Spotify in advanced talks to buy SoundCloud

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mambrino

Spotify in advanced talks to buy SoundCloud

Postby Mambrino » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am UTC

Financial Times

The Verge

BBC

FT.com wrote:Soundcloud’s biggest strength is the community of creators who built it, with an extensive catalogue of music, such as mixes, hip hop, EDM and DJ sets.

Independent digital music companies are flailing, despite music revenues growing for the first time in nearly two decades, boosted by a 45.2 per cent rise in streaming revenues.

“The big question for the streaming market is whether you can be a standalone company in a category when you have companies like Amazon and Apple looking at music as a loss leader, just to sell more iPhones or Echo speakers,” said Niklas Zennstrom, co-founder of Skype and now-defunct music service Rdio, which was acquired by Pandora last year.

Any thoughts? I, for one, support the continued existence of independent streaming services. The future where everything is Apple is a scary one.

sardia

Re: Spotify in advanced talks to buy SoundCloud

Postby sardia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:39 am UTC

Monopolies are busted when they collapse under the weight of their hulking bureaucracies, or from government regulation. If you don't wan to live in an apple only world, you'll need to push regulations as an election issue.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

I gave up on SoundCloud when they turned the entire site into a fuck-you-for-not-using-an-Approved-Browser page for me a couple years back, so, eh, whatever.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

theoriok

Postby theoriok » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:I gave up on SoundCloud when they turned the entire site into a fuck-you-for-not-using-an-Approved-Browser page for me a couple years back, so, eh, whatever.

Stop using IE6 then :P

Return to “News & Articles”