50 Dead, 53 Injured in Orlando Gay Club Shooting

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Lucrece

Re: 50 Dead, 53 Injured in Orlando Gay Club Shooting

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 am UTC

Was Zamfir not clear enough about gun control derails on this thread?

Anyways, this whole rumor mill has nothing to do with how long news take to report on something, but on the STANDARDS of reporting.

This is some gossip magazine level of trash that they enabled, with "credible" reporters (talking heads, really) like Chris Hayes and others from national news channels pushing this bullshit without any official sources to back up such claims. They just pulled up whatever random stranger said they saw x, which would be juicy news as the twisted self hating homosexual psychopath is always an attractive story angle.

If national news channels and "prominent" reporters are going to become glorified Jezebel/Shakesville bloggers, we might as well fill our TV's with 100% entertainment programs instead of keeping this farce about news going.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:35 am UTC

Maybe you should hang out at friendlier bars then?

But anyway, Lucrece, I forget. IIRC you are from Florida and you are gay, so if anyone has anything to say on this matter it'd be you.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:02 am UTC

More of a Ft. Lauderdale fag than an Orlando one, but I and some coworkers were familiar some who frequent Pulse (although luckily no harm came to them).

What's surreal down here in Florida is that suddenly the likes of Marco Rubio, Pam Bondi, and Rick Scott all decided they were truly the champions of our people. You know, after pretty much axing things as simple as anti-discrimination policies in work and housing, Bondi making the argument before Florida courts that gay marriages posed societal harm (the kind that enraged Mateen according to his father when men were kissing in front of children), and Rubio had thrown a tantrum on immigration reform that he and the Catholic church would no longer support the immigration reform bill if gay people who were married could sponsor their partners for naturalization. After the massacre, these people said on live news reports that they had always been friends and supporters of the LGBT community, and that they wanted to show their solidarity. To me, it seemed like a photo-op opportunity for them to look sympathetic to their voters.

How many people suddenly decided solidarity was politically convenient. Socially speaking of the climate, social media tends to cast a larger shadow to the reactions of people. Quite frankly down in Miami I found the reactions outside politicians to be rather muted (as expected, gay people are like 6% of the populace and not exactly the most popular demographic). Many local news stations avoided mentioning "gay" in their news reports, and Rick Scott seemed to sweat whenever he had to get close to uttering the word.

University of Florida sent out emails to students and alumni about some useless candle light vigils ( a drive to gather donations for the affected families would have been far more useful than a "walk of solidarity" between the local LGBT and Islamic student centers, which are echo chambers in themselves). At least the administration saw fit to provide some counseling services for whichever students needed it. UCF was also said to be offering such counseling services.

Unfortunately it didn't take long for this event to be pounced on by the usual activists on the right and left wings to further their shitty activism industries.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:52 am UTC

There's nothing wrong with a politician jumping aboard after a tragedy. The real problem is whether they're gonna do anything for you. Has Rubio or the governor promised any related bills?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Sometimes I dream of starting a newspaper with the slogan "Yesterday's News, Tomorrow". My newspaper will only print stuff that happened at least 2 days ago. We'd focus on quality stories about stuff that's actually important, and we'll take our time to research things.

You mean like any of the myriad of magazine publications?

Time Magazine, Economist, Newsweek come to mind.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

JackHK

Postby JackHK » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Sometimes I dream of starting a newspaper with the slogan "Yesterday's News, Tomorrow". My newspaper will only print stuff that happened at least 2 days ago. We'd focus on quality stories about stuff that's actually important, and we'll take our time to research things.

There's always Slow Journalism's Delayed Gratification magazine, which only reports on things at least 3 months later...

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

sardia wrote:There's nothing wrong with a politician jumping aboard after a tragedy. The real problem is whether they're gonna do anything for you. Has Rubio or the governor promised any related bills?

No lol. Rubio has close ties with Family Research Council and other Christian supremacy organizations. He's about as establishment Republican as you can get; he won't break ranks with the party platform just because a couple of gay people he already saw as not fit to form a family died.

This is all posturing for the sympathy vote. And it's not like there aren't Democrat opportunists either; the difference is that while they don't give a shit about us as anything but a voting bloc, they at least don't torpedo any bills that might help us not get fired from our jobs and be denied housing.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:47 am UTC

Be fair, they do want you to form families. Just not with anyone you'd find remotely attractive, live a lie for decades, until you get caught in a bathroom with a male prostitute that you paid with crystal meth like a normal person.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:56 am UTC

Yes, they've always been for the Haggard way of life.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 am UTC

Released positive news.
Source wrote:The Orlando hospitals that treated dozens of people injured in the Pulse nightclub shooting said Wednesday that they would not bill the survivors.

One hospital said it would not bill for any treatment it provided Pulse victims, while Orlando Regional Medical Center, the hospital that treated most of the survivors, said it would seek payment from other resources such as insurance plans and a victims fund set up by city officials. Authorities there said they expect the “total unreimbursed costs” could top $5 million.

“Orlando Health has not sent any hospital or medical bills directly to Pulse patients and we don’t intend to pursue reimbursement of medical costs from them,” said Orlando Health, the nonprofit health-care network that operates Orlando Regional, in a statement Wednesday night.

Removes one concern. Still faces rehabilitation and long-term side-effects (physical and mental), though.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:15 am UTC

Deva wrote:Released positive news.
Source wrote:The Orlando hospitals that treated dozens of people injured in the Pulse nightclub shooting said Wednesday that they would not bill the survivors.

One hospital said it would not bill for any treatment it provided Pulse victims, while Orlando Regional Medical Center, the hospital that treated most of the survivors, said it would seek payment from other resources such as insurance plans and a victims fund set up by city officials. Authorities there said they expect the “total unreimbursed costs” could top $5 million.

“Orlando Health has not sent any hospital or medical bills directly to Pulse patients and we don’t intend to pursue reimbursement of medical costs from them,” said Orlando Health, the nonprofit health-care network that operates Orlando Regional, in a statement Wednesday night.

Removes one concern. Still faces rehabilitation and long-term side-effects (physical and mental), though.

My hope is that Pulse does not suffer in business and close down. To think that a place started by a grieving sister to remember her gay brother who died of AIDS, creating a safe space for LGBT people, being snuffed out of existence by some wretched religious cunt would be horrible.

Return to “News & Articles”