What do you want to know about a comic con?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Re: What do you want to know about a comic con?

Postby Chen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Wait, what? Thor is a job title?

Sorta. Mjolnir's inscription is "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." So if you're worthy to wield the hammer you get Thor's powers. I think it's somewhat confusing since Odin's son is also named Thor but anyone else who wields the hammer also gets the powers hence the sorta job title as well.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

Sorta. Mjolnir's inscription is "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." So if you're worthy to wield the hammer you get Thor's powers. I think it's somewhat confusing since Odin's son is also named Thor but anyone else who wields the hammer also gets the powers hence the sorta job title as well.

Some people didn't like the application of such comic-book logic.

For some comic-book fans it was…
:) :arrow: 8-)
…a Thor point!

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:27 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:trannies

Wince :?
Hi you.
she/her

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 pm UTC

Yes, well, I call MYSELF that only. When I'm all... you know... sulky. But you want me to change it in my post to transgender or something? I just did it ha-ha thanks for pointing out my mistakes.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm UTC

Merci
Hi you.
she/her

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am UTC

http://comicsalliance.com/comics-guide-trans-nb-youth/

An articles relevant to my feminine inane chatterings. My favorite part. To wit:

This gorgeously illustrated years-in-the-making webcomic features a large cast, including more than one transgender character, as part of an extended narrative about what motivates evil, all set on Planet JRPG. It threads possibly the trickiest needle of all; how to have a transgender villain that is still a worthwhile example of representation.

Yay Yay~! <3 Representation among comics. Full Disclosure confessions: I have not READ these comics, I just like what I see, and I going for quantity of representation rather than quality. So a full list of Some Options at least for TG girls and boys and men and women in comics is good enough for me even w/o reading everything on said lists.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:53 pm UTC

Chen wrote:[H]having a black Captain America is different.

This has actually happened before with a different character. Marvel is currently making comics set in 2 unrelated universes. The idea was that writer for the new universe would have more freedom because they would not have to deal with decades of established lore and canon. In the original universe Nick Fury is white; in the new universe Nick Fury is black. This is actually why he is black in the movies. However, I do not know how the public reacted when this change was first revealed.

Spoiler:
Pfhorrest wrote:

In the comics, apparently. I'm none too happy with that either. Not helped by the fact that the original Thor was... Thor.

Basically, whoever wields Mjolnir (if they be worthy enough to do so) has the power of Thor, and so is Thor, but the first person to wield Mjolnir and have the power of Thor and so be Thor was... Thor.

Beta Ray Bill is an awesome alien who is able to wield Mjolnir. He is right up there with Man-Thing on my list of favorite characters, even though they are both non-famous. Anyway, I digress.

When Beta Ray Bill first had Mjolnir, Oden wanted to summon Thor, but summoned Bill by mistake, so Oden was like, "O man." and then found the real Thor, and when Thor showed us he was all, "Dude! Give me back my cool hammer." and Bill was like, "Finder's keepers; losers weepers." so Oden was like, "I beat that hammer that you can't beat Thor in a fair fight." but Bill did manage to beating Thor fight and being like, "Time to pay up." and Oden was all, "Umm yeah. I didn't really expect you to win. How about I make you your own hammer and we call it even-Steven." and Bill being all like, "Sweet."

Both of these hammers have the same spell on them, meaning that 'Only one worthy of being Thor,' can lift them. If Bill and Thor held both their hammers at the same time then 2 Thors would exist, which violates pretty much all philosophical view on identity. The solution of this paradox is in the exact wording of the spell. The exact spell is, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of THOR". Bill never became Thor, he only became like Thor.

You know what, never-mind. my whole big thing there, is completely wrong. You see, a person named Jane Foster could wield Mjolnir and when Thor was no longer ably to lift it, she took on the alias Thor and Thor decided to only answer to his other name, which is Odenson. Thor is a title, not a name. When someone says, "Doctor, there is surly something you can do," they a person's title instead of their name. Same thing with the title 'Thor'.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Return to “News & Articles”