Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mambrino

Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

Postby Mambrino » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

NYTimes

Official press release

Svenska Akademien wrote:The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2016 is awarded to Bob Dylan
“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".

Eh, urm, congratulations? This is the first time the prize goes to a musician for song lyrics.

I don't know if we should discuss this in Books or Music subforum, so I'll put this thread here...

commodorejohn

Re: Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

I guess they don't like his singing any more than I do!
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:42 pm UTC

He was always a poet more than a performer...

(I suppose he'd be elegible for one or more of the more obscure Pulitzers, too, if he hasn't already and my decision not to actually check immediately comes back to bite me...)

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:35 am UTC

He's won a Pulitzer.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 am UTC

On the one hand, I won't say he doesn't deserve it. On the other hand, it's kind of nice when the Nobel introduces a brilliant writer to a large audience that might never have heard of them otherwise.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:38 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(I suppose he'd be elegible for one or more of the more obscure Pulitzers, too, if he hasn't already and my decision not to actually check immediately comes back to bite me...)

Liri wrote:He's won a Pulitzer.

Told you. ;)

(2008... I must have been distracted in 2008...)

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

Mr. Dylan is yet to comment on his award. According to some reports I saw (sorry, not in English) this is also already remarkable: no winner has been totally silent for a full day in recent times. Not only to press, but to the Nobel committee has not been in contact with him.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:On the one hand, I won't say he doesn't deserve it. On the other hand, it's kind of nice when the Nobel introduces a brilliant writer to a large audience that might never have heard of them otherwise.

That's true but 100 years from now he will be one of the most remembered and most mentioned keeping the honor relevant for generations to come by linking it to him.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 am UTC

@mosc, that could be, but wouldn't bet on it. Right now, Dylan is more famous and perhaps even has more prestige than the Nobel prize for literature. But I doubt that will last.

After all, the Nobel prize for literature gets a lot of prestige from its association with the the science prizes - that's what sets it apart from a myriad of other literature prizes. And while I don't know about a 100 years, I do expect that the science prizes will stay very prestigious for at least several decades to come.

Dylan's hardcore fan base, on the other hand, is going to die off in those same decades. People who went to his shows, anticipated his albums, for whom he is a nostalgic figure form their youth. It seems unavoidable that his mass fame is going to diminish. Not disappear, just grow less.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 am UTC

Dylan's being reclusive right now because he's preparing for transhumanity. Going to get himself an immortal electric body, to shouts of "Judas!" by fans of the traditional unplugged humanity...

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

Does xkcd fora have weird butterfly effects? Or collective latent pre-cog abilities? A couple of posts in a weeks old thread yesterday, and now:

Bob Dylan: Nobel Literature Prize left me speechless

BBC wrote:US singer-songwriter Bob Dylan says he accepts his Nobel Prize in literature, ending a silence since being awarded the prize earlier this month.

He said the honour had left him "speechless", the Nobel Foundation said in a statement.

The foundation said it had not yet been decided if the singer would attend the awards ceremony in December.

However, Dylan reportedly told a UK newspaper he intended to pick up the award in person "if at all possible".

Return to “News & Articles”