Articles about re: sex robots

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Ginger

Re: Articles about re: sex robots

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 am UTC

I think and believe bantler is operative on a faulty assumption: Namely: Hookers are abusing their clients, the justice system and laws as much as clients, onlookers, and the cops and courts may be abusing hookers. He's a assuming a predator prey model of life where hookers are predators preying on innocents. Whether those are the people that patronize them, the public at large or maybe even he bantler himself fears a violent hookers' attacks? In any case, I think he thinks he's being helpful and good, pointing out the evils of bad naughty criminals/prostitutes, and condemning them to lives in prison receiving force cares re: the justice systems... but... he's not doing any good. Anyone who's been intervention on can tell you: When someone forcibly takes away your rights and locks you in a room, handcuffs you, searches you violently or strip searches you?

It doesn't make your past abuses go away, or make you more stable in your head. So, pleasey-pleasey bantler: Get a clue about our justice system and interventions forcibly by laws and cops, 'cause none of that helps hookers, or any criminals, who really need REAL, ACTUAL help. Please consider my words with an open heart. Thank you. Sincerely, Ginger. <3
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

i mean, also, not all sex workers are victims to begin with*.

*with the caveat that i pretty much think literally everyone living under capitalism is in fact a victim of our screwed up society but i don't at all suppose those of you arguing that sex workers are "victims" who need REAL ACTUAL HELP are proactively arguing that of every single person in society, so. not all sex workers are uniquely victims, some of us choose it as much as anyone chooses what work we do and don't, actually, need help/saving/whatever other paternalistic condescending tripe y'all are spewing.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:54 pm UTC

natraj I think you are being overly dismissive of re: sex workers who didn't choose their jobs and would like different jobs, or capitalism is abusing them, and anyways... bantler was only talking about hookers/criminals who want or need help, not you, Who Chose to be A Sex Worker for goods or ills... so please, take YOUR PATERNALISTIC tripe you are spewing and get out of my sex 'bots thread if you gonna dismiss me, TGH and everyone else arguing criminals don't need prisons or jails times they need, real, actual assistance to live stable, productive lives. </3 4 u natraj right meow.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

bantler wrote:Prostitutes, like most criminals, are also victims. They should get the counseling and treatment they need to have productive stable lives. Jail might be the only way they can break their cycle of abuse.

emphasis mine. i don't see any qualification there. just a blanket statement about "prostitutes" being criminals. i responded to the statement as it was written. if bantler meant something else they can say so. i wasn't dismissing tgh because tgh is making right and proper statements. i wasn't, actually, dismissing anyone; i was just responding to the statements that have been said here as they have been said.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 pm UTC

OK, so I got that part wrong, STILL think you are being dismissive and maternal tripe spewing, and you still need to get out if you keep that up OR I am going to report you to SecondTalon for being abusive in good faiths discussions.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:OK, so I got that part wrong, STILL think you are being dismissive and maternal tripe spewing
how? Where is this dismissal and tripe spewing?
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm UTC

natraj wrote:i mean, also, not all sex workers are victims to begin with*.

*with the caveat that i pretty much think literally everyone living under capitalism is in fact a victim of our screwed up society [snips...] not all sex workers are uniquely victims, some of us choose it as much as anyone chooses what work we do and don't, actually, need help/saving/whatever other paternalistic condescending tripe y'all are spewing.

One: No one ever said ALL SEX WORKERS were victims, and no one even said word one about natraj or his life.
Two: 'paternalistic tripe spewing' was NOT A NEEDED Phrase in there and is just overly aggressive and makes me see red flags everywhere in his posts.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:One: No one ever said ALL SEX WORKERS were victims, and no one even said word one about natraj or his life
bantler wrote:Prostitutes, like most criminals, are also victims.
there is no "some prostitutes" in that statement.

Two: 'paternalistic tripe spewing' was NOT A NEEDED Phrase in there and is just overly aggressive and makes me see red flags everywhere in his posts.
you disliking the phrase "tripe spewing" doesnt make natraj's posts "tripe spewing".
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm UTC

Got me again re: what bantler actually said responding to my issues number one.

My issues number two tho': I can see WHATEVER I WANNA as overly aggressive and react accordingly, even expresses my dearest wish that they, 'leave me and TGH alone when we not even discussing them or their lives,' so. I think natraj was trying to dismiss me and other sex workers that didn't choose their jobs... just b/c he chose his job. and That, my friend, is paternalistic, and, condescending as f bomb to me. </3

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:00 pm UTC

Ginger wrote: I can see WHATEVER I WANNA as overly aggressive and react accordingly

To repeat a point that was made to you pretty recently, one reason people may not be responding to you is nicely summarized in the above quote.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:01 pm UTC

I think natraj was talking to the people forcing unwanted 'help' on sex workers that don't need or want it, rather than to sex workers that do need and want help.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Ginger wrote: I can see WHATEVER I WANNA as overly aggressive and react accordingly

To repeat a point that was made to you pretty recently, one reason people may not be responding to you is nicely summarized in the above quote.

Sighs. OK. I... need to rethink what I am saying... and no one has even been discuss sex 'bots in the thread so why am I even posting here? natraj might as well say whatever they wanna 'cause they got armies to defend them and I can only defend myself.

plytho wrote:I think natraj was talking to the people forcing unwanted 'help' on sex workers that don't need or want it, rather than to sex workers that do need and want help.

If that true facts then he needs to make his post less, overly aggressive, confrontational and rude. just my opinions of course he can take them, leave them or even Foes me forever and ever like morriswalters did? all his choices. <3

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:Sighs. OK. I... need to rethink what I am saying...
Self reflection is good, and I encourage anyone who isn't understanding why community interactions are going the way they want them to or expect to them to to really take a good look at themselves and think about their own actions/statements in the context of the community.

Leave out the pity party that followed.
Ginger wrote:If that true facts then he needs to make his post less, overly aggressive, confrontational and rude. just my opinions of course he can take them, leave them or even Foes me forever and ever like morriswalters did? all his choices. <3
All his choices and all your opinions which of course you are free to express. Can you try considering how this advice and opinion may be a good description of your own posting? And how, given your desire for other people to not post this way, what you can do to not post this way?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

I am so, so angry and sulky rite now. B/c no one wanna ever take my side, I get down voted on other forums JUST FOR suggesting we bring a female heroine back, and now I get down voted and argued b/c natraj seems... like, but is not? starting arguments? fine, i was wrong, and he was rites forevers. can we just move on and y'all just take my sex 'bots threads and use it however you wanna? 'cause I might as well be done here now.

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm UTC

plytho wrote:I think natraj was talking to the people forcing unwanted 'help' on sex workers that don't need or want it, rather than to sex workers that do need and want help.

basically yeah. when bantler is like 'prostitutes are victims like most criminals' and then goes on to say that JAIL will sort them out that's pretty much awful for the reasons hippo mentioned (because thinking jail is a good way to help literally anyone is awful) but also the initial premise that All Prostitutes Are Victims is a condescending place to start, anyway.

i feel like there's a difficulty too where in a lot of typical narrative about sex work people look at things as a binary with "consent" on one side and "force/coercion/trafficking/etc" on the other -- where people have this romanticized image of the High End Call Girl on one side, Empowered, Happy about her work, chooses all her clients because they are people she likes, enjoys what she does, etc.; and on the other end the lurid fetishized image of abused streetwalkers, probably drug addicted, probably got into the work underage, being beaten by their pimps who they have to turn over most of their money to, no way out of the job, etc.

but in the vast majority of cases (like with most work) there isn't exactly a binary so much as some sort of consent-circumstance-coercion spectrum where, probably, people might be working a different job if they had options -- access to better education, more stable housing, a job market in their area that had options with hours that worked for their schedule/disability/etc -- but who isn't that true of? if we had a robust social service system in this country that allowed people to not live in constant fear of no housing, no food, no medical care; if people had equal access to the education they wanted at all levels of education, if people had access to medical care, mental health and wellness services, drug addiction programs, etc; i suspect that lots of people would absolutely move out of sex work as well as plenty of other menial jobs -- and other people would stay in them, because they have flexible hours or allow them to do other things that they want with their lives etc.

but just saying lock up all the hookers because they're All Victims (untrue) and criminals (obviously true, because we've made it true) is really unhelpful. sex workers who are victims need many of the same services that lots of other struggling people in society need, and criminalization makes it difficult to sort out what those might be.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:B/c no one wanna ever take my side
you're going to need to be extremely patient on this. Not taking your side in an argument doesnt mean someone hates you. Nor does agreeing mean someone likes you.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm UTC

natraj wrote:

but also the initial premise that All Prostitutes Are Victims is a condescending place to start, anyway.

no one said that you are misrepresenting just to "win the threads" and make yourself seem right.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:
natraj wrote:

but also the initial premise that All Prostitutes Are Victims is a condescending place to start, anyway.

no one said that you are misrepresenting just to "win the threads" and make yourself seem right.
that is because it happens to be the case here that natraj is right, no misrepresentation of statements is happening (except by you), and no one is "winning" any thread.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

bantler won't be posting or reading LSR any more, and the attitude of "maybe all sex workers should be in jail" won't be tolerated here from anyone else, either.

Edit: it has been brought to my attention that this thread is not actually in LSR like I assumed when posting. bantler is still banned from there, but I suppose another mod will have to decide if they keep posting in N&A
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm UTC

natraj wrote:but just saying lock up all the hookers because they're All Victims (untrue) and criminals (obviously true, because we've made it true) is really unhelpful. sex workers who are victims need many of the same services that lots of other struggling people in society need, and criminalization makes it difficult to sort out what those might be.

It's always amazing when someone suggests prison as a means of "helping" someone, no matter what their situation; especially on the basis of that person being a victim. As far as ideas go, it's right up there with throwing bricks at someone who is drowning.

Regarding sex robots, since Ginger has been trying to steer the thread back that way...

I kind of doubt them ever being common, really... First off, they're incredibly expensive; so the only access most people will ever have is in brothels or other communal formats. Which basically amounts to a whole lot of people sharing a toy, with all that that involves, and counting on the folks running the brothel to keep things sanitary; good luck with that. Most customers will be in it for the novelty, and once that wears off it's really just a rubber f*** doll that tries to make conversation.

The AI will improve over time, and the costs will come down; and maybe someday both of those things will be at a level where they're really mainstream feasible; but I suspect that long before that time, there will be advances in VR that make the dolls irrelevant.

Finally, this is just opinion of course, but I think that no matter how realistic they become, there will always be a lot of people who prefer a real person.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 pm UTC

VR is great for auditory and visual senses. Physical senses, on which most of sex relies? Not so much.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:54 pm UTC

I think, with the right team, sex robots could be very realistic and charming. With the right ppls designing it it won't have uncanny valley so much. Maybe a lot still yet less than it would with an amateur. With the right personality programming it could chat w/u for hours about social sciences, maths, hard sciences... biology of humans and animals? With the right people designing its parts it could move fluidly and naturally. Of course, this is all assuming ideal circumstances. As it stands I largely agree that they're too expensive unwieldy and uncanny valley to be effective at their jobs.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:VR is great for auditory and visual senses. Physical senses, on which most of sex relies? Not so much.

You could use something like a body suit that uses pressure to simulate touch; you wouldn't need very much beyond what is available today in terms of technology to make that possible.

And within ten years - possibly less - it's likely they'll be able to introduce hallucinatory sights, sounds, and even touch directly into the brain. We're not necessarily talking about anything as realistic as the Matrix here; but just enough to enhance whatever you're seeing and hearing through the VR system.

In short, by the time the dolls are real enough to become common, they won't be necessary anymore.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:I think, with the right team, sex robots could be very realistic and charming. With the right ppls designing it it won't have uncanny valley so much. Maybe a lot still yet less than it would with an amateur. With the right personality programming it could chat w/u for hours about social sciences, maths, hard sciences... biology of humans and animals? With the right people designing its parts it could move fluidly and naturally. Of course, this is all assuming ideal circumstances. As it stands I largely agree that they're too expensive unwieldy and uncanny valley to be effective at their jobs.

Uncanny valley hasn't stopped sex workers with unnatural looking implants from getting more money.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

Yo, even if I could get bigger breasts through implants, I would jump on it. Yet: Sex workers like... whoever... and any sex robot worth its parts in scrap metals, needs to strike a balance, and too much uncanny valley turns me off at least. I can't speak for anyone else. You can enhance your appearance, build a better sex robot, or whatever... and as long as it doesn't effectively mimicry humanity no one wanna touches or kisses it.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 am UTC

We are missing the point of sex bots. Sex robots can be an elf with 4 boobs and a prehensile tongue. Sex robots can be a tigress-lady, the xenomorph from Alien, or anything else. Don't need to worry about uncanny valley when you weren't even trying to be human.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 am UTC

Gross yet possible, and I'm totes not missing the point, you are being... kinda hot and inappropriate sir.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 am UTC

Unless they can shrink the power usage the xenomorph is going to have wiring coming out of its ass. Although why you would consider sex with it eludes me. Maybe they will get the technology shrunk enough.

Rod Serling considered it. The earliest sex robot I know of in popular media was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. Guy on an asteroid prison gets a walking, talking, robot women as a gift from his space crew wardens. He gets paroled and the robot gets dumped on the asteroid. Gave me nightmares.

More on cphite's wavelength, Ready Player One posits special suits for people who just can't do it with other people. A clerk in a shop tells the protagonist that he's responsible for cleaning up after himself if he makes a mess. I wonder if Spielberg will put that in the movie?

There, now I talked about sex bots.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:38 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:Although why you would consider sex with it eludes me.

Rule 34
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 am UTC

I dunno about you all but xenomorphs were references for rapes, elves are white european fantasies, and... I am not touching on not even trying to be human. Most people I know like legal, healthy sex with humans or humanoid loves dolls. NOT xenomorphs or elves.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 am UTC

Brought up random examples of just weird shit that sex workers won't be able to do.

Also, most people don't use the services of sex workers. Wondering how many men would be willing to use a sex robot...

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 am UTC

My best guess is it's a niche market... like TG girls. Anyways, sex robots will be a thing and when they are it's the end of my job. On a brite side I shall be old when that happens. :D

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 pm UTC

So, umm, another question.

Do transgender sex workers make more or less than cisgender? I'd imagine the demand is lower, but like you said, niche market, supply much lower too.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 pm UTC

My experience is they make less because they have the wrong parts. It's my opinion that most men... and lesbian women... want women born women sex workers. Not TG girls. So: My clients would try to not pay me, run out on me, intimidate their monies back. And I sometimes had to threaten, dominate and flirt heavily to get even a little monies outta they cheating asses. Broke my heart and ravaged my souls.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

Most women don't want redheaded men, but the men that have red hair are much rarer than women that want redheads.

As for men running out on you without paying, I think that's just sex work in general rather than a trans worker thing.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 pm UTC

LOL y'all are wrong that, "most women don't want redheaded men," that smells and tastes like stereotypes to me, yet, I'm sure... you're right. That sex workers in general get run out on. I never claimed otherwise. I was just saying what I experience re: clients deciding they can rape me and then run out the door or punch me and take their wages, as they sees them, even though they are Mine once they enter My Hands. Back.

Another article re: sex 'bots by The Sun.

Return to “News & Articles”