British Snap Election - Theresa, Meh; Corbyn near-win; So long, Farron, auf wiedersehen goodbyeee

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Regardless of all other practicalities, I will (or would if I could) mostly be voting...

Poll ended at Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:48 am UTC

...for the local candidate I like best.
6%
...against the local candidate I like least.
No votes
...for the party I think best shares my core not-Brexit views.
44%
...against the party I think does not share my core not-Brexit views.
22%
...for the leader I think deserves to be PM.
11%
...against the leader who should not be PM.
6%
...to align with a type-of-Brexit/no-Brexit view.
No votes
...to spoil a type-of-Brexit/no-Brexit view.
No votes
...regarding IndyRef2/more localised issue..
No votes
...pointedly withholding/spoiling my vote.
No votes
...not at all (apathy, etc)
11%
...with a completely different strategy in mind.
No votes

Total votes: 18

Chen

Re: British Snap Election - Theresa, Meh; Corbyn near-win; So long, Farron, auf wiedersehen goodbyeee

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I took it as "Well, when I try and do what I think is actually right, in my heart, I find that I cannot follow religion and so I have decided to leave politics."

I kinda took it as "When I try to follow my religion I get crucified (hehe) for it because my beliefs anger my constituents, therefore I'm leaving politics so I don't have to go against my religion". I very much doubt it had anything to do with "right, in my heart" since I figure that would be the religious stuff. It just wasn't politically acceptable to his party's followers.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Re: British Snap Election - Theresa, Meh; Corbyn near-win; So long, Farron, auf wiedersehen goodbyeee

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 pm UTC

Not the first time a Liberal Democrat leader has had conflicts stemming from their faith.
Charles Kennedy (Catholic) frequently voted against abortion and euthanasia - motions that received support from LD front-benchers at the time.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

It's odd, because Farron has consistently voted in favour of LGBT rights, so he doesn't seem to have had trouble separating his religious beliefs from his politics before. The question has still dogged him though, and he seems a pretty ineffective leader anyway so I'm fairly happy he's standing down.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:It's odd, because Farron has consistently voted in favour of LGBT rights, so he doesn't seem to have had trouble separating his religious beliefs from his politics before. The question has still dogged him though, and he seems a pretty ineffective leader anyway so I'm fairly happy he's standing down.

The way their spokesman was telling it on the wireless this morning, the issue was that personally Farron supports all those things, but he belongs to a faith community that's split on the issue and he didn't feel it was his place to pronounce on theological matters (i.e. whether homosexuality is a sin) and also possibly didn't want to offend co-religionists who disagreed. Being repeatedly asked to do so put him in an impossible position.

In any case, sins and unlawful acts are only somewhat overlapping sets. As a legislator, he's concerned with the latter and has no duty nor, arguably, remit regarding the former. (Having said that, there's a difference between legalising something and condoning it: e.g. you could legalise homosexuality but not feel it should be celebrated by same-sex marriage).

Personally I find his position unfathomable, but really that's because I can't empathise with his religious beliefs. I can't see how he wouldn't look at his own voting record, look at his so-called holy text, and conclude that one or other was going to have to go. But most religious people manage to tread this tightrope most of the time, so.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

So, it happened.
I had always been kinda pessimistic on May's chances, due to Nate Silver's eloquently explained First Law of Polling Errors. I wasn't all that surprised as a result.

But as a somewhat uninformed outside observer, I can't see this government being all that stable either. Disagreements abound, and if a new election is called, 1.6% decrease in vote share to Labour would render the Tories the smaller party; 4.5, and it's a Labour majority. These values would increase by about 1% after the 2018 Boundary Review is completed.

That being said, considering my recent swing to centrism, this came to mind when I found it.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

I'm not going to link it here, but there's a photo going around Facebook of Corbyn at Glastonbury, standing next to a topless woman with "FUK DUP" painted on her. He might be getting a bit too down with the kids. (In fairness he didn't look like he'd noticed her or what was written on her.)

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:(In fairness he didn't look like he'd noticed her or what was written on her.)

Perhaps because she wasn't actually there? It's photoshopped.
He/Him/His Image

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

... Yes I can see it is now.

Return to “News & Articles”