Australian Election 2016

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Australian Election 2016

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

We just had an election, and its looking like a very close thing. Like, hung parliament close. There's a lot of background that is probably not that interesting to people not in this part of the world, but its a bit of a clusterfuck for the right.

We also changed our voting methodology for the senate, so no one has any real idea what the house of review will look like.

This was supposed to be all about certainty going forward. Its not really working out that way. Anyway, here's a link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

sardia

Re: Australian Election 2016

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:11 pm UTC

Is there someone who isn't suppose to win? Or is this like a normal election?

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

Anthony Green (He's a guy that has always done a heap of election predicting here in Aus) was estimating the Libs at 72 seats. Its absurdly close and counting as stopped now, and will only resumes on TUESDAY! Something about changes in how votes are counted and they apparently want to first secure all the votes.

A party needs 76 seats to form a government, by themselves or as a coalition with smaller parties.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:19 am UTC

From what I've heard, the Liberals (right-wing party) won in 2013 due to internal conflict between former PMs Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard in the Labor (no u!) Party. The Liberal leader Tony Abbott proved his utter incompetence in the ensuing two years, and was sacked and replaced with the somewhat more moderate Malcolm Turnbull. Meanwhile, Bill Shorten succeeded as leader of Labor.

As a result, neither major party is popular right now, and the result is basically a tie, while vote shares for the smaller parties have increased somewhat.

(I'm just a 'murican who likes keeping up with world events--not an expert).
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:03 am UTC

thunk wrote:the Labor (no u!) Party

Oddly apropos. (Is this a Zinger™? Is Bill taking notes?)

I'm being the antisocial friend today (out of character for me! :lol: ) paying more attention to Antony Green than the conversation at breakfast. This is going to be an interesting time until Tuesday...or next month when we've had a confidence vote...or three years time when we get another chance to Kick This Mob Out.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 am UTC

Well, at least we are likely to see more of Antony Green!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:08 am UTC

thunk wrote:From what I've heard, the Liberals (right-wing party) won in 2013 due to internal conflict between former PMs Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard in the Labor (no u!) Party. The Liberal leader Tony Abbott proved his utter incompetence in the ensuing two years, and was sacked and replaced with the somewhat more moderate Malcolm Turnbull. Meanwhile, Bill Shorten succeeded as leader of Labor.

As a result, neither major party is popular right now, and the result is basically a tie, while vote shares for the smaller parties have increased somewhat.

(I'm just a 'murican who likes keeping up with world events--not an expert).

This is remarkably close to the money, but without the thing where Abbott thought that the win in 2013 was about how much people loved him, and not about how much people loved to hate what Labor had done. And how far right he was, how willing he was to press the terror button when it suited him, and how utterly incapable he was of transcending bickering and moving in the direction of ideas and policy.

And now the far right's hand is strengthened, both within the Liberal party and in the parliament, and yet their policies amount to "blame halal, queer folk and lefties in general". Which isn't really a plan.

So... its been a wild ride. But yes, the true winner is Antony Green.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:50 am UTC

I'm pretty sure Laurie Oakes was the winner: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... pxhr0.html

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:57 am UTC

Awesome News!

"I think the government will fall short of a majority in the lower house," Mr Green said

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... pxt9o.html

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 am UTC

Hooray for possible hung parliament! It means we might actually see one of the major parties budge from their monolithic platforms to appease minority groups.

On the other hand, what the hell Queensland? Why does it look like Pauline Hanson is getting back into the Senate? And maybe even getting a few of her One Nation compatriots in too? With her plus Lambie from Tasmania, I am hoping against hope that the crazy left wing parties get a good number of Senators too just to balance the books. Greens, Sex Party, Pirate Party, I don't really mind.

Actually, looks like the Greens have a good chance of getting a Senator in each state other than SA, and if preferences go completely haywire they could potentially take the second ACT seat too (but if that happens I reckon a lot of people will be eating their hats). So the left should get a little bit of a look-in, at least.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “News & Articles”