Court ruled a woman's breast assualted a police's arm

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

billyswong

Court ruled a woman's breast assualted a police's arm

Postby billyswong » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 am UTC

http://time.com/3962142/hong-kong-woman-police-breast-assault/
"A court in Hong Kong convicted 30-year-old Ng Lai-ying Thursday of assaulting a police officer by hitting him with her breast during a protest on March 1."

Police abuses is bad, but judiciary helping police is super-bad. And when this happened in your hometown, it is super-super-bad.

Mutex

Re: Court ruled a woman's breast assualted a police's arm

Postby Mutex » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

Looks like she also assaulted his fist with her nose.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

Perhaps even engaged in willful destruction of public property, if she bled on their uniforms.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

Disturbing the peace for participating in a violent act, too. Man, these charges are really stacking up.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

I'm not saying she isn't the victim, but the story sounds exaggerated. Basically the judge said she lied about the sexual assault, and that she was actually in the wrong. Nothing about assault.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

billyswong

Postby billyswong » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:16 am UTC

Cradarc wrote:I'm not saying she isn't the victim, but the story sounds exaggerated. Basically the judge said she lied about the sexual assault, and that she was actually in the wrong. Nothing about assault.

The news said "the magistrate ... finding her guilty of using her breast to bump the officer’s arm". Unless you mean the newspaper was lying, my post title is NOT exaggerated.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:22 am UTC

"There was no word on what physical injuries, if any, the officer suffered."

Probably some mild swelling and increased heart rate, maybe some flushing and shortness of breath.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:15 pm UTC

billyswong wrote: Unless you mean the newspaper was lying, my post title is NOT exaggerated.

Bumping into someone is not assault. Otherwise, I assault people (and people assault me) on the bus every day. The fact of the matter is the woman's breast and the officer's arm came into contact. The officer could have purposely reached for it, but the judge decided that wasn't the case.
The news article was exaggerated. Presumably you just copied your thread title from that. Not a single direct quote from the judge contained anything related to physical assault. From how I understand it, the judge is saying the woman is abusing the legal system to attack law enforcement. It's victim blaming, but it's not equivalent to convicting someone of assault.

Can you tell me where did you get that picture? Perhaps a different article can provide more information.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

So, the OP's linked article does not appear to be exaggerated - a woman accused a police officer of 'indecent assault', but the magistrate decided that the woman was the one who 'physically accosted' the police officer. This sounds a bit like drawing the foul, so to speak.

However, the OP also links an photo of a bloodied woman, which does NOT appear in the linked article. That said, if you search for Ng Lai-ying, the woman in question, a number of photos of her bloodied face pop up. Oddly, reports appear that she was in fact physically roughed up by a cop during a protest, buuuuuuuuuuuuut that she only raised 'indecent assault' allegations.

I'm not really sure what to make of the muddied waters here. At first glance it seems like... maybe she went for a an additional count against the cop that roughed her up, and the magistrate called her out on it? I have no idea what the context for deciding to go with a 'he touched my breast' allegation is vs a 'he slammed my face into the pavement' allegation. Maybe there's a translation issue here - 'touched' being understated in English?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

billyswong

Postby billyswong » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:39 am UTC

The photo I posted is from a local newspaper, which is not in English. Thus I didn't link that.

And I guess the "Indecent assault" ("fei-lai") wordings is before nosebleed happened.

Here's a video on that day's incident: https://www.facebook.com/mm.dbchk/videos/756803181100007/

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:54 pm UTC

Isn't it assault if it's just a threat (like she menacingly heaved her breast in the direction of the officer), but battery if there was malicious contact?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “News & Articles”