Worldwide CO2 shortage

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: Worldwide CO2 shortage

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm UTC

I don't think a wall actually needs to be that high to trap CO2. CO2 is a very heavy gas, so I'm guessing a couple KM high wall would be enough to effectively prevent most of the American CO2 from escaping. Methane, however, is much lighter and does decay into safer CO2 in the upper atmosphere, so I don't know if we are including all the methane that spews out of Trump's cloaca.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:57 pm UTC

Mmm, if it's high enough to stop the clouds, it should work. Water vapor/rising air/atmospheric mixing can lift CO2 to some degree, despite it being heavier. Looking at some testing numbers, it seems like a mere 10,000 feet would be enough to make the concentration a third lower. So, a wall of such a modest, not quite trump sized ego-height would still keep out some foreign CO2.

Polluting our environment is an American job. We can't allow foreigners to take that from us! Build the wall today.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:53 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Mmm, if it's high enough to stop the clouds, it should work. Water vapor/rising air/atmospheric mixing can lift CO2 to some degree, despite it being heavier. Looking at some testing numbers, it seems like a mere 10,000 feet would be enough to make the concentration a third lower. So, a wall of such a modest, not quite trump sized ego-height would still keep out some foreign CO2.

Polluting our environment is an American job. We can't allow foreigners to take that from us! Build the wall today.

I would say it doubles as a space elevator, but then I realized that 10000 feet is nothing compared to LEO.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:01 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Mmm, if it's high enough to stop the clouds, it should work. Water vapor/rising air/atmospheric mixing can lift CO2 to some degree, despite it being heavier. Looking at some testing numbers, it seems like a mere 10,000 feet would be enough to make the concentration a third lower. So, a wall of such a modest, not quite trump sized ego-height would still keep out some foreign CO2.

I would say it doubles as a space elevator, but then I realized that 10000 feet is nothing compared to LEO.

There's limits to the analogy with Trump's ego. For starters I doubt you could make a wall high enough with a material that fragile.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:21 pm UTC

You heard it here first folks, Trump is a marvel of modern engineering. It shouldn't be possible, yet it exists!

Return to “News & Articles”