ACA Lives For Another Year

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Opus_723

Re: ACA Lives For Another Year

Postby Opus_723 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:12 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote: As far as preventative care(in the US sense), most countries don't do it as extensively as we do. It has mostly been found to be a waste of money which is why in a lot of countries you don't see things like annual physicals and the testing(and liability) culture we have in the US. In most of the other systems of the world, you only go to the doctor when something is already wrong not for preventative medicine(although there are a few exceptions like Pap smears and colonoscopies that are done every 3 instead of 1 year). The idea of US style preventative medicine majorly reducing payouts is a myth, in fact, it is mostly the opposite and an unneeded expense.

I have no professional experience with medicine, so I guess I wasn't familiar with the definition of 'preventative care,' but I'm an American and I would've assumed that 'preventative care' meant diet and exercise and other lifestyle changes. I think if we had a system that pushed this kind of care from doctors or more effectively covered work with the appropriate experts, payouts absolutely would go down.

I mean seriously, having the highest obesity rate in the developed world isn't really helping us with medical costs, just for one example.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm UTC

Cancer screenings can be quite harmful all around if you aren't in a high-risk group.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 pm UTC

Opus_723 wrote:I mean seriously, having the highest obesity rate in the developed world isn't really helping us with medical costs, just for one example.

Except that obesity is a can of causational worms, with a lot of the factors involved in it being related to factors that are outside the individual patient's choice, for instance genetics, depression, being poor, working multiple jobs, or being a single parent, and/or lacking a good social support group can all contribute to problems with weight. Worse still is that having multiple factors working against you can make it harder to achieve change in any one.

And Medical insurance doesn't cover "care" with regards to many of those factors, like job training or housing assistance. Even mental health coverage is not guaranteed despite it's influence on a lot of other things physical health related.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Opus_723 wrote:I mean seriously, having the highest obesity rate in the developed world isn't really helping us with medical costs, just for one example.

Except that obesity is a can of causational worms, with a lot of the factors involved in it being related to factors that are outside the individual patient's choice, for instance genetics, depression, being poor, working multiple jobs, or being a single parent, and/or lacking a good social support group can all contribute to problems with weight. Worse still is that having multiple factors working against you can make it harder to achieve change in any one.

And Medical insurance doesn't cover "care" with regards to many of those factors, like job training or housing assistance. Even mental health coverage is not guaranteed despite it's influence on a lot of other things physical health related.

I agree with all that. My point was that we should work on covering those things if our goal is to actually prevent people from getting sick, and therefore save money. But in my opinion, just covering people to work regularly with physical therapists and evidence-based diet experts ( what the heck are those called, anyway?) before they get sick would go an awful long way toward solving some of the more extreme problems with U.S. healthcare, even if it doesn't solve the obesity epidemic by itself.

Edit: I really don't want to minimize the amount of time and effort these sorts of lifestyle changes take, especially for lower-income people who simply may not have the time to cook meals, exercise, etc. But some movement in that direction from the healthcare system seems preferable to none.
Last edited by Opus_723 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:16 pm UTC

Opus_723 wrote:evidence-based diet experts ( what the heck are those called, anyway?)

Dietitians.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:
Opus_723 wrote:evidence-based diet experts ( what the heck are those called, anyway?)

Dietitians.

Ah, thank you. I knew either dietitian or nutritionist was a BS title, but I couldn't remember which. Turns out it's "nutritionist" that's entirely unregulated.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 pm UTC

There was a conversation at the hospital, the other day, whether a door sign saying "dietitian" was wrong, and should it have been "dietician". It turns out both are right. But (to me, as well as the relative concerned) the latter (irregularly formed) version looks more correct than the former.

There was also a less official sign (laminated printout, tacked up on a storage cupboard) that stated, amongst other things, that "sterile bowels" could be found inside. I've yet to enquire, either by asking a member of staff or pestering the almighty Google, whether this is actually a thing you'd find in a hospital supplies cupboard (sterile-packed colostomy tubing?), or was it actually "bowls" they meant? Perhaps someone here knows for sure, although I can probably live without knowing, (Even if my patients can't ;))

Return to “News & Articles”