenuous connection with some attacks aimed at Christians.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:http://shoebat.com/2014/12/30/pilot-indonesian-plane-went-missing-devout-muslim-slaughtered-christians/

Make of this what you will. I should add that the focus of the article is on both planes being deliberately abducted, not on the tenuous connection with some attacks aimed at Christians.

Call me biased, but when I see an article open with "Call me an Islamophobe" I'm not expecting to read a dispassionate assessment of the facts.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Yup. Malaysia is an entire country. And an entirely separate country from Indonesia. Two accidents across two different countries do not really make a trend.

Unless you can prove some sort of connection between Malaysia Airlines and Indonesia Airlines... but as far as I can tell they're two separate companies entirely.

Air Asia and Malaysian Airlines are both Malaysian owned/controlled companies. I'm not saying it's not a coincidence, but get your facts right in demonstrating that it probably is.

I don't have time to translate the whole thing right now, but the very first part says that the pilot was known as a kind man that was active in the community, and I think that sets the tone for the rest of the article...
My understanding of Indonesian culture is limited (My fiancee is Indonesian and that's it) but the impression that I've gotten is if you want to say nice things about someone, you will emphasise their religiosity. So in an article essentially paying tribute to someone who has died, it's natural to talk about what a devout person he was.
Last edited by Joeldi on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Yup. Malaysia is an entire country. And an entirely separate country from Indonesia. Two accidents across two different countries do not really make a trend.

Air Asia and Malaysian Airlines are both Malaysian owned/controlled companies. I'm not saying it's not a coincidence, but get your facts right in demonstrating that it probably is.

I don't have time to translate the whole thing right now, but the very first part says that the pilot was known as a kind man that was active in the community, and I think that sets the tone for the rest of the article...

Statistically, if you had the option of 1000 hours in a Malaysia plane or 100 hours in a car, I'd pick malaysian planes every time. This even accounts for the decreased safety of non western airlines.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia_AirAsia

Air Asia isn't the same company as Indonesia AirAsia.

Captain Iriyanto, the pilot of the Indonesia AirAsia flight, was an Indonesian.
Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, the pilot of the Malaysian flight, was a Malaysian.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

And quite relevant to that nasty hijacking article: the debris of this plane has already been spotted.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Well, then there's a possibility that the investigation can shed light on the previous disappearance.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

And it might shed light on the murder of JFK as well. Think about it: Muslims kill people. Kennedy was killed. The people in this plane died. The pilot was a Muslim. Connect the dots.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Connect the dots.

I made a pony.

Seriously, its really sad that this has happened. A lot of people have died. We could maybe think about that a little more than these ridiculous, islamophobic conspiracy theories. Not every thing that happens in the muslim world is about, related to, or a consequence of terrorism or malice. People have accidents, and its sad that this accident has occasioned so many deaths.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:And quite relevant to that nasty hijacking article: the debris of this plane has already been spotted.

The only possible answer is that the Muslim Menace has invented time travel to make it APPEAR to simply be an unrelated accident. Wake up, sheeple!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

I'm involved in the search for QZ8501. It's safe to say that it's been found. Don't quote me, but the stall theory is the strongest we've got right now.

And that article... is 100% bullshit. I could go through and comb through the insanity it says, but I'd rather not when I'm watching families wait for the bodies of their husbands, wives, children and parents.

Also, there is a tenuous link to Malaysia; AirAsia is a Malaysian company, and 49% of Indonesia AirAsia is Malaysian (the 50% limit being in set in Indonesian law). It's coordinated and managed under a parent Malaysian company. It's still an Indonesian company, of course, just a subsidiary. This is kinda-sorta relevant because, as a low cost carrier, there's some scrutiny and concern that managerial aspects are contributing to the disaster, as the root cause (so far as we know) seems linked to the fact that the plane went headfirst into a thunderstorm instead of calling for a delay. Again, this is definitely not confirmed, just showing that the link is there.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 am UTC

sardia wrote:
Joeldi wrote:

Statistically, if you had the option of 1000 hours in a Malaysia plane or 100 hours in a car, I'd pick malaysian planes every time. This even accounts for the decreased safety of non western airlines.

I wouldn't. For the same trip distance, the likelihood of death in a car is only 8-9 times higher than on a US airline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporta ... ted_States. Since 1000 hours in a plane will give far more than 10 times the trip distance of 100 hours in a car, you're better off in the car.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:
sardia wrote:
Joeldi wrote:

I wouldn't. For the same trip distance, the likelihood of death in a car is only 8-9 times higher than on a US airline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporta ... ted_States. Since 1000 hours in a plane will give far more than 10 times the trip distance of 100 hours in a car, you're better off in the car.

That number at the bottom includes a drive to the airport where most of the risk comes from, without it going by the same table it's 25 times higher per mile. (But at 10 times as many hours in Air the car hours still win.)

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

To be fair, some people take the train to the airport. But I'll remember to lower my ratio of air safety from 10x to 5x.

Return to “News & Articles”