Clinton speculates about joint ticket with Obama

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Arancaytar

Clinton speculates about joint ticket with Obama

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Clinton appears to have dropped hints that she might seek to join forces with Obama.

In practice, I don't think they'll agree who gets to be president until they have duked it out to symbolical death with one of them being assured the nomination. At this point, neither of them will back down.

quoth Clinton wrote:but, of course, we have to decide who is on the top

... sorry. Dirty mind.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Clinton speculates about joint ticket with Obama

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
quoth Clinton wrote:but, of course, we have to decide who is on the top

... sorry. Dirty mind.

My kingdom for some brain bleach....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Better Clinton-Obama than Clinton alone, that's what I say.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

My kingdom for some brain bleach....

Wait, this bottle of brain bleach I have here is worth admin powers? Wow. :P

And I agree about Clinton-Obama and Clinton.
Last edited by Arancaytar on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

Clinton would be committing political suicide if she appointed anyone else (unless Obama refuses, in which case it's a bit more like political murder). If Obama gets the nomination, then he has a little more freedom (I've seen Bill Richardson suggested) but it would probably be a good idea to pick Hilary.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

The earlier they join up, the less money, time and goodwill they waste while McCain rallies the Republicans.

But neither wants to concede their realistic chance at heading the ticket until they genuinely believe the other candidate will win.

There's something of a Nash equilibrium here.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

It's too early for either to concede, they're so close. But I can't see Clinton agreeing to work under Obama. I could see him maybe agreeing to be her VP, but I really don't think they'd work well together. I think Edwards has the best chance of being VP, for either of them.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Great, that way they can ensure that they'll get *neither* the racist nor sexist vote.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

lanicita, I agree with you that I don't think they will work well together, but on paper, they should. All I hear from political analysts is how the battle is not a battle of issues, and that they are actually quite well aligned in their stances.

That said,
lanicita wrote:It's too early for either to concede, they're so close.
I was under the impression that Ohio and Texas were both "must wins" for Clinton last night and that without either of them, this whole thing would pretty much be over by now, and that she pretty much has to win out to really have a realistic shot at this point.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

btilly

Postby btilly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:Clinton would be committing political suicide if she appointed anyone else (unless Obama refuses, in which case it's a bit more like political murder). If Obama gets the nomination, then he has a little more freedom (I've seen Bill Richardson suggested) but it would probably be a good idea to pick Hilary.

I don't know about political suicide. However I agree that Obama would be a very good choice for VP for Hillary. Because she needs to reach out to independents, and he does that very well.

That said, Hillary would be a horrible choice for Obama. She carries a lot of negatives and no positives for him. She motivates the Republican base for McCain. She pushes independents from Obama to McCain. And Obama already is pretty appealing to a lot of Hillary supporters.

I'd also be surprised if either choose Edwards. The hope with him is that he might deliver the South. But he didn't do that in 2004. Hillary already has fairly deep roots down South thanks to her husband, and Obama's early win in South Carolina demonstrates that he polls well there.

People guess that Obama will pick a VP candidate who targets a particular demographic and has no particular negatives. Hispanics are an obvious demographic to target, hence the Bill Richardson suggestion.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 am UTC

*When* Obama wins can we have the two tickits be Obama/McKain Vs McKain/Obama? That would be best I think.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 am UTC

Imagine JFK as vice president. No. It wouldn't have worked. His personality, his vision, were too big for the VP chair. A guy like Obama either ought to be president or no where near the white house.

Obama might decide 8 years in the white house is better experience than 8 years in the senate, but it wouldn't be a smooth fit. Personally I think he'd be able to accomplish more in the senate.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Obama might decide 8 years in the white house is better experience than 8 years in the senate, but it wouldn't be a smooth fit. Personally I think he'd be able to accomplish more in the senate.

That's a good point. I agree. Dick Cheney is kind of an anomaly, usually VPs don't get to do much of anything.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:lanicita, I agree with you that I don't think they will work well together, but on paper, they should. All I hear from political analysts is how the battle is not a battle of issues, and that they are actually quite well aligned in their stances.

That said,
I was under the impression that Ohio and Texas were both "must wins" for Clinton last night and that without either of them, this whole thing would pretty much be over by now, and that she pretty much has to win out to really have a realistic shot at this point.

She has won both of them, although Texas was by the breadth of a hair. This doesn't mean she is winning, it just means she hasn't lost yet.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Great, that way they can ensure that they'll get *neither* the racist nor sexist vote.

Granted, if someone is really racist or sexist enough that they would vote for the other party or a third party instead of the candidate that best represented their views, they would most likely not vote for a Democrat anyway.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Last I heard, Texas was pretty much split 50/50 between Clinton and Obama. Meaning it was basically a wash. (Texas is not an all for one state, so they both won delegates, it was close in the primaries and Obama won the caucus). She's still behind but it's even closer now and there is a chance she might catch up or surpass Obama.

I don't think they should or would have a joint ticket, maybe Clinton/Obama, but it'd be a cold day in hell before there was an Obama/Clinton I think.

I'm interested to see how the democratic party sorts everything out though, they seem to have a nice mess on their hands either way.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

btilly wrote:
++$_ wrote:Clinton would be committing political suicide if she appointed anyone else (unless Obama refuses, in which case it's a bit more like political murder). If Obama gets the nomination, then he has a little more freedom (I've seen Bill Richardson suggested) but it would probably be a good idea to pick Hilary.

People guess that Obama will pick a VP candidate who targets a particular demographic and has no particular negatives. Hispanics are an obvious demographic to target, hence the Bill Richardson suggestion.

I've made the same suggestion before, but it seems that the Senate seat that Richardson currently holds is way too valuable to give up to the Republican challenger. The offer could be made, but I'd be surprised if Richardson took it on that account.

I think right now, it's still just speculation. But, I feel that Clinton would have more to benefit by having Obama as a running mate, while Obama would not benefit so much from having Clinton as a running mate. This feeling might be colored by my own support of Obama over Clinton, however. KF
~Kizyr

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
22/7 wrote:lanicita, I agree with you that I don't think they will work well together, but on paper, they should. All I hear from political analysts is how the battle is not a battle of issues, and that they are actually quite well aligned in their stances.

That said,

She has won both of them, although Texas was by the breadth of a hair. This doesn't mean she is winning, it just means she hasn't lost yet.

Yeah, I know. That's what I was saying. Had she lost either one of them, she'd pretty much be out of the race, and as it stands winning them both is probably just delaying the inevitable.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

reflectia

Postby reflectia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:I've made the same suggestion before, but it seems that the Senate seat that Richardson currently holds is way too valuable to give up to the Republican challenger. The offer could be made, but I'd be surprised if Richardson took it on that account.

I don't recall Richardson having a Senate seat...
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Two things.

One-- Richardson is a governor.

Two-- even if he was a senator , it would be perfectly acceptable for him to simultaneously run for VP and the Senate. That's what Leiberman did in 2000, if you remember. If he'd won both, he'd have become VP and the governor of Connecticut would have chosen a new Senator.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

hillary would bend over backwards to get obama as a vice president if she wins. If obama wins however, it is far less likely he would choose Hillary. This is why Hillary hasn't backed out of the race yet IMHO.

I think we'll see:
Obama/Edwards
or
Clinton/Obama
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 am UTC

reflectia wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I've made the same suggestion before, but it seems that the Senate seat that Richardson currently holds is way too valuable to give up to the Republican challenger. The offer could be made, but I'd be surprised if Richardson took it on that account.

I don't recall Richardson having a Senate seat...

::smacks forehead::

Sorry, I meant governor... governorship...

EsotericWombat wrote:Two-- even if he was a senator , it would be perfectly acceptable for him to simultaneously run for VP and the Senate. That's what Leiberman did in 2000, if you remember. If he'd won both, he'd have become VP and the governor of Connecticut would have chosen a new Senator.

It wasn't the acceptability I was thinking of, it was the strategery of it. It would be acceptable; I just don't think he'd go for it, if the option were presented. KF
~Kizyr

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Actually I don't think Hillary is even going to make the call if she wins. Or at the very least, I find her joint ticket rhetoric at this stage suspect.

What she's trying to do here is reach out to people who she's managed to scare into questioning their support for Obama with her experience rhetoric and 3am phone call ad. She's saying, "vote for me and I might still give you your Obama on the undercard.

And in the case of Richardson, unless he has a Lieutenant Governor who won't hold up in the next election, I don't think that would be an issue either.

Return to “News & Articles”